AI War Intimidates Me and Fascinates Me…
Hello friends, and welcome to the latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. This time Jim and I sit down with Christopher Park, founder and lead developer at Arcen Games, to talk about their upcoming space game, The Last Federation, along with the continued success of AI War and so much more. It’s a fun and candid discussion about the ins and outs of indie gaming and much more. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we hope you enjoy the show, invite your comments below and hope you’ll subscribe to us on RSS or iTunes. Thanks for listening! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #38: Getting the Last Word on The Last Federation (and Arcen Games, and So Much More…)” »
Helllloooo my friends, and happy Thursday! One more day until the weekend, and I know I can’t wait! I’m low on time, so I’m gonna jump right into the news if y’all don’t mind. ;)
Finally, in deals, there’s a new weekly sale on the Humble Bundle website which includes Gratuitous Space Battles and three other Positech games for a little over $3, which is a steal.
That’s it folks! Have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 7/25/13: The Quick and Dirty Edition” »
Drowning Under the Tide of News…
Hellloooooo everyone, and happy Friday! This was a really nutty week for me, hence the lack of news until today! I’ve got a WEEK’S worth of stuff to get through, so let’s DO THIS! ;)
(Sorry if the news pieces appear a bit disjointed, I had to go through between seventy to eighty news pieces out of order ;)
- Distant Worlds: Shadows – The game came out yesterday, and there’s already a new patch to fix some crashing problems that users have found since release. Das24680 also has five new videos of the game showing off more gameplay. Youtube user Pewpewchewchew also has a Let’s Play video of his own. These will all be embedded below.
- SkyJacker – There’s some new photos over on their facebook showing off the disassembly of a Shaarkarians mothership. They also have dissasembly videos of a Shaarkarians mothership, a Rak-Tak-Bashogee battleship and a Rak-Tak-Bashogee cruiser.
- Star Citizen – We have some new wallpapers showing off the planet Tyrol, part 8 of the writer’s guide, a Congress Now news update, a sneak peak at the hanger module and an interview with network and server programmer Tom Sawyer (embedded below as well). They also just announced an upcoming livingstreaming event in late June. Finally, Forbes did a video interview with Chris Roberts, which is also embedded below.
- Retrobooster – The developer recorded a video demo for the folks at IGN, which I can’t embed. The demo is a ton of fun, by the by. ;)
- Kerbal Space Program – Version 0.20 of the game has been released and adds things like chairs and other parts! Yay chairs! ;) There’s also a new merchandise store! I want a mug.
- Elite: Dangerous – There’s a new fiction diary entry over on their Kickstarter, and the video will be embedded below. Thanks to Wild Bill for the tip!
- Drox Operative – In the midst of making an expansion, Steven has released a beta patch for the game. This new patch has a ton of little fixes.
- Star Trek Online – The new Legacy of Romulus expansion went live yesterday! Yay! There’s also a dev blog on Dilithium 101.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has word of a super-cap and dreadnaught battle in Venal and a brawl in Delve, both of which sound expensive. There’s also a video and interview regarding Campigenus, a twenty-four minute fan movie you can see here (and embedded below), and a report of the battle of T-8UOF.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch that adds a practice mode and a new sector, among other things.
- AI War – A new patch entitled, “Tumbleweeds In The Stars“, adds a new minor faction in preparation for the next expansion, Vengeance of the Machine.
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – Thanks to IndieGames.com for making me aware of this multiplayer battle arena space game that just launched a Kickstarter. Looks nifty.
- Starlight Inception – There’s a new Kickstarter update showing off how the game is coming along, as well as a new teaser trailer, which will be embedded below.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new version of the game that adds awards and medals, jackets, new console commands and more.
- Aeon Command – Part 2 of the dev’s post mortem is now up.
- Lunar Flight – The multiplayer update — which includes a ton of stuff — is now up on Steam. I totally need to revisit this game.
- Strike Suit Zero – The mod dev tool called XedMod is now available, as well as some mods for the game. I can’t embed the video, however. :/ The Heroes of the Fleet DLC is also out now.
- 90Edges Universe – I was contacted by the dev of this project to let me know it exists. :) (I LOVE that, by the way.) It’s very early right now, but it looks like a neat open universey buildy thing. Check it out.
- Limit Theory – There’s a new dev post every day on their forums, if you’ve not checked it out recently.
- Infinite Pixels – There’s a new alpha trailer over on their IndieDB page, which I’ll also be embedded below. There are also posts on planets and co-op gameplay.
- Star Made – There’s been so much new news since my last update, including a new webserver, several new builds and more, that I’ll just direct you to their news page if you don’t mind. ;)
- Dominium – There’s a new video on their Kickstarter showing off some combat that sadly I can’t embed. It looks fun though. :)
- Void Space – I found this Kickstarter about a space mining simulator? Space AND mining? I love both of those things! Sold! (Maybe, if he updates his campaign at all, which he hasn’t yet, and that is a pet peeve of mine. TALK TO US DAMN YOU! ;)
- StarDrive – Some more reviews from CalmDownTom, Pure News and DMJared on YouTube. (Embedded below).
OH MY GOD that was a lot. But wait, we also have DEALS! Besides the two mentioned yesterday, we also have the following:
FINALLY, we’re done. That took FOREVER to put together, but I love y’all, so y’all are worth it. ;) Have a great weekend!
Videos Right This Way!
90Edges Universe, Aeon Command, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, epic space game, eve online, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gemini wars, GoD Factory: Wingmen, gratuitous space battles, Infinite Pixels, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, Lunar Flight, retrobooster, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, space pirates and zombies, Spaceforce: Rogue Universe, star citizen, Star Conflict, star made, star ruler, star trek online, stardrive, starlight inception, strike suit zero, Void Space, x3 reunion, zigfrak
Two Things I Need a LOT of Right Now…
Hey folks, happy Monday! I hope y’all had a superb weekend! There’s a TON of stuff to get through today, so we’re not gonna dilly dally, rather we’ll just get right through it:
- Endless Space – Lots of news for this one today! First, the Virtual Awakening add-on has been released, followed by the news they’ve sold 300,000 units! Wow! Then, the folks at iGameRadio have an audio review of the Mac version of the game, and finally it’s on sale on Steam as one of their week long sales.
- StarDrive – Plenty for this one too. We have previews from Space Sector and Out of Eight, as well as well as the first part of a Let’s Play video series from legendary Let’s Play creator Das24680. All videos will be embedded below, including these. Stay tuned for my preview also, which I hope to have by the end of this week or early next. ;)
- Void of Darkness – First, on our forum, the lead developer is looking for some help alpha testing the game. Then, on the game’s official site, there are some various updates concerning the game’s progress.
- Limit Theory – Josh has posted his latest update summary on the game’s forums.
- Angular Velocity – Sadly these guys lost their update server, but according to this update it’s all being sorted out.
- StarLife – We now get to find out more about the ominous Empire in the game. I wouldn’t wanna run into one in a dark alley…
- EVE Online – The official site has a new cover story that’s lengthy but looks neat based on my skimming. The Mittani have their usual slew of awesome articles, this time covering EFT tanking and the destruction of the NCDOT carrier fleet at their own hand. Wow.
- Star Citizen – Polygon has an interview with Chris Roberts about the Occulus Rift and other fun stuff. The official site has a general update with news on a new avatar, new forum and other coolness.
- Imperium Galactica Stargazer – There’s a new forum on their site with a small Q&A for y’all to read which hopefully answers some common questions about the new game.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new post on their Kickstarter discussing a new Sage’s Challenge, pendants and more!
- Retrobooster – There’s a new blog update with a video showing off a refinement of conveyor beams, among other nifty things. The demo to this was fun, by the way. ;)
- OreSome – There’s a new blog post on IndieDB discussing the possibilities surrounding multiplayer.
- Vendetta Online – There’s a new update which basically includes a ton of little fixes.
Now, onto deals! There are a few besides the Endless Space one above. Here goes!
Finally, in related news, a gentleman named Joseph Ybarra — who was one of the co-founders of EA and helped produce Starflight, Alien Legacy and other spacey games — has a new planet colonization game on Kickstarter called Shackleton Crater that y’all should take a gander at.
That’s it folks! Have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 3/9-11/13: A Mish Mash of Stuff” »
alien legacy, angular velocity, endless space, eve online, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gratuitous space battles, imperium galactica stargazer, limit theory, oresome, retrobooster, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, star citizen, stardrive, starflight, starlife, Vendetta Online, void of darkness
One of the joys this blog brings — besides you guys, of course ;) — is that without it, there are a lot of wonderful little indie titles I might’ve missed. Case in point, Aeon Command here. If I hadn’t been scouring Desura one day — which isn’t something I did before launching this blog — for new games, I might never have come across it, honestly. I’m really glad I did though, and if you keep on reading, hopefully you’ll see why and try it for yourself. ;)
C’mon In, the Combat’s Fine…
OMG NEW NEWS GRAPHIC! ;)
Hey folks, happy Friday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, was a crazy day and just didn’t have time. There’s two days worth of stuff here, so let’s get right to it!
- Vendetta Online – The Kickstarter — which has only 53 hours left with only 44% funded — has a new update showing off the game on an iPad.
- Beyond Beyaan – Their Kickstarter — which has four days left and is 95% funded — has a new post showing off two races and new stretch goals.
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Thanks to reader Robert for letting me know that OMG THE MANUAL IS FINALLY AVAILABLE ONLINE. Head over to Scribd to check it out.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has two great articles up, one on the U930 massacre, and one on learning the hard way in the game about luck and loss.
- Enemy Starfighter – First new update in a while! This time there’s a post on new AI in the game, which looks awesome.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch called Guarding the Space that optimizes the graphics and controls, as well as new wallpaper for y’all to download.
- Endless Space – Apparently their 4th add-on will be titled Virtual Awakening, and they have a post showing a new hero and new tech. Fun stuff, I hope!
- Escaping Titan – Tyler was interviewed by the folks on Gamezone about the game.
- StarDrive – The folks at IncGamers have written up a lovely preview of the game.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new issue of The Lost Generation on the official site, and their Facebook page has a cool modeling graphic of a Bengal carrier.
- Star Trek Online – Apparently Andorian escort vessels are now available in the game, and they look wonderfully menacing, I think.
- StarLife – There’s some new concept art by Aimee Seaver for y’all to gawk at. :)
- FringeSpace – Thanks to Jim for letting me know about this one. It’s apparently a project to remake Tachyon: The Fringe in the Freespace engine. I love the idea.
- Stars of Call – On our forums, user Mutos let us know about a Naev total conversion that’s based on their original fictional universe. It looks pretty damned cool, and you can try it out for free.
- Ring Runner – There’s a great new video showing off a multiplayer match with bots, which I’ll embed below the cut.
- Bitfighter – This is a new free multiplayer space combat game over on Desura that looks kinda fun.
Now, in deals, there are a LOT to go over, so let’s dive in:
- Gratuitous Space Battles is having a free weekend on Steam, plus the game itself is 75% off, meaning the base game is $3.74 and the “complete” pack is $4.74. The discount isn’t on the latest DLC though.
- Lunar Flight (PC, Mac) is on sale at GetGames for 4.99.
- The Indie Gala Colossus bundle includes a copy of Galactic Civilizations 1: Ultimate Edition along with a buncha other games if you pay around $5 as I write this.
- Amazon is having a HUGE Farewell to February sale, which includes a few space games such as Space Empires 5 for $4.99, O.R.B. for $2.49 and Spacebar (which I’ve never heard of) for $1.24.
- While not technically a space game, Sword of the Stars: The Pit — from the folks who made the Sword of the Stars space games — is finally available and going for $8.99 on GamersGate. Initial impressions are quite mixed on this one.
Finally, in kinda-related news, one of the co-founders of the Unity engine, which a lot of space game devs are using these days, it seems, has left the company to make games on his own. Finally finally, Ziff-Davis closed down 1Up, UGO and GameSpy yesterday, all of which gave decent coverage to space games, so I wish all those folks luck in finding new gigs.
That’s it for today folks! Have an awesome weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Dealsies 2/21-22/13: Random Bucket of Randomness” »
beyond beyaan, bitfighter, endless space, enemy starfighter, escaping titan, eve online, fringespace, galactic civilizations, gratuitous space battles, Lunar Flight, o.r.b., Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, Rules of Engagement 2, Space Empires V, spacebar, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, stardrive, starlife, stars of call, sword of the stars, Vendetta Online
So Much Pew Pew!
With the recent release of The Outcasts expansion pack — which I’m still in the process of playing/losing/reviewing ;) — Gratuitous Space Battles now has seven distinct pieces of DLC, each of which add new ships, races and so much more to the base game. What began as a relatively humble game about a few races slugging it out with your custom-designed ships has exploded into a game with full-blown mod support, dynamic galactic campaigns and much more. Since revisiting the game with the new expansion pack, I’ve found a game much different than when last I played it, and I was curious to find out about the game’s journey from initial release to now. Therefore I jumped at the chance to do a Q&A with the game’s creator, Cliff Harris, the results of which you can read below. Enjoy! :)
Continue reading “Gratuitous Space Battles Q&A: Hands-Off Gaming at Its Finest” »
Heeeeeey party people, how are y’all?! It’s close to the weekend! YAY! I am so looking forward to the weekend it’s silly, and I hope y’all are too. With that said, let’s dive into some news! (Remember, videos are embedded below the cut.)
- Limit Theory – There’s a new video update to show off some lovely progress of the game, and the game’s Kickstarter has some more fun tidbits besides. I want this game now kplzthnxbye. ;)
- Star Citizen – There’s a new issue of The Lost Generation for your reading pleasure.
- EVE Online – There’s a new FanFest 2013 trailer available, and The Mittani has a look at the battle of M0O-JG.
- Drox Operative – There’s a new quick look video over on Tekk’s Tavern.
- Freespace 2 – On the Hard Light Facebook page, they’ve posted about some updated campaigns that take advantage of the latest FS_Open executionable and mediavps.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new screenshot of a ship which, I think, is called the Atamal class. I lose track of the Tweet this came from so I’m not 100%. They need a blog or something…
- StarStrategy – Wow, been AGES since I’ve seen word on this one, but suddenly there are some new screenshots over on SpaceSimCentral!
- Homeworld – The folks at VentureBeat have an interview with teamPixel about their efforts to revive the game’s license.
- Star Conflict – Another update with a new PvE mission involving sabotage!
- Retrobooster – The folks at the Indie Games Channel have written some words about the game. ;)
- Gratuitous Space Battles – Jay is Games (Is he? Is he really?) has a review of the latest DLC for the game, Outcasts. I’ma gonna be working on one too my own self.
- Star Trek Online – Another day, another dev blog, this time discussing the featured embassy project.
- CLR – I just found about about this game yesterday, and you can read more about it on their IndieDB page. I’ll bring you more soon.
- Via Galactica – After what felt like a long hiatus, the game has been updated to version 1.7.3., which adds numerous bug fixes and improvements.
In the deals area, Steam is having a weekend deal on the entire AI War series for 75% off. Finally, there’s a LOVELY fighter concept painting by Numioh over at the Concept Ships blog.
That’s it folks! Remember to tune in tonight at 6 PM Pacific time, 9 PM Eastern time for a LIVE Q&A (my first ever!) with Tyler Yohe of Broken Crown Games. I should be able to embed it here, but you’ll also be able to see it on my brand-new Google+ profile page and my YouTube channel. Hope to see y’all there!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 1/31/13: Some Old Friends Return…” »
ai war fleet command, clr, drox operative, eve online, freespace 2, gratuitous space battles, Homeworld, limit theory, retrobooster, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, starstrategy, via galactica
So. Much. News!
Haaaaay everyone, happy Monday! Also, in the U.S., let’s take a moment to remember the amazing man that was Martin Luther King Jr., for I know I wish he was still here with us. In happier news, it’s my staycation! WOOOOO! Sorry I didn’t post on Friday, but I had a CRAPTON of stuff I had to do that day before leaving work, so this is a catch up edition of the news, and there’s aplenty of it, so let’s get started!
- I just wanna help push the latest Skyjacker kickstarter, as it has four days left and I’d REALLY like ‘em to meet their goal this time. ;) You can also read little article Rock, Paper Shotgun wrote up on ‘em, as well as my Q&A with the devs from way back. Please give if you can. :)
- The Vendetta Online folks have launched their own Kickstarter to help fund the creation of an iPad version of the game as well as the latest major revision to the existing game. Speaking of the existing game, there’s a new update with a bunch of fixes.
- According to a post on the Kinetic Void Kickstarter page, the Kinetic Void folks are planning for the first alpha to be available hopefully around mid-February, with a beta to follow in April. Yay!!!
- In a press release, the Miner Wars 2081 folks have detailed a new patch which adds an offline mode, a cheat mode and numerous bug fixes. They also have a lengthy topic on the new patch over on Steam which goes into more detail.
- The Galaxial blog has a huge new update talking about color variations for asteroids and sectors, railguns and optimizations to their rendering.
- Thanks to 4xgamer for pointing out that there’s a new Star Lords alpha available for your downloading pleasure. Dunno how I missed that.
- I also don’t know how I missed a new patch for Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, but thankfully Blue’s News didn’t. ;) I thought I was on these people’s email lists or something. ;)
- There’s a new update on the StarMade blog talking about its new faction system.
- There’s some lovely new wallpaper for y’all to download over on the Star Conflict site. They also have a new patch which improves corporations.
- The Ring Runner folks have added Tom Servo of Mystery Science 3000 to their payroll, apparently. ;)
- The folks at TruePCGaming have posted their review of Drox Operative (which I’ll be getting to this week I SWEAR). ;)
- Over on their forums, the Amplitude folks have posted where multiplayer stands in Endless Space.
- The folks at IGN have a Let’s Try Video of Zigfrak, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- There’s a new update for Evochron Mercenary on the official site (you just download the whole kit and kaboodle and install it over your existing installation, FYI), which apparently helps with frame rate issues and a bunch of other stuff.
- The IndieDB page for OreSome has a list of the latest patches, as well as news of a preview over on Dad’s Gaming Addiction.
- A new EVE Online deb blog talks about the new duelng feature.
- There’s a new story series called “The Lost Generation” over on the Star Citizen website, and the first issue just launched.
- There’s a new update on the Star Command Kickstarter talking about why the gamehas been delayed.
- According to a new post on the SlipSpace Kickstarter, the game will now support the GameStick thingy.
- Over on Twitter, Celsius Game Studios has a new screenshot of an Egret in Drifter for us to gawk at.
- Finally in spacey gaming news, there are some new concept art shots of Edge of Space over on the game’s forum.
There’s also some non-direct space gaming news from folks related to space gaming, such as:
That’s it! Thanks for your time and patience folks, and have an awesome day. :)
drifter, drox operative, edge of space, endless space, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, gratuitous space battles, Homeworld, kinetic void, miner wars 2081, oresome, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, skyjacker, slipspace, star citizen, Star Command, Star Conflict, star lords, starmade, strike suit zero, sword of the stars, Vendetta Online, weird worlds return to infinite space, zigfrak
Lots of News Lately! Whee!
Heeeeeeeey everyone, how are ya? I’m back, kinda (work is NUTS this week), but I think I have enough time today to throw together some news if y’all don’t mind. Lemme just tell ya, after this week? I am sooooooo looking forward to having next week off. ;) Now let’s dive in, shall we?
- Today’s big news is that Iceberg Interactive will be publishing Starpoint Gemini II. Yay! They also sent over some new screenshots, which I’ll post after the cut. I also admit, I forgot I did a Q&A with the SGII folks a while back (it’s been a while, back off! ;), so I thought I’d put that up here too for your reading pleasure.
- The latest expansion to Gratuitous Space Battles, Outcasts, was released late last week according to Cliffski’s blog. I should be diving into it soon my own self, even though I am HORRIBLE at the game. ;)
- There are new reviews of Drox Operative over on Entertainment Depot and IncGamers. I’m really happy about the amount of press the game is getting, it’s certainly deserved. :) Also, according to their Facebook, a new patch will be released soon! YAY!
- The Strike Suit Zero Kickstarter has an update saying that the game will also be released on GOG for those who want a DRM-free copy. VERY cool!
- Gamasutra has an interview with Deavid Braben (I love the title, “That’s So Braben” *giggle*) which talks about what a rollercoaster the crowdfunding was for Elite: Dangerous.
- GOG has a new space game added to their already amazing selection, this time it’s the great O.R.B. Off-World Resource Base, which many sadly wrote off as a Homeworld clone, which it really isn’t. Regardless, it’s totally worth the $5.99.
- There’s a new update on the SkyJacker Kickstarter trying to get more folks to back their awesome-looking project. Head on over and check it out.
- There’s a new teaser video for Rogue System that looks positively droolworthy, and I’ll be embedding it after the cut.
- There’s a new update on the Galaxial blog talking about recent updates to the game such as new interface windows and music.
- Apparently there’s been a substantive update to Fairspace Genesis that adds a TON of stuff like contrails, better pilot AI, improved quest rewards and more. There’s also a new video showing some of these off, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- The Beyond Beyaan blog has a new update looking at sectors, as well as one saying less is more.
- The StarMade site has a list of recent changes to the game, of which there are several.
- According to Massively, season eight of Star Trek Online will be arriving later this year to mark the three-year anniversary of the game. Season nine will be rolled out shortly thereafter.
- There’s a cool new screenshot of Solar War over on its Facebook page.
- The first release candidate of Freespace Open 3.6.16 is available for those brave souls willing to try it. ;)
- Apparently you can now purchase the Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion soundtrack as separate DLC over on Steam, which I totally plan to do soon.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has a lovely little look at Edge of Space.
- Finally in news, Space Sector has a list of sci-fi games you can’t miss in 2013. Don’t worry, I won’t let’cha miss ‘em either. ;)
In deals news, we only have a couple. A new Bundle Stars bundle has been launched with some pretty good games in it…and Stellar Impact. ;) I only mention it because it’s a space game, but the overall bundle is pretty awesome despite its inclusion. ;) They also re-launched their original bundle, which includes the really fun Star Wolves 2.
That’s it folks. Have a lovely day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game Newsies and Dealsies – 1/11-15/13” »
beyond beyaan, drox operative, edge of space, elite: dangerous, fairspace genesis, freespace open, galaxial, gratuitous space battles, rogue system, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, solar war, star trek online, Star Wolves 2, starmade, starpoint gemini ii, stellar impact, strike suit zero