It Just Keeps Stacking Up…
Hey folks, how are y’all! I hope y’all are having a fabulous day! I’m still half asleep my own self, but I’m getting by. Thankfully I have some time and energy to do news today, so let’s hop to it:
- Star Citizen – Later today, at 6:30 PM Central Time, there will be a livestream of Citizen Con from Austin, Texas, in which Chris Roberts and his team will lay out what’s been done for the game and what’s coming next. I hope they archive it because I’ll be in my car at that point. ;)
- Space Rangers HD – The release date for this exciting new installment in the beloved Space Rangers series is due next week, on 10/17, and you can read all about it on Blue’s since I can’t link to the actual press release on Games Press (which is behind a login wall). Can’t wait!
- Elite: Dangerous – According to a story on Develop, this game will be getting Oculus Rift support! Man I’m gonna need to get me one of these…
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – The devs have added a new $40 reward tier that gets you an art book and the opportunity to name a random galaxy.
- The Mandate – Via a Kickstarter update, the devs have created a page on the dynamics of crewmanship and a page on the game’s music. They also now have forums for you to use.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new dev blog detailing some features in the latest version of the game such as an improved H.U.D. and matchmaking balancing. The game will also be streamed on DigestNet tomorrow at 21:00 Moscow time.
- Wayward: Terran Frontier – The official site has a teensy tiny little status update.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new patch on the way, and you can read all about it on their Facebook page.
- X Rebirth – Now on Steam, you can order the collector’s edition of the game along with the regular version. The collector’s edition includes two soundtracks, and video and other bonuses.
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager – There’s a beefy dev update on the Matrix forums with lots of awesome info.
- Wing Commander – The Concordia Hangar that Howard Day has been working on now also has a Sabre fighter. It’s pretty awesome, so check it out!
- Star Trek Online – There’s another dev blog on the Avenger-class cruiser, which is now for sale apparently.
- EVE Online – CCP is now offering their own new player training sessions, which is damned awesome of them. The Mittani also has word of FIVE supercarriers going down within a couple of days. Craaaaaaazy.
- Escaping Titan – The Broken Crown folks have a new website, go check it out!
- Star Strike – This wasn’t a computer game, per se, but Old Game Magazines has an awesome old ad for it nonetheless.
Now there is one deal today. StarDrive is Steam’s daily deal, going for $10.19. While many, including myself, feel the game is still incomplete, the developer apparently feels it can “can stand on its own two legs” according to this interview, and is already eying moving onto another game in the series, so whether this is a deal is up to you. ;)
That’s it for today folks, have a good one!
buzz aldrin's space program manager, elite: dangerous, escaping titan, eve online, PULSAR: Lost Colony, Ring Runner, Space Rangers HD, star citizen, Star Conflict, Star Strike, star trek online, stardrive, The Mandate, wayward terran frontier, wing commander, x rebirth
Save Your Moneys!
Hey guys! I’m still chipping away at that massive news post I keep promising with now about three weeks of news (around 150 items currently) backlogged, but some sales hit today that I wanted to make y’all aware of. First, Amazon is having a massive Last Summer Deals sale which includes some spacey goodness such as:
Steam is also having an unexpected sale, this time to celebrate one year of Steam Greenlight. Spacey game deals include:
If someone was to ask me what the best deals here were, I’d say X3: Gold in the Amazon sale (since it also includes Alnion Prelude, which is pretty decent) and Ring Runner. On Steam, though there’s not much of a game there yet, Kinetic Void has a ton of potential, so it’s a small price to pay for what hopefully will be a great game. Enjoy!
Edit: This just dropped as I wrote this post, but there’s a massive Paradox Humble Weekly Bundle that, white at its base doesn’t include any space games, if you pay $125 you get nearly fifty Paradox games which includes Sword of the Stars II. I’ll likely get the smaller bundle just for the soundtracks alone my own self, but wow, overall that’s a damned fine deal.
Armada 2526, Armada 2526 Supernova, Dark Star One, galactic dream, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, kinetic void, miner wars 2081, o.r.b., Ring Runner, Space Empires 5, star ruler, stardrive, stellar impact, Sword of the Stars II, x3 albion prelude, x3 reunion, x3 terran conflict, X: Beyond the Frontier
Heeeeeeeyyyyy folks, how are ya? Welcome to this latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I don’t have a guest (MUAHAHAHAHAH!), so we talk about 4X games, my fascination, and Jim’s current fatigue with ‘em. We also talk news and a few other things, but we’re surprisingly more on-point than we usually are without a guest. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we look forward to your comments below, invite you to subscribe to us through RSS or iTunes, and thank you so much for listening. Enjoy!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #24: 4X Fatigue, Fascination & Frivolity” »
Ascendancy, Battlestar Galactica Online, Cosmic Balance, distant worlds, elite: dangerous, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, Eterium, eve online, galactic civilizations, Gazillionaire, Imperium Galacica, Imperium Galactum, Jumpgate, master of orion, pax imperia, quintet, Reach for the Stars, sins of a solar empire, Spaceward Ho!, star citizen, Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander, Star General, Star Wars: Rebellion, stardrive, Trade Wars, VGA Planets, X: Beyond the Frontier
Such a Pretty, Busy Galaxy…
Helllooo friends, and welcome to another awesome (we like to think) episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I sit down with Matrix Games Director of Product Development and Business Relations, Erik Rutins and Code Force founder and Distant Worlds creator/lead developer, Elliott Gibbs to talk (or in my case, gush) about Distant Worlds, as well as some businessy talk about Matrix Games too. It all made for a lively and spirited discussion, and we all hope you enjoy it. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we welcome your comments below and invite you to subscribe to us through RSS or iTunes. Thanks for listening, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #21: Down and Dirty with Distant Worlds” »
This Episode Makes About as Much Sense as This Picture.
Hello folks, and welcome to episode 19 of the Space Game Junkie podcast! This week, Jim and I have no guest, and you know what thaaaaat meannnnns. WE TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING. Well, almost everything, both on and off topic, and we kinda have a topic, but we skim it because I’m neither prepared nor intelligent enough to discuss it at length. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, please throw your thoughts our way, as we love to hear them, and thanks so much for listening! Enjoy!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #19: Random Rambly Bits of Randomness, and Physics!” »
elite, endless space, freelancer, freespace 2, Frontier: Elite II, Galactose, Independence War, independence war 2, Jumpgate, retrobooster, Ring Runner, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, stardrive, starflight, Void Destroyer, void of darkness
Freaking Yay! News!
Hellllooooo friends, and happy Friday! What a freaking WEEK this has been, so busy and full of stuff, yet I am so, SO thrilled its over. I’ll likely not get any gaming time this weekend since I’ll be in San Diego for a Transformers convention (yeah, I’m one of THOSE people ;), but I’ve gotten some good gaming in lately, what about you guys? We have some fun news and deals to finish off the week, so let’s dive in!
- Star Citizen – There’s a live stream thingy going on RIGHT NOW, and as part of that, they’ve revealed new stretch goals, a new Avenger fighter and a new website! If you have an account on the site, head over there ASAP to migrate your account from the old site to the new one. Man, the 300i is still for sale. Speaking of ships, each one costs $35,000 or more to produce, according VGN24/7. Wheeee!
- Ring Runner – According to a press release, the game will be available finally on July 9th! Yay! If you’ve don’t know why I’m excited, check out our podcast with the lead dev. :)
- Retrobooster – Terry, the lead programmer, wrote in to mention that tomorrow there’s going to be this day-long thingy called The Greenlight Supershow which showcases several games that are on greenlight including this one, Syder Arcade and GoD Factory: Wingmen. Check it out if you can, Retrobooster will be on at 10:30 PM, Syder Arcade will be on at 11:30 AM, and GoD Factory: Wingmen will be on at 5:30 PM, all Eastern time. If I was gonna be at home tomorrow, I’d totally tune in, but alas…
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – Speaking of this game, the Penny Arcade Report has an article looking at the dev team behind the game.
- Outer Wilds – Thanks to Therlun over on Broken Forum for the lead on this one. It looks like a space exploration game, but the twist is that the universe resets every 20 minutes except for your character. Love that, so I have to try it, as do you all, since y’all can download it. ;)
- Enemy Starfighter – New update, yay! This one includes some screenshots of the game’s terrain generator. Waaaaant.
- Dominium – Their blog has a lengthy post on weapons which looks like a great read.
- Star Trek Online – The latest Summer Event is now live, and focuses on the newly-released Risian resort island. Man, Risa is always trouble, I’d stay away…
- Galactose – Seems like they took our advice and posted an update! This time we get to see new art! Yay!
- Freespace Open – The folks at Hard Light are having a modding contest, and they’ve now opened it to first-time modders, so go check it out!
That’s not all folks, we have some deals on Steam today, which include:
- Space Pirates and Zombies can be played for FREE this weekend on Steam, and is freaking 80% off at only $1.99. If you’ve not played this gem of a game, GO AND DO SO NOW.
- Endless Space is having a weekend deal in Steam, and you can get the base game for $10.19 and with the new Disharmony expansion for $17.49.
- StarDrive is the daily deal on Steam today, and you can get it for 50% off at $14.99.
In related news, Space Sector has an article on the technology behind making a 4X game. Then, Brent of Beyond Beyaan fame wrote in to let us know thats some folks at American Southern University have launched the “Save Atari” project which strives to raise money through IndieGoGo to acquire the various properties on sale from Atari through it’s bankruptcy proceedings. It’ll be interesting to keep an eye on this one.
Finally, in kinda-related stuff, the dev behind the Race to Mars Kickstarter wrote in and asked me to help pimp their project, so there ya go. ;)
That’s it folks. Have an awesome weekend! :)
beyond beyaan, Dominium, endless space, enemy starfighter, freespace open, GoD Factory: Wingmen, Outer Wilds, retrobooster, Ring Runner, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, star trek online, stardrive, syder arcade
Drowning Under the Tide of News…
Hellloooooo everyone, and happy Friday! This was a really nutty week for me, hence the lack of news until today! I’ve got a WEEK’S worth of stuff to get through, so let’s DO THIS! ;)
(Sorry if the news pieces appear a bit disjointed, I had to go through between seventy to eighty news pieces out of order ;)
- Distant Worlds: Shadows – The game came out yesterday, and there’s already a new patch to fix some crashing problems that users have found since release. Das24680 also has five new videos of the game showing off more gameplay. Youtube user Pewpewchewchew also has a Let’s Play video of his own. These will all be embedded below.
- SkyJacker – There’s some new photos over on their facebook showing off the disassembly of a Shaarkarians mothership. They also have dissasembly videos of a Shaarkarians mothership, a Rak-Tak-Bashogee battleship and a Rak-Tak-Bashogee cruiser.
- Star Citizen – We have some new wallpapers showing off the planet Tyrol, part 8 of the writer’s guide, a Congress Now news update, a sneak peak at the hanger module and an interview with network and server programmer Tom Sawyer (embedded below as well). They also just announced an upcoming livingstreaming event in late June. Finally, Forbes did a video interview with Chris Roberts, which is also embedded below.
- Retrobooster – The developer recorded a video demo for the folks at IGN, which I can’t embed. The demo is a ton of fun, by the by. ;)
- Kerbal Space Program – Version 0.20 of the game has been released and adds things like chairs and other parts! Yay chairs! ;) There’s also a new merchandise store! I want a mug.
- Elite: Dangerous – There’s a new fiction diary entry over on their Kickstarter, and the video will be embedded below. Thanks to Wild Bill for the tip!
- Drox Operative – In the midst of making an expansion, Steven has released a beta patch for the game. This new patch has a ton of little fixes.
- Star Trek Online – The new Legacy of Romulus expansion went live yesterday! Yay! There’s also a dev blog on Dilithium 101.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has word of a super-cap and dreadnaught battle in Venal and a brawl in Delve, both of which sound expensive. There’s also a video and interview regarding Campigenus, a twenty-four minute fan movie you can see here (and embedded below), and a report of the battle of T-8UOF.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch that adds a practice mode and a new sector, among other things.
- AI War – A new patch entitled, “Tumbleweeds In The Stars“, adds a new minor faction in preparation for the next expansion, Vengeance of the Machine.
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – Thanks to IndieGames.com for making me aware of this multiplayer battle arena space game that just launched a Kickstarter. Looks nifty.
- Starlight Inception – There’s a new Kickstarter update showing off how the game is coming along, as well as a new teaser trailer, which will be embedded below.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new version of the game that adds awards and medals, jackets, new console commands and more.
- Aeon Command – Part 2 of the dev’s post mortem is now up.
- Lunar Flight – The multiplayer update — which includes a ton of stuff — is now up on Steam. I totally need to revisit this game.
- Strike Suit Zero – The mod dev tool called XedMod is now available, as well as some mods for the game. I can’t embed the video, however. :/ The Heroes of the Fleet DLC is also out now.
- 90Edges Universe – I was contacted by the dev of this project to let me know it exists. :) (I LOVE that, by the way.) It’s very early right now, but it looks like a neat open universey buildy thing. Check it out.
- Limit Theory – There’s a new dev post every day on their forums, if you’ve not checked it out recently.
- Infinite Pixels – There’s a new alpha trailer over on their IndieDB page, which I’ll also be embedded below. There are also posts on planets and co-op gameplay.
- Star Made – There’s been so much new news since my last update, including a new webserver, several new builds and more, that I’ll just direct you to their news page if you don’t mind. ;)
- Dominium – There’s a new video on their Kickstarter showing off some combat that sadly I can’t embed. It looks fun though. :)
- Void Space – I found this Kickstarter about a space mining simulator? Space AND mining? I love both of those things! Sold! (Maybe, if he updates his campaign at all, which he hasn’t yet, and that is a pet peeve of mine. TALK TO US DAMN YOU! ;)
- StarDrive – Some more reviews from CalmDownTom, Pure News and DMJared on YouTube. (Embedded below).
OH MY GOD that was a lot. But wait, we also have DEALS! Besides the two mentioned yesterday, we also have the following:
FINALLY, we’re done. That took FOREVER to put together, but I love y’all, so y’all are worth it. ;) Have a great weekend!
Videos Right This Way!
90Edges Universe, Aeon Command, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, epic space game, eve online, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gemini wars, GoD Factory: Wingmen, gratuitous space battles, Infinite Pixels, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, Lunar Flight, retrobooster, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, space pirates and zombies, Spaceforce: Rogue Universe, star citizen, Star Conflict, star made, star ruler, star trek online, stardrive, starlight inception, strike suit zero, Void Space, x3 reunion, zigfrak
So Close, Yet So Far…
Hey guys, welcome to my weekly op-ed column that I’m calling “Spacing Out” (the name was a joint effort between my girlfriend and I ;). I realized I’d not been really writing enough op-ed pieces, and came up with the idea of doing them weekly, both as a writing exercise and a way to put thoughts and ideas out there to share and discuss with y’all. :) I’ll be doing these every Wednesday, because if I don’t set a specific day to do ‘em, I never will, you know? ;) Recently, 4X games have been on my mind after the recent release of StarDrive. After I made my decision to put my review of the game on hold, I was taken to task on a forum I frequent for not liking other recent entries in the 4X space race, such as Endless Space and Sword of the Stars II. This got me to thinking, what HAS been going on with spacey 4X games of late?
Continue reading “Spacing Out: The Trouble with 4X Games” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, endless space, galactic civilizations ii, Imperium Galactica II, master of orion, Master of Orion II, predestination, Sins of a Solar Empire II, stardrive, Sword of the Stars II
Yes, You Read Right. News. ;)
Helllooooooooo my good friends. How are y’all doin’? Sorry about missing posting the news yesterday, just been a bit crazy around here, but good! Spent time with both X3: Albion Prelude and Distant Worlds: Shadows, so expect stuff on that soon (once I have time to actually write it up), and recorded a podcast to talk about Dominium, which you’ll hear soon. Now, onto the news!
- Distant Worlds: Shadows – OMG, apparently we can talk about it now. How do I know this? ;) There’s a new preview from Space Sector, as well as several new videos from Das24680 (LOVE that guy) showing off the game (which will also be embedded below). I’ve been able to dive in myself recently, so I’ll have my preview up within the next couple of days, as it comes out next week!!!
- EVE Online – Lots of news for this game. First, from the official site, we have dev blogs on hacking in Odyssey as well as planetary conquest changes. From The Mittani, we have more articles covering Odyssey, namely naval battleship rebalancing, dual character training and exploration, as well as a storyline primer for May, 2013.
- Dominium – This game used to be called Dominion, it’s been renamed after getting a C&D from another game of the same name, and is now called Dominium. Other updates cover DRM (or lack thereof), a new station, the Pengari 40 race, and another concept ship. Stay tuned for our podcast with the lead dev soon. :)
- StarDrive – Holy hell, it’s a deluge of reviews!! We have ‘em from IncGamers, BagoGames, Gamespot Australia, IGN, The Tech Scoop, SnackBar Games, VGU, The Page of Reviews, GameInformer, Press2Reset,Overclocker’s Club and GamersGlobal (in German). Wheeeeew, I’m out of virtual breath.
- Star Citizen – A bevy of recent updates, including part six of their writer’s guide, concept art of the planet Armitage, analysys of a Vanduul warship, an in-game ad for the Omni-Bel Ship Dealership and an update to the user support system. Away from the main site, we have two videos of Chris Roberts playing with the Razer Edge, a hotspot video and a full-length video, both of which will be embedded below. Don’t why the different names, they’re both around eight minutes in length.
- Star Trek Online – There have been three new updates discussing the Legacy of Romulus expansion. The first covers Romulan Warbirds stats, the second looks at warp cores, and the final at console set bonuses. Whatever that means. ;)
- Strike Suit Infinity – There’s a new review up from IncGamers.
- Void of Darkness – Two new videos, showing all weapons and one showing cluster bombs. Both with also be embedded below.
- Quintet – Their Android Kickstarter made its goal, so it’ll be coming to Android! Woohoo!
- Artemis – In similar news, this bridge simulation software IS now available for Android. Woohoo! ;)
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new progress update that talks about how…progress on the game is going. ;)
- Retrobooster – There’s a new updated demo out with a bunch of new bug fixes. I really need to give this a whirl again, now that I have a gamepad. :)
- AI War – There’s a new update entitled “So I Rewired It” which contains work going into the next major revision of the game, version 7.0. They’re calling it a “foundational upheavel”.
- Icarus Ascends – These guys have their own website now! Yay!
- Galaxial – There’s a new update on ship fitting, which looks nifty.
- And Here the Wheel – There’s a new podcast episode up by the author of the official novel of Elite: Dangerous. Check it out.
Whew, that’s a heckuva lot of news, but we’re not done! We also have DEALS!
- The folks behind Show me The Games are having a huge sale, which you go to their site and get codes for discounts. This includes:
- As part of a larger Deep Silver Sale, you can get these games on Green Man Gaming for a discount (the deals aren’t available in my region, so I apologize, but I can’t see the prices):
- Green Man Gaming also has an EVE Online starter pack for $4.99
Finally, in unrelated news, the Kickstarter for CDF Ghostship has begun. The dev is a really nice guy who frequents our forums, so I wanted to do him a solid. ;)
Thanks for reading guys and gals, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 5/10-14/13: The Very, Very Late Edition” »
ai war fleet command, And Here the Wheel, Artemis, beat hazard, beyond beyaan, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, elite: dangerous, Evochron Mercenary, Icarus Ascends, quintet, retrobooster, smugglers v, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, star trek online, stardrive, Strike Suit Infinity, void of darkness, x3 albion prelude
So! Much! Color!
Haaaaaaaaayyyy guuuuuuuuys, how are ya? Sorry for the delay in this week’s podcast episode, but Jim and I were both busier than usual this week with the real life nonsense. That said, we had no guest this past week, so we just caught up on what we’ve been playing, the news and all sorts of other stuff. It was a fun time, so we hope you enjoy it.
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, please feel free to comment on the podcast below (I’m not creating specific forum threads anymore, no one uses ‘em ;) and follow us using RSS and/or iTunes. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #12: A Potpourri of Pew Pew” »
Cosmic Encounter Online, Dark Space, distant worlds, drox operative, Earth & Beyond, Eclipse, endless space, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, Icarus Ascends, Independence War, Jumpgate, legends of pegasus, limit theory, master of orion, Omega Boost, rodina, Salvation Prophecy, star citizen, Star Command, Star Trek Klingon Academy, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, stardrive, Strike Suit Infinity, Unstoppable Gorg, x3 albion prelude