What Does It MEAN?!
Hey kids, welcome to episode #13 of the Space Game Junkie! This time, Jim and I get up early in the morning to talk to Malcolm Sparrow, the lead developer of space combat and trading game Dominium (formerly known as Dominion) and it’s current Kickstarter campaign. This podcast is a bit shorter than usual because we did it at 6 AM my time, and I had to rush to work afterwards, just so y’all know. ;) As a treat, you’re all hearing me pre-coffee. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we invite you to comment on the podcast below, invite you to subscribe to us via RSS or iTunes, and thank you for listening. Enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #13: Dominium Q&A with Malcolm Sparrow” »
So! Much! Color!
Haaaaaaaaayyyy guuuuuuuuys, how are ya? Sorry for the delay in this week’s podcast episode, but Jim and I were both busier than usual this week with the real life nonsense. That said, we had no guest this past week, so we just caught up on what we’ve been playing, the news and all sorts of other stuff. It was a fun time, so we hope you enjoy it.
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, please feel free to comment on the podcast below (I’m not creating specific forum threads anymore, no one uses ‘em ;) and follow us using RSS and/or iTunes. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #12: A Potpourri of Pew Pew” »
Cosmic Encounter Online, Dark Space, distant worlds, drox operative, Earth & Beyond, Eclipse, endless space, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, Icarus Ascends, Independence War, Jumpgate, legends of pegasus, limit theory, master of orion, Omega Boost, rodina, Salvation Prophecy, star citizen, Star Command, Star Trek Klingon Academy, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, stardrive, Strike Suit Infinity, Unstoppable Gorg, x3 albion prelude
I Really Need More News Graphics…
Haaaaaaaaaallllloooooo folks, and happy Tuesday! I hope your week is flowing along swimmingly. Now there’s a good chunk of news today to end the month on, much of it from some awesome game devs, so let’s take a look!
- Strike Suit Infinity – This endless score chaser standaloney thingy based on Strike Suit Zero is out now, and you can see the launch trailer at their Kickstarter page (I can’t seem to embed it, sorry). It’s $7 on its own, but if you kicked to ‘em before, you get a discount code. I snagged a copy, and will let’cha know what I think as soon as I get some time with it.
- Limit Theory – Hot on the heels of the recent Prototype video, Josh has released his latest dev update for April which includes new screenshots and news of a new artist!
- Drox Operative – There’s a new beta patch that has just a ton of changes, which you can read about here.
- StarDrive – Space Sector has posted their review of the game. Hopefully more reviews will come in soon.
- Rogue System – There’s a new dev posting about the progress of the game, as well as a video showing off dynamic orbital motion, which I’ll embed below.
- Void of Darkness – On our own forum, the game’s dev has outlined a progress update, and wow, the game is a fair bit along! Yay!
- StarMade – There’s some new pilot girl concept art. Why can’t it just be called a pilot? ;)
- Star Citizen – Thanks to VGN24/7 for letting us know that crowdfunding for the game has passed the $9 million mark! Congrats to Mr. Roberts and his team!
- Star Trek Online – In a recent dev blog entry, they’ve detailed subscriber rewards for the new Romulan expansion.
Finally, in deals, I missed one from GamersGate yesterday, a 1C Space Strategy Pack that includes Star Wolves 3: Civil War and The Tomorrow War for $12.48.
That’s it for now! :)Thanks for reading folks, and have a lovely day!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Deals 4/30/13: Bring on the Devs!” »
drox operative, limit theory, rogue system, star citizen, star trek online, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, stardrive, starmade, Strike Suit Infinity, the tomorrow war, void of darkness
It’s Just Piling Up Today…
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay friends, how are you? Welcome back from the weekend, and happy Monday! I hope y’all are having a great day! I know I am because there’s just so much spacey gameyness going on! ;) Let’s dive in, shall we?
- Limit Theory – A new Limit Theory Prototype has been released, and while only those who pledged at the $75 level and above during the Kickstarter can PLAY it, there’s a video tutorial of it we can watch at least while we wait for beta access. It’ll also be embedded below. I wanna play this noooooooow. *weeps*
- Star Citizen – The Aurora fighter has been fully detailed in a lovely new brochure, and there’s a sale on the craft as well, this week only. It’s selling well enough for there to be a thank you post with more info, art and so on. I’m very tempted to get one…
- EVE Online – The Mittani has just a deluge of reports from FanFest, including the keynote, CCP Presents, art developments, CSM8 winners, as well as other articles covering the great fuel crunch and Heydieles and Old Man Star changing hands. On the dev blog, there are articles covering resource rebalancing in Odyssey as well as a resource rebalancing as well. Then, according to multiple sources, there will be an EVE Online TV and comic book series using player-submitted stories. Wow. Finally, some CCP programmers made a first-person dogfighting game called EVR that looks pretty damned cool.
- Infinite Space 3 – The good folks at Digital Eel made their Kickstarter goal! Congrats to them!!!
- StarDrive – Hold the Line has an interview with Dan DiCicco about the game.
- Void of Darkness – Seems the main dev is running into some coding problems. ;)
- Ring Runner – There’s a lovely preview of the game over on Greenlit Gaming. This reminds me that I need to add this to my preview queue…
- StarLife – There’s a preview article covering colinies, events and regions for y’all to dig into.
- Dominion – After testing a new pitch, these folks are gonna launch a new Kickstarter campaign on May 4th. Best of luck to ‘em!S
- StarMade – There’s a new post detailing startup sync and missile changes.
- Drox Operative – The folks at Indie Game Magazine has a Let’s Try video of the game, which I’ll embed below.
- Epic Space Game – A new update brings smoother mouse zooming, changes to jump drives and a lot more.
- OreSome – In a recent IndieDB post, apparently multiplayer is being experimented with. You can now also buy the game on GamersGate.
- And Here the Wheel – The author of this novel based on Elite: Dangerous has a progress update for us all to read.
Whew, that’s a mouthful right there, but we also have deals! These include:
Then, in somewhat related news, some of the developers from the original Homeworld have launched their new RTS, Hardware: Shipbreakers, which sadly doesn’t appear to take place in space. Boo. Finally, SpaceSector has posted its latest list of the Kickstarters that made it and didn’t, which is a fun read.
That’s it for now folks. Have an awesome day!!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 4/29/13: Back to Work!” »
And Here the Wheel, drox operative, elite: dangerous, epic space game, eve online, galactic civilizations, gemini wars, Homeworld, Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars, limit theory, oresome, ring runner, star citizen, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, stardrive, starlife, starmade, the tomorrow war, void of darkness
You Magnificent Son of A Bitch…
Welcome to episode #09 of the Space Game junkie Podcast! In this episode, Jim and I bring on Gamers With Jobs CEO Shawn “Certis” Andrich to discuss if space games are just “chasing a dot”, as he called them previous. In a surprise — to me at least, and pleasantly so — the discussion evolves and turns into an intervention where we discuss how space action games have become kinda samey in terms of lack of space, lack of place and so on to help Shawn find some new games. It was a fun, spirited discussion. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
We talked about a looooooot of games, and you can find links to all of them below in the show notes. We hope you enjoy the show, and invite you to comment here or on the forum, as well as use our RSS or iTunes feeds to subscribe to us. Thanks for listening, and have a great day! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #09: Chasing Dots and Games” »
dangerous, darkstar one, diaspora, drox operative, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, freelancer, freespace 2, freespace open, Frontier: Elite II, FTL, galaxy on fire, Homeworld, independence war 2, limit theory, Rules of Engagement, skyjacker, Space Rangers 2, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, Star Wars: X-Wing, star wars: x-wing alliance, Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Starshatter, strike suit zero, wing commander, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn, x series
So Many Pieces of News…
Haaaaaaaayyyyy folks, happy Whenever-I-Finally-Post-This! ;) I hope these last weeks have found you all well, and less busy/tired than I’ve been. ;) I’ve just not had time to do the news (or much else) in the past several weeks. That’s a-changing though, for a couple of reasons. First, work is slowing down, so I’ll have more physical and mental energy to put toward the blog. Secondly, I found I was more productive on the blog before my awesome girlfriend moved in, so I’ve come up with the hopeful solution of setting aside certain nights of the week, and weekends when I have time, to dedicate time and energy solely to this blog. This should help me find a better balance and begin to put out content more regularly again. :)
As for news, let’s just dive in, as there’s a TON to go over (so much so I’m putting it under a cut):
Enjoy the Onslaught…
0x10c, ai war, And Here the Wheel, beyond beyaan, Distant Worlds: Shadows, dominion, drox operative, endless space, enemy starfighter, epic space game, eve online, FTL, Galactic Domination, Galaxy on Fire II HD, imperium galactica, Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, OpenIG, oresome, predestination, rodina, rogue system, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, stardrive, Starflight II, starlife, starmade, starsector, starstrategy, strike suit zero, Sword of the Stars II, Tradewars, Tradewars Rising, Vendetta Online, void of darkness, x rebirth
SO MUCH NEWSINESS!
Helllloooo everyone! SOOO SORRY I’ve been lax on posting the news, but I’ve been just SO busy and SO tired I’ve barely had a break for anything else. In fact, that TIE Fighter video below was pretty much all I’ve had energy for recently until now, thankfully. I’m finally feeling more awake and human, and need to get both you folks AND myself informed as to the latest spacey gamey stuff going on, so let’s dive in, it’s pretty deep.
- Escaping Titan – The Kickstarter for the Escaping Titan rulebook collection has launched, and has a very modest funding fee which will, I believe, help fund the game itself. I know I’m kicking to it, are you? ;) These guys will also be on the next episode of the podcast, so stay tuned!
- Weird Worlds – This awesome, AWESOME game is now on Steam! YAY! Go get it! :)
- Horizon – Got word today that Iceberg Interactive will be publishing this game! Congrats to them!
- Star Citizen – Lots of updates here. First, Gamasutra has an interview with Chris Roberts on his crowdfunding successes. Gameinformer also has an intterview with the main man. Then, the official site has some Terra concept art, a new issue of “The Lost Generation“, a fan spotlight on ship designs, and a video with lead artist Mark Skelton, which will be below.
- I.O.U: Isle of Universe – Thanks to Demorve on Quarter to Three for pointing this out to me. Over on Steam Greenlight, there’s an interesting looking game called I.O.U: Isle of Universe which I’d never heard of before, but looks nifty as heck, so I’ma keep an eye out on it. :) You can see a video of the game in action after the cut.
- Starflight II – The CRPG Addict has posted several entries covering his look at the game, which are all fantastic reads as usual. :) If you’ve not played this, they’re VERY spoilery, FYI, so proceed with caution.
- EVE Online – Holy crap, lots of articles on this one. The official site has stories on The Angel Project and a dev blog on the war on bots. The Mittani has a look at the The Burning Life novel, two articles on the use of carriers, and various articles covering the TEST Alliance, EVE University’s head resigning, incoming planetary ownership in Dust, Li3 Alliance having its wallet stolen, a look at the revised Black Ops system, and a look at the old Naglfar cap ship. Whew!
- Star Conflict – The Mittani also has an article on getting started in the game. There’s also a small Q&A on the official site.
- FTL – Polygon has a lovely little story about the background of the game and its success.
- Kerbal Space Program – Version 0.19 has been released which includes Linux support, atmospheric effects, new parts and a lot more. I need to make another video of this ASAP.
- AI War – There’s a new update entitled “Core Foamhammer” which adds new versions of eighteen ships.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new update on wormholes and starlanes for y’all to read.
- Distant Worlds – Rob over on One Guy, Too Many Games has reviewed the game and found it didn’t click with him, sadly.
- Star Lords – According to a Tweet from the game’s developer, you can now get Alpha 3.0 at the official site.
- Limit Theory – There’s a new progress update over on the the game’s forum which, as always, is a great read.
- StarDrive – To help make up for my own lack of a preview (SORRY, been so busy), I present to you this comical Let’s Play forum series.
- Angular Velocity – There’s are a couple of progress updates as well as a new video, which will be under the cut below.
- StarStrategy – The lead developer is looking for help with some graphics for the game. There’s also a new screenshot, new video, and some progress updates.
- Void of Darkness – There’s a new call for alpha testers, and a new video to gawk at as well!
- Miner Wars 2081 – There’s a new update for the game which apparently includes the source code!
- Elite: Dangerous – Thanks to Wild Bill for sending these in! :) There’s a new progress update video up on Kickstarter.
- Infinity – Wow, twice in as many weeks with a new update, this time talking about the possibility of a Kickstarter and other fun stuff.
- Predestination – There’s a new race reveal! Meet the Sauros! Aren’t they ADORABLE? ;)
- Galactic Reign – This is a new game that looks like a fun space conquest game, but is only available on Windows 8 and Windows Phone, so I likely won’t be playing it. Sighs. Thanks VGN247!
- Drox Operative – JUST UNDER THE WIRE. Just as I was about to post this story, I saw there’s a new patch for the game which adds…new colors on some ships…oh, and a bug.
Next up, SolCommand has some lovely models for your game creation usage, this time of a Giza Pyramid ship, a Dyn shield emitter, a Kurat Command Ship and some futuristic towers. Finally (OMG I KNOW), the Concept Ships blog has lovely art from rd7, Colin Foran and Jon McCoy.
WHEW! I need a nap! Have a good one folks, and I’ll try to make these more regular in the coming week, but don’t be surprised if I miss a day or two, as I’m just swamped. :/ Thanks for visiting and reading, as always, and have a great day!
Continue reading “Space Game News and Deals 3/13-19/13: Serious Ketchup Needed” »
ai war fleet command, angular velocity, beyond beyaan, distant worlds, drox operative, elite: dangerous, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, Galactic Reign, horizon, I.O.U: Isle of Universe, infinity, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, miner wars 2081, predestination, star citizen, Star Conflict, star lords, stardrive, Starflight II: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula, starstrategy, void of darkness, weird worlds return to infinite space
The Man Himself
Oh. My. God. I’m still so flabbergasted and amazed we got to talk to this industry legend that I can mostly talk in one-two word sentences. Oh. My. God. ;) Seriously, Jim and I were lucky enough to sit down to talk to the man himself about his games and his movies, and it was completely fascinating. Mr. Roberts was very generous with his time and his candor, and we can’t thank him enough for spending some of his valuable time with us.
Podcast: Play in new window
Oh, and OMG, he said he liked my site. SQUEEEEEEE! Seriously, I’m still on a cloud folks, no lie. :) We hope you enjoy the podcast, and invite your comments and questions below in the comments or on the forum. Thanks for listening, and please feel free as always to follow our RSS feed or iTunes feed. :) Have a great day!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #04: Chris. Freaking. Roberts.” »
Two Things I Need a LOT of Right Now…
Hey folks, happy Monday! I hope y’all had a superb weekend! There’s a TON of stuff to get through today, so we’re not gonna dilly dally, rather we’ll just get right through it:
- Endless Space – Lots of news for this one today! First, the Virtual Awakening add-on has been released, followed by the news they’ve sold 300,000 units! Wow! Then, the folks at iGameRadio have an audio review of the Mac version of the game, and finally it’s on sale on Steam as one of their week long sales.
- StarDrive – Plenty for this one too. We have previews from Space Sector and Out of Eight, as well as well as the first part of a Let’s Play video series from legendary Let’s Play creator Das24680. All videos will be embedded below, including these. Stay tuned for my preview also, which I hope to have by the end of this week or early next. ;)
- Void of Darkness – First, on our forum, the lead developer is looking for some help alpha testing the game. Then, on the game’s official site, there are some various updates concerning the game’s progress.
- Limit Theory – Josh has posted his latest update summary on the game’s forums.
- Angular Velocity – Sadly these guys lost their update server, but according to this update it’s all being sorted out.
- StarLife – We now get to find out more about the ominous Empire in the game. I wouldn’t wanna run into one in a dark alley…
- EVE Online – The official site has a new cover story that’s lengthy but looks neat based on my skimming. The Mittani have their usual slew of awesome articles, this time covering EFT tanking and the destruction of the NCDOT carrier fleet at their own hand. Wow.
- Star Citizen – Polygon has an interview with Chris Roberts about the Occulus Rift and other fun stuff. The official site has a general update with news on a new avatar, new forum and other coolness.
- Imperium Galactica Stargazer – There’s a new forum on their site with a small Q&A for y’all to read which hopefully answers some common questions about the new game.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new post on their Kickstarter discussing a new Sage’s Challenge, pendants and more!
- Retrobooster – There’s a new blog update with a video showing off a refinement of conveyor beams, among other nifty things. The demo to this was fun, by the way. ;)
- OreSome – There’s a new blog post on IndieDB discussing the possibilities surrounding multiplayer.
- Vendetta Online – There’s a new update which basically includes a ton of little fixes.
Now, onto deals! There are a few besides the Endless Space one above. Here goes!
Finally, in related news, a gentleman named Joseph Ybarra — who was one of the co-founders of EA and helped produce Starflight, Alien Legacy and other spacey games — has a new planet colonization game on Kickstarter called Shackleton Crater that y’all should take a gander at.
That’s it folks! Have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 3/9-11/13: A Mish Mash of Stuff” »
alien legacy, angular velocity, endless space, eve online, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gratuitous space battles, imperium galactica stargazer, limit theory, oresome, retrobooster, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, star citizen, stardrive, starflight, starlife, Vendetta Online, void of darkness
Insert Serious Newsy Music Here
Hey y’all, happy Friday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, but this week has been CRAAAAAAAAAZY. I’ve barely even had time to PLAY anything, let alone anything else. Ah well, it happens, but the weekend is here, which won’t leave much time for gaming for ME (goin’ out of down for a day or two), but I hope it does for you folks. ;) There’s a buncha newsy stuff since I missed yesterday, so let’s dive into it!
- EVE Online – From the official site, they report that the game has been featured in Applied Design at the Modern Museum of Art, and a dev blog about shaping the game’s future. Eurogamer reports that the game now has over 500,000 subscribers. Wow. Finally, The Mittani has excellent articles on nerfling HiSec trying to make it too safe, Caldari’s recent vulnerabilities and a falling out in [LOST], one of the game’s largest corps. Whew!
- Rogue System – There’s a new video showing off more of a fighter’s startup sequence. There’s also a video of their segment on Alive and Kicking about their Kickstarter. Great stuff, and as always, embedded after the cut. Speaking of, their Kickstarter could totally use more love, so if you haven’t yet, please go check it out.
- Freespace 2 – The latest version of Freespace Open has been released! This apparently fixes a damage scaling bug in the previous version. Get it now!
- Star Citizen – First off, there’s a lovely new screenshot of a Drake Cutlass over on Facebook, Then, on the official site, there’s a new episode of “The Lost Generation” for y’all to read, as well as a new fan spotlight on some great fan sites.
- Limit Theory – There’s a new dev update video for February that shows off sounds and weapons and missiles, oh my! Can I have this game yet? Please?
- Endless Space – There’s a new dev blog entry showing off screnshots of a new Endless hero, who looks a lot like they’re from TRON, honestly. ;) There’s also a video showing off the early stages from the game from OfficialStuffPlus. Finally, my buddy RobC04 has a review of the game on his blog, in which he calls me “Darth Rubin” for saying the game has no soul. What a saucy bastard. Or something. ;) I command you all to head over there and harass him promptly! ;)
- Void of Darkness – There’s a new blog entry on the progress of their combat prototyping. There’s also an update trying to answer gamers’ questions about the game.
- Deep Space Settlement – So I saved this screenshot of a shipyard from a Twitter feed, and I’m PRETTY SURE it’s for this game, but not 100%. There needs to be a better way to do this…
- StarLife – There are new screenshots of the game’s race selection screen. Looks like it’s all coming together nicely. :)
- Star Trek Online – There’s a new dev article covering the B’rel retrofit. Totally love that Bird of Prey. Then there’s another blog looking at some new mission entries in the foundry.
- Kerbal Space Program – You can now use a Paysafecard to buy the full version of the game, which you totally should, by George…
- Galactose – There’s a new video showing off some updated graphics, which just look lovely. I also have a preview in the pipe for this one, so stay tuned. And yes, the game really is that crazy. ;)
- X3 – There’s a new update to Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict on Steam which fixes Japanese translation and localization.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new update that adds a new PVP mode called Detonation which sounds fun.
- Dominion – There’s a new post on rendering stars in the game.
- OreSome – There’s a new update on IndieDB which includes a video plus some recent patch notes.
Moving onto deals, we have one today. Armada 2526 Gold Edition has made its way on Steam, and is on sale at 15% off for $16.99. Wait wait, there’s one more deal, it’s Sword of the Stars 2: Enhanced Edition for $4.99 on Gamestop.
Next, in kinda related news, there are some lovely new models over on SolCommand, and gorgeous art of a docked ship by Jamie Jones on the Concept Ships blog.
Finally, this isn’t related at all, but the developer of the scary looking FPS Ghostship asked for help in promoting his game, and considering this cool looking game was made by one guy, how could I say no, so there ya go. :)
That’s it folks! I hope you have an excellent day and a wonderful weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 2/28-3/1/13: WEEEEEKEND YEAHHHHHHHH *guitar riff*” »
Armada 2526 Gold Edition, Deep Space Settlement, dominion, endless space, eve online, freespace 2, Galactose, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, oresome, rogue system, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, starlife, sword of the stars ii: enhanced edition, void of darkness, x3 albion prelude, X3: Terran Conflic