Who Am I?
Hi there! My name is Brian Rubin, and I’ve been playing games with spaceships on a computer for roughly thirty years, ever since Lunar Lander back on my Radio Shack TRS-80. Since then, I’ve developed a love and a passion for space games. Simulations, 4X strategy games, real-time strategy games, trading games, you name it. My personal motto has been, “if it has a spaceship, I’ll play it.”
What’s This Site About?
This site was inspired by The CRPG Addict, who is writing his own journey regarding computer role playing games. When I first saw the site, I was inspired to make my own spin on this awesome idea, but with space games instead. Therefore, I decided to create my own website about my passion for space-based gaming. This site will test the motto posted above. This site is also my own love letter to the genre and everyone involved in it, so I’ll not only spend time covering games old and new, but also trying to promote the games being made by passionate people who also love the space gaming genre.
What Will I Find Here?
Besides news on current and upcoming space-based computer games, in keeping with the tradition set up by The CRPG Addict, I plan to play and give coverage to every computer-based space game ever made. So far I’ve compiled a list of hundreds of games, and while I would like to review these in order, I’m going to try to mix coverage of older games with newer games due to the surprising resurgence of the genre. Alongside these articles, you will find interviews, op-eds and a weekly podcast. You’ll also find an amazing community of fans (the best around, in my opinion) who share the love of space and sci-fi gaming.
The Rules of Covering a Game
These rules are somewhat adapted from The CRPG Addict’s own rules, because they work so well. :)
- I will play a game for at least six hours before writing about it, longer if I like it. I do not have to win a game to write about it. Since I’m focusing more and more on videos, I will strive to play a game for as long as I find it fun, engaging and/or entertaining. If I want to keep playing, I will, but if not, I’ll say why not and move on. I’ve been doing this a while, and if a game doesn’t grab me within a few hours, it’s not going to, honestly.
- If a game can be purchased, I will do so. Otherwise, I have no issues with downloading a game from an emulator or abandonware site.
- I will not use cheats, walkthroughs or FAQ’s to proceed in a game, nor will I reload a save game for a better outcome. Save games will be used only as a last resort (i.e. my character(s) died).
- I will only play games released for computers, such as those made by Commodore, Atari, Apple and IBM. Console and mobile games aren’t to be considered because I honestly don’t have the brainspace. ;)
- For a game to be considered, it has to have a major component that focuses on a spaceship of some sort. This includes interaction, command and control. This can also include space stations and other space vehicles.
- Total conversion mods will be considered if they offer a new and unique experience over the game they’re built upon, essentially creating a new game.
- Games will be covered in order of year, followed by alphabetical order. When I created the site, the plan was to review older games in chronological order, but with the newfound activity in the genre, this will likely happen concurrently with coverage of other older games as well.
- If a new space game is released, however, I’ll cover it as quickly as possible in order to give it timely promotion.
- If a game’s author is kind enough to send me a copy of their game, I’ll add it into the current queue of reviews to reward that kindness.
- Reviews will be in the format of either a one-shot article or a multi-article series, which will be determined on a case-by-case basis and will be at my discretion. This has changed a bit. Now that I’m focusing more on video coverage, coverage of a game (reviews, previews, quick looks, etc) will now be single entries (such as Starships Unlimited) or multi-video entries (such as TIE Fighter). This allows me to give coverage to as many games as possible given that I can only work on the site part-time, and will help keep content flowing.
I hope this helps explain how I’ve created my list of games for coverage on the site. I also hope this sufficiently explained the what, who and why of this website. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me, and thanks for visiting!
What Are My PC Specs?
I’ve been getting quite a few folks asking me what my specs are, so as of right now (mid-2015) they’re as follows:
- CPU – AMD – Ryzen 7 2700X
- RAM – 32GB
- GPU – EVGA GeForce 2080 Ti FTW3
- Soundcard – Creative SoundBlaster Zx
- OS – Windows 10 Home
- Monitors – ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27″, Viewsonic VX2703 27″, Acer X193W 14″
- Joystick – Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2
- Throttle – Saitek X-52 Throttle
- Pedals – CH Products Pro Pedals
- Gamepad – Microsoft Wired Xbox One Gamepad
- Mouse – Razer Basilisk
- Keyboard – IBM Model M circa 1993
- Primary Mic – Blue Yeti
- Headset Mic – Plantronics GameCom 780
- MIDI Units – Roland MT-32 and SC-55mk2