Two Things I Need a LOT of Right Now…
Hey folks, happy Monday! I hope y’all had a superb weekend! There’s a TON of stuff to get through today, so we’re not gonna dilly dally, rather we’ll just get right through it:
- Endless Space – Lots of news for this one today! First, the Virtual Awakening add-on has been released, followed by the news they’ve sold 300,000 units! Wow! Then, the folks at iGameRadio have an audio review of the Mac version of the game, and finally it’s on sale on Steam as one of their week long sales.
- StarDrive – Plenty for this one too. We have previews from Space Sector and Out of Eight, as well as well as the first part of a Let’s Play video series from legendary Let’s Play creator Das24680. All videos will be embedded below, including these. Stay tuned for my preview also, which I hope to have by the end of this week or early next. ;)
- Void of Darkness – First, on our forum, the lead developer is looking for some help alpha testing the game. Then, on the game’s official site, there are some various updates concerning the game’s progress.
- Limit Theory – Josh has posted his latest update summary on the game’s forums.
- Angular Velocity – Sadly these guys lost their update server, but according to this update it’s all being sorted out.
- StarLife – We now get to find out more about the ominous Empire in the game. I wouldn’t wanna run into one in a dark alley…
- EVE Online – The official site has a new cover story that’s lengthy but looks neat based on my skimming. The Mittani have their usual slew of awesome articles, this time covering EFT tanking and the destruction of the NCDOT carrier fleet at their own hand. Wow.
- Star Citizen – Polygon has an interview with Chris Roberts about the Occulus Rift and other fun stuff. The official site has a general update with news on a new avatar, new forum and other coolness.
- Imperium Galactica Stargazer – There’s a new forum on their site with a small Q&A for y’all to read which hopefully answers some common questions about the new game.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new post on their Kickstarter discussing a new Sage’s Challenge, pendants and more!
- Retrobooster – There’s a new blog update with a video showing off a refinement of conveyor beams, among other nifty things. The demo to this was fun, by the way. ;)
- OreSome – There’s a new blog post on IndieDB discussing the possibilities surrounding multiplayer.
- Vendetta Online – There’s a new update which basically includes a ton of little fixes.
Now, onto deals! There are a few besides the Endless Space one above. Here goes!
Finally, in related news, a gentleman named Joseph Ybarra — who was one of the co-founders of EA and helped produce Starflight, Alien Legacy and other spacey games — has a new planet colonization game on Kickstarter called Shackleton Crater that y’all should take a gander at.
That’s it folks! Have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 3/9-11/13: A Mish Mash of Stuff” »
alien legacy, angular velocity, endless space, eve online, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gratuitous space battles, imperium galactica stargazer, limit theory, oresome, retrobooster, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, star citizen, stardrive, starflight, starlife, Vendetta Online, void of darkness
One of the joys this blog brings — besides you guys, of course ;) — is that without it, there are a lot of wonderful little indie titles I might’ve missed. Case in point, Aeon Command here. If I hadn’t been scouring Desura one day — which isn’t something I did before launching this blog — for new games, I might never have come across it, honestly. I’m really glad I did though, and if you keep on reading, hopefully you’ll see why and try it for yourself. ;)
C’mon In, the Combat’s Fine…
OMG NEW NEWS GRAPHIC! ;)
Hey folks, happy Friday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, was a crazy day and just didn’t have time. There’s two days worth of stuff here, so let’s get right to it!
- Vendetta Online – The Kickstarter — which has only 53 hours left with only 44% funded — has a new update showing off the game on an iPad.
- Beyond Beyaan – Their Kickstarter — which has four days left and is 95% funded — has a new post showing off two races and new stretch goals.
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Thanks to reader Robert for letting me know that OMG THE MANUAL IS FINALLY AVAILABLE ONLINE. Head over to Scribd to check it out.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has two great articles up, one on the U930 massacre, and one on learning the hard way in the game about luck and loss.
- Enemy Starfighter – First new update in a while! This time there’s a post on new AI in the game, which looks awesome.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch called Guarding the Space that optimizes the graphics and controls, as well as new wallpaper for y’all to download.
- Endless Space – Apparently their 4th add-on will be titled Virtual Awakening, and they have a post showing a new hero and new tech. Fun stuff, I hope!
- Escaping Titan – Tyler was interviewed by the folks on Gamezone about the game.
- StarDrive – The folks at IncGamers have written up a lovely preview of the game.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new issue of The Lost Generation on the official site, and their Facebook page has a cool modeling graphic of a Bengal carrier.
- Star Trek Online – Apparently Andorian escort vessels are now available in the game, and they look wonderfully menacing, I think.
- StarLife – There’s some new concept art by Aimee Seaver for y’all to gawk at. :)
- FringeSpace – Thanks to Jim for letting me know about this one. It’s apparently a project to remake Tachyon: The Fringe in the Freespace engine. I love the idea.
- Stars of Call – On our forums, user Mutos let us know about a Naev total conversion that’s based on their original fictional universe. It looks pretty damned cool, and you can try it out for free.
- Ring Runner – There’s a great new video showing off a multiplayer match with bots, which I’ll embed below the cut.
- Bitfighter – This is a new free multiplayer space combat game over on Desura that looks kinda fun.
Now, in deals, there are a LOT to go over, so let’s dive in:
- Gratuitous Space Battles is having a free weekend on Steam, plus the game itself is 75% off, meaning the base game is $3.74 and the “complete” pack is $4.74. The discount isn’t on the latest DLC though.
- Lunar Flight (PC, Mac) is on sale at GetGames for 4.99.
- The Indie Gala Colossus bundle includes a copy of Galactic Civilizations 1: Ultimate Edition along with a buncha other games if you pay around $5 as I write this.
- Amazon is having a HUGE Farewell to February sale, which includes a few space games such as Space Empires 5 for $4.99, O.R.B. for $2.49 and Spacebar (which I’ve never heard of) for $1.24.
- While not technically a space game, Sword of the Stars: The Pit — from the folks who made the Sword of the Stars space games — is finally available and going for $8.99 on GamersGate. Initial impressions are quite mixed on this one.
Finally, in kinda-related news, one of the co-founders of the Unity engine, which a lot of space game devs are using these days, it seems, has left the company to make games on his own. Finally finally, Ziff-Davis closed down 1Up, UGO and GameSpy yesterday, all of which gave decent coverage to space games, so I wish all those folks luck in finding new gigs.
That’s it for today folks! Have an awesome weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Dealsies 2/21-22/13: Random Bucket of Randomness” »
beyond beyaan, bitfighter, endless space, enemy starfighter, escaping titan, eve online, fringespace, galactic civilizations, gratuitous space battles, Lunar Flight, o.r.b., Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, Rules of Engagement 2, Space Empires V, spacebar, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, stardrive, starlife, stars of call, sword of the stars, Vendetta Online
So Much Pew Pew!
With the recent release of The Outcasts expansion pack — which I’m still in the process of playing/losing/reviewing ;) — Gratuitous Space Battles now has seven distinct pieces of DLC, each of which add new ships, races and so much more to the base game. What began as a relatively humble game about a few races slugging it out with your custom-designed ships has exploded into a game with full-blown mod support, dynamic galactic campaigns and much more. Since revisiting the game with the new expansion pack, I’ve found a game much different than when last I played it, and I was curious to find out about the game’s journey from initial release to now. Therefore I jumped at the chance to do a Q&A with the game’s creator, Cliff Harris, the results of which you can read below. Enjoy! :)
Continue reading “Gratuitous Space Battles Q&A: Hands-Off Gaming at Its Finest” »
Heeeeeey party people, how are y’all?! It’s close to the weekend! YAY! I am so looking forward to the weekend it’s silly, and I hope y’all are too. With that said, let’s dive into some news! (Remember, videos are embedded below the cut.)
- Limit Theory – There’s a new video update to show off some lovely progress of the game, and the game’s Kickstarter has some more fun tidbits besides. I want this game now kplzthnxbye. ;)
- Star Citizen – There’s a new issue of The Lost Generation for your reading pleasure.
- EVE Online – There’s a new FanFest 2013 trailer available, and The Mittani has a look at the battle of M0O-JG.
- Drox Operative – There’s a new quick look video over on Tekk’s Tavern.
- Freespace 2 – On the Hard Light Facebook page, they’ve posted about some updated campaigns that take advantage of the latest FS_Open executionable and mediavps.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new screenshot of a ship which, I think, is called the Atamal class. I lose track of the Tweet this came from so I’m not 100%. They need a blog or something…
- StarStrategy – Wow, been AGES since I’ve seen word on this one, but suddenly there are some new screenshots over on SpaceSimCentral!
- Homeworld – The folks at VentureBeat have an interview with teamPixel about their efforts to revive the game’s license.
- Star Conflict – Another update with a new PvE mission involving sabotage!
- Retrobooster – The folks at the Indie Games Channel have written some words about the game. ;)
- Gratuitous Space Battles – Jay is Games (Is he? Is he really?) has a review of the latest DLC for the game, Outcasts. I’ma gonna be working on one too my own self.
- Star Trek Online – Another day, another dev blog, this time discussing the featured embassy project.
- CLR – I just found about about this game yesterday, and you can read more about it on their IndieDB page. I’ll bring you more soon.
- Via Galactica – After what felt like a long hiatus, the game has been updated to version 1.7.3., which adds numerous bug fixes and improvements.
In the deals area, Steam is having a weekend deal on the entire AI War series for 75% off. Finally, there’s a LOVELY fighter concept painting by Numioh over at the Concept Ships blog.
That’s it folks! Remember to tune in tonight at 6 PM Pacific time, 9 PM Eastern time for a LIVE Q&A (my first ever!) with Tyler Yohe of Broken Crown Games. I should be able to embed it here, but you’ll also be able to see it on my brand-new Google+ profile page and my YouTube channel. Hope to see y’all there!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 1/31/13: Some Old Friends Return…” »
ai war fleet command, clr, drox operative, eve online, freespace 2, gratuitous space battles, Homeworld, limit theory, retrobooster, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, starstrategy, via galactica
So. Much. News!
Haaaaay everyone, happy Monday! Also, in the U.S., let’s take a moment to remember the amazing man that was Martin Luther King Jr., for I know I wish he was still here with us. In happier news, it’s my staycation! WOOOOO! Sorry I didn’t post on Friday, but I had a CRAPTON of stuff I had to do that day before leaving work, so this is a catch up edition of the news, and there’s aplenty of it, so let’s get started!
- I just wanna help push the latest Skyjacker kickstarter, as it has four days left and I’d REALLY like ‘em to meet their goal this time. ;) You can also read little article Rock, Paper Shotgun wrote up on ‘em, as well as my Q&A with the devs from way back. Please give if you can. :)
- The Vendetta Online folks have launched their own Kickstarter to help fund the creation of an iPad version of the game as well as the latest major revision to the existing game. Speaking of the existing game, there’s a new update with a bunch of fixes.
- According to a post on the Kinetic Void Kickstarter page, the Kinetic Void folks are planning for the first alpha to be available hopefully around mid-February, with a beta to follow in April. Yay!!!
- In a press release, the Miner Wars 2081 folks have detailed a new patch which adds an offline mode, a cheat mode and numerous bug fixes. They also have a lengthy topic on the new patch over on Steam which goes into more detail.
- The Galaxial blog has a huge new update talking about color variations for asteroids and sectors, railguns and optimizations to their rendering.
- Thanks to 4xgamer for pointing out that there’s a new Star Lords alpha available for your downloading pleasure. Dunno how I missed that.
- I also don’t know how I missed a new patch for Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, but thankfully Blue’s News didn’t. ;) I thought I was on these people’s email lists or something. ;)
- There’s a new update on the StarMade blog talking about its new faction system.
- There’s some lovely new wallpaper for y’all to download over on the Star Conflict site. They also have a new patch which improves corporations.
- The Ring Runner folks have added Tom Servo of Mystery Science 3000 to their payroll, apparently. ;)
- The folks at TruePCGaming have posted their review of Drox Operative (which I’ll be getting to this week I SWEAR). ;)
- Over on their forums, the Amplitude folks have posted where multiplayer stands in Endless Space.
- The folks at IGN have a Let’s Try Video of Zigfrak, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- There’s a new update for Evochron Mercenary on the official site (you just download the whole kit and kaboodle and install it over your existing installation, FYI), which apparently helps with frame rate issues and a bunch of other stuff.
- The IndieDB page for OreSome has a list of the latest patches, as well as news of a preview over on Dad’s Gaming Addiction.
- A new EVE Online deb blog talks about the new duelng feature.
- There’s a new story series called “The Lost Generation” over on the Star Citizen website, and the first issue just launched.
- There’s a new update on the Star Command Kickstarter talking about why the gamehas been delayed.
- According to a new post on the SlipSpace Kickstarter, the game will now support the GameStick thingy.
- Over on Twitter, Celsius Game Studios has a new screenshot of an Egret in Drifter for us to gawk at.
- Finally in spacey gaming news, there are some new concept art shots of Edge of Space over on the game’s forum.
There’s also some non-direct space gaming news from folks related to space gaming, such as:
That’s it! Thanks for your time and patience folks, and have an awesome day. :)
drifter, drox operative, edge of space, endless space, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, gratuitous space battles, Homeworld, kinetic void, miner wars 2081, oresome, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, skyjacker, slipspace, star citizen, Star Command, Star Conflict, star lords, starmade, strike suit zero, sword of the stars, Vendetta Online, weird worlds return to infinite space, zigfrak
Lots of News Lately! Whee!
Heeeeeeeey everyone, how are ya? I’m back, kinda (work is NUTS this week), but I think I have enough time today to throw together some news if y’all don’t mind. Lemme just tell ya, after this week? I am sooooooo looking forward to having next week off. ;) Now let’s dive in, shall we?
- Today’s big news is that Iceberg Interactive will be publishing Starpoint Gemini II. Yay! They also sent over some new screenshots, which I’ll post after the cut. I also admit, I forgot I did a Q&A with the SGII folks a while back (it’s been a while, back off! ;), so I thought I’d put that up here too for your reading pleasure.
- The latest expansion to Gratuitous Space Battles, Outcasts, was released late last week according to Cliffski’s blog. I should be diving into it soon my own self, even though I am HORRIBLE at the game. ;)
- There are new reviews of Drox Operative over on Entertainment Depot and IncGamers. I’m really happy about the amount of press the game is getting, it’s certainly deserved. :) Also, according to their Facebook, a new patch will be released soon! YAY!
- The Strike Suit Zero Kickstarter has an update saying that the game will also be released on GOG for those who want a DRM-free copy. VERY cool!
- Gamasutra has an interview with Deavid Braben (I love the title, “That’s So Braben” *giggle*) which talks about what a rollercoaster the crowdfunding was for Elite: Dangerous.
- GOG has a new space game added to their already amazing selection, this time it’s the great O.R.B. Off-World Resource Base, which many sadly wrote off as a Homeworld clone, which it really isn’t. Regardless, it’s totally worth the $5.99.
- There’s a new update on the SkyJacker Kickstarter trying to get more folks to back their awesome-looking project. Head on over and check it out.
- There’s a new teaser video for Rogue System that looks positively droolworthy, and I’ll be embedding it after the cut.
- There’s a new update on the Galaxial blog talking about recent updates to the game such as new interface windows and music.
- Apparently there’s been a substantive update to Fairspace Genesis that adds a TON of stuff like contrails, better pilot AI, improved quest rewards and more. There’s also a new video showing some of these off, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- The Beyond Beyaan blog has a new update looking at sectors, as well as one saying less is more.
- The StarMade site has a list of recent changes to the game, of which there are several.
- According to Massively, season eight of Star Trek Online will be arriving later this year to mark the three-year anniversary of the game. Season nine will be rolled out shortly thereafter.
- There’s a cool new screenshot of Solar War over on its Facebook page.
- The first release candidate of Freespace Open 3.6.16 is available for those brave souls willing to try it. ;)
- Apparently you can now purchase the Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion soundtrack as separate DLC over on Steam, which I totally plan to do soon.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has a lovely little look at Edge of Space.
- Finally in news, Space Sector has a list of sci-fi games you can’t miss in 2013. Don’t worry, I won’t let’cha miss ‘em either. ;)
In deals news, we only have a couple. A new Bundle Stars bundle has been launched with some pretty good games in it…and Stellar Impact. ;) I only mention it because it’s a space game, but the overall bundle is pretty awesome despite its inclusion. ;) They also re-launched their original bundle, which includes the really fun Star Wolves 2.
That’s it folks. Have a lovely day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game Newsies and Dealsies – 1/11-15/13” »
beyond beyaan, drox operative, edge of space, elite: dangerous, fairspace genesis, freespace open, galaxial, gratuitous space battles, rogue system, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, solar war, star trek online, Star Wolves 2, starmade, starpoint gemini ii, stellar impact, strike suit zero
Bring On the News!
Hey everyone, happy Friday! As this will very likely be the last thing I post before Christmas day, I wanted to wish all those who celebrate the holiday a joyous, fun, and present-filled holiday. :) Now let’s jump into some news and deals!
- First up the Emeny Starfighter site has been updated with two awesome videos showing some fun, short bits of the game. I’ll embed these below, but be sure to check ‘em out, especially the one showing things getting blowed up. ;)
- Okay, get this folks. There’s a new update for one of the Distant Worlds expansions, but not Legends, rather, Return of the Shakturi. That’s kinda crazy awesome. Apparently, “v18.104.22.168 update incorporates all the bug fixes and performance improvements from Distant Worlds: Legends,” which is pretty cool if you’ve not purchased Legends yet.
- Star Trek Online Community Manager Brandon “BranFlakes” Felczer was interviewed on the Deck Eight podcast.
- The Limit Theory Kickstarter has been updated with talk on creating a faction and a new tech demo, which I’ll embed below. Definitely looking awesome!
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has posted an excellent review of Drox Operative that anyone on the fence about getting the game needs to read.
- Iteration 14 of Void Destroyer has been released, which includes a new command mode, turret enhancements and more!
- The Vendetta Online folks have released their holiday newsletter, which offers some free time for previous subscribers and so on.
- The Star Conflict folks are now offering gold standards for victories in battles, which can be used as currency in the game it seems.
- Finally, the Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter has been updated with video of a scavenger hunt (embedded below) as well as some other useful links. Whoopiedeedoo.
Now onto deals, of which there are a bunch today. First off, GamersGate’s holiday sale seems to be in full force, and they have the following funness:
WHEW. Now, we’re not done yet, because DotEmu is also having a sale, which includes the following:
NOW we’re done, and I need a nap. ;) Again, have a wonderful and festive holiday folks, and thanks as always for visiting. :)
Get’cher Videos Right This Way, Folks!
dark matter, darkstar one, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, drox operative, elite: dangerous, enemy starfighter, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, galactic dream, gratuitous space battles, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos, Independence War Deluxe Edition, limit theory, master of orion, master of orion 3, o.r.b., sins of a solar empire: rebellion, Space Empires IV, Space Empires V, Star Conflict, star fury, star trek online, stellar impact, Vendetta Online, Void Destroyer
IT OWNS YOU! ;)
The Steam Holiday Sale is ON LIKE DONKEY KONG, and here are all the spacey games I’ve been able to find (which is similar to the Thanksgiving sale in a lot of ways):
No go buy stuff! ;)
aces of the galaxy, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, darkstar one, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, flotilla, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gratuitous space battles, Gratuitous Tank Battles, Lunar Flight, nexus the jupiter incident, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, sol exodus, Space Empires V, space pirates and zombies, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, starpoint gemini, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, x superbox
The News is Back!
Hey folks, happy Tuesday! SO SORRY I didn’t post yesterday, but I was sick as a dog. Apparently I have a bronchial infection, woohoo! It subsided for a week or so but came back full force this past weekend, so badly that I went to the doctor yesterday. Now I have drugs!! Woohoo! So let me bring you up to speed on all the spacey gamey newsiness in my drug-enduced sleepy haze, and enjoy!
- First, there are a bunch of news bits about Elite: Dangerous. First, Frontier Developents laid off fourteen people as a result of “changing mix of skills requirements for our current and future projects”. I’m sure I speak for us all when I say we wish them the best of luck during this tough time. Despite this, the number of updates over on Kickstarter has really kicked it up a notch. These updates include part 3 of the Chris Roberts/David Braben Interview (embedded after the cut), an updated FAQ, a new render of an Anaconda plus news that anyone pledging over ninety pounds will get all content updates forever, and a video with David Braben talking about the game’s development plan (also embedded below). WHEW.
- The Kickstarter for Skyjacker has its first update about why it exists, as well as a new update looking at transformations, which is really nifty!
- Adam Solo over on Space Sector has an interview with the CEO of Iceberg Interactive about all sorts of fun stuff!
- There’s a new spacey game coming called Barrage which is a 4X thingy that we don’t know much about yet, but sounds nifty! The dev let me know about it via Twitter.
- The Predestination Kickstater has a new update looking at their first stretch goal, accepting Paypal donations and more.
- The Dominion Kickstarter page has a new update in which they blow crap up!
- There’s a new reviews of Drox Operative over at Gamer Living, ElcomeSoft, GamerCast and a video review by Strafing Forward as well! Yay! (Yes, I know I have mine to do. :P) You can now also buy the game from the Mac Game Store.
- There’s a video preview of Retrobooster over at GamersDissent. Looks like a good time.
- The Star Citizen site has an update about their partnership with Behavior Interactive, an update on their forums and plenty more.
- There are two new meaty Limit Theory updates on their Kickstarter, including a space station tech demo and new stretch goals, among other things!
- There’s a new dev blog talking about Polaris, the third free content update for Endless Space.
- There are some new screenshots of Strike Suit Zero on their Facebook page.
- According to their blog, Ensign-1 now supports Xbox 360 controllers.
- There’s a new blog update on the Rodina website talking about revamped planet generators.
- A new update for Star Made brings a shield system, a revised chat system and more!
- Star Conflict now has friends lists as part of their most recent update, according to their blog.
- Finally, RTS Guru has an article entitled “Do Strategy Gamers care about Visual effects?” that mentions FTL a bit.
SHEEESH! But wait folks, we’re not done! We also have DEALS, starting with a bunch from GamersGate today, which are as follows:
Next up, the Groupees folks have a Build a Greenlight Bundle that includes Salvation Prophecy.
Finally in deals, DotEmu has a bunch, including:
FINALLY, we have some great concept spaceship from MANCHU and Steve Shi from the Concept Ships blog.
WHEEEEW! Thanks for your patience folks, REALLY appreciate it. Once I get better and the holidays are over I should be able to resume something of a normal schedule and get more actual content out. :) Have a great day y’all!
This Way for All The Videos!
barrage, darkstar one, dominion, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, ensign 1, FTL, gratuitous space battles, limit theory, miner wars 2081, o.r.b., predestination, retrobooster, rodina, Salvation Prophecy, skyjacker, Space Empires IV, space empires: starfury, star citizen, Star Conflict, star made, strike suit zero