One of the things I love about having this blog is that finding new games can happen in completely unexpected ways. Take Flagship, for example. The only reason I found out about is because I noticed the URL of one of the devs’ emails when they commented on another post, and followed it to the game’s website. Once I saw the game’s screenshots and videos, I had to learn more, so I reached out to the devs for more info. What follows is a detailed Q&A with developers Brad Jeffrey and Matt J, and I hope you find it as enlightening as I did. :) Enjoy!
And we’re done folks. GOG now finally has all of the Wing Commander related games released for the PC ever, I believe, with the long-awaited (by me, at least) release of Wing Commander: Armada. I don’t know about y’all, but I am tickled, TICKLED by this release, and can’t wait to revisit this beloved game. Sure, I know the game had issues, but I played the HELL out of it back in the day. Oh hey, they’re also having a promo with the entire series for 50% off! YAY! Thanks scharmers for the tip! :)
Hello my friends, and happy Tuesday, 11/12/13! Iget a kick out of that. I’ve collected enough stories to do one of these digest thingies, so let’s dive in, shall we?
- Star Citizen – They’ve now passed $27 million in funding! WOW. The newest stretch goal, for $29 million, will allow for enhanced missions for Squadron 42, the game’s single player component. Glad that’ll be getting some more love. The Mittani also has a video showing off the Constellation in all of her glory. Gotta love the Connie. In-game stuff includes three lore updates and a news update, and out-of-game you can now buy physical goods like shirts and the like. Finally, there’s an interview with animator Daniel Craig (no, not that one).
- Rogue System – There’s a new development entry showing off an image of a strike fighter fuselage, and talking about the modeled cockpit.
- Space Engineers – According to the lead dev’s blog, the game has sold 100,000 copies in three weeks. Not too shabby!
- Wing Commander – The CIC has some shots of a fan-made Christopher Blair (WC1-2 era) model, so we can finally get a better look at one of our favorite heroes. Nice stuff. I also really want this Kilrathi keyboard. A lot.
- Galactose – There’s some new music coming to the game courtesy of its composer, and you can hear a sampling by following a link in the post.
- Freeworlds: Tides of War – Thanks to The Starport for making me aware that the devs have a new video talking about the state of the mod. FINALLY. :)
- Predestination – Space Sector has an interview with the devs checking in a year after their successful Kickstarter completed.
- Galactic Civilization III – There’s a new post covering Drengin ship design. I like their wedge shaped designs myself. There’s also an interview with Brad Wardell about the game on Strategy Informer.
- Drox Operative – There’s a new patch made up of mostly bug fixes.
- Interstellaria – I found this Kickstarter campaign the other day and TOTALLY backed it, as it looks awesome. They also have a recent update on the game’s mechanics.
- The Mandate – There’s a new dev log on their Kickstarter, with some new screenshots of cap ship interiors. You can also learn more about Her Majesty’s Service.
- Void Destroyer – Because the game is about to enter Steam early access (YAY), Paul has posted his plans for prettying up the game for its launch. Cool!
- Eterium – There’s a new dev update on Kickstarter showing off some screenshots from some new missions. Can we play it yet? ;)
- Endless Space – There are a couple of posts covering The Search for Auriga, such as features in the expansion and a new hero.
- Voidnex Frontier – Unlike last time, wherein I incorrectly posted an old update, there’s actually a NEW update with information on weapons and more!
- X Rebirth – There’s a new video showing off the long range scanner in the game. Man I want this now.
- Kerbal Space Program – You can now buy the game on GameFly along with the other previous options.
- SkyJacker – The game has made it to the Steam Greenlight top 50, and there’s a new video of a YTG cruiser on their Kickstarter!
- EVE Online – There’s a new In Development video looking at the upcoming Rubicon expansion.
Finally, our buddy SolCommand is having a contest wherein you can win a copy of Diamant Tools for Maya, which are apparently both awesome and expensive! Check ‘em out!
That’s it for today folks! Have a great one!
FINALLY, GOG now has all five of the main Wing Commander series of games with today’s release of Wing Commander: Prophecy. This version on GOG also includes the Secret Ops expansion as well, making this the Gold version of the game, effectively! YAY! Now all they need to do is get Wing Commander: Armada (and, I GUESS if you wanna get technical, the Kilrathi Saga) to have all of the PC-based games of the series! I hope they get Armada soon, it’s a favorite of mine, warts and all. :) Anyway, head on over to GOG and complete your dang collection! :) Enjoy!
Hello everyone, and happy hump day! It’s time for another newsey digestey thingy, and there’s a good chunk of stuff to go over today, so let’s get to it!
- Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion – Out of nowhere is new DLC today entitled, The Stellar Phenomena, which adds random events, new stars and deep space anomalies. It’s going for $4.99 on Steam right now.
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – These folks not only have a new website, but new forums as well! Give ‘em a visit!
- Kerbal Space Program – The devs have released a quick list of some of the features of the next version of the game, including a science lab module, 3D mouse support and more. Das24680 also has a new Let’s Play installment looking at the new career mode, which I have to check out my own self.
- Star Citizen – There’s a post looking at the in-game Astro Armada marketing campaign, as well a gallery of the interior of the Idris corvette, which looks seeeeeeeexay. The devs also announced AMD Mantle support for the game.
- Voidnex Frontier – A admittedly long awaited update covers the game’s new graphics and combat system.
- Wing Commander – According to the CIC, the user-created Concordia hangar has been updated which now adds a Scimitar medium fighter, along with a new paint job for the Sabre. They also have some new user art to share with us.
- Endless Space – The Amplitude site has two new posts covering The Search for Auriga, one on balancing and another on a new robotic hero in the expansion.
- The Mandate – A new post over on Kickstarter covers stretch goals, PayPal and DRM among other things.
- Galactic Civilizations III – There’s new information in the game’s databanks covering the various civilizations in the game.
- SkyJacker – A new post on Kickstarter details their rise through Steam Greenlight and also includes a video of a YTG strike group.
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a new YouTube video showing off fog and asteroids in the game. Are you happy now Mathias?!?! ARE YOU?! ;)
- Star Conflict – The folks behind the game are looking for translators to help with the French, Spanish and German versions of the game. Do you have what it takes?
- EVE Online – The official site has a new post covering the Sisters of EVE faction ships in the upcoming expansion, Rubicon. The Mittani also has news of a civil war in the Amarr militia, and a battle report showing off bombing runs in Doril.
- Spacebase DF-9 – A new blog post discusses balance changes in the next version of the alpha game.
- Infinite Pixels – You can now pick this game up on Desura if you so desire, according to the game’s IndieDB page, which also includes a new launch trailer.
Finally, the Bundle in a Box folks have a new Indie Strategy Game Bundle which includes AI War and a bunch of other titles for a $1.99 minimum purchase, which is a good deal if you ask me.
That’s it for today folks. Have an awesome one!
Hellloooo my friends, and happy Monday! It’s time for another news digest, as I’ve gotten to that point where I have enough news to make one, and am gonna make the dang time needed to write one. :) There’s plenty to go over, so let’s dive in, shall we? (Remember, all vids are embedded after the cut)
- Endless Space – According to this Tweet from the Amplitude folks, the free add-on for Disharmony, entitled The Search for Auriga, will be released on November 14th! Insert obligatory “will this add the fun?” joke here. ;) (Sorry, couldn’t resist…)
- Wing Commander – The CIC has a couple of things of note, first a look back at the series by Den of Geek, then a look at the treasures in Chris Roberts’ office. Waaaaaaaant. They also have some shots of a new 3D rendered model of the Bearcat as well as some ships from Privateer 2.
- Star Citizen – Speaking of Chris Roberts, he’s chimed in to announce the game’s recent goal of $26 million in funding, which will now allow players to choose another starting ship. On the other side of the coin, the folks at Stick and Rudder wonder what might happen if the game fails. Back on the official site, there’s a new lore builder talking about racing, more details on the updated Hornet, a wacky new episode of The Wingman’s Hangar and finally, the full announcement for The Next Great Starship contest. Wheeew, that was a mouthful, huh?
- Eterium – There are some new details for the Sagaris medium fighter available.
- Galaxial – We finally have a new dev update, this time looking at some improved ship graphics. When can we play this again? ;)
- Vendetta Online – The most recent patch includes a new variant to the Vulture, custom names for cap ships and more.
- SkyJacker – There are a couple of new updates showing off details and free flight videos (which will be below as well) of the YTG Bomber and YTG Herald for your viewing enjoyment.
- EVE Online – The official site has a community spotlight on Agony Unleashed, a corp offering PVP classes, which is pretty cool of them.
- The Mandate – There’s a new video over at Viddler showing off a panel about the game at the recent MCM Comic Con late last month.
- Predestination – Hot on the heels of the recent combat beta, the planetary beta has now been released into the grubby paws of testers, myself included. Really need to try this…
- Freespace Open – The latest edition of the HLP Newsletter is here, with news of new campaigns, some features for the next release of FSO and more!
- Astrobase Command – There’s a new pictoral training montage on the game’s blog. I’m liking the look of this thing.
- Limit Theory – The latest development video has been posted which looks as sexy as ever.
- Sea of Stars – The folks behind this game have also posted their latest dev video, which looks fantastic.
- Star Wars Squadrons – Apparently this is a successor to TIE Fighter that I only just recently heard of, and it apparently works with the Oculus Rift. Wowie!
In somewhat relevant news, the Escapist has an odd list of the eight best giant video game spaceships. Then, reader Stephen Cameron sent in a video of his own procedural starship creator, similar to the one I posted the other day, which looks damned cool and runs in C I believe.
Finally, in deals, GamersGate is having a Stardock midweek sale with all the usual suspects present.
That’s it for today folks, have a great one!
Hello folks, and happy Friday! The weekend is FINALLY here, and my GOD do I need it because I am soooo freaking tired. This week has kicked my ass, and I don’t even know why. Hopefully getting plenty of rest and gaming time this weekend will help. What are y’all up to this weekend, and what are y’all playing? It’s a light news day, so let’s get to it…
- Star Citizen – There was a presentation from the Cloud Imperium folks about the game and stuff (I haven’t seen it). However, you can now purchase a Retaliator heavy bomber ($250 – Concept Art) or a Gladiator bomber ($150 – Concept Art) for a limited time. They also announced The Next Great Starship contest starting early next year, in which modders can submit designs for new ship for the game and win all types of prizes.
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – A new dev blog video shows off new hand-crafted space stations in the game.
- Astrobase Command – A new developer blog talks design theory and the “semiotics of choice“.
- Wing Commander – The CIC has an article on the history of the Victory battlegroup, while Quarter to Three has a look back at Privateer.
- EVE Online – The official site has a community spotlight on Diana Dial and her site, EVETimeCode.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a new dev blog discussing the design of the Voth race.
Finally, we have one deal from GOG. This weekend they’re having an Exciting EA Exclusives sale, and almost all the Wing Commander games (save the recently released Academy) are on sale.
That’s it folks, have an awesome weekend!
Hey folks, how are y’all! I hope y’all are having a fabulous day! I’m still half asleep my own self, but I’m getting by. Thankfully I have some time and energy to do news today, so let’s hop to it:
- Star Citizen – Later today, at 6:30 PM Central Time, there will be a livestream of Citizen Con from Austin, Texas, in which Chris Roberts and his team will lay out what’s been done for the game and what’s coming next. I hope they archive it because I’ll be in my car at that point. ;)
- Space Rangers HD – The release date for this exciting new installment in the beloved Space Rangers series is due next week, on 10/17, and you can read all about it on Blue’s since I can’t link to the actual press release on Games Press (which is behind a login wall). Can’t wait!
- Elite: Dangerous – According to a story on Develop, this game will be getting Oculus Rift support! Man I’m gonna need to get me one of these…
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – The devs have added a new $40 reward tier that gets you an art book and the opportunity to name a random galaxy.
- The Mandate – Via a Kickstarter update, the devs have created a page on the dynamics of crewmanship and a page on the game’s music. They also now have forums for you to use.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new dev blog detailing some features in the latest version of the game such as an improved H.U.D. and matchmaking balancing. The game will also be streamed on DigestNet tomorrow at 21:00 Moscow time.
- Wayward: Terran Frontier – The official site has a teensy tiny little status update.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new patch on the way, and you can read all about it on their Facebook page.
- X Rebirth – Now on Steam, you can order the collector’s edition of the game along with the regular version. The collector’s edition includes two soundtracks, and video and other bonuses.
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager – There’s a beefy dev update on the Matrix forums with lots of awesome info.
- Wing Commander – The Concordia Hangar that Howard Day has been working on now also has a Sabre fighter. It’s pretty awesome, so check it out!
- Star Trek Online – There’s another dev blog on the Avenger-class cruiser, which is now for sale apparently.
- EVE Online – CCP is now offering their own new player training sessions, which is damned awesome of them. The Mittani also has word of FIVE supercarriers going down within a couple of days. Craaaaaaazy.
- Escaping Titan – The Broken Crown folks have a new website, go check it out!
- Star Strike – This wasn’t a computer game, per se, but Old Game Magazines has an awesome old ad for it nonetheless.
Now there is one deal today. StarDrive is Steam’s daily deal, going for $10.19. While many, including myself, feel the game is still incomplete, the developer apparently feels it can “can stand on its own two legs” according to this interview, and is already eying moving onto another game in the series, so whether this is a deal is up to you. ;)
That’s it for today folks, have a good one!
Hello my friends, and happy Wednesday! I hope y’all are more awake than I am! SOOO TIRED! However, there’s news to report, and I’m trying to do this at least regularly enough that nothing gets missed, so let’s do this thing called news!
- Star Citizen – Tomorrow, 10/10/13, is the one year anniversary of the announcement of this game, so the RSI folks will have a celebratory livestream tomorrow, as well as a sale on some ships (ouch, my wallet!), but they’re also running a photo contest. They also passed the $21 million mark, which allows for salvage operations, something I am VERY excited about. There is also a Showdown news update and a guide to the Ellis system.
- Tactical Space Command – This Mac/iOS-only game is very much akin to “Harpoon in space”, as the developer who emailed me to let me know if its existence calls it. It’s pretty cool, so check it out.
- Voindex Frontier – Here’s another game that’s new-to-me, as it were. Looks pretty cool. :)
- SkyJacker – These folks have now launched their fourth Kickstarter campaign, so let’s hope this time they succeed!
- Epic Space Game – Their Kickstarter succeeded!!! YAY! Congrats to Edward and his team!
- Lunar Flight – The official site has an update on the upcoming Oculus Rift build for y’all to gawk at.
- FTL – Over on Quarter to Three, they’re running Starship Week, and there’s a new entry looking at this game and it’s impact (don’t worry, I have some stuff over there too I’ll link to separately).
- Kerbal Space Program – A new edition of KSP Weekly is up, and word that the long-awaited 0.22 version has entered the experimental phase, which brings it that much closer to release.
- Privateer 2 – Some enterprising fans of the game have released a patch which fixes some issues with the GOG version of the game, such as the interlaced video and such. I tried it but it made my joystick go all kerbibble, so I might go without.
- Drox Operative – A new beta patch for the game fixes memory leaks and a host of other issues.
- 90Edges Universe – The official blog has a progress update on how the game is coming along.
- X-Wing – The Old Game Magazines site has an image of an original ad for the game from 1993! Cool! Certainly brings back memories, it does.
- Wing Commander – From the CIC, we get word of both a Hellcat modeled into Wing Commander Academy and a 3D model of good old Bluehair from the first two games.
- Galactose – The official site has word of a new character outline.
- Star Trek Online – We have a couple of blog entries from the developers to look at, one on comm arrays and another on the Avenger-class cruiser (which is a damned sexy ship).
- Star Wars: The Old Republic – Apparently they’re getting a 12v12 online space combat arena thingy. Whoopie.
Next up, we have several sales, including:
- First up, Groupees is having a 1C Mega Bundle, in which you can buy two or more games for a SONG, and they include all three Star Wolves games as well as Parkan II, so jump on this as they’re all awesome.
- Speaking of Star Wolves, the Indie Gala Store is having a bundle of all three games for $4.99, but the Groupees bundle is still cheaper.
- Bundle Stars is having a great Quickfire Indie Bundle which includes Space Pirates and Zombies for $3.49, which is a decent deal for the other games you also get as well.
- Finally, FireFlower games is having a Sci-Fi Sale which includes games such as Ring Runner, The Tomorrow War and, again, all Star Wolves games. The prices aren’t the greatest though, but I wanted to make y’all aware of it regardless.
Finally, in related news, the aforementioned Not on Steam Sale is over, but apparently it has a huge success. Also, the latest game from those hardworking folks at Arcen Games, Bionic Dues, is now available.
That’s it for today folks, have a great one!
Hey guys, how are y’all? Me, I think I’m coming down with something, blech. Speaking of blech, there is sadly no way I have the time or energy to get all caught up on the nearly 200 pieces of news that happened over the last couple of weeks, and for that I apologize. While I love doing these news posts, I might find a better way to present ongoing space game news and just do posts for bigger items like game releases, new game announcements and the like. Maybe like a news ticker or something I can just put links into, I dunno…I have to figure out how to balance it all out so I have time and energy for non-news content, you know? I ask y’all then to please bear with me as I figure this out, because I’m starting to think my lunch breaks could be better spent writing original content than doing news. If I’m wrong, or if y’all have suggestions, let me know. To that end, until I figure out a better way, I’ll continue with the news posts and do them when I can, which includes today. However, this will only cover news from the past few days. With that said, let’s get to it.
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – Congrats to the dev team as they just passed their funding goal on Kickstarter! Yay! If you missed it, don’t forget to check out our podcast with two of the devs. :)
- Defect SDK – A lot of folks pointed this one out to me over the weekend, so I thought I’d share it with y’all. The SDK means “Spaceship Destruction Kit”, which, when you get down to it, isn’t destroying other spaceships one of the best part of space games?
- The Mandate – No, this isn’t a new romantic comedy, it’s an ambitious space sim/tactical combat thingy that looks pretty cool. Its Kickstarter goal seems pretty lofty, so I hope it makes it. Oh, there’s also a new Developer Log on YouTube.
- Elite: Dangerous – The latest newsletter is out with a new dev diary, weapon info and more. There’s also a video of David Braben providing commentary on the recently-released combat video, which I’ll also embed below.
- Salvation: Prophecy – This game is now on Steam, and is on sale for 25% off at $14.99. I really need to get around to reviewing my GamersGate copy…
- Void of Darkness – According to the game’s IndieDB page, the game’s Linux branch is now available.
- Retrobooster – The game now has a new ship model and a new UI, and you can see both in the video after the cut.
- K240 – A sequel to Utopia from 1994, which was apparently only for the Amiga, now has a PC version thanks to the folks from The Company.
- Wing Commander – The CIC has some new renderings of a Wake Escort Carrier and its hangar which looks pretty cool.
- Eterium – A new dev blog says goodbye to Vega.
- And Here the Wheel – Apparently something fantastic is coming, as well as some progress updates. ;)
Next up, we have some deals. First off, the developer of 90Edges Universe is selling a commercial version of their Universe Development Kit for however many copies have been sold, so if you’ve bought the first copy, it’ll be $1, if it’s the 5th copy, $5 and so on. Secondly, GamersGate is having a deal on the Endless Space games, wherein you can get the Emperor Edition for $10.20, the expansion Disharmony for $7.99 or both for $17.50
Finally, in related news, I just got word that Bionic Dues is going to be out soon. It’s the latest game from the folks at Arcen Games, so of course I had to pimp it a bit. :)
That’s it for today folks! Thanks for reading, and have a good one!
http://youtu.be/63-5umvnjZo http://youtu.be/V4-gyDLRMXg http://youtu.be/knWlsSso7e0