Welllllllcome to episode #16 of the Space Game Junkie podcast. This week, Jim and I have no guest and the baaaaarest thread of a topic. This results in what has to be the most random, off-topic podcast we’ve done yet. I mean what other space game podcast (is there one?) talks about space pirates, Marvel Heroes, Squirrel Girl, being renamed Paul and so on? I blame the fatigue my own self. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
We would love it if y’all would chime in about your stories of being a pirate in space games, because honestly that career path doesn’t much fit us, you know? :) We look forward to your stories, as well as your comments, below, and invite you to subscribe to us if you’ve not already. Thanks for listening, and enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #16: Pirates, Pauls and Squirrels Oh My!” »
black market, Distant Worlds: Shadows, drifter, elite, enemy starfighter, Eterium, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, flotilla, freelancer, independence war 2, Jumpgate, Kerbal Space Program, Pirate Galaxy, Space Pirates, space pirates and zombies, Space Rangers 2, space rogue, space trader, star citizen, star trek online, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, star wars galaxies, Starshatter, Trade Wars, Treasure Planet: Battle of Procyon, Void Destroyer, Wing Commander: Privateer, x3 albion prelude
Yes, You Read Right. News. ;)
Helllooooooooo my good friends. How are y’all doin’? Sorry about missing posting the news yesterday, just been a bit crazy around here, but good! Spent time with both X3: Albion Prelude and Distant Worlds: Shadows, so expect stuff on that soon (once I have time to actually write it up), and recorded a podcast to talk about Dominium, which you’ll hear soon. Now, onto the news!
- Distant Worlds: Shadows – OMG, apparently we can talk about it now. How do I know this? ;) There’s a new preview from Space Sector, as well as several new videos from Das24680 (LOVE that guy) showing off the game (which will also be embedded below). I’ve been able to dive in myself recently, so I’ll have my preview up within the next couple of days, as it comes out next week!!!
- EVE Online – Lots of news for this game. First, from the official site, we have dev blogs on hacking in Odyssey as well as planetary conquest changes. From The Mittani, we have more articles covering Odyssey, namely naval battleship rebalancing, dual character training and exploration, as well as a storyline primer for May, 2013.
- Dominium – This game used to be called Dominion, it’s been renamed after getting a C&D from another game of the same name, and is now called Dominium. Other updates cover DRM (or lack thereof), a new station, the Pengari 40 race, and another concept ship. Stay tuned for our podcast with the lead dev soon. :)
- StarDrive – Holy hell, it’s a deluge of reviews!! We have ‘em from IncGamers, BagoGames, Gamespot Australia, IGN, The Tech Scoop, SnackBar Games, VGU, The Page of Reviews, GameInformer, Press2Reset,Overclocker’s Club and GamersGlobal (in German). Wheeeeew, I’m out of virtual breath.
- Star Citizen – A bevy of recent updates, including part six of their writer’s guide, concept art of the planet Armitage, analysys of a Vanduul warship, an in-game ad for the Omni-Bel Ship Dealership and an update to the user support system. Away from the main site, we have two videos of Chris Roberts playing with the Razer Edge, a hotspot video and a full-length video, both of which will be embedded below. Don’t why the different names, they’re both around eight minutes in length.
- Star Trek Online – There have been three new updates discussing the Legacy of Romulus expansion. The first covers Romulan Warbirds stats, the second looks at warp cores, and the final at console set bonuses. Whatever that means. ;)
- Strike Suit Infinity – There’s a new review up from IncGamers.
- Void of Darkness – Two new videos, showing all weapons and one showing cluster bombs. Both with also be embedded below.
- Quintet – Their Android Kickstarter made its goal, so it’ll be coming to Android! Woohoo!
- Artemis – In similar news, this bridge simulation software IS now available for Android. Woohoo! ;)
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new progress update that talks about how…progress on the game is going. ;)
- Retrobooster – There’s a new updated demo out with a bunch of new bug fixes. I really need to give this a whirl again, now that I have a gamepad. :)
- AI War – There’s a new update entitled “So I Rewired It” which contains work going into the next major revision of the game, version 7.0. They’re calling it a “foundational upheavel”.
- Icarus Ascends – These guys have their own website now! Yay!
- Galaxial – There’s a new update on ship fitting, which looks nifty.
- And Here the Wheel – There’s a new podcast episode up by the author of the official novel of Elite: Dangerous. Check it out.
Whew, that’s a heckuva lot of news, but we’re not done! We also have DEALS!
- The folks behind Show me The Games are having a huge sale, which you go to their site and get codes for discounts. This includes:
- As part of a larger Deep Silver Sale, you can get these games on Green Man Gaming for a discount (the deals aren’t available in my region, so I apologize, but I can’t see the prices):
- Green Man Gaming also has an EVE Online starter pack for $4.99
Finally, in unrelated news, the Kickstarter for CDF Ghostship has begun. The dev is a really nice guy who frequents our forums, so I wanted to do him a solid. ;)
Thanks for reading guys and gals, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 5/10-14/13: The Very, Very Late Edition” »
ai war fleet command, And Here the Wheel, Artemis, beat hazard, beyond beyaan, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, elite: dangerous, Evochron Mercenary, Icarus Ascends, quintet, retrobooster, smugglers v, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, star trek online, stardrive, Strike Suit Infinity, void of darkness, x3 albion prelude
Heeeeyyy guys, how y’all doin’? I’m off again today, so I’ve got some time to put some news together. Now there’s a LOT of videos today, which will all be under the cut, as well as some new announcement thingies. Let’s light this fire, shall we?! ;)
- Strike Suit Zero – First off, the devs have announced Strike Suit Infinity, which is basically the game stripped down to a pure survival mode. Anyone who backed their Kickstarter about $150 gets it, the rest of us get discounts. Pretty cool. :) There’s also a new review of the game over on (who’s your) Gaming-Daddy.com. ;)
- X-Rebirth – There’s a new video showing us how the game calculates paths. Nifty stuff. :)
- Evochron Mercenary – There are eight (count ‘em, EIGHT) new tutorial videos showing off new modes such as the planetary mechs and more. You can see videos covering ship control and physics, navigation and system travel, inventory management and tading, contracts and missions, the shipyard and weapon lab, deploying and building, mining and terrain walkers and space combat and combat systems by either clicking the links, or viewing their embedded versions beneath the cut below.
- Drox Operative – There’s a new review of the game over on leetNEET (yes, that’s the site’s name). ;)
- Star Citizen – There’s a pretty big customer service update over on their site covering a lot of various, yet important, questions.
- Aeon Command – The folks behind this game, Bat Country Games, have a new dev blog talking about both Aeon Command and some tidbits on their upcoming game, which I hope is also in space. ;)
- EVE Online – The Mittani has a post about destroying outposts.
- Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger – This, along with a bunch of other games, are now available for the Mac when purchased from GOG.com.
Finally, we have a couple of deals, which include:
That’s it for today folks. Enjoy! I’m gonna go watch those Evochron videos and try to dive back into the game my own self. Have a great day!
Continue reading “Space Game News and Deals 4/23/13: Holy Crap, Videos!” »
You Magnificent Son of A Bitch…
Welcome to episode #09 of the Space Game junkie Podcast! In this episode, Jim and I bring on Gamers With Jobs CEO Shawn “Certis” Andrich to discuss if space games are just “chasing a dot”, as he called them previous. In a surprise — to me at least, and pleasantly so — the discussion evolves and turns into an intervention where we discuss how space action games have become kinda samey in terms of lack of space, lack of place and so on to help Shawn find some new games. It was a fun, spirited discussion. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
We talked about a looooooot of games, and you can find links to all of them below in the show notes. We hope you enjoy the show, and invite you to comment here or on the forum, as well as use our RSS or iTunes feeds to subscribe to us. Thanks for listening, and have a great day! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #09: Chasing Dots and Games” »
dangerous, darkstar one, diaspora, drox operative, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, freelancer, freespace 2, freespace open, Frontier: Elite II, FTL, galaxy on fire, Homeworld, independence war 2, limit theory, Rules of Engagement, skyjacker, Space Rangers 2, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, Star Wars: X-Wing, star wars: x-wing alliance, Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Starshatter, strike suit zero, wing commander, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn, x series
The News is Back in Hand…
Hey guys, I’m back, kinda! Stiilllll feeling under the weather, but decidedly more human than I have in a week. Yay! To that end, I’m gonna go over the highlights of the news from the past week because I have neither the time or the energy to list eeeeverything, and will try to resume normal news posting tomorrow. Here we go!
- Drox Operative – Apparently there’s an expansion coming! Yay! If it’s as good as Demon War was for Din’s Curse, it’s gonna be amaaaaaazing.
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager – This was finally and formally announced last week, and I can’t WAIT to learn more.
- Angular Velocity – This is an upcoming game similar to the classic SubSpace that I was just informed about, and it looks cool.
- Predestination – There’s a new blog entry detailing the new colony system that looks pretty cool.
- Deep Space Settlement – Over on the game’s forums there’s a detailed entry on modding.
- EVE Online – Apparently Retribution 1.1 will be deployed on February 19th. On the official site, there are blogs on upcoming ship skill changes, recruitment changes and a new story from CCP Gnauton. On The Mittani, they have news of a new Goonswarm newbie guide.
- Evochron Mercenary – There’s a new version of the game that adds lots of little enhancements and bug fixes, according to Blues.
- Spacewar! – The Verge did a great article and video on the game.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s an interview with the developer over on Kickstarter Conversations.
- Lunar Flight – There’s a new video of multiplayer being tested, which I’ll embed below.
- Wayward Terran Frontier – This is a game I was just clued in on, and you can see a recent dev video after the cut below.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new Zelda parody video, at least I think that’s what it is…
- Starsector – A rare new update with lots of concept drawings of a “Hound Hangar” that look really neat.
- Vendetta Online – They now are on Steam Greenlight, so go vote for ‘em!
Finally in non-game-specific news, Star Sector has a new article focusing on empires and races in 4X games.
That’s it for now folks. Tomorrow I should be able to start covering everything again, but I wanted to get these bits out to you at least. Thanks for visiting, and have a great day!
Continue reading “Space Game News 2/5-12/13 Highlights: The Almost Human Edition…” »
angular velocity, beyond beyaan, buzz aldrin's space program manager, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, Lunar Flight, predestination, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, spacewar!, starsector, Vendetta Online, wayward terran frontier
So. Much. News!
Haaaaay everyone, happy Monday! Also, in the U.S., let’s take a moment to remember the amazing man that was Martin Luther King Jr., for I know I wish he was still here with us. In happier news, it’s my staycation! WOOOOO! Sorry I didn’t post on Friday, but I had a CRAPTON of stuff I had to do that day before leaving work, so this is a catch up edition of the news, and there’s aplenty of it, so let’s get started!
- I just wanna help push the latest Skyjacker kickstarter, as it has four days left and I’d REALLY like ‘em to meet their goal this time. ;) You can also read little article Rock, Paper Shotgun wrote up on ‘em, as well as my Q&A with the devs from way back. Please give if you can. :)
- The Vendetta Online folks have launched their own Kickstarter to help fund the creation of an iPad version of the game as well as the latest major revision to the existing game. Speaking of the existing game, there’s a new update with a bunch of fixes.
- According to a post on the Kinetic Void Kickstarter page, the Kinetic Void folks are planning for the first alpha to be available hopefully around mid-February, with a beta to follow in April. Yay!!!
- In a press release, the Miner Wars 2081 folks have detailed a new patch which adds an offline mode, a cheat mode and numerous bug fixes. They also have a lengthy topic on the new patch over on Steam which goes into more detail.
- The Galaxial blog has a huge new update talking about color variations for asteroids and sectors, railguns and optimizations to their rendering.
- Thanks to 4xgamer for pointing out that there’s a new Star Lords alpha available for your downloading pleasure. Dunno how I missed that.
- I also don’t know how I missed a new patch for Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, but thankfully Blue’s News didn’t. ;) I thought I was on these people’s email lists or something. ;)
- There’s a new update on the StarMade blog talking about its new faction system.
- There’s some lovely new wallpaper for y’all to download over on the Star Conflict site. They also have a new patch which improves corporations.
- The Ring Runner folks have added Tom Servo of Mystery Science 3000 to their payroll, apparently. ;)
- The folks at TruePCGaming have posted their review of Drox Operative (which I’ll be getting to this week I SWEAR). ;)
- Over on their forums, the Amplitude folks have posted where multiplayer stands in Endless Space.
- The folks at IGN have a Let’s Try Video of Zigfrak, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- There’s a new update for Evochron Mercenary on the official site (you just download the whole kit and kaboodle and install it over your existing installation, FYI), which apparently helps with frame rate issues and a bunch of other stuff.
- The IndieDB page for OreSome has a list of the latest patches, as well as news of a preview over on Dad’s Gaming Addiction.
- A new EVE Online deb blog talks about the new duelng feature.
- There’s a new story series called “The Lost Generation” over on the Star Citizen website, and the first issue just launched.
- There’s a new update on the Star Command Kickstarter talking about why the gamehas been delayed.
- According to a new post on the SlipSpace Kickstarter, the game will now support the GameStick thingy.
- Over on Twitter, Celsius Game Studios has a new screenshot of an Egret in Drifter for us to gawk at.
- Finally in spacey gaming news, there are some new concept art shots of Edge of Space over on the game’s forum.
There’s also some non-direct space gaming news from folks related to space gaming, such as:
That’s it! Thanks for your time and patience folks, and have an awesome day. :)
drifter, drox operative, edge of space, endless space, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, gratuitous space battles, Homeworld, kinetic void, miner wars 2081, oresome, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, skyjacker, slipspace, star citizen, Star Command, Star Conflict, star lords, starmade, strike suit zero, sword of the stars, Vendetta Online, weird worlds return to infinite space, zigfrak
Some News to End Your Week!
Haaaaaaaay guuuuuys, happy Friday! So sorry about missing yesterday, but it was a bit wackadoo up in here, so I’ve got a double dose of newsiness today, along with some deals. Let’s finish off the week with a bunch of fun! Wheee!
- Thanks to Space Sector for letting us know about a new spacey game called Terrestrial Domination on Kickstarter. I’ll embed the pitch video below, because apparently you can do that now (is that a new thing? It looks like a new thing).
- Over on the Kickstarter for Skyjacker (which I’m not sure if it’s SkyJacker or Skyjacker because they always SPELL IT IN ALL CAPS which kinda drives me nuts), they have an update with new reward tiers and wallpapers.
- RTS Guru has a fan-created video of concept map art for Galcon 2, which I’ll be embedding below.
- Over on the FTL forums, some awesome person created a Lego Kestrel, which needs to go on sale immediately so I can buy one.
- According to the Lunar Flight website, the Steam community hub now has a bunch of tips for new pilots, which I need to get to reading so I can stop crashing this crazy thing.
- The cool spacey miney gamey thing OreSome is now available on Desura for $3.99. I should snag myself a copy soon.
- There are reviews of Drox Operative over on Capsule Computers, Space Sector and Video Game Writers. Yes, yes, I know I need to write mine, back off. ;)
- 4xgamer has a new column entitled “eXposed” which looks at forgotten 4X games from the past, starting with GalactiCards, which isn’t even on my list! Shame on me! Even *I* missed that one. ;)
- The Kickstarter for Slipspace has a new update with some new…updates from the team.
- According to VGN247, there’s now a planned Mac version of Elite: Dangerous.
- The Ring Runner Kickstarter has an update with a tentative release schedule and some other tidbits.
- Jon Shafer has a new article on turn-based vs. real-time game design that sadly mentions Master of Orion 3.
- Finally, sites are making preditions for 2013 which includes some space games! Rock, Paper Shotgun mentions Strike Suit Zero, while PC Gamer also mentions Strike Suit Zero, 0x10c, Infinity, Star Command, Ring Runner, Starlight Inception, Northstar, Planetary Annihilation, X Rebirth, Drifter and Kinetic Void (why these are listed as strategy, I’ve no idea), and a page on 2014, which mentions Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous.
In non-gamey news, SolCommand has a new Goldminer model in progress. In deals news, only one today, and that’s Evochron Mercenary is 75% off for the next ten hours on Steam, bringing it down to $6.24, a total steal.
Thanks for reading folks, and have a great weekend!
Continue reading “Space Game News and Deals – 1/4/13” »
0x10c, drifter, drox operative, elite: dangerous, Evochron Mercenary, FTL, galacticards, galcon 2, infinity, kinetic void, Lunar Flight, Master of Orion III, northstar, oresome, planetary annihilation, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, skyjacker, slipspace, star citizen, Star Command, starlight inception, strike suit zero, terrestrial domination, x rebirth
IT OWNS YOU! ;)
The Steam Holiday Sale is ON LIKE DONKEY KONG, and here are all the spacey games I’ve been able to find (which is similar to the Thanksgiving sale in a lot of ways):
No go buy stuff! ;)
aces of the galaxy, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, darkstar one, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, flotilla, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gratuitous space battles, Gratuitous Tank Battles, Lunar Flight, nexus the jupiter incident, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, sol exodus, Space Empires V, space pirates and zombies, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, starpoint gemini, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II, x superbox
Some Good Newsiness Today!
Hey y’all, happy Thursday! I’ve got a bunch of news for y’all today, but first, a bit of news of my own. First, after the recent video showing some actual dang gameplay, I re-backed the Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter, since it actually is beginning to look like a mature campaign worthy of my time. My Kickstarter SEO tips still stand though. ;) Secondly, I realize I’ve been lax with opinion pieces of late, which I realize now is due to my lack of confidence in expressing my own opinions outside of reviews and such. Weird, right? So to help conquer this issue, I’m now gonna write an op-ed once a week at minimum, if not more. I already have some topics to cover, but if there’s something you’d like to get me talking about, feel free to send me your ideas. :) Now, with that said, onto the actual news. ;)
- First off, thanks to Gremlin over at Gamers with Jobs for making me aware of a new space combat game in development called Enemy Starfighter, which looks pretty damned cool (why we don’t see dyanmic campaigns in space sims more, I’ve no idea…). You can see a prototype video on YouTube or after the cut.
- Also, Ercole Spiteri let me know via Twitter that they have a prototype Solar System Colonization Game that you can learn more about over on their Space Sim Central forum thread.
- The Predestination Kickstarter has a new update covering new stretch goals, single player missions and so on.
- The Kickstarter for FleetCOMM : Operation Vigrior has a new update covering the state of the game and Kickstarters in general that’s a pretty good read.
- There’s a new update of Evochron: Mercenary that’s being termed an expansion, which introduces new systems, options graphics and so on, and you can read more on the game’s FAQ. Gotta try this out ASAP. :)
- You can totally now buy Drox Operative over on GamersGate if you’d like another option that buying it directly. :) There are also some impressions of the game over on Indie Statik.
- I totally swore off FTL for a while after all the anxiety it gave me, but this recent Serenity mod is cool enough not only to get me to report it here, but possibly enough to get me to play the game again. ;) Speaking of FTL, it’s on sale on GOG today for $4.99.
- In EVE Online news, they’ve announced you can now buy tickets for FanFest 2013 (10th anniversary for the game too, wow), and that now you’ll be receiving Christmas gifts in the game starting today. :)
- The blog for Limit Theory has a new post regarding procedurally generated space stations that looks really awesome. :)
- Finally, the Star Trek Online dev blog has announced Featured Project Rerun, which allows fleets to complete pleviously run Fleet Starbase and Embassy Featured Projects, which apparently lets players customize the interiors of their holdings. Neat.
That’s it for today folks! Have a great one!
You Want Video? Right This Way Folks!
OMG THE SALES! RUN! SAVE YOURSELVES!
Happy Black Friday y’all! I hope y’all had a lovely Thanksgiving here in the US, and I hope y’all are jumping on all the sales today. In trying to help y’all out, I’m putting this post all the non-Steam sales on spacey games I can find. Here we go:
Warning: LONG List Ahead!
Armada 2526, arvoch alliance, arvoch conflict, dark horizon, darkstar one, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, endless space, evochron legends, Evochron Mercenary, Evochron Renegades, Galactic Civilizations I, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, genesis rising, Haegemonia - Legion of Iron, Haegemonia - The Solon Heritage, master of orion, Master of Orion III, o.r.b., Outforce, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, Smugglers IV, sol exodus, Space Trade, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, Starships Unlimited v3, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II, x3 albion prelude, x3 reunion, X3: Gold Edition, X3: Terran Conflic