Spacey Gamey News 10/22/14: Too Tired for a Clever Title
Helloooooo my friends! How are y’all? On my end, I’ve been tiiiiiiiiiiired, so sadly I’ll have fewer videos this week than I might otherwise. I’m therefore going to try and catch y’all up on some news if y’all don’t mind, and there’s been some good stuff happening. Let’s take a look see, shall we?
- Rebel Galaxy – Polygon broke this story, which involves some former Diablo/Torchlight/Fate devs (all of which are great games) making a space game! YAY! It looks great too, and we’ll have the developers on the podcast next month, so stay tuned for that! :)
- Ascent – This game has a week left to go in its Kickstarter, and is a good portion of the way there. Check it out, and also check out our podcast with the dev, it’s a great game!
- Empyrion – Their Kickstarter has finally launched, and it looks great, so go over and check it out. I hope to have a written Q&A with ’em soon!
- Galactic Civilizations III – Lots of stuff on this front, including a new beta version that includes diplomacy — along with a video to show off the new features — and an interview covering the new release over at Space Sector!
- Lord of Rigel – This is a new 4X I was made aware of recently, and it looks pretty cool.
- Void Destroyer – Two new blog posts talk about a lot of recent changes to the game, such as postures, missions and so on.
- Space Rogue – Thanks to many folks and RPGWatch for pointing out this roguelike FTL-style clone thing with the subtitle, “Explore. Panic. Fight”. I do those things every time I play FTL, panic especially. I do love its classic sci-fi aesthetic, though. :)
- 3030 Deathwar – This is a top-down Escape Velocity-esque space adventure that was released TODAY, and is at a “Name your own price” price. ;)I played a version of it a week or so ago and had a blast with it, so stay tuned for my vid along with a written Q&A. ;)
- Starflight – The Upper Memory Block podcast (which is excellent if y’all haven’t listened to it) have a new episode covering Starflight! Yay! The host also released videos of his playing the first and second game, which are entertaining as heck.
- Starsector – OMG a new release! YAY! This one adds an economy to the campaign game and tweaks to the combat as well. I’ve toyed around with it and it’s coming along nicely. Stay tuned for a video, even though I’m terrible at it. ;)
- 10 Minute Space Strategy – New screenshots of map generation just look fantastic. :)
- Starpoint Gemini 2 – Not only can you buy the game on GOG (yay!), but the folks at RPGWatch have a great recent review roundup, so I’ll link to them instead of the individual reviews since they did the work. ;)
- Elite: Dangerous – First off, the most recent newsletter talks about not only the next beta coming on 10/28, it’ll have MINING! YAY! I love mining. Then, Rock, Paper Shotgun has their own diary going about playing through the game, so check it out.
- VoidExpanse – The final update to their alpha branch, as they call it, has been released, which adds female characters and an autopilot (thank god, because seriously). I can’t wait to play it, as it’s been a spell. They also have a hefty post about music along with a small post about what they’re doing to prep for Steam.
- Fractured Space – This is a tactical space combat game coming from the Strike Suit Zero folks, focusing on capital ship combat with teams. I got access to it, but I’ve yet to try it. Damned RL. ;) Thanks for the tip Blues!
- Wayward: Terran Frontier – A massive new blog post detailes the game’s progress with animated images and everything!
- Firefly Online – Thanks to VG24/7 for pointing out this new video showing off some footage of interior environs from the game. Looking shiny!
- Rogue System – A new video shows off the sexy-as-hell weapons and scanning implementation. I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME NOW PLEASE.
- Imperia – On the game’s forums, the developer has detailed a development roadmap to give us all an idea of the future of the game’s development rollout.
- Limit Theory – A new development video update shows off the new UI and lighting systems, among other things, and it looks fantaaaaastic. Read more on their Kickstarter about what’s in this one.
- M.O.R.E. – Space Sector has a pre-alpha look at the game, and it’s looking damned good.
- BossConstructor – A new blog post details the game’s exploration mode, controller support and more.
- Gratuitous Space Battles 2 – A new monthly development video looks just fantastic! :)
Finally, there are some deals for y’all, including:
- As part of Steam’s weekly sale, you can get Descent: Freespace for $2.99 and the fantastic 1C Space Collection for $13.99, which is a steal just for Space Rangers HD alone.
- Indie Gala has both Hegemonia games has part of its Depths of Fear bundle at the $1 price point, which is an odd title to include such a game, honestly.
That’s it for now folks. I likely missed some stuff but I wanted to hit the good stuff this time out (though if I missed anything truly awesome, let me know). Thanks for reading, and have great day!