BRING ON TEH NEWS!
Hello my friends, and happy Tuesday, 11/12/13! Iget a kick out of that. I’ve collected enough stories to do one of these digest thingies, so let’s dive in, shall we?
- Star Citizen – They’ve now passed $27 million in funding! WOW. The newest stretch goal, for $29 million, will allow for enhanced missions for Squadron 42, the game’s single player component. Glad that’ll be getting some more love. The Mittani also has a video showing off the Constellation in all of her glory. Gotta love the Connie. In-game stuff includes three lore updates and a news update, and out-of-game you can now buy physical goods like shirts and the like. Finally, there’s an interview with animator Daniel Craig (no, not that one).
- Rogue System – There’s a new development entry showing off an image of a strike fighter fuselage, and talking about the modeled cockpit.
- Space Engineers – According to the lead dev’s blog, the game has sold 100,000 copies in three weeks. Not too shabby!
- Wing Commander – The CIC has some shots of a fan-made Christopher Blair (WC1-2 era) model, so we can finally get a better look at one of our favorite heroes. Nice stuff. I also really want this Kilrathi keyboard. A lot.
- Galactose – There’s some new music coming to the game courtesy of its composer, and you can hear a sampling by following a link in the post.
- Freeworlds: Tides of War – Thanks to The Starport for making me aware that the devs have a new video talking about the state of the mod. FINALLY. :)
- Predestination – Space Sector has an interview with the devs checking in a year after their successful Kickstarter completed.
- Galactic Civilization III – There’s a new post covering Drengin ship design. I like their wedge shaped designs myself. There’s also an interview with Brad Wardell about the game on Strategy Informer.
- Drox Operative – There’s a new patch made up of mostly bug fixes.
- Interstellaria – I found this Kickstarter campaign the other day and TOTALLY backed it, as it looks awesome. They also have a recent update on the game’s mechanics.
- The Mandate – There’s a new dev log on their Kickstarter, with some new screenshots of cap ship interiors. You can also learn more about Her Majesty’s Service.
- Void Destroyer – Because the game is about to enter Steam early access (YAY), Paul has posted his plans for prettying up the game for its launch. Cool!
- Eterium – There’s a new dev update on Kickstarter showing off some screenshots from some new missions. Can we play it yet? ;)
- Endless Space – There are a couple of posts covering The Search for Auriga, such as features in the expansion and a new hero.
- Voidnex Frontier – Unlike last time, wherein I incorrectly posted an old update, there’s actually a NEW update with information on weapons and more!
- X Rebirth – There’s a new video showing off the long range scanner in the game. Man I want this now.
- Kerbal Space Program – You can now buy the game on GameFly along with the other previous options.
- SkyJacker – The game has made it to the Steam Greenlight top 50, and there’s a new video of a YTG cruiser on their Kickstarter!
- EVE Online – There’s a new In Development video looking at the upcoming Rubicon expansion.
Finally, our buddy SolCommand is having a contest wherein you can win a copy of Diamant Tools for Maya, which are apparently both awesome and expensive! Check ‘em out!
That’s it for today folks! Have a great one!
Videos? Right this way…
drox operative, endless space, Eterium, eve online, Freeworlds Tides of War, Galactic Civilization III, Galactose, Interstellaria, Kerbal Space Program, predestination, rogue system, skyjacker, Space Engineers, star citizen, The Mandate, Void Destroyer, Voidnex Frontier, wing commander, x rebirth
NEWS TIME! EXCELLENT!
Hello everyone, and happy hump day! It’s time for another newsey digestey thingy, and there’s a good chunk of stuff to go over today, so let’s get to it!
- Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion – Out of nowhere is new DLC today entitled, The Stellar Phenomena, which adds random events, new stars and deep space anomalies. It’s going for $4.99 on Steam right now.
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – These folks not only have a new website, but new forums as well! Give ‘em a visit!
- Kerbal Space Program – The devs have released a quick list of some of the features of the next version of the game, including a science lab module, 3D mouse support and more. Das24680 also has a new Let’s Play installment looking at the new career mode, which I have to check out my own self.
- Star Citizen – There’s a post looking at the in-game Astro Armada marketing campaign, as well a gallery of the interior of the Idris corvette, which looks seeeeeeeexay. The devs also announced AMD Mantle support for the game.
- Voidnex Frontier – A admittedly long awaited update covers the game’s new graphics and combat system.
- Wing Commander – According to the CIC, the user-created Concordia hangar has been updated which now adds a Scimitar medium fighter, along with a new paint job for the Sabre. They also have some new user art to share with us.
- Endless Space – The Amplitude site has two new posts covering The Search for Auriga, one on balancing and another on a new robotic hero in the expansion.
- The Mandate – A new post over on Kickstarter covers stretch goals, PayPal and DRM among other things.
- Galactic Civilizations III – There’s new information in the game’s databanks covering the various civilizations in the game.
- SkyJacker – A new post on Kickstarter details their rise through Steam Greenlight and also includes a video of a YTG strike group.
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a new YouTube video showing off fog and asteroids in the game. Are you happy now Mathias?!?! ARE YOU?! ;)
- Star Conflict – The folks behind the game are looking for translators to help with the French, Spanish and German versions of the game. Do you have what it takes?
- EVE Online – The official site has a new post covering the Sisters of EVE faction ships in the upcoming expansion, Rubicon. The Mittani also has news of a civil war in the Amarr militia, and a battle report showing off bombing runs in Doril.
- Spacebase DF-9 – A new blog post discusses balance changes in the next version of the alpha game.
- Infinite Pixels – You can now pick this game up on Desura if you so desire, according to the game’s IndieDB page, which also includes a new launch trailer.
Finally, the Bundle in a Box folks have a new Indie Strategy Game Bundle which includes AI War and a bunch of other titles for a $1.99 minimum purchase, which is a good deal if you ask me.
That’s it for today folks. Have an awesome one!
You want your videos? We got your videos right here!
ai war, Deep Space Settlement, endless space, eve online, galactic civilizations iii, Infinite Pixels, Kerbal Space Program, PULSAR: Lost Colony, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, Spacebase DF-9, star citizen, Star Conflict, The Mandate, Voidnex Frontier, wing commander
Kerbal in the Klassroom? ;)
PCGamesN has the story of TeacherGaming — which already has a Minecraft-based educational program — teaming up with Kerbal Space Program developer Squad to put together an educational program based on the game. The program will offer educational discounts for schools purchasing the game, as well as an in-house launcher and update program to tweak the game more for its proposed classroom settings. Personally, I think this is an awesome idea and am wondering why it’s not been done sooner. :) You can read more at the article linked to on the PCGamesN website, and this reminds me I need to revisit the game now that it has something of a career mode thanks to its recent update.
MOAR NEWS FOR YOU!
Hello my friends, and happy Wednesday! I hope y’all are more awake than I am! SOOO TIRED! However, there’s news to report, and I’m trying to do this at least regularly enough that nothing gets missed, so let’s do this thing called news!
- Star Citizen – Tomorrow, 10/10/13, is the one year anniversary of the announcement of this game, so the RSI folks will have a celebratory livestream tomorrow, as well as a sale on some ships (ouch, my wallet!), but they’re also running a photo contest. They also passed the $21 million mark, which allows for salvage operations, something I am VERY excited about. There is also a Showdown news update and a guide to the Ellis system.
- Tactical Space Command – This Mac/iOS-only game is very much akin to “Harpoon in space”, as the developer who emailed me to let me know if its existence calls it. It’s pretty cool, so check it out.
- Voindex Frontier – Here’s another game that’s new-to-me, as it were. Looks pretty cool. :)
- SkyJacker – These folks have now launched their fourth Kickstarter campaign, so let’s hope this time they succeed!
- Epic Space Game – Their Kickstarter succeeded!!! YAY! Congrats to Edward and his team!
- Lunar Flight – The official site has an update on the upcoming Oculus Rift build for y’all to gawk at.
- FTL – Over on Quarter to Three, they’re running Starship Week, and there’s a new entry looking at this game and it’s impact (don’t worry, I have some stuff over there too I’ll link to separately).
- Kerbal Space Program – A new edition of KSP Weekly is up, and word that the long-awaited 0.22 version has entered the experimental phase, which brings it that much closer to release.
- Privateer 2 – Some enterprising fans of the game have released a patch which fixes some issues with the GOG version of the game, such as the interlaced video and such. I tried it but it made my joystick go all kerbibble, so I might go without.
- Drox Operative – A new beta patch for the game fixes memory leaks and a host of other issues.
- 90Edges Universe – The official blog has a progress update on how the game is coming along.
- X-Wing – The Old Game Magazines site has an image of an original ad for the game from 1993! Cool! Certainly brings back memories, it does.
- Wing Commander – From the CIC, we get word of both a Hellcat modeled into Wing Commander Academy and a 3D model of good old Bluehair from the first two games.
- Galactose – The official site has word of a new character outline.
- Star Trek Online – We have a couple of blog entries from the developers to look at, one on comm arrays and another on the Avenger-class cruiser (which is a damned sexy ship).
- Star Wars: The Old Republic – Apparently they’re getting a 12v12 online space combat arena thingy. Whoopie.
Next up, we have several sales, including:
- First up, Groupees is having a 1C Mega Bundle, in which you can buy two or more games for a SONG, and they include all three Star Wolves games as well as Parkan II, so jump on this as they’re all awesome.
- Speaking of Star Wolves, the Indie Gala Store is having a bundle of all three games for $4.99, but the Groupees bundle is still cheaper.
- Bundle Stars is having a great Quickfire Indie Bundle which includes Space Pirates and Zombies for $3.49, which is a decent deal for the other games you also get as well.
- Finally, FireFlower games is having a Sci-Fi Sale which includes games such as Ring Runner, The Tomorrow War and, again, all Star Wolves games. The prices aren’t the greatest though, but I wanted to make y’all aware of it regardless.
Finally, in related news, the aforementioned Not on Steam Sale is over, but apparently it has a huge success. Also, the latest game from those hardworking folks at Arcen Games, Bionic Dues, is now available.
That’s it for today folks, have a great one!
90Edges Universe, drox operative, epic space game, FTL, Kerbal Space Program, Lunar Flight, Parkan II, Privateer 2, Ring Runner, skyjacker, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, star trek online, star wolves, Tactical Space Command, the tomorrow war, Voindex Frontier, wing commander, x-wing
Hey y’all, just chiming in to let y’all know that Kerbal Space Program is the daily deal on Steam today, going for $13.79. Considering how much you can already do in this game, and how much content is planned, that’s a freaking steal, so if you have any interest, snag it. If you wanna get a look at the game in action, check out this video I did with some friends below. Enjoy, and happy crashing (oh yes, you will crash). ;)
Beepity Beep Beep Beepity Beep…
Hey folks, happy Wednesday! I hope y’all are having a great week so far! On my end, I am tiiiiiiiiiired, so tired I’ve not even felt motivated enough to…*gasp*…play games! I hope that changes soon, but until then, the best I can do is keep y’all informed with newsiness, so here goes! :)
- Paragon – Okay, first off, I need to make a public correction and apology. A few days ago, I called this game out for giving me the “mistaken impression it’s a new game.” The game’s developer wrote me an explanatory email discussing what was going into Paragon to make it “different from Pioneer in practically every way” by the time it’s done, that two of the Pioneer devs also currently work on Paragon and so forth and that they intend the game to be initially free through Steam via Greenlight. I would therefore like to publicly apologize for my previous remarks, and I look forward to seeing the game evolve into something new and unique in time. I try to maintain a positive attitude here, and in this I failed, so again, I apologize.
- Enemy Starfighter – The official site has a new dev blog looking at the lessons learned from PAX while using the Oculus Rift. The Escapist also has a lovely little writeup on the game with some screens I don’t recall seeing before. We’ll also have the developer on our next podcast, so stay tuned! :)
- Drox Operative – The latest patch is out of beta, and adds new quest rewards, fixes a lot of little bugs and so on.
- Star Citizen – You can read some in-game fiction called A Struggle for Goodness, as well as a press roundup covering the game at PAX Prime. They also have some coverage of their forums, which has undergone an overhaul, as well as an interview with Kyle Rockman, tools programmer on the game.
- Kerbal Space Program – The latest edition of the KSP weekly has been released with lots of updatey goodness.
- Galactose – A new blog post discusses drone AI in the game.
- EVE Valkyrie – According to The Mittani, CCP has hired DICE veteran Owen O’Brien to head development of the upcoming VR game.
- EVE Online – The Mittani also has article covering the fall of TGA as well as an in-depth look at SOLAR Fleet.
- Wing Commander – According to the CIC, there’s a new trailer for the Last Line of Defense mod as well as a fan-created Kilrathi keyboard, which is just awesome.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a new dev blog looking at Romulan Tactical Warbirds, which are just so damned sexy it’s ridiculous.
- Predestination – A recent update announced that the first playable beta of the game will be available soon, and it’ll focus on combat! Yay!
- Skyjacker – Milestone R2 of the Starship Constructor is finished and released to backers (yay!), and their Facebook page has some screenshots of their sexy new UI.
- Eterium – The official site has been updated with a screenshot of a large escort mission in progress. Yay, escort missions! ;)
- Drifter – There’s a little Vine video of the main ship’s afterburners in action.
- Star Conflict – A new dev blog talking about the upcoming implementation of corporate logos has been posted.
- Astrobase Command – There’s a new blog post talking about how the game’s progressing, including ranks, crew quarters and so on.
Next up, we have two deals today. First, GOG’s daily sale is Ring Runner for $4.99, which is a steal for how much content this game has and how fun the gameplay is (yes, I’m still working on the review ;). The other deal is that the latest Humble Bundle has launched, and for currently a little less than $5, you can get FTL and several other, non-spacey games.
Finally, I thought this was funny. One of the websites I follow is TVShowsonDVD.com, and when they had an announcement on a new DVD set for a show called Space Rangers, I totally did a triple-take. Sadly, it has nothing to do with the much-beloved Russian game of the same name, but it looks interesting nonetheless.
That’s it for today folks! Have an awesome one!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey Dealsies 9/10-11/13: The Apology Edition” »
Astrobase Command, drifter, drox operative, enemy starfighter, Eterium, eve online, eve: valkyrie, FTL, Galactose, Kerbal Space Program, Paragon, predestination, Ring Runner, skyjacker, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, wing commander
Bring All Guns to Bear!
Helllooo friends, and welcome to another Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I sit down with Chris Adderley and Alex Catamo, the lead developers on Star Villains and Space Heroes. If you’re unaware, Star Villains and Space Heroes isn’t another fighter-based space game (though we all do love those), but rather a game of capital ship combat, something that even this genre is fairly rare (sadly). We talk to Chris and Alex all about their game, plus a bunch of other stuff, as is our usual. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
We hope you enjoy the discussion, look forward to your comments below, and invite you to subscribe to us via iTunes or RSS. Thanks as always for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #29: Cap Ships and the Heroes (and Villains) Who Love Them…” »
Battlecruiser 3000 A.D., freespace 2, FTL, Independence War, Kerbal Space Program, Rules of Engagement, Star Trek Bridge Commander, Star Trek Klingon Academy, Star Trek: Armada, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, star villains and space heroes, star wars: tie fighter, Starshatter, Ur-Quan Masters
The News Sure Piles Up…
Hellloooo my friends, and happy Monday! I hope y’all had a lovely weekend and are looking forward to a fun week ahead! Me, I am sooooo tired, and haven’t had time to get in much gaming besides some Skyrim (I have such an on-again, off-again relationship with the game…I’ll play it obsessively for weeks, to the detriment of any other game) and some time with the Starpoint Gemini 2 alpha. Not much there yet, but it’s fun to fly around and shoot stuff at the moment. Anyway, news! Let’s get to it! (All vids will be embedded after the cut, FYI.)
- Space Engineers – So this was announced today, and it’s coming to us from the same folks who made Miner Wars 2081. Not sure if this means the MMO version of Miner Wars is toast or what, but I’ll keep an eye on this one (warily so, since MW2081 turned out to be something of a mess). Oh, there’s also some alpha game footage. Also, some unofficial game trailers courtesy of their forums. Finally, a blog entry from the game’s lead dev. Can you read my excitement? Good, you noticed there wasn’t any. (It might also be because I’m exhausted too…)
- Star Citizen – There’s a new entry in A Separate Law, a letter from Chris Roberts about passing $18 million in crowdfunding, and the latest episode of the Wingman’s Hangar (which I didn’t know one could get on YouTube or I’d have linked them sooner, sorry). Also, there’s a Massively interview with CI’s Ben Lesnick and Dave Haddock about the game (thanks Wing Commander CIC for the link).
- Star Trek Online – Part seven of Massively’s visit to Cryptic is online, as is an interview with some of the game’s developers on the G & T Show.
- Kaiser Earth – A new game mode called Super Kaiser Earth is on the way with a more direct control style. I need to give this game a whirl.
- Elite: Dangerous – The latest edition of their newsletter (thanks Wild Bill! for sending it along) discusses the creation of stations and ships.
- EVE Online – If you recall, I mentioned a bit ago that an anniversary edition of the game is coming out which includes a Rifter USB hub. Well, a fan got his hands on an early version of the Rifter, and it is sexy (she’s always been one of my favorite looking ships in EVE). In other news, The Mittani is reporting that, just a week after being released with Odyssey 1.1, the first Moracha has been destroyed already, an another expensive ship, a Caldari Raven valued at 60 billion ISK, has been lost, N3 is evicting The Gorgon Empire ships from its systems and aparently TRIBE will be disbanding.
- Drox Operative – A new beta patch has some planetary-based fixes, racial fixes and so on.
- Wing Commander – Thanks to podcast co-host Jim for first pointing this out to me. Apparently Howard Day — who we talked to recently on the podcast — felt inspired by the recent Star Citizen hangar and decided to create a Concordia hangar in Unity wherein one could walk around a ConFed Broadsword bomber (one of my faaaaves). It’s REALLY awesome, so go check it out.
- ScrumbleShip – There’s a new screenshot of…something…I forget what, since I snagged it from Twitter and lost the Tweet…looks cool though…The dev also has a post about porting cross-platform games to OSX for the techically minded.
- Star Conflict – The devs have released their revised game development plan, which is pretty cool of them. I’m always a fan of this sort of transparency.
- Kerbal Space Program – The devs have released a features video looking at some of the new stuff in the upcoming 0.22 version.
- Infinite Pixels – A new alpha gives the game a much nicer cell-shaded look along with new enemies and other fixes. There’s a new video to show all this off, too.
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – There’s a new video Q&A up in which the developers answer fan questions.
- Starlight Conflict – Apparently they’ve been approved for Steam! Horray, congrats to the team, that’s a big deal! :)
- Ring Runner – Those who own the game should have access to the beta of the new MOBA-like mode, according to this update. I’ve not tried it myself, though. :/
- X Rebirth – There’s a new nearly five-minute preview video available to make your video card cry (or maybe it’s just mine).
- Echelon – Pixelmusement continues their excellent coverage of classic DOS games with this popular title from 1987.
- Kickstarters – I found two of ‘em to share with y’all, Hadron’s Forge and Cimmerian Space. Check ‘em out!
Now, in deals, there are a decent few for y’all! First off, Gamefly is having a Kalypso sale which includes Legends of Pegasus for $15.99. Then, Greeman Gaming is having a Value Pack Week which includes plenty of sales, most notably Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity for $6.79, which oddly isn’t included in the Stardock complete pack for $56.97 (but Rebellion is), and finally, they have a Strike Suit Zero pack for $13.49.
Finally, in related news, since Gearbox is lending its support to the (now entitled) Homeworld: Shipbreakers, the game will no longer be free-to-play but a full commercial product! Hooray!
That’s it for today folks! Have a great one!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Dealsies 9/6-9/13: Case-Of-The-Mondays Edition” »
drox operative, Echelon, elite: dangerous, eve online, Infinite Pixels, Kaiser Earth, Kerbal Space Program, legends of pegasus, PULSAR: Lost Colony, Ring Runner, ScrumbleShip, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, Starlight Conflict, Starpoint Gemini 2, strike suit zero, wing commander, x rebirth
AW YEAH! NEWS!
Hello my friends, and happy hump day! I hope y’all are having a great week. My week’s been pretty good, got some gaming time with a couple of space games, and have been working to line up more guests for the podcast. Our latest guest was an amazingly pleasant surprise, so stay tuned for that. ;) Now, onto the news!
- Star Citizen – On the official site, we have a press roundup covering the recently releasd hangar module, as well an in-game news update from The Observist. Elsewhere we have two YouTube videos showing what intrepid fans can do when modding the hangar’s Crytek engine, such as flying around a 300i and adding weapons to a P-52 Merlin.
- Wing Commander – The observant folks over at the always-awesome Wing Commander CIC noticed that even with Microsoft’s purchase of Nokia, the company should still continue to exist in order to make ConFed radar stations in the 27th century. ;) There’s also a lovely update covering a fan-made Hellcat model.
- Open Imperium Galactica – Another day, another update, this time with crash fixes and updated AI.
- Paragon – In perusing through Steam Greenlight today for the first time in a while, I happened upon this neat looking space trading game. I’ll find out more soon, and lookit, there’s an alpha to try!
- Void Destroyer – Apparently both the beta (which I really need to dive into) and the demo have recently been updated, according to a post on Kickstarter.
- Epic Space Game – There’s now a new Kickstarter-exclusive ship that will be available to backers, the Aequitas-class corvette. I hope this gets funded so I can get into the beta and try it all out. :) Hint. Hint. ;)
- FleetCOMM : Operation Vigrior – A new post on Kickstarter details what’s been dropped and what will be added before the game’s final release in October. I’m honestly quite upset we’ll be losing the open world missions, that was my most anticipated feature. :(
- Beyond Beyaan – A new post discusses primarly the races in Master of Orion 2 and how they’ll be implemented into the game.
- Kerbal Space Program – I really need to go to DragonCon, as they have the best cosplayers, evidenced by these folks here. Just amazing stuff, they even got the faces perfectly right.
- Endless Space – The Amplitude folks put up a post about their trip to Vancouver for the Unity awards.
- Crimson – I found this procedurally generated spacey shootey thing on Kickstarter today, and wanted to share it.
That’s it! Have a good one folks!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News 9/4/13: The Only One Day Edition ;)” »
beyond beyaan, Crimson, endless space, epic space game, FleetCOMM : Operation Vigrior, Kerbal Space Program, Master of Orion 2, Open Imperium Galactica, Paragon, star citizen, Void Destroyer, wing commander
Help Me Puppy! I’m Burred in News!
Holy crap, newsiness! It’s been a while since I posted some of this stuff, but DAAAAAYUM has life been crazy. Work has been INSANE, home life has been busy and I had a weird slightly-depressive funk I had to work my way through (nothing bad, just turning 40 stuff mostly), but things are balancing out again, which means it’s time for NEWS, and hooooooly crap is there a ton (over 180 items). Several weeks worth of stuff from all over the map (so much so that this post will likely be written over a mult-day period). This post will be so damned big I’ll have to put it behind a cut just to help make the front page look sane, so here goes…
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Deals 8/10/13-9/3/13: A News Post So Big I Hope It Doesn’t Break the Site…” »
0x10c, Aeon Command, ai war, Artemis, Astrobase Command, beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, Deuteros, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, elite, elite: dangerous, endless space, enemy starfighter, epic space game, Eterium, eve online, eve: valkyrie, freespace 2, freespace open, galactic civilizations ii, Galactose, Galaxia Conquestum, Galaxy Union, GoD Factory: Wingmen, horizon, Infinite Pixels, Infinite Space 3, Kaiser Earth, Kerbal Space Program, Last Jungle in Sector 17, limit theory, Lunar Flight, m.o.r.e., Master of Orion II, Obliterate Everything 2 Gold, Open Imperium Galctica, PULSAR: Lost Colony, quintet, retrobooster, rodina, solar war, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, star villains and space heroes, starpoint gemini ii, starsector, StellarBrink, strike suit zero, sword of the stars, System Lords, Vendetta Online, void of darkness, wayward terran frontier, wing commander, x rebirth, x3 albion prelude, x3 terran conflict