Spacey Gamey Newsiness 1/13/14: LIKE A PHOENIX RISING FROM THE ASHES Edition ;)
Hello my friends, and welcome to NEWS. ;) I’m starting the year from scratch, as I had way too many news thingies in my queue slowing me down, so this is news from the past couple of weeks or so. I’m really gonna strive to do this more regular-like, but no promises. There’s a ton of fun stuff here, and as always, videos are embedded below. :) Now, let’s get on with it. :)
- Void Destroyer – OMG according to the game’s Kickstarter, the early-released version of the game is going to be on Steam THIS WEDNESDAY! YAY! Two new trailers have been released as well, which will be embedded below.
- FleetCOMM : Operation Vigrior – Two updates in the last several days explain why the project is behind, and where it’s going from here. I’m still excited to play the thing my own self. There’s also a video below of the game’s dynamic planet generator.
- Ring Runner – The Videogame Backlog has a review of the game which is fairly positive. There’s also a video Q&A with the devs on the Sweet!Creeper YouTube channel
- Wing Commander: Armada – According to the CIC, an enterprising fan has launched a server through Classic Gaming Arena for up to sixteen players.
- Super Wing Commander – Also according to the CIC, the folks at Edge Magazine took a look at the classic 3DO version of the game.
- Wing Commander: Prophecy – Finally from the CIC, an enterprising fan has written an upgrade patch for the OEM version of this game which, back in 1997 came with the Real3D Starfighter and missed out on the advanced effects put out by the 3dFX version, and brings the OEM version up to use OpenGL. I love fans that do stuff like this.
- Wings of Saint Nezaire – There’s a new video on the official site showing off the cockpit of the new Cobra heavy fighter, also embedded below.
- Eterium – On the game’s Kickstarter is a new update talking about a new demo, the beta being approved on Desura and much more
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager – The game is undergoing an evolution of sorts, which will include a new campaign, widescreen support and more.
- Predestination – The folks behind this game have launched another Kickstarter for a 3D ship designer, and is already well past its goal. If you missed the last one, check this out.
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – There are two development videos on YouTube (and embedded below) talking about the new life support system and the player hub.
- Rogue System – There’s a new development video talks about one of the fighter’s modular cockpit, which looks awesome.
- Rodina – A new version of the game ADDS HEADLIGHTS! OMG YAY! Oh, and also gamepad support, sure, but HEADLIGHTS!
- Star Citizen – The official site has a new Ten for the Chairman Q&A installment with Chris Roberts, a Q&A with Drake Cutlass designer Patrick Thomas (along with work-in-progress pics of the Cutlass), a galactic guide to Drake Interplanetary and the Magnus system, and a new lore builder installment on squad celebrities. On Stick and Rudder, they have five reasons why it’s not a PVP game.
- Drox Operative – There are new reviews of the expansion over on RPG Codex and Christ Centered Gamer, as well as some new patches for the game as well.
- Kickstarters – Thanks to Goomich for pointing out two spacey Kickstarters I missed, New Orbit and Space Pioneer, both of which could use some help. Universe Rush could also use some assistance.
- Galactic Starfighter – IncGamers.com has a link to a recent development video that shows off some gameplay and gives a final release date of February 4th.
- Infinite Pixels – A new milestone version of the game (0.5.0) adds a ton of crap to the game, like a jetpack, asteroids (with mining, yay!) and more! I really need to try this one out.
- Starship Corporation – A new version of the alpha is out that adds a power grid, a basic tutorial and more.
- Deep Space Settlement – Tons of videos from these folks, such as wishing us a happy new year, showing smooth camera transitions along with in-game fog, along with a 3D render of a frigate, synchronized firing, a dual spline cruiser and a utility spline as well. Wow these guys are busy, can’t wait to actually play the thing. ;)
- Approaching Infinity – A new post on Kickstarter talks about the game’s randomized crafting system.
- M.O.R.E. – Space Sector has a new article checking in with the developer a year after their successful Kickstarter.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a new dev article looking at the sexy-as-hell Atrox Cruiser.
- Kerbal Space Program – The Squad guys received honorable mention at the IGF. Yay! Also, amazing YouTuber Das24680 has posted the last in his long line of Kerbal videos.
- Vendetta Online – A new patch adds crossfading music, new kill-on-sight statuses and more.
- Wayward: Terran Frontier – Two updates on the site talk about a new content patch and being on Steam Greenlight, as well as a look ahead.
- Infinite Space 3 – The latest update shows some game editor footage and talks about how their engine is coming along.
- Limit Theory – The latest update shows off new AI, a new UI and shinier graphics. Preeeeeetttyyyyyy…
- EVE Online – The Mittani has an intriguing article entitled The Human Nature of EVE which is pretty compelling.
- Stars of Call – Over on our own forums, Mutos has put out a new version of the game with more border stations and much more! Check it out, it’s free!
- Sublight – Found this new game on Desura, hope to check it out soon and I hope you do too. ;)
- And Here the Wheel – The author of the Elite: Dangerous tie-in novel has a recent update on his blog about how the book is coming along.
Finally, in related news, a new dev video showing off AMD’s Mantle technology has some space battle porn (though it’s a tech demo and not an actual game). Finally, new came through that Mobygames has been purchased by Blue Flame Labs LLC, which is great because it seemed to be languishing under GameFly. I love the site and use it quite often for its extensive knowledgebase of classic gaming, and you should too. ;)
That’s it folks, and thank GAWD because I need a nap. Whew! :) Enjoy all the news and videos below, and have a great day!