You Magnificent Son of A Bitch…
Welcome to episode #09 of the Space Game junkie Podcast! In this episode, Jim and I bring on Gamers With Jobs CEO Shawn “Certis” Andrich to discuss if space games are just “chasing a dot”, as he called them previous. In a surprise — to me at least, and pleasantly so — the discussion evolves and turns into an intervention where we discuss how space action games have become kinda samey in terms of lack of space, lack of place and so on to help Shawn find some new games. It was a fun, spirited discussion. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
We talked about a looooooot of games, and you can find links to all of them below in the show notes. We hope you enjoy the show, and invite you to comment here or on the forum, as well as use our RSS or iTunes feeds to subscribe to us. Thanks for listening, and have a great day! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #09: Chasing Dots and Games” »
dangerous, darkstar one, diaspora, drox operative, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, freelancer, freespace 2, freespace open, Frontier: Elite II, FTL, galaxy on fire, Homeworld, independence war 2, limit theory, Rules of Engagement, skyjacker, Space Rangers 2, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, Star Wars: X-Wing, star wars: x-wing alliance, Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Starshatter, strike suit zero, wing commander, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn, x series
Pew to the Power of Pew!
Welcome to this week’s episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This time Jim and I talk to Paul Tobia, or Rorschach on several forums, who is something of an expert on the Sword of the Stars series. I was fairly “meh” on Sword of the Stars II a little while back, so we asked Paul on to help convince us (and hopefully, you folks), that the game is worth our time.
Podcast: Play in new window
We hope you enjoy this week’s episode, and as always, invite your comments either below or on the forum. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #07: Getting Sold on Swords and Stars” »
endless space, Galactose, Homeworld, homeworld 2, homeworld cataclysm, Kerbal Space Program, northstar, rogue system, sins of a solar empire, star citizen, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon, wing commander
The Man Himself
Oh. My. God. I’m still so flabbergasted and amazed we got to talk to this industry legend that I can mostly talk in one-two word sentences. Oh. My. God. ;) Seriously, Jim and I were lucky enough to sit down to talk to the man himself about his games and his movies, and it was completely fascinating. Mr. Roberts was very generous with his time and his candor, and we can’t thank him enough for spending some of his valuable time with us.
Podcast: Play in new window
Oh, and OMG, he said he liked my site. SQUEEEEEEE! Seriously, I’m still on a cloud folks, no lie. :) We hope you enjoy the podcast, and invite your comments and questions below in the comments or on the forum. Thanks for listening, and please feel free as always to follow our RSS feed or iTunes feed. :) Have a great day!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #04: Chris. Freaking. Roberts.” »
Learn More about this Awesome Looking Game!
Welcome to episode 03 of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! While we will usually try to do one of these a week, this week you get two for the price of one! In this episode, we talk to Michael Juliano, the programmer behind Rogue System. He’s running a Kickstarter and we want to give him as much help as possible in its final two weeks, so we sat down and asked him all sorts of his questions about his background, his game, his Kickstarter and so on. Jim did most of the talking this time because I still have a cough and didn’t wanna cough all over the interview, sadly :/
Podcast: Play in new window
Notes for the show are below the cut as always. If you have any quesitions or comments, please leave ‘em in the comments below or on the forum. Don’t forget to follow us through RSS or iTunes, and thanks for listening. :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #03: Rogue System Q&A with Michael Juliano” »
We Need a Better Logo…
Hey everyone, welcome to episode #02 of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I try to become more streamlined and efficient (me especially), yet still discuss some news, some games, and our main topic, the best music from spacey games!
Podcast: Play in new window
All the notes for the show are below, and feel free to comment on the show either here in the comments or on our forum. Thanks for listening, and don’t forget if you want to subscribe, you can use the icons in the sidebar on the left for our RSS feed or iTunes page. Thanks again! Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #02: Give Me a Ship and a Song to Steer Her By…” »
conquest frontier wars, distant worlds, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, eve online, freelancer, freespace 2, FTL, galactic civilizations ii, Homeworld, really big sky, star ruler, star wars: tie fighter, Terminus, veil of darkness, wing commander, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn
More Chit Chat
Hello, and welcome to episode 01 of the SGJ Podcast. Join Jim from the Bad Movie Podcast and me as we try to adapt something of a format in order to have some more focus and structure! ;) We talk about some news, some games we’re playing, and our topic for this week, which games that are still worth playing even though their graphics and UI are on the archaic side. We also look at the opposite side of the coin, games that have held up well over the years.
Podcast: Play in new window
We also have an iTunes page now, as well as our RSS feed! Yay! Thank you for listening, and please find our show notes under the cut. :) Also, since I’m still pretty new to this podcasting thing (it’s old hat to Jim, thankfully), please don’t hesitate to give me constructive criticism on how I can improve my performance either in the comments below or in the forum. :) Hope the length is okay with y’all, but again, new to this stuff, still trying to be efficient. ;) Thanks again! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #01: Graphics vs. UI vs. Gameplay! FIGHT!” »
beyong beyaan, drox operative, elite, endless space, freelancer, Homeworld, homeworld 2, homeworld cataclysm, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos, Kerbal Space Program, privateer gemini gold, rogue system, Rules of Engagement, Rules of Engagement 2, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, space rogue, Star Command, star fleet 1, star fleet 2, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, star wars: tie fighter, star wars: x-wing alliance, starflight, starflight 2 trade routes of the cloud nebula, starlander, wing commander, wing commander ii, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, wing commander iv the price of freedom, wing commander prophecy
SO MUCH NEWS!!!
Hello everyone, and happy Tuesday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, had a dentist appointment and no time to put into this, sadly. Fun times! This mean I have news from today, yesterday and the weekend to cover, so let’s dive in!
- Endless Space – There’s a new screenshot of a new Automaton hero, Mizn Ora-Yur, from the upcoming Virtual Awakening expansion. I love the look of it.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has some great EVE-based articles such as the sin of sloth in the game, news on a new battle of U930, a look at the sovereignty system, some unrest in the Li3 federation and finally, an interview with the folks behind the EVE documentary called “A Tale of Internet Spaceships“,
- Freespace 2 – Speaking of The Mittani, they take at look at the BEST SPACE COMBAT SIM EVER in their Nostalgia files.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new update entitled, “Information as Currency; the Rise of the InfoAgent” which talks about this career path.
- SlipSpace – There’s a new dev video on their Kickstarter page that I sadly can’t embed, but it looks nifty!
- Rogue System – FlightSim.com has a nice little blurb about the game. Michael also posted some thoughts on Kickstarter and a small article on how hardcore the game is. Finally, there’s a new startup video, which I’ll embed below.
- StarMade – There’s both a quick status update that followed the release of a new test build for folks to try, including me. ;)
- Beyond Beyaan – Spider! (He is our hero) Also, the Kickstarter has less than a day left, so if you wanna kick in, now’s the time. :)
- StarLife – The devs have set up a new forum for y’all to chat about the game.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a small update covering a possible roleplaying code of conduct. They also have Friday screenshots, as well as a new starship spotlight video, which I’ll embed below.
- Miner Wars 2081 – According to a tweet on their Twitter feed, the devs have begun work on modding support, as well as releasing “99% of the game source code”. I wonder what that other 1% would be…
- StarStrategy – More screenshots of things going pew pew!
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Maurice — you know, one of the gentlement I just interviewed about the game — posted an old review of the game from OMNI magazine that’s a real treat to read.
- ZigFrak – The folks at TechZwn (odd name) have a review of the game for y’all to enjoy.
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a cool new screenshot over on yfrog.
- Galaxial – There’s a new dev blog entry covering colony management that looks pretty awesome.
- Drox Operatove – There are some new tweets teasing features in the upcoming expansion.
- Space Nerds in Space – Thanks to Free Gamer for letting us know about this upcoming starship bridge simulator inspired by Artemis.
- Sword of the Stars II – Universal Gaming Reviews has a review and giveaway of the game.
- Strike Suit Zero – Speaking of giveaways, Space Sector is having one for this game.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new post detailing the latest changes to the game.
- Star Command – There’s a new update apologizing for their lack of updates and then giving a small update on their Kickstarter.
- Longshot – The dad at Dad’s Gaming Addiction did an article on the game.
- AI War – Now that their latest game is released, Arcen can now return to patching this one. ;)
- Void of Darkness – This is a new Starflight-inspired game sent into me by reader John, so thanks John!
- Wing Commander – Podcast Partner Jim sent over this awesome video of a hard-rock cover of the game’s theme. This will totally be embedded below the cut.
Next up, sales, and there’s a good chunk of stuff! Steam is having several midweek sales, which includes the following:
Finally, related news! First, since we cover older games here, I though that a new version of the Amiga emulator WinUAE being released was somewhat relevant, thanks to Indie Retro News for the update. Next, I missed this somehow but Artem Bank — the gentleman who composed the amazing music for Star Ruler — has two new bits of music out, “Facebook 5” and “Natural” which sound great. Finally, the Concept Ships blog has fantastic ships from Joseph Cross and a gorgeous orbiter concept from Rasmus Poulsen.
That’s it folks! WHEW! Thanks for visiting, and enjoy!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 2/25-26/13: Catching Up Edition” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, endless space, epic space game, eve online, freespace, galaxial, gemini wars, longshot, miner wars 2081, rogue system, Rules of Engagement 2, slipspace, Space Empires IV, Space Empires V, space nerds in space, star citizen, Star Command, star ruler, star trek online, starlife, starmade, starstrategy, stellar impact, strike suit zero, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, void of darkness, wing commander, zigfrak
NEWS! OH YEAH!
Hey kids, happy Wednesday! I hope y’all are having a lovely week so far! I’ve got a bunch of fun news for y’all today, so let’s get started!
In related news, there’s a fun DOS Screenshot Challenge which includes some classic space games (the site also has tests for Amiga, Sega Megadrive and the ZX Spectrum). The Concept Ships blog has some great art from Rico Kersten. Finally, the Arcen folks are selling the soundtrack to A Valley Without Wind 2, which is pretty cool.
That’s it for today folks. Thanks for visiting, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News 2/20/13: Hump Day News Feast” »
This is How It All Begins…
In my Q&A with one of the members of the team behind Strike Suit Zero, I was told the team has “grown up playing the likes of Wing Commander, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and Colony Wars,” but was sad that there was nothing to “satisfy fans of that genre today”. Having played the game now, I can tell they’ve strived to appeal to fans of the genre while giving us something new, fresh and hopefully fun. Did they succeed in their goal?
Read On to Find Out…
Hey folks, happy Thursday! I hope your wallets are still okay even though the Steam sale has begun. ;) To distract you from the buying, here’s some news!
- The SkyJacker folks have launched a press release talking about their latest Kickstarter, and you can read the PDF here.
- You can find two new reviews of Drox Operative over at Gaming Illustrated and Technology Tell, both pretty positive. :)
- In their continuing quest to be the awesomest digital distribution site around, GOG has added the expansions to several of their EA games, including Wing Commander 1+2 and Wing Commander Privateer! AWESOME! Edit: There are now also MAC versions of the two Wing Commander products as well! NICE!
- In EVE Online news, winners in round six of their portrait competition have been announced, they’ve announced a free developer licence program, and players now have new gifts to open. Yay!
- The Elite: Dangerous folks have announced a new £80 digital download tier for their Kickstarter, and have received an endorsement from Chris Roberts. Yay?
- Co-Optimus has an interview with Terry Welsh about his game, Retrobooster.
- Sword of the Stars II and Lunar Flight have seen updates on Steam.
- Over on the Endless Space forums, you can vote in a poll regarding random events.
- There’s now a code commit feed over on the Beyond Beyaan blog.
- Finally, there new update for Star Conflict that adds a new shipyard defense mission mode, which sounds really cool. Why haven’t I played this?
That’s it for today folks, have a great one!
beyond beyaan, drox operative, elite: dangerous, eve online, Lunar Flight, skyjacker, Star Conflict, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, wing commander, wing commander 2, Wing Commander: Privateer