Passion vs. Sleep – Daily Dispatch for 9/11/18
I didn’t have to get up as early as I did today. I could’ve slept later and felt much more awake than I do now. Instead, I got up at an unholy hour to do a podcast about Between the Stars. Why do I do this to myself? Because I love it. I love the games, the people who make them, and my fellow gamers, whom I hope to inform with such endeavors. Man, was I wonky at the beginning of the show, too. Like, all over the place. Even with the technical difficulties we were having — why Discord’s overlays just stopped working, I’ve no idea — it ended up being a really fun, informative and enjoyable podcast in the end. Thank god I can work from home though because I’d be a wreck if I had to go into the office.
This is what we recorded this morning. If you’re unaware, occasionally we have guests on that aren’t in America (gasp)! So we do 6 AM, which is in the middle of the afternoon for many of these folks, so we can still do the show. The Kickstarter for this launches tomorrow, so check it out.
I am clearly playing this game wrong because GEEZ. Even on easy, this game kicked my ASS. I’m sure there are things I was supposed to do, like use formations or groups or whatever. That likely would’ve worked. But wow, to have the game smack me down like it did was truly disheartening. I bet you’d have done better than I.
So remember how awesome the space parts of The Long Journey Home were, and how awful the rover/planet parts were? Well, what if we took the great spaceship parts and made the planetary parts a sort of textual choose-your-own-adventure thing? That’s what Starcom: Nexus is doing, and it’s GREAT. I already have a few hours into the game, and it’s a blast. Seriously, even the shipbuilding is fun and streamlined, and I usually hate shipbuilding. This is one to watch, friends. We’ll have the dev on our podcast next month too! :)
- Greg Johnson will be doing a Reddit AMA this Thursday to talk Starflight 3!
- WC Toolbox — the program that lets you modify various aspects of Wing Commander games — has been updated with some support for Privateer! Nifty!
- Starcom: Nexus has a new dev update showing off a new trade interface.
- Star Control: Origins will be getting a soundtrack release upon the game’s launch next week.
- Endless Space 2 has launched its Renegade Fleets Update, which includes mostly new ship skins.
- Planetes has a patch that adds new parts and more.
- EVE Online’s September Release, which visually overhauls some ships and such, is now live.
- Endless Space 2 is Steam’s daily deal, but sadly it’s not as cheap as it was yesterday on Fanatical.
- Objects in Space is on sale today. Why don’t you own it yet? ;) It’s awesome and you should play it.
What I’ve Been Playing
- Door Kickers: Action Squad – We were fortunate enough to get keys for this, so we’ll be streaming it on Thursday. So far it’s quite difficult, but also fun and hilarious.
- Breathedge – This spacey survival and crafting game is wackadoo, in the best possible way. At one point you use a chicken to plug an oxygen leak. No, I’m not kidding.
- ADIOS Amigos – This game of exploration is ADORABLE. There’s even no combat, so you can relax and just make sure not to crash your little ship. I’ll be recording this one soon, because it’s silly fun.
- Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition – Never played this one before, but there was some weird argument on Discord about its DLC, so I figured I’d give it a try. FUN. I even liked the melee combat, and I usually hate melee combat in games like this. Definitely will play more.
Thanks for reading my sleepy ramblings y’all. See you tomorrow!