This is Too Awesome Not To Use…
Heh, I wonder if this is gonna become a regular thing, as I did a similar post last week. Regardless, there are some spacey game deals I wanted to let’chall know about. These include:
- BundleStars has a sale on Space Rangers HD for $12.50 for the next three days, which gets you a Steam key. They also have a Reboot Bundle which includes Space Pirates and Zombies, among other games, for $2 currently, which will go up after the first 48 hours are over, they say.
- GOG is currently having a Strategy and Action Special weekend deal which includes Space Empires IV: Deluxe for $3.99 (which isn’t bad, but I’ve seen it for cheaper elsewhere) and O.R.B. for $2.39, which is a great price for what I thought was a seriously underrated game. O.R.B. also comes with a great soundtrack as well.
That’s all I could find for now folks. Enjoy, and happy savings! ;)
That’s the Stuff…
Hey kids, as you may recall, the developers of Space Pirates and Zombies (and its recently announced sequel) were on our podcast recently, and we asked them if we could have some codes for the first game to use in a contest. Personally I always have a hard time coming up with ideas for contests like this, but in this case, Jim’s genius came through once again. ;)
Click Here for The Deets…
Hey guys, big news today! MinMax games just announced Space Pirates and Zombies 2, the highly-anticipated (at least by me ;) sequel to the original and fantastic game. This game looks to be an entire revamp of the original, with a bigger, more expansive universe, dynamic factions and much more. Here are some of the features I was quoted:
- Two hundred persistent Captains that are able to do everything the player can, including forming dynamic factions, building structures, controlling territory, and going to War.
- A true living galaxy that is not player centric. It will develop differently each game through the interactions of the agents.
- Time based galactic story events that happen whether the player is ready or not. These events add new threats and tools to deal with them. The Galaxy will need to find a new natural equilibrium each time a new disaster is unleashed.
- Randomly generated modular parts. Build the mothership that suits your play style, on the fly, in seconds. Every part has its own unique stats that contribute to the mothership. Every part has its own hull integrity and damage states. Every part is a real, working, ship component.
- Strategic ship building. The mass, location and shape of parts all matter. If a part blocks a turret, it will not fire. If a ship is too long, it will turn slowly. Too many engines will mean too little power for weapons. Every design choice counts.
- A fully physics based 3d environment where everything is destructible, takes damage from impacts, can be grabbed and even thrown at enemies with the tractor beam.
- Natural movement and controls. Movement is on a 2d plane and screen relative, much like an FPS. The combat feels like huge pirate ships battling on an ocean. Focus on tactical positioning and manage system power to unleash hell at the right moment.
- Epic ship to ship battles. Tear the enemy apart piece by piece over minutes, instead of seconds.
- Multiplayer arena modes using persistent profile based part inventories.
- Local split screen coop.
Does that not sound AMAZING? The official site has a video you can watch, which I’ve also embedded below along with the official announcement and an exclusive screenshot I was sent as an early birthday present. ;) More info will be coming in as I get it! Yay!
Continue reading “Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced!!!! Exclusive Screenshot Inside!” »
MOAR NEWS FOR YOU!
Hello my friends, and happy Wednesday! I hope y’all are more awake than I am! SOOO TIRED! However, there’s news to report, and I’m trying to do this at least regularly enough that nothing gets missed, so let’s do this thing called news!
- Star Citizen – Tomorrow, 10/10/13, is the one year anniversary of the announcement of this game, so the RSI folks will have a celebratory livestream tomorrow, as well as a sale on some ships (ouch, my wallet!), but they’re also running a photo contest. They also passed the $21 million mark, which allows for salvage operations, something I am VERY excited about. There is also a Showdown news update and a guide to the Ellis system.
- Tactical Space Command – This Mac/iOS-only game is very much akin to “Harpoon in space”, as the developer who emailed me to let me know if its existence calls it. It’s pretty cool, so check it out.
- Voindex Frontier – Here’s another game that’s new-to-me, as it were. Looks pretty cool. :)
- SkyJacker – These folks have now launched their fourth Kickstarter campaign, so let’s hope this time they succeed!
- Epic Space Game – Their Kickstarter succeeded!!! YAY! Congrats to Edward and his team!
- Lunar Flight – The official site has an update on the upcoming Oculus Rift build for y’all to gawk at.
- FTL – Over on Quarter to Three, they’re running Starship Week, and there’s a new entry looking at this game and it’s impact (don’t worry, I have some stuff over there too I’ll link to separately).
- Kerbal Space Program – A new edition of KSP Weekly is up, and word that the long-awaited 0.22 version has entered the experimental phase, which brings it that much closer to release.
- Privateer 2 – Some enterprising fans of the game have released a patch which fixes some issues with the GOG version of the game, such as the interlaced video and such. I tried it but it made my joystick go all kerbibble, so I might go without.
- Drox Operative – A new beta patch for the game fixes memory leaks and a host of other issues.
- 90Edges Universe – The official blog has a progress update on how the game is coming along.
- X-Wing – The Old Game Magazines site has an image of an original ad for the game from 1993! Cool! Certainly brings back memories, it does.
- Wing Commander – From the CIC, we get word of both a Hellcat modeled into Wing Commander Academy and a 3D model of good old Bluehair from the first two games.
- Galactose – The official site has word of a new character outline.
- Star Trek Online – We have a couple of blog entries from the developers to look at, one on comm arrays and another on the Avenger-class cruiser (which is a damned sexy ship).
- Star Wars: The Old Republic – Apparently they’re getting a 12v12 online space combat arena thingy. Whoopie.
Next up, we have several sales, including:
- First up, Groupees is having a 1C Mega Bundle, in which you can buy two or more games for a SONG, and they include all three Star Wolves games as well as Parkan II, so jump on this as they’re all awesome.
- Speaking of Star Wolves, the Indie Gala Store is having a bundle of all three games for $4.99, but the Groupees bundle is still cheaper.
- Bundle Stars is having a great Quickfire Indie Bundle which includes Space Pirates and Zombies for $3.49, which is a decent deal for the other games you also get as well.
- Finally, FireFlower games is having a Sci-Fi Sale which includes games such as Ring Runner, The Tomorrow War and, again, all Star Wolves games. The prices aren’t the greatest though, but I wanted to make y’all aware of it regardless.
Finally, in related news, the aforementioned Not on Steam Sale is over, but apparently it has a huge success. Also, the latest game from those hardworking folks at Arcen Games, Bionic Dues, is now available.
That’s it for today folks, have a great one!
90Edges Universe, drox operative, epic space game, FTL, Kerbal Space Program, Lunar Flight, Parkan II, Privateer 2, Ring Runner, skyjacker, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, star trek online, star wolves, Tactical Space Command, the tomorrow war, Voindex Frontier, wing commander, x-wing
Some Good Stuff This Weekend…
Hey guys, just chiming in real quick to let’cha know about some spacey sales going on. First, this week’s Humble Weekly Sale is pretty much every X game…ever. Seriously, all of them, for the current rate of $6. For this you also get some soundtracks, which is overall an amazing deal. The other deal is that GamersGate is having an Arcen Weekend, which includes AI War and all of its expansions. Don’t forget also the aforementioned Wing Commander Sale on GOG. Happy saving! :)
Edit: Thanks to Zeraan for also chiming in letting me know that part of Steam’s Talk Like a Pirate Day Sale includes Space Pirates and Zombies for $2.49. Thanks mate!
Remember This Nightmare? ;)
Hey folks, welcome back to the Space Game Junkie podcast! After a short break, Jim brings on one of his oldest friends, Mike, to talk about the joy of old games and the fun involved in getting them to run on newer hardware. We also go all over the place, as per usual. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we look forward to your comments below, and invite you to subscribe to us via RSS or iTunes. Thanks for listening, and enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #26: Old Men Talking Old Games” »
0x10c, Artemis, conquest frontier wars, darkstar one, distant worlds, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, Eterium, freelancer, Hardwar, Independence War, quintet, Ring Runner, Rules of Engagement 2, Space, space pirates and zombies, space rogue, Star Trek: Starfleet Command, star wars: tie fighter, starflight, starlancer, Stars!, tachyon the fringe, Wings of Saint Nezaire, x rebirth, X-Tension, x3 albion prelude
C’mere Buddy, I Need to Get Back on You! ;)
Hellllloooooooooo my beloved friends, how are you? I hope y’all are having an excellent hump day so far. On my end, I’ve not played much lately, but I did see Pacific Rim again last night, which was awesomely exhausting. If y’all haven’t seen it, you NEED to, especially on as big as screen as possible. We’re not here to talk movies, though (unless it’s Pacific Rim talk, then CHAT AWAY), but videyagames, so let’s get to it!
- Atari Properties – The big news on the minds of spacey gamers is where Atari’s various properties have landed. According to these court documents (thanks Goomich!), Wargaming is the new owner of the Master of Orion IP, while Stardock now owns the Star Control IP. You can read more on The Escapist and IncGamers about the Star Control acquisition, and there’s a post from Stardock’s Brad Wardell about the acquisition. Thanks to Blues for the links. I’m honestly not entirely sure how to feel about this news, but it’s too early to decide whether this is a good or bad thing. Stardock has said they want to start work on a Star Control reboot this year, but will it be the same? I mean, we already have the Ur-Quan Masters after all. I guess we’ll see what happens in time. What do you guys think?
- Homeworld – Over on Polygon, the Gearbox folks go into detail on how they aquired the Homeworld IP from THQ in their bankruptcy auctions.
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager – Last week I went to Slitherine and Matrix Games’ presentation at Historicon, which included a lot of info about this game. I’ll be writing my own report soon, but they’ve also posted their presentation as well, along with a video from Buzz Aldrin himself, who sadly had to cancel his appearance at the event. Lots of good stuff in there.
- Ring Runner – IGN has released a Let’s Try video of them playing the game, which I’ll also embed below. I’m currently working on a review of this one, so stay tuned.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new galactic guide to Hurston Dynamics to add some more in-universe flavor.
- Vendetta Online – There’s a new version of the game that adds high-res planets, procedural nebula backgrounds and more. They also have added Oculus Rift support to the game.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new blog post detailing some new demo races and more race information in the game for y’all to read.
- Galactose – You can now read about cruiser parts and debris in their latest blog post.
- Star Conflict – A new update entitled “New Frontiers” adds T5 level ships, new hangers and a new PvE mission.
- AI War – The latest update, entitled “More Dirty Tricks“, allows you to play some new tricks on the AI.
- Star Trek Online – There are two new entries in their Legacy of Romulus series, and they’ve also had visits from Massively and Priority One.
- Endless Space – The folks over at CheatMasters have a review of the Disharmony expansion pack, which I say with no further comment. ;)
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a new video of a station tower in the game which I’m posting only because I wanna stop being nagged about it. ;) (Not really, it looks cool, but still…) I’ll also embed the video below.
In deals, there’s another bundle to tell ya about, the Summertide Bundle from Indie Gala which includes the fantastic Space Pirates and Zombies and a ton of other games for $6.42 currently, which is a steal people.
Finally, in related news, the folks at Camel 101 — who made the fun, if flawed Gemini Wars — are making a new tactical combat game called Black Talons, and sent over a teaser trailer for y’all to check out.
That’s it for today folks. Have a great one! :)
Continue reading “Spacey Game Newsies and Dealsies 7/24/13: Getting-Back-On-The-Horse Edition” »
ai war, beyond beyaan, buzz aldrin's space program manager, Deep Space Settlement, endless space, Galactose, gemini wars, Homeworld, master of orion, Ring Runner, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, Star Conflict, star control, star trek online, Ur-Quan Masters, Vendetta Online
Freaking Yay! News!
Hellllooooo friends, and happy Friday! What a freaking WEEK this has been, so busy and full of stuff, yet I am so, SO thrilled its over. I’ll likely not get any gaming time this weekend since I’ll be in San Diego for a Transformers convention (yeah, I’m one of THOSE people ;), but I’ve gotten some good gaming in lately, what about you guys? We have some fun news and deals to finish off the week, so let’s dive in!
- Star Citizen – There’s a live stream thingy going on RIGHT NOW, and as part of that, they’ve revealed new stretch goals, a new Avenger fighter and a new website! If you have an account on the site, head over there ASAP to migrate your account from the old site to the new one. Man, the 300i is still for sale. Speaking of ships, each one costs $35,000 or more to produce, according VGN24/7. Wheeee!
- Ring Runner – According to a press release, the game will be available finally on July 9th! Yay! If you’ve don’t know why I’m excited, check out our podcast with the lead dev. :)
- Retrobooster – Terry, the lead programmer, wrote in to mention that tomorrow there’s going to be this day-long thingy called The Greenlight Supershow which showcases several games that are on greenlight including this one, Syder Arcade and GoD Factory: Wingmen. Check it out if you can, Retrobooster will be on at 10:30 PM, Syder Arcade will be on at 11:30 AM, and GoD Factory: Wingmen will be on at 5:30 PM, all Eastern time. If I was gonna be at home tomorrow, I’d totally tune in, but alas…
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – Speaking of this game, the Penny Arcade Report has an article looking at the dev team behind the game.
- Outer Wilds – Thanks to Therlun over on Broken Forum for the lead on this one. It looks like a space exploration game, but the twist is that the universe resets every 20 minutes except for your character. Love that, so I have to try it, as do you all, since y’all can download it. ;)
- Enemy Starfighter – New update, yay! This one includes some screenshots of the game’s terrain generator. Waaaaant.
- Dominium – Their blog has a lengthy post on weapons which looks like a great read.
- Star Trek Online – The latest Summer Event is now live, and focuses on the newly-released Risian resort island. Man, Risa is always trouble, I’d stay away…
- Galactose – Seems like they took our advice and posted an update! This time we get to see new art! Yay!
- Freespace Open – The folks at Hard Light are having a modding contest, and they’ve now opened it to first-time modders, so go check it out!
That’s not all folks, we have some deals on Steam today, which include:
- Space Pirates and Zombies can be played for FREE this weekend on Steam, and is freaking 80% off at only $1.99. If you’ve not played this gem of a game, GO AND DO SO NOW.
- Endless Space is having a weekend deal in Steam, and you can get the base game for $10.19 and with the new Disharmony expansion for $17.49.
- StarDrive is the daily deal on Steam today, and you can get it for 50% off at $14.99.
In related news, Space Sector has an article on the technology behind making a 4X game. Then, Brent of Beyond Beyaan fame wrote in to let us know thats some folks at American Southern University have launched the “Save Atari” project which strives to raise money through IndieGoGo to acquire the various properties on sale from Atari through it’s bankruptcy proceedings. It’ll be interesting to keep an eye on this one.
Finally, in kinda-related stuff, the dev behind the Race to Mars Kickstarter wrote in and asked me to help pimp their project, so there ya go. ;)
That’s it folks. Have an awesome weekend! :)
beyond beyaan, Dominium, endless space, enemy starfighter, freespace open, GoD Factory: Wingmen, Outer Wilds, retrobooster, Ring Runner, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, star trek online, stardrive, syder arcade
Welllllllcome to episode #16 of the Space Game Junkie podcast. This week, Jim and I have no guest and the baaaaarest thread of a topic. This results in what has to be the most random, off-topic podcast we’ve done yet. I mean what other space game podcast (is there one?) talks about space pirates, Marvel Heroes, Squirrel Girl, being renamed Paul and so on? I blame the fatigue my own self. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
We would love it if y’all would chime in about your stories of being a pirate in space games, because honestly that career path doesn’t much fit us, you know? :) We look forward to your stories, as well as your comments, below, and invite you to subscribe to us if you’ve not already. Thanks for listening, and enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #16: Pirates, Pauls and Squirrels Oh My!” »
black market, Distant Worlds: Shadows, drifter, elite, enemy starfighter, Eterium, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, flotilla, freelancer, independence war 2, Jumpgate, Kerbal Space Program, Pirate Galaxy, Space Pirates, space pirates and zombies, Space Rangers 2, space rogue, space trader, star citizen, star trek online, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, star wars galaxies, Starshatter, Trade Wars, Treasure Planet: Battle of Procyon, Void Destroyer, Wing Commander: Privateer, x3 albion prelude
Drowning Under the Tide of News…
Hellloooooo everyone, and happy Friday! This was a really nutty week for me, hence the lack of news until today! I’ve got a WEEK’S worth of stuff to get through, so let’s DO THIS! ;)
(Sorry if the news pieces appear a bit disjointed, I had to go through between seventy to eighty news pieces out of order ;)
- Distant Worlds: Shadows – The game came out yesterday, and there’s already a new patch to fix some crashing problems that users have found since release. Das24680 also has five new videos of the game showing off more gameplay. Youtube user Pewpewchewchew also has a Let’s Play video of his own. These will all be embedded below.
- SkyJacker – There’s some new photos over on their facebook showing off the disassembly of a Shaarkarians mothership. They also have dissasembly videos of a Shaarkarians mothership, a Rak-Tak-Bashogee battleship and a Rak-Tak-Bashogee cruiser.
- Star Citizen – We have some new wallpapers showing off the planet Tyrol, part 8 of the writer’s guide, a Congress Now news update, a sneak peak at the hanger module and an interview with network and server programmer Tom Sawyer (embedded below as well). They also just announced an upcoming livingstreaming event in late June. Finally, Forbes did a video interview with Chris Roberts, which is also embedded below.
- Retrobooster – The developer recorded a video demo for the folks at IGN, which I can’t embed. The demo is a ton of fun, by the by. ;)
- Kerbal Space Program – Version 0.20 of the game has been released and adds things like chairs and other parts! Yay chairs! ;) There’s also a new merchandise store! I want a mug.
- Elite: Dangerous – There’s a new fiction diary entry over on their Kickstarter, and the video will be embedded below. Thanks to Wild Bill for the tip!
- Drox Operative – In the midst of making an expansion, Steven has released a beta patch for the game. This new patch has a ton of little fixes.
- Star Trek Online – The new Legacy of Romulus expansion went live yesterday! Yay! There’s also a dev blog on Dilithium 101.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has word of a super-cap and dreadnaught battle in Venal and a brawl in Delve, both of which sound expensive. There’s also a video and interview regarding Campigenus, a twenty-four minute fan movie you can see here (and embedded below), and a report of the battle of T-8UOF.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch that adds a practice mode and a new sector, among other things.
- AI War – A new patch entitled, “Tumbleweeds In The Stars“, adds a new minor faction in preparation for the next expansion, Vengeance of the Machine.
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – Thanks to IndieGames.com for making me aware of this multiplayer battle arena space game that just launched a Kickstarter. Looks nifty.
- Starlight Inception – There’s a new Kickstarter update showing off how the game is coming along, as well as a new teaser trailer, which will be embedded below.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new version of the game that adds awards and medals, jackets, new console commands and more.
- Aeon Command – Part 2 of the dev’s post mortem is now up.
- Lunar Flight – The multiplayer update — which includes a ton of stuff — is now up on Steam. I totally need to revisit this game.
- Strike Suit Zero – The mod dev tool called XedMod is now available, as well as some mods for the game. I can’t embed the video, however. :/ The Heroes of the Fleet DLC is also out now.
- 90Edges Universe – I was contacted by the dev of this project to let me know it exists. :) (I LOVE that, by the way.) It’s very early right now, but it looks like a neat open universey buildy thing. Check it out.
- Limit Theory – There’s a new dev post every day on their forums, if you’ve not checked it out recently.
- Infinite Pixels – There’s a new alpha trailer over on their IndieDB page, which I’ll also be embedded below. There are also posts on planets and co-op gameplay.
- Star Made – There’s been so much new news since my last update, including a new webserver, several new builds and more, that I’ll just direct you to their news page if you don’t mind. ;)
- Dominium – There’s a new video on their Kickstarter showing off some combat that sadly I can’t embed. It looks fun though. :)
- Void Space – I found this Kickstarter about a space mining simulator? Space AND mining? I love both of those things! Sold! (Maybe, if he updates his campaign at all, which he hasn’t yet, and that is a pet peeve of mine. TALK TO US DAMN YOU! ;)
- StarDrive – Some more reviews from CalmDownTom, Pure News and DMJared on YouTube. (Embedded below).
OH MY GOD that was a lot. But wait, we also have DEALS! Besides the two mentioned yesterday, we also have the following:
FINALLY, we’re done. That took FOREVER to put together, but I love y’all, so y’all are worth it. ;) Have a great weekend!
Videos Right This Way!
90Edges Universe, Aeon Command, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, epic space game, eve online, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gemini wars, GoD Factory: Wingmen, gratuitous space battles, Infinite Pixels, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, Lunar Flight, retrobooster, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, space pirates and zombies, Spaceforce: Rogue Universe, star citizen, Star Conflict, star made, star ruler, star trek online, stardrive, starlight inception, strike suit zero, Void Space, x3 reunion, zigfrak