So! Much! Color!
Haaaaaaaaayyyy guuuuuuuuys, how are ya? Sorry for the delay in this week’s podcast episode, but Jim and I were both busier than usual this week with the real life nonsense. That said, we had no guest this past week, so we just caught up on what we’ve been playing, the news and all sorts of other stuff. It was a fun time, so we hope you enjoy it.
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, please feel free to comment on the podcast below (I’m not creating specific forum threads anymore, no one uses ‘em ;) and follow us using RSS and/or iTunes. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #12: A Potpourri of Pew Pew” »
Cosmic Encounter Online, Dark Space, distant worlds, drox operative, Earth & Beyond, Eclipse, endless space, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, Icarus Ascends, Independence War, Jumpgate, legends of pegasus, limit theory, master of orion, Omega Boost, rodina, Salvation Prophecy, star citizen, Star Command, Star Trek Klingon Academy, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, stardrive, Strike Suit Infinity, Unstoppable Gorg, x3 albion prelude
Pew Pew! Woosh!
Last week, I published my second look at the StarDrive beta, getting a good look at one of the later builds and seeing how well the game played. This is a game that I and many others have been excited about for a long time, with a successful Kickstarter campaign and a lengthy open beta, this one has been on people’s radar for a while. Now that it’s out, does it live up to the hype? This series of articles that will constitute the game’s review will hope to answer that.
The question I have for myself is…will this 4X been good enough to dethrone my current favorite, Distant Worlds? ;) That said, we’ll also look at the game on its own merits to see if it’s worth your time. Now, with that said, let’s dive in and see, shall we?
Continue reading “StarDrive: Let’s Get This Party Started…” »
Aren’t You Adorable…
I’m writing this while on a bit of Vicodin (just got a tooth removed), so I’ll blame any inaccuracies or irrelevancies on that. ;) Now, a while back I wrote a preview on a much earlier version of StarDrive that was provided through Desura as a Kickstarter reward I believe. That early version had some issues, but it was still a good time. Now, in a preview, us writin’ folk are supposed to stay positive since the game isn’t finished yet, which is mostly what you’ll see here, but since you can buy the game already, and it’s this close to being released (like, this Friday), I’m also gonna be a bit blunt on some things as well, stuff I’d usually save for a review. That said, the earlier line still holds true, this version still has some issues…
Continue reading “StarDrive Open Beta: Fast-Paced 4X Frivolity (With a Fuss…)” »
SO MUCH NEWSINESS!
Helllloooo everyone! SOOO SORRY I’ve been lax on posting the news, but I’ve been just SO busy and SO tired I’ve barely had a break for anything else. In fact, that TIE Fighter video below was pretty much all I’ve had energy for recently until now, thankfully. I’m finally feeling more awake and human, and need to get both you folks AND myself informed as to the latest spacey gamey stuff going on, so let’s dive in, it’s pretty deep.
- Escaping Titan – The Kickstarter for the Escaping Titan rulebook collection has launched, and has a very modest funding fee which will, I believe, help fund the game itself. I know I’m kicking to it, are you? ;) These guys will also be on the next episode of the podcast, so stay tuned!
- Weird Worlds – This awesome, AWESOME game is now on Steam! YAY! Go get it! :)
- Horizon – Got word today that Iceberg Interactive will be publishing this game! Congrats to them!
- Star Citizen – Lots of updates here. First, Gamasutra has an interview with Chris Roberts on his crowdfunding successes. Gameinformer also has an intterview with the main man. Then, the official site has some Terra concept art, a new issue of “The Lost Generation“, a fan spotlight on ship designs, and a video with lead artist Mark Skelton, which will be below.
- I.O.U: Isle of Universe – Thanks to Demorve on Quarter to Three for pointing this out to me. Over on Steam Greenlight, there’s an interesting looking game called I.O.U: Isle of Universe which I’d never heard of before, but looks nifty as heck, so I’ma keep an eye out on it. :) You can see a video of the game in action after the cut.
- Starflight II – The CRPG Addict has posted several entries covering his look at the game, which are all fantastic reads as usual. :) If you’ve not played this, they’re VERY spoilery, FYI, so proceed with caution.
- EVE Online – Holy crap, lots of articles on this one. The official site has stories on The Angel Project and a dev blog on the war on bots. The Mittani has a look at the The Burning Life novel, two articles on the use of carriers, and various articles covering the TEST Alliance, EVE University’s head resigning, incoming planetary ownership in Dust, Li3 Alliance having its wallet stolen, a look at the revised Black Ops system, and a look at the old Naglfar cap ship. Whew!
- Star Conflict – The Mittani also has an article on getting started in the game. There’s also a small Q&A on the official site.
- FTL – Polygon has a lovely little story about the background of the game and its success.
- Kerbal Space Program – Version 0.19 has been released which includes Linux support, atmospheric effects, new parts and a lot more. I need to make another video of this ASAP.
- AI War – There’s a new update entitled “Core Foamhammer” which adds new versions of eighteen ships.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new update on wormholes and starlanes for y’all to read.
- Distant Worlds – Rob over on One Guy, Too Many Games has reviewed the game and found it didn’t click with him, sadly.
- Star Lords – According to a Tweet from the game’s developer, you can now get Alpha 3.0 at the official site.
- Limit Theory – There’s a new progress update over on the the game’s forum which, as always, is a great read.
- StarDrive – To help make up for my own lack of a preview (SORRY, been so busy), I present to you this comical Let’s Play forum series.
- Angular Velocity – There’s are a couple of progress updates as well as a new video, which will be under the cut below.
- StarStrategy – The lead developer is looking for help with some graphics for the game. There’s also a new screenshot, new video, and some progress updates.
- Void of Darkness – There’s a new call for alpha testers, and a new video to gawk at as well!
- Miner Wars 2081 – There’s a new update for the game which apparently includes the source code!
- Elite: Dangerous – Thanks to Wild Bill for sending these in! :) There’s a new progress update video up on Kickstarter.
- Infinity – Wow, twice in as many weeks with a new update, this time talking about the possibility of a Kickstarter and other fun stuff.
- Predestination – There’s a new race reveal! Meet the Sauros! Aren’t they ADORABLE? ;)
- Galactic Reign – This is a new game that looks like a fun space conquest game, but is only available on Windows 8 and Windows Phone, so I likely won’t be playing it. Sighs. Thanks VGN247!
- Drox Operative – JUST UNDER THE WIRE. Just as I was about to post this story, I saw there’s a new patch for the game which adds…new colors on some ships…oh, and a bug.
Next up, SolCommand has some lovely models for your game creation usage, this time of a Giza Pyramid ship, a Dyn shield emitter, a Kurat Command Ship and some futuristic towers. Finally (OMG I KNOW), the Concept Ships blog has lovely art from rd7, Colin Foran and Jon McCoy.
WHEW! I need a nap! Have a good one folks, and I’ll try to make these more regular in the coming week, but don’t be surprised if I miss a day or two, as I’m just swamped. :/ Thanks for visiting and reading, as always, and have a great day!
Continue reading “Space Game News and Deals 3/13-19/13: Serious Ketchup Needed” »
ai war fleet command, angular velocity, beyond beyaan, distant worlds, drox operative, elite: dangerous, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, Galactic Reign, horizon, I.O.U: Isle of Universe, infinity, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, miner wars 2081, predestination, star citizen, Star Conflict, star lords, stardrive, Starflight II: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula, starstrategy, void of darkness, weird worlds return to infinite space
We Need a Better Logo…
Hey everyone, welcome to episode #02 of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I try to become more streamlined and efficient (me especially), yet still discuss some news, some games, and our main topic, the best music from spacey games!
Podcast: Play in new window
All the notes for the show are below, and feel free to comment on the show either here in the comments or on our forum. Thanks for listening, and don’t forget if you want to subscribe, you can use the icons in the sidebar on the left for our RSS feed or iTunes page. Thanks again! Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #02: Give Me a Ship and a Song to Steer Her By…” »
conquest frontier wars, distant worlds, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, eve online, freelancer, freespace 2, FTL, galactic civilizations ii, Homeworld, really big sky, star ruler, star wars: tie fighter, Terminus, veil of darkness, wing commander, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn
NEWS! OH YEAH!
Hey kids, happy Wednesday! I hope y’all are having a lovely week so far! I’ve got a bunch of fun news for y’all today, so let’s get started!
In related news, there’s a fun DOS Screenshot Challenge which includes some classic space games (the site also has tests for Amiga, Sega Megadrive and the ZX Spectrum). The Concept Ships blog has some great art from Rico Kersten. Finally, the Arcen folks are selling the soundtrack to A Valley Without Wind 2, which is pretty cool.
That’s it for today folks. Thanks for visiting, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News 2/20/13: Hump Day News Feast” »
Bring On the News!
Hey everyone, happy Friday! As this will very likely be the last thing I post before Christmas day, I wanted to wish all those who celebrate the holiday a joyous, fun, and present-filled holiday. :) Now let’s jump into some news and deals!
- First up the Emeny Starfighter site has been updated with two awesome videos showing some fun, short bits of the game. I’ll embed these below, but be sure to check ‘em out, especially the one showing things getting blowed up. ;)
- Okay, get this folks. There’s a new update for one of the Distant Worlds expansions, but not Legends, rather, Return of the Shakturi. That’s kinda crazy awesome. Apparently, “v184.108.40.206 update incorporates all the bug fixes and performance improvements from Distant Worlds: Legends,” which is pretty cool if you’ve not purchased Legends yet.
- Star Trek Online Community Manager Brandon “BranFlakes” Felczer was interviewed on the Deck Eight podcast.
- The Limit Theory Kickstarter has been updated with talk on creating a faction and a new tech demo, which I’ll embed below. Definitely looking awesome!
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has posted an excellent review of Drox Operative that anyone on the fence about getting the game needs to read.
- Iteration 14 of Void Destroyer has been released, which includes a new command mode, turret enhancements and more!
- The Vendetta Online folks have released their holiday newsletter, which offers some free time for previous subscribers and so on.
- The Star Conflict folks are now offering gold standards for victories in battles, which can be used as currency in the game it seems.
- Finally, the Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter has been updated with video of a scavenger hunt (embedded below) as well as some other useful links. Whoopiedeedoo.
Now onto deals, of which there are a bunch today. First off, GamersGate’s holiday sale seems to be in full force, and they have the following funness:
WHEW. Now, we’re not done yet, because DotEmu is also having a sale, which includes the following:
NOW we’re done, and I need a nap. ;) Again, have a wonderful and festive holiday folks, and thanks as always for visiting. :)
Get’cher Videos Right This Way, Folks!
dark matter, darkstar one, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, drox operative, elite: dangerous, enemy starfighter, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, galactic dream, gratuitous space battles, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos, Independence War Deluxe Edition, limit theory, master of orion, master of orion 3, o.r.b., sins of a solar empire: rebellion, Space Empires IV, Space Empires V, Star Conflict, star fury, star trek online, stellar impact, Vendetta Online, Void Destroyer
Bring On the News!
Hey y’all, happy Sunday! I hope everyone had a great weekend (or in our case here in the U.S., a long holiday weekend)! A lot happened over the long weekend and while I don’t usually post on Sundays, some of this is time sensitive. Therefore, let’s get the week started with a ton of spacey gamey news! Remember, all videos that can be embedded will be after the cut.
- There are some Dominion updates over on Kickstarter, including both a screenshot and video of their planetary shader.
- There’s also a new video showing off station building in Deep Space Settlement that’s pretty cool.
- ScrumbleShip has been updated to version 0.19with a “ton of backend changes” such as allowing development on Macs and so on.
- Predestination has updated its Kickstarter with a small FAQ and a look at planetary customization. There’s also an interview with the developer over on 4xgamer.
- The Blockade Runner site has been updated with screenshots of its recent ship conversions, which look pretty cool.
- Vendetta Online has been upgraded to 1.8.237, which includes enhanced password security, fixes for video options and more.
- Space Sector has two articles regarding StarDrive. First, an interview with the developer, followed by news of pre-orders beginning in early 2013.
- Starfarer has been updated to 0.54a, with new character skills and aptitudes, a redesigned fleet interface and so on.
- VG247 has an interesting interview with David Braben regarding Elite: Dangerous. Their Kickstarter also has some new FAQ entries, as well as a development video…finally.
- There’s a fun AAR of Distant Worlds going on on Broken Forum in which the player is using the Star Trek – Picard Era Mod mod to play the Ferengi. Good stuff.
- There’s a new patch for Star Conflict that updates the matchmaking and changes the battle rewards systems.
- There’s a new website up for the upcoming EVE Online: Retribution expansion showing many of the new features.
- There’s a new patch for Drox Operative which allows buying a temporary ceasefire between warring races, among other things.
- Finally in spacey gamey news, you can now get Miner Wars 2081 on Steam, and if you purchased the game already, you can get a Steam key by logging into your account on the official Miner Wars 2081 site.
In other news, Cliff Harris has a great article on Kickstarter inequality which is totally worth a read. In non-gamey news, the lead dev of Beyond Beyaan has a life update, and there are some lovely Halo 4 ship drawings over on the Concept Ships blog. In bargains, there’s a new Fueling Up bundle over on GamersGate which includes Aeon Command and Space Pirates and Zombies.
Finally, the devs behind the Interstellar Marines: Prologue Kickstarter asked me to promote their campaign, and while it’s not a spacey game, I’m happy to help as much as I can.
That’s it folks. Have a great day, and thanks for visiting!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Deals – 11/22-25/12” »
Aeon Command, blockade runner, Deep Space Settlement, distant worlds, dominion, drox operative, elite: dangerous, eve online, miner wars 2081, predestination, ScrumbleShip, space pirates and zombies, Star Conflict, stardrive, starfarer, Vendetta Online
OMG THE SALES! RUN! SAVE YOURSELVES!
Happy Black Friday y’all! I hope y’all had a lovely Thanksgiving here in the US, and I hope y’all are jumping on all the sales today. In trying to help y’all out, I’m putting this post all the non-Steam sales on spacey games I can find. Here we go:
Warning: LONG List Ahead!
Armada 2526, Armada 2526 Supernova, arvoch alliance, arvoch conflict, dark horizon, darkstar one, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, endless space, evochron legends, Evochron Mercenary, Evochron Renegades, Galactic Civilizations I, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, genesis rising, Haegemonia - Legion of Iron, Haegemonia - The Solon Heritage, master of orion, Master of Orion III, o.r.b., Outforce, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, Smugglers IV - Doomsday, sol exodus, Space Trade, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, Starships Unlimited v3, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, x3 albion prelude, x3 reunion, X3: Gold Edition, X3: Terran Conflic
Get Distant Worlds on Sale Now!!!! Go Go Go!!!
Hey y’all, good news! I just got a press release from the folks at Matrix Games talking about a biiiig holiday sale, and it includes the amazing Distant Worlds games! Here’s the breakdown:
That’s a little less than $60. People, these games rarely get this cheap, and they’re worth every penny. I’ve recently declared the game with expansions my favorite 4X ever. It’s seriously that good people. If you can, jump on this and experience some of the finest space strategy gaming ever, I highly recommend you do so. This also lets you get the entire package in preparation for the new expansion, Shadows, which will come out early next year. Good luck, and enjoy! :)