It’s the News You Know and Love…
Hellloooo my friends, and happy Monday! It’s time for another news digest, as I’ve gotten to that point where I have enough news to make one, and am gonna make the dang time needed to write one. :) There’s plenty to go over, so let’s dive in, shall we? (Remember, all vids are embedded after the cut)
- Endless Space – According to this Tweet from the Amplitude folks, the free add-on for Disharmony, entitled The Search for Auriga, will be released on November 14th! Insert obligatory “will this add the fun?” joke here. ;) (Sorry, couldn’t resist…)
- Wing Commander – The CIC has a couple of things of note, first a look back at the series by Den of Geek, then a look at the treasures in Chris Roberts’ office. Waaaaaaaant. They also have some shots of a new 3D rendered model of the Bearcat as well as some ships from Privateer 2.
- Star Citizen – Speaking of Chris Roberts, he’s chimed in to announce the game’s recent goal of $26 million in funding, which will now allow players to choose another starting ship. On the other side of the coin, the folks at Stick and Rudder wonder what might happen if the game fails. Back on the official site, there’s a new lore builder talking about racing, more details on the updated Hornet, a wacky new episode of The Wingman’s Hangar and finally, the full announcement for The Next Great Starship contest. Wheeew, that was a mouthful, huh?
- Eterium – There are some new details for the Sagaris medium fighter available.
- Galaxial – We finally have a new dev update, this time looking at some improved ship graphics. When can we play this again? ;)
- Vendetta Online – The most recent patch includes a new variant to the Vulture, custom names for cap ships and more.
- SkyJacker – There are a couple of new updates showing off details and free flight videos (which will be below as well) of the YTG Bomber and YTG Herald for your viewing enjoyment.
- EVE Online – The official site has a community spotlight on Agony Unleashed, a corp offering PVP classes, which is pretty cool of them.
- The Mandate – There’s a new video over at Viddler showing off a panel about the game at the recent MCM Comic Con late last month.
- Predestination – Hot on the heels of the recent combat beta, the planetary beta has now been released into the grubby paws of testers, myself included. Really need to try this…
- Freespace Open – The latest edition of the HLP Newsletter is here, with news of new campaigns, some features for the next release of FSO and more!
- Astrobase Command – There’s a new pictoral training montage on the game’s blog. I’m liking the look of this thing.
- Limit Theory – The latest development video has been posted which looks as sexy as ever.
- Sea of Stars – The folks behind this game have also posted their latest dev video, which looks fantastic.
- Star Wars Squadrons – Apparently this is a successor to TIE Fighter that I only just recently heard of, and it apparently works with the Oculus Rift. Wowie!
In somewhat relevant news, the Escapist has an odd list of the eight best giant video game spaceships. Then, reader Stephen Cameron sent in a video of his own procedural starship creator, similar to the one I posted the other day, which looks damned cool and runs in C I believe.
Finally, in deals, GamersGate is having a Stardock midweek sale with all the usual suspects present.
That’s it for today folks, have a great one!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 11/4/13: Lots of Meat on the Bone Today…” »
Astrobase Command, endless space, endless space disharmony, endless space: the search for auriga, Eterium, eve online, freespace open, galaxial, limit theory, predestination, Privateer 2: The Darkening, Sea of Stars, skyjacker, star citizen, Star Wars Squadrons, star wars: tie fighter, The Mandate, Vendetta Online, wing commander
Hey kids, I know I’m waaaaay behind on news (I’ve got about 180 items saved so far I’ll be parsing through soon I hope), but these just dropped so I wanted to share ‘em with you.
The vids are behind the cut. Enjoy!
Continue reading “Sea of Stars and Limit Theory Updates” »
Help Me Puppy! I’m Burred in News!
Holy crap, newsiness! It’s been a while since I posted some of this stuff, but DAAAAAYUM has life been crazy. Work has been INSANE, home life has been busy and I had a weird slightly-depressive funk I had to work my way through (nothing bad, just turning 40 stuff mostly), but things are balancing out again, which means it’s time for NEWS, and hooooooly crap is there a ton (over 180 items). Several weeks worth of stuff from all over the map (so much so that this post will likely be written over a mult-day period). This post will be so damned big I’ll have to put it behind a cut just to help make the front page look sane, so here goes…
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Deals 8/10/13-9/3/13: A News Post So Big I Hope It Doesn’t Break the Site…” »
0x10c, Aeon Command, ai war, Artemis, Astrobase Command, beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, Deuteros, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, elite, elite: dangerous, endless space, enemy starfighter, epic space game, Eterium, eve online, eve: valkyrie, freespace 2, freespace open, galactic civilizations ii, Galactose, Galaxia Conquestum, Galaxy Union, GoD Factory: Wingmen, horizon, Infinite Pixels, Infinite Space 3, Kaiser Earth, Kerbal Space Program, Last Jungle in Sector 17, limit theory, Lunar Flight, m.o.r.e., Master of Orion II, Obliterate Everything 2 Gold, Open Imperium Galctica, PULSAR: Lost Colony, quintet, retrobooster, rodina, solar war, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, star villains and space heroes, starpoint gemini ii, starsector, StellarBrink, strike suit zero, sword of the stars, System Lords, Vendetta Online, void of darkness, wayward terran frontier, wing commander, x rebirth, x3 albion prelude, x3 terran conflict
Watch Out for Inky Fingers!
Hellloooo my wonderful friends, and happy Friday! I hope y’all had a great week and are looking forward to an excellent weekend. Since I had to miss the news yesterday, there’s an extra amount of goodness to go over, so let’s get to it!
- Star Ruler 2 – Imagine my surprise when I go to one of my regular forums, and I see a thread about this very game out of nowhere. I’ll admit I didn’t spend a ton of time with the original game, but these guys worked very hard on post-release support for it, so I’m very happy to see that a sequel will be coming our way. You can learn more about the game on the official site, and read their first dev diary on the galactic economy. We’ll also have folks from Blind Mind on the podcast next week to discuss the game more (as much as they can, at least). ;) Yay!
- Drox Operative – There’s a new beta patch for y’all to try, and allows stations to be built near wormholes, better quest rewards based on distance from the originator and so on. Great stuff.
- Kerbal Space Program – One of my favorites sites on the Internet, Gamers with Jobs, has a lovely little story about trying to land on the Mun. Glad to see ‘em having some space game love. :)
- Strike Suit Zero – If you’re lucky enough to have an Occulus Rift, you can now play this game using the device if you have the latest beta. This video gives more deets, and it’ll also be embedded below.
- Star Citizen – Through continued crowdfunding efforts, they’ve now raised $15 million for the game, so congrats to the Cloud Imperium team! Also on the official site, you can see some fan ship designs, read the latest installment of A Separate Law, learn more about starship manufacturer Origin Jumpworks and watch an interview with art producer Harry Jarvis, which I’ll also embed below.
- EVE Online – First off, the official site has a guest blog entry on CSM voting. Then, The Mittani has numerous articles covering topics such as command ship changes, the military director of TEST’s resignation and the fight in Fountain over moons.
- Limit Theory – The latest development video is up, and I know I can’t wait to watch it. It’ll also be embedded below.
- Freespace Open – The latest HLP Newsletter has been released, and it has word of new campaigns and lots of new screenshots of renders in progress. Love it.
- Beyond Beyaan – Some new UI images of new game and race selection have been released. I love how this is coming along.
- Star Trek Online – A new Legacy of Romulus development blog entry talks about Romulan temporal ships. They look sexy as hell. I want one.
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – You can now see some images of new menus in progress. Nice stuff!
- Wings of Saint Nazaire – Thanks to multiple people for reminding of this one, but Rock, Paper Shotgun has a little article covering this recent entry in the space game development scene (at least recent to me). ;)
- Skyjacker – The awesome looking Starship Constructer is supposed to be released today, according to their Kickstarter. Hopefully I’ll get my copy soon so I can tinker.
- Kickstarters – I found some new spacey Kickstarters for y’all to check out: Spacecraft: Galaxies, Yargis and Beyond Black Space. If I had to back one of them myself, it’d be Beyond Black Space, but I’m on the fence myself.
Finally, we have some deals today. GOG is having one of their big weekend sales, and you can get Strike Suit Zero for $7.99, which is a damned fine price. Also, if you’re in England, you can get Ring Runner for €8.49 from FireFlower Games.
That’s it folks, have an awesome weekend!!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 8/1-2/13: The Wrapping-Up-Before-The-Weekend Edition” »
beyond beyaan, Beyond Black Space, drox operative, eve online, freespace open, GoD Factory: Wingmen, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, Ring Runner, skyjacker, Spacecraft: Galaxies, star citizen, Star Ruler 2, star trek online, strike suit zero, Wings of Saint Nazaire, Yargis
A Lot of News for a Monday!
Heellllooooo folks, and happy Monday! Happy Canada Day also to our friends up north as well. :) I hope y’all had an awesome weekend filled with awesome gaming. Mine was busy as heck, but I did get a littl Ring Runner in, thankfully. Hopefully I’ll have some time for more gaming this week. What about you guys, what are y’all playing? :) Oh, right, we’re here for news. Here ya go!
- Eterium – The devs for this have launched a Kickstarter to help them finish up this fun (if the demo is any indication) Wing Commander-esque game. Check it out.
- Star Citizen – Rock, Paper Shotgun has a look at the Constellation, while Polygon has a look at the 300i, and both vids will be embedded below. There’s also a thanks from Chris Roberts regarding the livestream event, info on the Oberon system, and episodes three and four of “A Human Perspective”.
- Limit Theory – The latest development update has been released, and it looks awesome, with shinier graphics and a Linux port. Check it out through the link or below in the video.
- Void Destroyer – The Kickstarter is almost over (and successful, yay!) and Paul has put up two large mega-updates covering the future plans for the game and a recap of the Kickstarter.
- 90Edges Universe – To coincide with the release of alpha 0.0.6, there’s some new space station artwork over on Twitter.
- ScrumbleShip – There’s a new video showing off some multiplayer building, which will also be embedded below.
- Infinite Pixels – There’s a new alpha version out for this game as well, 0.1.2, which adds a manual, seeds and trees, and a barn. Wait, this is a space game? ;)
- Vendetta Online – This game has also received an update which brings fixes to delivery missions, Ouya fixes and so on.
- Freespace Open – The Hard-Light Productions July newsletter has been released, and covers a good deal of modding and coding news this time around.
- SkyJacker – The starship constructer beta has been released to backers. I’ve not had a chance to try it, but I hope to soon. :)
- Star Trek Online – Their dev blog has a pretty detailed look at the work that goes to episode development. Definitely worth a look see.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new blog post looking at planet UI and naming, which looks nicely MOOish. ;)
- Endless Space – Their dev blog has an “After Disharmony” post talking about talking about their thoughts on the expansion now that it’s out.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has an opinion piece on the Fountain campaigns.
- Horizon – I had never even heard of this spacey 4X game until my buddy Jan noticed it on Steam Early Access and pointing it out to me. Looks nifty!
- Final Frontier – This is apparently a mod for Garry’s Mod that models “controlling and maintaining a starship”, according to Rock, Paper Shotgun. Guess that means I have to get Garry’s Mod, huh? ;)
Whoa, that’s a lot of news for a weekend, but we’re not done yet! Next, in deals, we have Amazon’s Summer Sale, which has way too many deals to mention, and the X3 series is 50% off on Steam to celebrate the Linux release of the game(s). You can also get the whole X3 Goldbox for $12.49, which is a pretty dang good deal.
Finally, in kinda-related news, the devs of the Colonisation: Moonbase (it’s British, hence the weird spelling ;) wrote in and asked me to pimp their campaign a bit, so there ya go. :)
That’s it folks! Have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 7/1/13: Manic Monday Edition, ‘Eh!” »
90Edges Universe, beyond beyaan, endless space, Eterium, eve online, Final Frontier, freespace open, horizon, Infinite Pixels, limit theory, ScrumbleShip, skyjacker, star citizen, star trek online, Vendetta Online, Void Destroyer, wing commander, X3 Goldbox
Haaaaaaaaaaay guys, welcome to the latest edition of the Space Game Junkie podcast. This week Jim and I sit down to talk to some of the folks behind the sweet space shooter Galactose. Specifically programmers John O’Meara and David Wikman, music composer Matthew Pablo and artist Mignon Kramp. It sets the record for most guests on one of our podcasts! ;) The discussion talks about the game, but as always veers all over the place (which, honestly, should kinda be expected by now). ;) We hope y’all enjoy it. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we welcome your comments below, and invite you to subscribe to us on iTunes or through RSS. Thanks for listening! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #18: Eating Up Galactose (and Other Sweet Stuff)” »
Welcome to the latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I sit down to talk to Paul Zakrzewski, lead developer for the currently-Kickstarted game Void Destroyer. Paul talks about the history of the game, his aspirations for it, working with the community to fix bugs and much more. It’s a lively discussion about a pretty fun game, even in this early stage of its lifespan, and we hope you enjoy it. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we welcome your comments below, and invite you to subscribe to us via RSS or iTunes. Thanks for listening! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #17: Void Destroyer – The Dark Souls of Space Games?” »
Bringin’ It Newsy Style.
Heyyyyy guys! Me again (who else would it be, really?)! Been a CRAZY week, which is why I’m just getting to the news just now, and holy crap there’s a ton of it. I actually had to take a break in the middle of writing this just to eat a little something, because it was THAT INTENSE you guys! ;) Enjoy!
- Drox Operative – The expansion has finall been named! It’s titled Invasion of the Ancients and it has a ton of stuff, like ancient race invasions, space stations, a new race and more! YAY!
- AI War – The next expansion, Vengeance of the Machine, will be available for pre-order soon! Yay! I keep saying this, but I need to dive into this game. There’s also a new patch entitled “Activating Vengeful Sanding Machine” which adds a boatload of stuff to the game.
- Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion – While not a whole expansion, the first DLC pack for the game, Forbidden Worlds, is now available for $4.99, and adds new planets, new research and more!
- Starlight Inception – The official trailer has finally be released, and it looks great! Check it out from the link or embedded below.
- Limit Theory – The latest video dev entry has been released, and it’s well worth a watch.
- Distant Worlds: Shadows – Matrix Games’ Erik Rutins put together an intro guide to playing a new game in the Age of Shadows for new players. There are also new videos by Das24680 showing explored locations, creating a destroyer fleet, destroyers vs. a cap ship and…loros fruit?
- Void Destroyer – The Kickstarter campaign is in full swing, and Paul has put out no-less than fifteen updates since it launched. Rather than list ‘em all individually, I’ll just link to the updates page if y’all don’t mind. ;)
- EVE Online – A lot of news here, the biggest being the release of Odyssey, their 19th (!) expansion pack. Keep chuggin’, CCP. There are also dev blogs talking about EVE VR and new audio transition sounds, as well as announcements on Caldari ships and military career arcs being reset. Over on The Mittani, they have so much EVE news I don’t even have time to list it all, but go check it out please. ;) Finally, Massively reports that 96% of EVE’s players are male, something CCP is juuuust fine with.
- 90Edges Universe – We now have the first pic from inside a space station. Nifty!
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – There’s a new video showing off some gameplay with the Oculus Rift.
- Beyond Beyaan – Apparently Brent has reverted to a pre-SVN version of the game, whatever that means. ;)
- Star Citizen – There’s a new “Observist Guide” to New York, a galactic guide to Earth, a new video containing an interview with 3D artist Jeff Cavitt (embedded below as well) and part nine of the writer’s guide.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new version of the game that adds metals and other stuff.
- StarMade – There’s a new dev build with a major focus on gravity. There’s also a new video explaining how beam weapons work (in Russian, FYI), as well as better AI, new textures and better admin tools.
- Infinite Pixels – The pre-alpha version is out for anyone who backed their IndieGoGo campaign. There’s also a new trailer for the alpha (embedded below).
- Void of Darkness -There’s a new teaser video of the game over on their IndieDB page (and embedded below).
- Eterium – Thanks to everyone who sent me info about this game. It looks very Wing Commanderesque, and the demo is a good time, so check it out.
- Kerbal Space Program – There’s a new minor update out (0.21) that adds crew management, overhauled space center scenery and more!
- Strike Suit Zero – Hey, they have a blog now, and their first post is about the game using the Oculus Rift! Yay!
- Predestination – Their May dev update is out, focusing on UI design and galaxy map features.
- Dominium – Sadly their Kickstarter failed, but they’ve still put out many updates on where the game is going.
- Freespace Open – The latest edition of the HLP Newsletter is out. This talks about the latest news in campaigns, coding and more.
- Vendetta Online – There’s a new version with lots of little bug fixes.
- Rubicon – This game has now gone open source. Check it out!
- Retrobooster – There’s a new video of the game from VG24/7 which I’ll embed below.
- StarDrive – There’s a new review on GameGrin.
- Aegis Division – I found this new game over on Kickstarter, so go check it out
We’re not done yet folks. Ooooooohh no. We have deals! First off, Amazon has launched a new indie game storefront (yay for them!), and to celebrate, they have a TON of deals going on, way too many for me to mention here, but thanks to the good folks on Reddit, you can see a list of the individual games and bundles that are currently on sale, which include a good deal of spaciness. Finally, you can get Dawnstar over on IndieGameStand for as low as $1, but more if you want extras.
Finally, in related news, the latest Science Behind the SciFi newsletter has been released.
That’s it! Whew! I gotta get back to doing this daily. Thanks for your patience folks, and have a lovely day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Dealsies 6/1-6/13: The Lawdy-Lawd-I’m-Tired Edition” »
90Edges Universe, Aegis Division, ai war, beyond beyaan, dawnstar, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, Eterium, eve online, freespace open, GoD Factory: Wingmen, Infinite Pixels, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, predestination, retrobooster, rubicon, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, star citizen, Star Conflict, starlight inception, starmade, strike suit zero, Vendetta Online, Void Destroyer, void of darkness, wing commander
Our Main Topic This Week…
Howdy folks, and welcome to this episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! In this episode, Jim and I sit down with one of the creators of Ring Runner – Flight of the Sages, Enrique Dryere, to talk about the long road between the conception and the upcoming release of this awesome upcoming top-down Newtonian space combat RPG thing. :) As with all of our podcasts, the conversation veers off in several different directions, but that’s one of the constants of our chats, isn’t it? ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we look forward to your comments below, and invite you to follow us through RSS or Itunes. :) Thanks for listening, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #15: Raving about Ring Runner (and Random Randomness)” »
Drowning Under the Tide of News…
Hellloooooo everyone, and happy Friday! This was a really nutty week for me, hence the lack of news until today! I’ve got a WEEK’S worth of stuff to get through, so let’s DO THIS! ;)
(Sorry if the news pieces appear a bit disjointed, I had to go through between seventy to eighty news pieces out of order ;)
- Distant Worlds: Shadows – The game came out yesterday, and there’s already a new patch to fix some crashing problems that users have found since release. Das24680 also has five new videos of the game showing off more gameplay. Youtube user Pewpewchewchew also has a Let’s Play video of his own. These will all be embedded below.
- SkyJacker – There’s some new photos over on their facebook showing off the disassembly of a Shaarkarians mothership. They also have dissasembly videos of a Shaarkarians mothership, a Rak-Tak-Bashogee battleship and a Rak-Tak-Bashogee cruiser.
- Star Citizen – We have some new wallpapers showing off the planet Tyrol, part 8 of the writer’s guide, a Congress Now news update, a sneak peak at the hanger module and an interview with network and server programmer Tom Sawyer (embedded below as well). They also just announced an upcoming livingstreaming event in late June. Finally, Forbes did a video interview with Chris Roberts, which is also embedded below.
- Retrobooster – The developer recorded a video demo for the folks at IGN, which I can’t embed. The demo is a ton of fun, by the by. ;)
- Kerbal Space Program – Version 0.20 of the game has been released and adds things like chairs and other parts! Yay chairs! ;) There’s also a new merchandise store! I want a mug.
- Elite: Dangerous – There’s a new fiction diary entry over on their Kickstarter, and the video will be embedded below. Thanks to Wild Bill for the tip!
- Drox Operative – In the midst of making an expansion, Steven has released a beta patch for the game. This new patch has a ton of little fixes.
- Star Trek Online – The new Legacy of Romulus expansion went live yesterday! Yay! There’s also a dev blog on Dilithium 101.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has word of a super-cap and dreadnaught battle in Venal and a brawl in Delve, both of which sound expensive. There’s also a video and interview regarding Campigenus, a twenty-four minute fan movie you can see here (and embedded below), and a report of the battle of T-8UOF.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch that adds a practice mode and a new sector, among other things.
- AI War – A new patch entitled, “Tumbleweeds In The Stars“, adds a new minor faction in preparation for the next expansion, Vengeance of the Machine.
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – Thanks to IndieGames.com for making me aware of this multiplayer battle arena space game that just launched a Kickstarter. Looks nifty.
- Starlight Inception – There’s a new Kickstarter update showing off how the game is coming along, as well as a new teaser trailer, which will be embedded below.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new version of the game that adds awards and medals, jackets, new console commands and more.
- Aeon Command – Part 2 of the dev’s post mortem is now up.
- Lunar Flight – The multiplayer update — which includes a ton of stuff — is now up on Steam. I totally need to revisit this game.
- Strike Suit Zero – The mod dev tool called XedMod is now available, as well as some mods for the game. I can’t embed the video, however. :/ The Heroes of the Fleet DLC is also out now.
- 90Edges Universe – I was contacted by the dev of this project to let me know it exists. :) (I LOVE that, by the way.) It’s very early right now, but it looks like a neat open universey buildy thing. Check it out.
- Limit Theory – There’s a new dev post every day on their forums, if you’ve not checked it out recently.
- Infinite Pixels – There’s a new alpha trailer over on their IndieDB page, which I’ll also be embedded below. There are also posts on planets and co-op gameplay.
- Star Made – There’s been so much new news since my last update, including a new webserver, several new builds and more, that I’ll just direct you to their news page if you don’t mind. ;)
- Dominium – There’s a new video on their Kickstarter showing off some combat that sadly I can’t embed. It looks fun though. :)
- Void Space – I found this Kickstarter about a space mining simulator? Space AND mining? I love both of those things! Sold! (Maybe, if he updates his campaign at all, which he hasn’t yet, and that is a pet peeve of mine. TALK TO US DAMN YOU! ;)
- StarDrive – Some more reviews from CalmDownTom, Pure News and DMJared on YouTube. (Embedded below).
OH MY GOD that was a lot. But wait, we also have DEALS! Besides the two mentioned yesterday, we also have the following:
FINALLY, we’re done. That took FOREVER to put together, but I love y’all, so y’all are worth it. ;) Have a great weekend!
Videos Right This Way!
90Edges Universe, Aeon Command, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, epic space game, eve online, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gemini wars, GoD Factory: Wingmen, gratuitous space battles, Infinite Pixels, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, Lunar Flight, retrobooster, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, space pirates and zombies, Spaceforce: Rogue Universe, star citizen, Star Conflict, star made, star ruler, star trek online, stardrive, starlight inception, strike suit zero, Void Space, x3 reunion, zigfrak