It’s Just Piling Up Today…
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay friends, how are you? Welcome back from the weekend, and happy Monday! I hope y’all are having a great day! I know I am because there’s just so much spacey gameyness going on! ;) Let’s dive in, shall we?
- Limit Theory – A new Limit Theory Prototype has been released, and while only those who pledged at the $75 level and above during the Kickstarter can PLAY it, there’s a video tutorial of it we can watch at least while we wait for beta access. It’ll also be embedded below. I wanna play this noooooooow. *weeps*
- Star Citizen – The Aurora fighter has been fully detailed in a lovely new brochure, and there’s a sale on the craft as well, this week only. It’s selling well enough for there to be a thank you post with more info, art and so on. I’m very tempted to get one…
- EVE Online – The Mittani has just a deluge of reports from FanFest, including the keynote, CCP Presents, art developments, CSM8 winners, as well as other articles covering the great fuel crunch and Heydieles and Old Man Star changing hands. On the dev blog, there are articles covering resource rebalancing in Odyssey as well as a resource rebalancing as well. Then, according to multiple sources, there will be an EVE Online TV and comic book series using player-submitted stories. Wow. Finally, some CCP programmers made a first-person dogfighting game called EVR that looks pretty damned cool.
- Infinite Space 3 – The good folks at Digital Eel made their Kickstarter goal! Congrats to them!!!
- StarDrive – Hold the Line has an interview with Dan DiCicco about the game.
- Void of Darkness – Seems the main dev is running into some coding problems. ;)
- Ring Runner – There’s a lovely preview of the game over on Greenlit Gaming. This reminds me that I need to add this to my preview queue…
- StarLife – There’s a preview article covering colinies, events and regions for y’all to dig into.
- Dominion – After testing a new pitch, these folks are gonna launch a new Kickstarter campaign on May 4th. Best of luck to ‘em!S
- StarMade – There’s a new post detailing startup sync and missile changes.
- Drox Operative – The folks at Indie Game Magazine has a Let’s Try video of the game, which I’ll embed below.
- Epic Space Game – A new update brings smoother mouse zooming, changes to jump drives and a lot more.
- OreSome – In a recent IndieDB post, apparently multiplayer is being experimented with. You can now also buy the game on GamersGate.
- And Here the Wheel – The author of this novel based on Elite: Dangerous has a progress update for us all to read.
Whew, that’s a mouthful right there, but we also have deals! These include:
Then, in somewhat related news, some of the developers from the original Homeworld have launched their new RTS, Hardware: Shipbreakers, which sadly doesn’t appear to take place in space. Boo. Finally, SpaceSector has posted its latest list of the Kickstarters that made it and didn’t, which is a fun read.
That’s it for now folks. Have an awesome day!!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 4/29/13: Back to Work!” »
And Here the Wheel, drox operative, elite: dangerous, epic space game, eve online, galactic civilizations, gemini wars, Homeworld, Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars, limit theory, oresome, ring runner, star citizen, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, stardrive, starlife, starmade, the tomorrow war, void of darkness
It All Started Here…
No, seriously. ;) This week Jim and I sit down with Iikka Keranen and Rich Carlson of Digital Eel games (who first met while working on Daikatana, no lie), the folks who created the Infinite Space series of Starflight-like roguelikes Strange Adventures in Infinite Space and Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space. They have a Kickstater underway for their third game in the series, Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars, so we thought we’d bring ‘em on and grill them with deep, probing questions about the game. Ultimately, we went all over the place, but we had a fun time, and we hope you will too.
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we invite you to leave your comments below and in the forums, and you can find the show notes below. Thanks as always for listening, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #10: Infinite Spaces and Small Worlds” »
endless space, escape velocity nova, FTL, Homeworld, Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars, Rules of Engagement, star conrol 2, starflight, starship kingdom, starships unlimited, starships unlimited divided galaxies, strange adventures in infinite space, trek73, weird worlds return to infinite space, wing commander 2, wing commander prophecy, wing commander: academy, wing commander: armada, Wing Commander: Privateer
Hellooooo everyone, and welcome to Monday! I’m off today on account of getting a tooth removed, so I’m writing part of this before I leave for my little operation. I’ll write the rest when I get back, likely on drugs, to add to the entertainment. ;) Sorry for the lack of news later last week, the week totally got away from me. That said, let’s get into some newwwwwws bitches! ;)
- Homeworld – Gearbox has purchased the IP.
Apparently, according to PC Gamer (and other sources, but I saw it there first), someone — and we don’t know who yet — snagged the Homeworld IP in a recent auction of THQ’s assets. Sadly, it wasn’t to the teamPixel folks who’d been trying to hard to raise the funds. Hopefully it ended up in good hands, but we don’t know yet, sadly.
- Infinite Space 3 – There’s some new art and a combat video over on their Kickstarter page. We’re also gonna be interviewing some of the folks behind this game for this week’s podcast, so stay tuned! :)
- Void of Darkness – A couple of updated for your reading pleasure. First, a forum update, followed by a role-playing update, which is nifty.
- StarMade – There are some new server stability fixes and the fixing of a ghost bug.
- ScrumbleShip – According to the dev’s Kickstarter and IndieDB pages, there will be a new launcher for the game called ScrumbleGet. This I like.
- Ring Runner – According to a post on their Kicksarter, their lon-linear arch is nearly complete, which has me all aflutter, as I love non-linear anything. There’s also an interview with their Dryere brothers — the lead devs of the game — in The Leader, which is a good read (based on what I skimmed anyway). ;)
- EVE Online – Loooots of stuff recently. First, from the official site blogs, there’s news of a single sign in for account management, a spotlight on EVE Backstage, and info on the client and EULA modifications. Then from The Mittani, they have articles on the burning of Jita, the death of Aeon, ten years of GARPA and an epic brawl in Ardia which resulted in the loss of ten capital ships.
- Star Rift – Thanks to Goomich over on Steam for letting me know about this new game on Greenlight. It looks like a first/third-person space combat/trading game, and you can learn more from the official site or from the trailer, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- Star Trek Online – There are dev blogs on Romulan ship progression and a revamp to the UI, as well as a video showing off a Legacy Pack, which I’ll embed below.
- Icarus Ascends – The dev for this game came onto our forum to let us know about this game, which looks pretty cool. Go check it out! I’ll embed the video below.
- Escaping Titan – Congrats to the team on their super successful Kickstarter, which brought in over 300% of its goal.
- Infinity – Rock, Paper Shotgun has a nice article summimg up where the game is now after all this time.
- Beyond Beyaan – There are two posts covering UI and data in the game.
- StarDrive – According to a post on RTS Guru, the game will be available this Friday, April 26th. They also have a preview to boot. I’m working on my own preview too, so please stay tuned. :)
- Star Conflict – The latest update to the game brings along sector conquests with it. Nifty!
- Vendetta Online – The game has now been officially released for the iPad! One more reason I wanna get one someday! ;)
- Star Citizen – Part three of the Writer’s Guide is now up, and you can also watch a video with team member Adam Poole, which I’ll also embed below.
But wait, there’s more, we also have some deals to gawk at!!
Finally, the dev of Lex Laser Saves the Galaxy, Again asked me to pimp his game on Kickstarter, so here ya go, and you can see some lovely concept ship art by Philipp Erkinger at the Concept Ships blog.
That’s it folks, now I’m gonna go crawl into a ball and hope this pain goes away soon. ;) Have a great day!
Continue reading “Space Game News and Deals 4/18-22/13: The Owwie Edition” »
beyond beyaan, dawnstar, endless space, escaping titan, eve online, Galaxy on Fire II HD, gimbal, Homeworld, Icarus Ascends, Infinite Space 3, infinity, Mass Effect 2, ring runner, ScrumbleShip, star citizen, Star Conflict, Star Rift, star trek online, stardrive, starmade, Vendetta Online, void of darkness
Just as I was writing today’s news digest, this came through the wire (thanks Shellfishguy on Quarter to Three for making me aware of it). According to this post on the Gearbox website, they’ve acquired the IP to Homeworld. According to the short post:
Gearbox Software has prevailed as the highest bidder in the acquisition of the Homeworld franchise from THQ. Brian Martel, Gearbox Software’s Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic’s brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition.
Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox’s interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today’s leading digital platforms.
I’m not sure how to react to this. What do y’all think?
You Magnificent Son of A Bitch…
Welcome to episode #09 of the Space Game junkie Podcast! In this episode, Jim and I bring on Gamers With Jobs CEO Shawn “Certis” Andrich to discuss if space games are just “chasing a dot”, as he called them previous. In a surprise — to me at least, and pleasantly so — the discussion evolves and turns into an intervention where we discuss how space action games have become kinda samey in terms of lack of space, lack of place and so on to help Shawn find some new games. It was a fun, spirited discussion. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
We talked about a looooooot of games, and you can find links to all of them below in the show notes. We hope you enjoy the show, and invite you to comment here or on the forum, as well as use our RSS or iTunes feeds to subscribe to us. Thanks for listening, and have a great day! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #09: Chasing Dots and Games” »
dangerous, darkstar one, diaspora, drox operative, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, freelancer, freespace 2, freespace open, Frontier: Elite II, FTL, galaxy on fire, Homeworld, independence war 2, limit theory, Rules of Engagement, skyjacker, Space Rangers 2, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, Star Wars: X-Wing, star wars: x-wing alliance, Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Starshatter, strike suit zero, wing commander, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn, x series
Pew to the Power of Pew!
Welcome to this week’s episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This time Jim and I talk to Paul Tobia, or Rorschach on several forums, who is something of an expert on the Sword of the Stars series. I was fairly “meh” on Sword of the Stars II a little while back, so we asked Paul on to help convince us (and hopefully, you folks), that the game is worth our time.
Podcast: Play in new window
We hope you enjoy this week’s episode, and as always, invite your comments either below or on the forum. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #07: Getting Sold on Swords and Stars” »
endless space, Galactose, Homeworld, homeworld 2, homeworld cataclysm, Kerbal Space Program, northstar, rogue system, sins of a solar empire, star citizen, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon, wing commander
Glug Glug SO MUCH NEWS Glug
Hey folks, happy Wednesday! Sorry for the severe delay in, well, nearly everything, but I’ve had a HELLUVA week. I was out of town most of the weekend and had to put in several extra hours at work so I could take some time off today, but it’s all for a good reason. ;) Now I’m back in town and kinda rested up, and there’s a TON of news to go through, so let’s get to it…
- Star Citizen – There’s an update on the Clean Shot Shipping saga, a screenshot of a base head (no, really), and a video showcasing Sandi Gardiner Cloud Imperium’s VP of Marketing, which I’ll embed below the cut.
- Rogue System – There’s a new video showing off clips of combat and discussing the AI which will be embedded below. There are also updates on his Kickstarter talking about core ship systems and a new $150 tier.
- Homeworld – The teamPixel folks have no also launched a Kickstarter for their Homeworld Touch and Homeworld 3 pitches, and have video of the Touch version in action that I’ll embed below.
- Endless Space – According to their latest dev blog, the Virtual Awakening add-on will be released on March 11th. The post also has some other tibits about the expansion as well. There are also posts on new exploration events and new victory warnings.
- NASA Game Jam – According to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, the folks at NASA are a hosting a game jam this coming weekend to make games about space and science! Can’t wait to see what comes out of it. :)
- Drox Operative – There’s a new beta batch that alters Shadow cloaking, fixes bombs and other little fixes. There’s also a new review on Gaming Trend.
- Ring Runner – Sadly they didn’t win The Next Game Boss, but lead programmer Enrique Dryere thanks us for our support. There’s also a new video showing off ship customization which looks REALLY helpful to someone like me. ;) There’s also a video of an exclusive multiplayer reveal on MaskedGamer and one of the space city alpha build. These will all be embedded below. Finally there’s a preview of the game over on Indie Statik.
- Space Rangers HD – Thanks for Puce Moose on Gamers with Job for translating a Russian Tweet from the devs stating the release date for the game will be March 15th! Yay!
- Void of Darkness - There’s a new dev blog post on interface and combat notes. They also have a new combat test video, which I’ll embed below.
- Starsector – Eurogamer has a nice little preview of the game.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has a great article on revisiting bounty hunting one about loving faction war and one about music to play in the game. There’s also a new video showcasing the massive Battle of Asakai, which I’ll embed below.
- Star Conflict – The Mittani also has a review of this game, which I should actually play some more.
- AI War – The latest patch, called “Nemesis of the Dubious Honor“, deals with champion AI and other things.
- StarLife – There are new posts showcasing some music, diplomacy and a custom race screen.
- Strike Suit Zero – As I said in the most recent podcast, Born Ready Games released a massive patch that adds checkpoint saves, difficulty settings, a cockpit view and revises the targeting. I might actually play this again. ;)
- Kinetic Void – There’s a new update on their Kickstarter page showing off some of the game’s new art, which looks lovely. There’s also a development update I somehow missed. :/ Sorry folks.
- Space Explorer – The owner of the SolCommand site let us know that a user named “Leocesar” is working on a new game, which looks awesomely Homeworldesque, and you can see a video of it after the cut. ;) You can read about it also on the Unity forums. They also have some new models to be used in your upcoming space games. ;)
- StarMade – There’s a new blog post on IndieDB about preloading surrounding sectors, which sounds like an awesome idea.
- Starflight II – The CRPG Addict has begun his extensive look at the game, which I can’t wait to see more of.
- FreeOrion – Thanks to Free Gamer for letting us know that a new version of FreeOrion has recently been released, which improves the AI, includes many GUI enhancements and so on. There are also some YouTube vids showing off the game, the playlist to which I’ll embed below.
- Dominion – There’s a new piece of concept art on their website.
- Kerbal Space Program - There’s a new fan video showing us the story of Kerballo 13. ;) It’ll also be embedded below.
And you thought we were done?! HAH! We still have some deals to go over! These include:
ALMOST THERE. You can now but an unofficial Serenity LEGO set, which looks amazing. FINALLY, there’s an amazing article by John Shafer about how diplomacy works in his 4X game that I’d LOVE to see adapted to space 4X games.
THAT’S it. I need a drink. Or several. *collapse*
This Way for a BOATLOAD if Videos…
ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, beat hazard ultra, dominion, drox operative, endless space, eve online, Homeworld, Kerbal Space Program, kinetic void, miner wars 2081, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, rogue system, space explorer, Space Rangers HD A War Apart, star citizen, Star Conflict, starflight 2 trade routes of the cloud nebula, starlife, starmade, starsector, strike suit zero, void of darkness
We Need a Better Logo…
Hey everyone, welcome to episode #02 of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I try to become more streamlined and efficient (me especially), yet still discuss some news, some games, and our main topic, the best music from spacey games!
Podcast: Play in new window
All the notes for the show are below, and feel free to comment on the show either here in the comments or on our forum. Thanks for listening, and don’t forget if you want to subscribe, you can use the icons in the sidebar on the left for our RSS feed or iTunes page. Thanks again! Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #02: Give Me a Ship and a Song to Steer Her By…” »
conquest frontier wars, distant worlds, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, eve online, freelancer, freespace 2, FTL, galactic civilizations ii, Homeworld, really big sky, star ruler, star wars: tie fighter, Terminus, veil of darkness, wing commander, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn
Hellooo everyone, and happy hump day! Not a ton of news today, but there’s one story that has everyone buzzing, so we’ll start with that…
In deals, there’s only one today, that being Strike Suit Zero for $13.99 over on Green Man Gaming. In related news, awesome abandonware site Abandonia — which is a treasure trove for folks like me — is going through a pedge drive of sorts, so check it out and see if they’re worth kicking a few bucks. Finally, there is a lovely ship from Dead Space 3 over on the Concept Ships blog by artist Jehan Choo.
That’s it folks! I know right? Not even videos! Have a great day y’all!
More Chit Chat
Hello, and welcome to episode 01 of the SGJ Podcast. Join Jim from the Bad Movie Podcast and me as we try to adapt something of a format in order to have some more focus and structure! ;) We talk about some news, some games we’re playing, and our topic for this week, which games that are still worth playing even though their graphics and UI are on the archaic side. We also look at the opposite side of the coin, games that have held up well over the years.
Podcast: Play in new window
We also have an iTunes page now, as well as our RSS feed! Yay! Thank you for listening, and please find our show notes under the cut. :) Also, since I’m still pretty new to this podcasting thing (it’s old hat to Jim, thankfully), please don’t hesitate to give me constructive criticism on how I can improve my performance either in the comments below or in the forum. :) Hope the length is okay with y’all, but again, new to this stuff, still trying to be efficient. ;) Thanks again! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #01: Graphics vs. UI vs. Gameplay! FIGHT!” »
beyong beyaan, drox operative, elite, endless space, freelancer, Homeworld, homeworld 2, homeworld cataclysm, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos, Kerbal Space Program, privateer gemini gold, rogue system, Rules of Engagement, Rules of Engagement 2, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, space rogue, Star Command, star fleet 1, star fleet 2, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, star wars: tie fighter, star wars: x-wing alliance, starflight, starflight 2 trade routes of the cloud nebula, starlander, wing commander, wing commander ii, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, wing commander iv the price of freedom, wing commander prophecy