So over on the Matrix Games forums, Director of Product Development and Business Relations for Matrix, Erik Rutins, finally gave some info on the next Distant Worlds expansion, subtitled Shadow. The post is a bit spoilery, so I’m gonna paste it beneath a cut, but you can also head over to the forum thread to read more. YAY! SO EXCITED!
Hey y’all, happy Tuesday! I hope all of our friends on the east coast of the US are okay, and that everyone affected by hurricane Sandy recovers quickly and easily. I dunno how to segue into gaming news after that, so I’ll just jump right in:
- The Star Citizen Kickstarter reached $750,000 last night, so every backer gets a AMX-1 Repair Droid in their garage. Nifty! I also forgot to post the second part of Rock, Paper Shotgun’s interview with Chris Roberts the other day, sorries. The official site also has new entries in the Cassandra’s Tears and Tales of the Crimson Kid stories.
- The Strike Suit Zero Kickstarter campaign now has a community Q&A video. I’d embed it, but it’s one of them Kickstarter vids, sorry. They’ve also announced you can customize your rewards as well, if you wish.
- The folks at Amplitude Studios have a new dev blog which gives a quick Halloween update regarding their second add-on for Endless Space.
- There’s a new “Fortress-size It” beta update for AI War which “greatly expands the module variety available to modular fortress owners in champion games”.
- Finally, in news, an EVE Online dev blog has announced the expansion of the buddy program, which looks pretty cool.
Now, we have a buncha sales today too!
- First off, Steam is having a Halloween Sale which includes a ton of games, most notably to us, the fantastic Space Pirates and Zombies for $2.49.
- Then, Green Man Gaming is having a Aliens & Space Promo, which includes the following spacey deals:
- Space Empires IV Deluxe for $4.99
- Starpoint Gemini for $9.99
- Gemini Wars for $15.99
- O.R.B.: Off-World Resource Base for $4.99
- Space Empires: Starfury for $4.99
- Space Pirates and Zombies for $3.73 (cheaper on Steam, I know, but I wanted to mention it anyway)
- Galaxy on Fire II HD for $9.99 (GREAT deal on a great game)
- Star Ruler for $5.99
- Stellar Impact for $4.99 (can’t recommend this one, but I wanted to mention it regardless)
- Armada 2526 Gold for $7.99
- SOL: Exodus Collector’s Edition for $5.99 (which is a pretty good value)
- Finally, the Stardock folks mentioned that Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity is on sale at a few retailers, but so far I can only find it on Gamestop for $4.98.
And finally, in non-spacey game news, the Concept Ships blog has a lovely spaceship painting by MANCHU.
That’s it for today folks, have a great day, and stay safe!
Hey y’all! I typically would say “happy Monday” here, but with a massive storm barrelling down on the east coast of the US here, I can only send my thoughts out to those affected. Stay safe people, and good luck weathering the worst of it, which is supposed to hit around now, actually. Ugh.
I have to keep on doin’ what I do though, and there’s a buncha stuff in spacey game news to discuss, so let’s get through it:
- The Kickstarter for Star Citizen had an update this weekend talking about their new stretch goals, which you can red about here (though their site appears to be down as I write this).
- The M.O.R.E. Kickstarter campaign had several updates this weekend, and was ultimately successfully funded! Yay, congrats to them!! They also had a video in there, which I’ll be embedding after the cut.
- The Ring Runner Kickstarter campaign announced they reached their first stretch goal of space cities. They also have a new demo which includes plex power ups, among other things.
- Remember the Kickstarter for FleetCOMM : Operation Vigrior? Welp, they’ve launched another one with a video to boot, and they explain why here.
- In our final piece of Kickstarter related news, sadly the Nexus 2 Kickstarter wasn’t fully funded in the end. Again. Sigh.
- The folks at Topware sent out a press release stating that the launch of Iron Sky: Earth Defense has been pushed back to November 22nd.
- Over on the Beyond Beyaan blog, Brent has a blog post reminiscing about the development of the game.
- Ensign-1 has been updated to include explorable gravity wells! Cool!
- Finally, Vendetta Online has a new update which includes new rocket explosions, Android controller support and more.
That’s it for today folks. Have a great day, and again those in the path of Hurricane Sandy, best of luck to you all!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey Newsiness – 10/29/12” »
So y’all might recall that my last bout with Rules of Engagement 2 was something less than a success, so watch as I return to claim vengeance upon my enemies, armed with new tactics and ideas! Also watch me curse a bit and whine like a little girl. ;) Enjoy!!
Hey y’all, happy Friday! The weekend is here, yay, and let me tell you, I plan to play a goodly amount of games to make up for the disasterbasket that was last weekend. As for newsies and dealsies, let’s jump in the deep end, shall we?
- The folks at Rock, Paper Shotgun have a VERY long interview with Chris Roberts regarding Star Citizen. I’ve not read it yet — SO LONG — but I’ve skimmed it, and it looks very cool. ;)
- Over on Kickstarter, the Strike Suit Zero folks have announced they’ve reached $75,000 in pledges so far ($79,000 as I write this) along wth a new stretch goal for Mac and Linux versions of the game at $180,000.
- In Eve Online stuff, they have news of an upcoming frigate free-for-all, as well as a new dev blog regarding new destroyers and ship balancing, with a video as well that I’ll embed after the cut.
- Space Sector has a new Indie Stellar Venture article regarding a new 4X (or 5X for eXperience?) game entitled Star Czar which looks pretty cool.
- On TwitchTV, they have multiplayer footage from a test run of 0x10c from Notch, the game’s creator. I’ll also try to embed it after the cut.
- There’s also a new movie on the Drox Operative site made for the IGF, which I’ll also embed after the cut. There’s also a new patch available with new UI elements and bug fixes.
- Finally for news, there are updates for Void Destroyer, Star Conflict and AI War.
In deals news, the folks at DotEmu are having some kinda odd Strategy First sale thingy, but it has spacey games, including:
- Space Empires: Starfury for $4
- Space Empires 4 for $4
- Darkstar One for $4, and
- O.R.B.: Off-World Resource Base for $4
That’s it for today folks! Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Hey y’all, happy Thursday! There’s a lot to cover today, so I’m just gonna jump right in:
- First off, early this morning, Star Citizen reached its funding goal of $2 million from combined on-site and Kickstarter crowdfunding campaigns. There’s a note from Chris Roberts himself on Kickstarter discussing the milestone of Kickstarter reaching its funding goal so quickly, as well. Finally, they have a new document outlining the specific ships, which is a cool read.
- Over on the Strike Suit Zero Kickstarter, they have a new video showing dialogue being recorded for the game.
- Finally, the Bonus Damagecast podcast has some interviews from IndieCade 2012, including the FTL devs.
Yeah, that’s it for news. I know, right? But wait, there’s more. This next section outlines some new spacey games I found on Kickstarter, so while not “news”, technically, I’m including it to raise awareness for ‘em. These include:
- Mercenary Dark – A “space action/RPG” with 26 days left at less than 1% funded.
- Mobile Bridge Project – Not a space game itself, but a mobile bridge built for use with the Artemis bridge sim. 14 days left, less than 1% funded.
- Exodus: Grand Melee – A “4x space mmorts mech combat and empire building simulation game”. That’s certainly a mouthful. 30 days left, well less than 1% funded.
Next, we have a buncha deals today too:
- The Free Taskforce, Flatspace IIk and Outliner Bundle includes the spacey game Flatspace IIk and a couple of others for just the price of the first game, $24.
- GamersGate has a smattering of spacey game deals. This includes:
- Endless Space: Admiral Edition for $20.09
- Endless Space: Emperors Edition for $23.42
- AI War Alien Bundle for $4.25
- Gemini Wars for $19.98. This matches a deal on their official site in celebration for their big upcoming update.
- AI War: Fleet Command 6.0 for $2.50
- AI War Ancient Shadows for $4.49
- AI War: Children of Neinzul for $0.50
- AI War Light Of The Spire for $1.25
- AI War: The Zenith Remnant for $1.25
- AI War / Zenith Remnant Pack for $5.98
That’s it for today y’all, have an awesome one!
Edit: Alright, the questions have been sent, I chose which I thought would get the deepest answers, so please don’t be upset if I didn’t choose yours. :) Thanks!
So today the PR person helping with Star Citizen sent out an announcement regarding the Kickstarter campaign passing their goal, and in that email, he said he could facilitate an interview if desired.
An interview. With Chris Roberts. Creator of one of the greatest gaming series of all time (yeah, I said it).
So what happens when I read that? My brain seizes up. I can’t even THINK of asking anything because I’m honestly so damned starstruck. The first time I met people I’m a huge fan of, such as George Takei or Nathan Fillion, I was a blithering idiot that could barely string a word together. I don’t want that to happen again.
So I need your help. They’ve agreed to an interview if I get questions from my readers, so guys, this is your chance to ask a question of a gaming legend. If you have a good, relevant question for Chris Roberts, please leave it in the comments below. I’ll pick a few of the best and send them over.
Please, wonderful readers, you’re my only hope. ;)
Haaaayyyy y’all, happy hump day! I hope y’all are having a lovely day so far, and to add to that, here’s some spacey news stuffness for y’all to enjoy!
- There are two big news stories of the day, as far as I’m concerned. The first big news is that the Star Citizen Kickstarter blew past is $500,000 funding goal in just six days! Congrats to them!! In related news, Massively has an interview with Chris Roberts regarding boarding, customization and so on, and the official site has a new NewsOrg story.
- The OTHER big news story, in my opinion, is that the Freespace 2 Open folks over on Hard Light have released the latest version of their enhancements, version 3.6.14! YAY!! This adds a whole host of improvements, so go on and update your copy of Freespace 2! ;)
- The Strike Suit Zero folks have released a new Kickstarter update trying to clarify what’s in each of their reward tiers.
- Over on the FleetCOMM : Operation VigriorKickstarter, they’ve announced that they’re going to be updating their builds daily for the IGF submission process, and you can download the latest version of the game by clicking the link on the Kickstarter page each day.
- Also on Kickstarter, the folks behind Ring Runner have released a new demo! This one adds a new research feature, as well as new equipment and abilities. I got a chance to finally sit down and try it out for a few minutes last night, and I had a great time. Really fast and furious combat. :)
- Also on Kickstarter — yeeesh, they should have their own news aggregation service for these updates. RSS feeds at least! C’mon! ;) — Dirkson of ScrumbleShip has begun sending out keys for the beta of the game. I totally got mine, and also tried it out last night. I was a bit confused, but it looks like it has a lot of potential. ;)
- Finally, according to a press release, the Kickstarter for Divine Space – which isn’t on PC/Mac yet but will if their funding is successful — have reached 10% of their funding goal with 29 days left. Good luck to ‘em! :)
- On the EVE Online news page, they’ve announced they’re taking signups for the New Eden $10,000 tournament.
- Over on Space Sector, Adam has an interview with the developer of M.O.R.E. which is a great read.
- Finally, in sadder news, according to an article on Rock, Paper Shotgun, the folks behind Battlestar Galactica Online, Bigpoint, has laid off 120 people, and I hope they all find jobs soon.
That’s it for today! Have a wonderful day y’all!
Hey y’all, welcome to Tuesday! I hope this week’s been treating you well. There’s a good chunk of spacey game news today, so let’s get right to it:
- In Strike Suit Zero news, on their Kickstarter page they’ve announced a new award tier that gets you a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. Also, PC Gamer has a great writeup on the game.
- In 0x10c news, they’ve announced Mac support on their official website, and have a new video up teasing multiplayer combat on their Facebook page (which I’ll embed after the cut).
- Over on Soundcloud, you can listen to a sample of the Ring Runner soundtrack, which sounds pretty cool so far. :)
- Over on the Star Conflict site, they’ve launched a contest wherein you can win in-game currency for writing a story relating to yesterday’s log entry.
- Over on the Kickstarter for M.O.R.E., they have a new entry talking about new add-ons for existing tiers.
- Also on Kickstarter, the Star Citizen folks invite you to get to know one of their own, Martin Galway. They’re also really close to meeting their funding goal! Yay!
- The Nexus 2 Kickstarter — sadly nowhere near meeting their funding goal with only 4 days left — has a list of new interviews up.
- In our final piece of Kickstarter news, the ScrumleShip campaign announced that keys will be going out soon, and laid out where the funding is going.
- In update news, both Lunar Flight and AI War have been updated.
That’s it for today folks. I hope y’all have a great one!
Hey y’all, how y’all doin’? Still feeling tired and weak my own self, but my hunger has returned and I was able to get some sleep last night, so yay! I THINK I have enough energy to do the news, but if I meander off in the middle, please understand. ;) Now let’s do this thing called news:
- Total Biscuit has put up a new video talking to the devs of Nexus 2. I’ve only watched a bit of it, but it’s pretty good so far! I’ll also embed it after the cut.
- In Star Citizen news, there’s supposed to be an AMA with Chris Roberts over on Reddit, but as of right now Reddit is down, so keep trying to see if y’all can get to it once it goes back up. On the official site, in their new Spectrum Dispatch section, you’ll find the first entries of the Cassandra’s Tears and Tales of the Crimson Kid short stories. Finally, on Kickstarter, you’ll find updates showing the GDC teaser (which I’ll embed after the cut) and a post about how physics isn’t a dirty word. Whew!
- According to the Eve Online news page, Inferno 1.3.2 will go live tomorrow, and you can read the patch notes here.
- Over on Kickstarter, the Ring Runner folks have a video of their upcoming space cities, which I sadly can’t embed since it’s a video on actual Kickstarter, not YouTube or the like. (Edit: Thanks to Archon, who’s made me aware that this video is on YouTube, and I’ll now embed it below).
- In more Strike Suit Zero news, on Kickstarter, they’ve announced that they’re halfway to their goal (yay, congrats guys) and that modding tools will be a stretch goal if they reach $130,000.
- Finally on Kickstarter, the M.O.R.E. campaign has an update on ship sizes, including a YouTube video which I’ll embed below.
- Over on GOG, they have an article about mods for FTL, which look pretty cool.
- The Star Conflict website has been updated with a log entry concerning the game. It’s got audio, which appears to be in Russian, but the text is in English.
- Vendetta Online has been updated to version 1.8.232, which includes new visual effects for rocket explosions, among other things.
- Finally, the Star Life website has been updated with some word on Mac and Linux versions.
To close up today’s entry, in non-spacey game news, Gratuitous Tank Battles – the game from the same feller who brought us Gratuitous Space Battles – is getting an expansion called The Western Front.
That’s it for today folks! I hope y’all have a great one, and thanks for visiting!