Hey folks, how are ya? I’m mired in work on my end, but I wanted to take a little break and let y’all know that the fun top-down space shooter Ring Runner is on sale for the next three days on IndieGameStand for $1 at minimum. If you pay $1.71 (as I write this), you’ll also get HD backgrounds, a Ring Runner novel and the soundtrack (which is really good). I’ve been playing this one as I have time, and I’m really digging it, so snag this game while you can. Enjoy!
Howdy folks, and welcome to this episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! In this episode, Jim and I sit down with one of the creators of Ring Runner – Flight of the Sages, Enrique Dryere, to talk about the long road between the conception and the upcoming release of this awesome upcoming top-down Newtonian space combat RPG thing. :) As with all of our podcasts, the conversation veers off in several different directions, but that’s one of the constants of our chats, isn’t it? ;)
As always, we look forward to your comments below, and invite you to follow us through RSS or Itunes. :) Thanks for listening, and have an awesome day!
I know I know, I keep harping on this gamepad stuff, but seriously, hear me out. For years, I didn’t think I needed a gamepad on the PC. I mean, I had a full HOTAS setup, and for games that didn’t use that, a mouse and keyboard were far, FAR more accurate than a gamepad, right? I mean c’mon, any game that had gamepad support had it there to be secondary to those other, apparently superior forms of PC gaming control, right?
Boy, am I being proven wrong, and it’s amazing.
Haaaaaaaaaaay friends, happy hump day! We’re this much closer to the weekend, which means more games (for me, anyway)! ;) I’ve come to that point where X3: Albion Prelude is on my review list. I’ve not been a huge fan of the X games for a spell, but I’ll be giving this one a fair shake, and who knows, maybe being forced to stick with it for a spell might help endear me to it. Maybe if I approach it like Euro Truck Simulator 2 in space, I’ll have more fun with it. ;) Anyway, there’s news today, so let’s get to it!
- Dominion – Over on their Kickstarter — which I urge you to visit — there’s a new video of combat in the game, which I’ll embed below the cut.
- Ring Runner – According to their Kickstarter, the game’s soundtrack is now available! YAY! You can buy it on Bandcamp for $6 if you didn’t get it through Kickstarter (which I will be, can’t wait!). So far it’s really awesome. Also, they’ll be launching a new version of their website tomorrow.
- Starlight Inception – There’s a May update incoming, but they’ve let us know through Kickstarter that they’ve opened a shop with stuff you can buy. Wheee!
- Void of Darkness – There’s some new shots of the title screen, and a new video showing off mine launchers in the game over on IndieDB, which I’ll also embed below.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s some new artwork showing off the race of Nurds (I have to say, I love it. :)
- Starsector – The dev has released several sketches of the game in progress which are fascinating to look at.
- EVE Online – A few stories here, first from The Mittani, who have word of the latest release of Retribution, as well as news of the latest Caldari offensive. VGN24/7 has coverage of the 3,000 Rifter anniversary battle we mentioned a little while back, which looks wackadoo. The article includes video, which I’ll embed below.
- StarDrive – There’s a new review on Polygon and…I’ll just leave it there…
- Star Citizen – The RSI folks apparently felt the need to clarify the whole lifetime insurance thing.
Finally, the Concept Ships blog has some lovely art from CPTXIN.
That’s it for now folks. Hope y’all are having a lovely day!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay friends, how are you? Welcome back from the weekend, and happy Monday! I hope y’all are having a great day! I know I am because there’s just so much spacey gameyness going on! ;) Let’s dive in, shall we?
- Limit Theory – A new Limit Theory Prototype has been released, and while only those who pledged at the $75 level and above during the Kickstarter can PLAY it, there’s a video tutorial of it we can watch at least while we wait for beta access. It’ll also be embedded below. I wanna play this noooooooow. *weeps*
- Star Citizen – The Aurora fighter has been fully detailed in a lovely new brochure, and there’s a sale on the craft as well, this week only. It’s selling well enough for there to be a thank you post with more info, art and so on. I’m very tempted to get one…
- EVE Online – The Mittani has just a deluge of reports from FanFest, including the keynote, CCP Presents, art developments, CSM8 winners, as well as other articles covering the great fuel crunch and Heydieles and Old Man Star changing hands. On the dev blog, there are articles covering resource rebalancing in Odyssey as well as a resource rebalancing as well. Then, according to multiple sources, there will be an EVE Online TV and comic book series using player-submitted stories. Wow. Finally, some CCP programmers made a first-person dogfighting game called EVR that looks pretty damned cool.
- Infinite Space 3 – The good folks at Digital Eel made their Kickstarter goal! Congrats to them!!!
- StarDrive – Hold the Line has an interview with Dan DiCicco about the game.
- Void of Darkness – Seems the main dev is running into some coding problems. ;)
- Ring Runner – There’s a lovely preview of the game over on Greenlit Gaming. This reminds me that I need to add this to my preview queue…
- StarLife – There’s a preview article covering colinies, events and regions for y’all to dig into.
- Dominion – After testing a new pitch, these folks are gonna launch a new Kickstarter campaign on May 4th. Best of luck to ‘em!S
- StarMade – There’s a new post detailing startup sync and missile changes.
- Drox Operative – The folks at Indie Game Magazine has a Let’s Try video of the game, which I’ll embed below.
- Epic Space Game – A new update brings smoother mouse zooming, changes to jump drives and a lot more.
- OreSome – In a recent IndieDB post, apparently multiplayer is being experimented with. You can now also buy the game on GamersGate.
- And Here the Wheel – The author of this novel based on Elite: Dangerous has a progress update for us all to read.
Whew, that’s a mouthful right there, but we also have deals! These include:
- GamersGate has a daily deal on the Galactic Civilizations Ultimate Bundle, which is the ultimate versions of both Galactic Civilizations games for $8.50, which really is a steal.
- You can also get StarDrive at GamersGate for 10% off the full price, or $26.96 currently.
- Also as part of GamersGate’s Spring Sale, you can get
- Gemini Wars for $7.98
- Star Wolves for $4.00
- Star Wolves 2 for $5.98
- Star Wolves 3: Civil War for $7.98
- A bundle of all 3 Star Wolves games for $17.98 (Recommended if you don’t already have them)
- The Tomorrow War for $8.00
- If you wanna giggle, you can buy Daikatana for $5, after we discussed it on last week’s podcast. ;)
- Finally in deals, while it’s not spacey yet, Matrix Games has launched weekly deals, so you know some of their space games will end up there eventually!
Then, in somewhat related news, some of the developers from the original Homeworld have launched their new RTS, Hardware: Shipbreakers, which sadly doesn’t appear to take place in space. Boo. Finally, SpaceSector has posted its latest list of the Kickstarters that made it and didn’t, which is a fun read.
That’s it for now folks. Have an awesome day!!
Hellloooo folks, and happy Friday! Sorry I missed news over the last couple of days, work totally got away from me. There’s a lot of goodness to go over, so let’s get to it and start the weekend right, shall we? :)
- StarDrive – StarDrive is alive! And by that, I mean it’s out of beta and finally in a release state on Steam…I hope. ;) It’s also 10% off until May 3rd. Stay tuned for my multi-part review soon…ish. ;)
- Star Citizen – Lots of news in this arena. First from the official site, news of their new office here in Los Angeles (yay!), part four of their writers guide is up, a look at Anvil Aerospace, an in-game news transcript on AI pilots has been released, and you can meet audio director Martin Galway (video embedded below). Elsewhere, Chris Roberts has been making the rounds, talking to The Escapist about Kickstarter and VGN24/7 on the game being on the Playstation 4.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a nice update on the new UI system.
- EVE Online – Lots of news from The Mittani, including a look from FanFest at the game’s economy as well as a word on ship rebalancing. They also have articles on cap ship rigs, another perspective on the burning of Jita as well as planetary interaction.
- Endless Space – The Amplitude folks are having a fighters and bombers archetype contest.
- Star Conflict – There’s some new art on the official site in the sectors and wallpapers sections.
- Star Trek Online – It’s Romulanrific over on the dev blog, with a look at Warbird singularity powers and new wallpapers of Romulan ships.
- Pytheas – First update in ages, and it’s about construction in their sandbox engine, which is pretty nifty from a technical perspective.
- Void of Darkness – There’s a new update on bartering in the game as well as a new IndieDB page for the game (though it appears broken as I write this).
- Deep Space Settlement – Speaking of IndieDB, news for this game is being moved to their IndieDB page as well.
- Space Empires IV – This game is now available on GoG for $9.99. I’d keep an eye out for a sale though, I’ve seen it as low as a dollar or two on other sites.
- And Here the Wheel – There’s a nice anecdotal update on how games programmed the dev’s brain. They also have a new podcast episode for your listening pleasure.
- Elite: Dangerous – There’s another dev update video which features David Braben in an AWESOME shirt. Seriously, I want one. The vid will be embedded below as well.
- Ring Runner – The box art has been released, and it’s sweeeeeeeet.
- Freeworlds – There’s a new update on their ModDB page about a refocusing of the project. Good, because I wanna play it NOW.
- SkyJacker – There’s an update on the starship constructor project on their Kickstarter, which looks awesome!
- AI War - There’s a new update entitled “Honored Bugs” that fixes some longstanding problems in the game.
- StarMade – There’s a new update that tweaks the AI.
- Expanse: First Contact – This appears to be a new game on Kickstarter which looks neat, so check it out.
And now, onto the deals, of which there are several, including:
- GamersGate is having a Stardock sale, which can net you Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition for $4.98, Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate for $9.98 and Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity for $9.98, among others.
- Gamefly is having a small strategy game sale that includes Endless Space – Admiral Edition for $14.99
- On IndieGameStand, they have Digital Eel’s Data Jammers: FastForward for $1, however if you pay a little more, you can get Strange Adventures in Infinite Space and Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space as bonuses as well. We just had these guys on the podcast, if you wanna learn more. They’re an awesome bunch though, so I say grab this if you don’t have the games already. It’s a freaking steal!
That’s it friends!! Have a great weekend, and may it be full of awesome gaming!
Hellooooo everyone, and welcome to Monday! I’m off today on account of getting a tooth removed, so I’m writing part of this before I leave for my little operation. I’ll write the rest when I get back, likely on drugs, to add to the entertainment. ;) Sorry for the lack of news later last week, the week totally got away from me. That said, let’s get into some newwwwwws bitches! ;)
- Homeworld – Gearbox has purchased the IP.
Apparently, according to PC Gamer (and other sources, but I saw it there first), someone — and we don’t know who yet — snagged the Homeworld IP in a recent auction of THQ’s assets. Sadly, it wasn’t to the teamPixel folks who’d been trying to hard to raise the funds. Hopefully it ended up in good hands, but we don’t know yet, sadly.
- Infinite Space 3 – There’s some new art and a combat video over on their Kickstarter page. We’re also gonna be interviewing some of the folks behind this game for this week’s podcast, so stay tuned! :)
- Void of Darkness – A couple of updated for your reading pleasure. First, a forum update, followed by a role-playing update, which is nifty.
- StarMade – There are some new server stability fixes and the fixing of a ghost bug.
- ScrumbleShip – According to the dev’s Kickstarter and IndieDB pages, there will be a new launcher for the game called ScrumbleGet. This I like.
- Ring Runner – According to a post on their Kicksarter, their lon-linear arch is nearly complete, which has me all aflutter, as I love non-linear anything. There’s also an interview with their Dryere brothers — the lead devs of the game — in The Leader, which is a good read (based on what I skimmed anyway). ;)
- EVE Online – Loooots of stuff recently. First, from the official site blogs, there’s news of a single sign in for account management, a spotlight on EVE Backstage, and info on the client and EULA modifications. Then from The Mittani, they have articles on the burning of Jita, the death of Aeon, ten years of GARPA and an epic brawl in Ardia which resulted in the loss of ten capital ships.
- Star Rift – Thanks to Goomich over on Steam for letting me know about this new game on Greenlight. It looks like a first/third-person space combat/trading game, and you can learn more from the official site or from the trailer, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- Star Trek Online – There are dev blogs on Romulan ship progression and a revamp to the UI, as well as a video showing off a Legacy Pack, which I’ll embed below.
- Icarus Ascends – The dev for this game came onto our forum to let us know about this game, which looks pretty cool. Go check it out! I’ll embed the video below.
- Escaping Titan – Congrats to the team on their super successful Kickstarter, which brought in over 300% of its goal.
- Infinity – Rock, Paper Shotgun has a nice article summimg up where the game is now after all this time.
- Beyond Beyaan – There are two posts covering UI and data in the game.
- StarDrive – According to a post on RTS Guru, the game will be available this Friday, April 26th. They also have a preview to boot. I’m working on my own preview too, so please stay tuned. :)
- Star Conflict – The latest update to the game brings along sector conquests with it. Nifty!
- Vendetta Online – The game has now been officially released for the iPad! One more reason I wanna get one someday! ;)
- Star Citizen – Part three of the Writer’s Guide is now up, and you can also watch a video with team member Adam Poole, which I’ll also embed below.
But wait, there’s more, we also have some deals to gawk at!!
- GamersGate has Endless Space: The Emperor Edition for $17.48 and Galaxy on Fire II HD for $6, which is a steal.
- You can get an EVE Online 30-Day Starter Pack on Green Man Gaming for $4.99
- The latest Indie Royale bundle has Dawnstar amongst its games for $5.31 as the current minimum.
- Finally, the current Indie Gala bundle has both Gimbal and Mass Effect 2 for the minimum of $5.23 as I write this.
Finally, the dev of Lex Laser Saves the Galaxy, Again asked me to pimp his game on Kickstarter, so here ya go, and you can see some lovely concept ship art by Philipp Erkinger at the Concept Ships blog.
That’s it folks, now I’m gonna go crawl into a ball and hope this pain goes away soon. ;) Have a great day!
Hey folks, happy Monday! I hope y’all had a superb weekend! There’s a TON of stuff to get through today, so we’re not gonna dilly dally, rather we’ll just get right through it:
- Endless Space – Lots of news for this one today! First, the Virtual Awakening add-on has been released, followed by the news they’ve sold 300,000 units! Wow! Then, the folks at iGameRadio have an audio review of the Mac version of the game, and finally it’s on sale on Steam as one of their week long sales.
- StarDrive – Plenty for this one too. We have previews from Space Sector and Out of Eight, as well as well as the first part of a Let’s Play video series from legendary Let’s Play creator Das24680. All videos will be embedded below, including these. Stay tuned for my preview also, which I hope to have by the end of this week or early next. ;)
- Void of Darkness – First, on our forum, the lead developer is looking for some help alpha testing the game. Then, on the game’s official site, there are some various updates concerning the game’s progress.
- Limit Theory – Josh has posted his latest update summary on the game’s forums.
- Angular Velocity – Sadly these guys lost their update server, but according to this update it’s all being sorted out.
- StarLife – We now get to find out more about the ominous Empire in the game. I wouldn’t wanna run into one in a dark alley…
- EVE Online – The official site has a new cover story that’s lengthy but looks neat based on my skimming. The Mittani have their usual slew of awesome articles, this time covering EFT tanking and the destruction of the NCDOT carrier fleet at their own hand. Wow.
- Star Citizen – Polygon has an interview with Chris Roberts about the Occulus Rift and other fun stuff. The official site has a general update with news on a new avatar, new forum and other coolness.
- Imperium Galactica Stargazer – There’s a new forum on their site with a small Q&A for y’all to read which hopefully answers some common questions about the new game.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new post on their Kickstarter discussing a new Sage’s Challenge, pendants and more!
- Retrobooster – There’s a new blog update with a video showing off a refinement of conveyor beams, among other nifty things. The demo to this was fun, by the way. ;)
- OreSome – There’s a new blog post on IndieDB discussing the possibilities surrounding multiplayer.
- Vendetta Online – There’s a new update which basically includes a ton of little fixes.
Now, onto deals! There are a few besides the Endless Space one above. Here goes!
- Galaxy on Fire II HD is going for $6.80 as Steam’s daily deal today. TOTALLY worth it.
- Gratuituous Space Battles Complete Pack — which doesn’t appear to includes the latest DLC, but EVERYTHING else — is $5.25 on GamersGate. That’s a freaking steal.
Finally, in related news, a gentleman named Joseph Ybarra — who was one of the co-founders of EA and helped produce Starflight, Alien Legacy and other spacey games — has a new planet colonization game on Kickstarter called Shackleton Crater that y’all should take a gander at.
That’s it folks! Have an awesome day!
Hey folks, happy Wednesday! Sorry for the severe delay in, well, nearly everything, but I’ve had a HELLUVA week. I was out of town most of the weekend and had to put in several extra hours at work so I could take some time off today, but it’s all for a good reason. ;) Now I’m back in town and kinda rested up, and there’s a TON of news to go through, so let’s get to it…
- Star Citizen – There’s an update on the Clean Shot Shipping saga, a screenshot of a base head (no, really), and a video showcasing Sandi Gardiner Cloud Imperium’s VP of Marketing, which I’ll embed below the cut.
- Rogue System – There’s a new video showing off clips of combat and discussing the AI which will be embedded below. There are also updates on his Kickstarter talking about core ship systems and a new $150 tier.
- Homeworld – The teamPixel folks have no also launched a Kickstarter for their Homeworld Touch and Homeworld 3 pitches, and have video of the Touch version in action that I’ll embed below.
- Endless Space – According to their latest dev blog, the Virtual Awakening add-on will be released on March 11th. The post also has some other tibits about the expansion as well. There are also posts on new exploration events and new victory warnings.
- NASA Game Jam – According to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, the folks at NASA are a hosting a game jam this coming weekend to make games about space and science! Can’t wait to see what comes out of it. :)
- Drox Operative – There’s a new beta batch that alters Shadow cloaking, fixes bombs and other little fixes. There’s also a new review on Gaming Trend.
- Ring Runner – Sadly they didn’t win The Next Game Boss, but lead programmer Enrique Dryere thanks us for our support. There’s also a new video showing off ship customization which looks REALLY helpful to someone like me. ;) There’s also a video of an exclusive multiplayer reveal on MaskedGamer and one of the space city alpha build. These will all be embedded below. Finally there’s a preview of the game over on Indie Statik.
- Space Rangers HD – Thanks for Puce Moose on Gamers with Job for translating a Russian Tweet from the devs stating the release date for the game will be March 15th! Yay!
- Void of Darkness - There’s a new dev blog post on interface and combat notes. They also have a new combat test video, which I’ll embed below.
- Starsector – Eurogamer has a nice little preview of the game.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has a great article on revisiting bounty hunting one about loving faction war and one about music to play in the game. There’s also a new video showcasing the massive Battle of Asakai, which I’ll embed below.
- Star Conflict – The Mittani also has a review of this game, which I should actually play some more.
- AI War – The latest patch, called “Nemesis of the Dubious Honor“, deals with champion AI and other things.
- StarLife – There are new posts showcasing some music, diplomacy and a custom race screen.
- Strike Suit Zero – As I said in the most recent podcast, Born Ready Games released a massive patch that adds checkpoint saves, difficulty settings, a cockpit view and revises the targeting. I might actually play this again. ;)
- Kinetic Void – There’s a new update on their Kickstarter page showing off some of the game’s new art, which looks lovely. There’s also a development update I somehow missed. :/ Sorry folks.
- Space Explorer – The owner of the SolCommand site let us know that a user named “Leocesar” is working on a new game, which looks awesomely Homeworldesque, and you can see a video of it after the cut. ;) You can read about it also on the Unity forums. They also have some new models to be used in your upcoming space games. ;)
- StarMade – There’s a new blog post on IndieDB about preloading surrounding sectors, which sounds like an awesome idea.
- Starflight II – The CRPG Addict has begun his extensive look at the game, which I can’t wait to see more of.
- FreeOrion – Thanks to Free Gamer for letting us know that a new version of FreeOrion has recently been released, which improves the AI, includes many GUI enhancements and so on. There are also some YouTube vids showing off the game, the playlist to which I’ll embed below.
- Dominion – There’s a new piece of concept art on their website.
- Kerbal Space Program - There’s a new fan video showing us the story of Kerballo 13. ;) It’ll also be embedded below.
And you thought we were done?! HAH! We still have some deals to go over! These include:
- Miner Wars 2081 can be snagged in the latest Indie Gala bundle.
- Beat Hazard Ultra can be snagged in the latest Humble Bundle.
- Armada 2526 can be snagged in the latest bundle from Bundle Stars.
ALMOST THERE. You can now but an unofficial Serenity LEGO set, which looks amazing. FINALLY, there’s an amazing article by John Shafer about how diplomacy works in his 4X game that I’d LOVE to see adapted to space 4X games.
THAT’S it. I need a drink. Or several. *collapse*
Hey y’all, I know typically I’d include stuff like this in the daily news bits, but I was very kindly asked to push this, and the guys behind this game are so damned nice I couldn’t refuse. :) Ring Runner has advanced to the semi-finals of The Next Game Boss (yay for them!), and I’m encouraging y’all to go and VOTE FOR ‘EM so they can win, because they totally deserve it. There’s a download link on the voting page so y’all can try the game. Voting takes place from NOW to March 2nd, so go go go and vote! :) Thanks guys!