I’ll Be Visually Speaking to These Guys (or Guy)…;)
Hey folks, welcome to my first ever live Q&A, or video Q&A. Now, I usually don’t like to subject folks to my ugly mug, but Tyler of Broken Crown Games came up with the idea, so blame him. ;) This Q&A will cover their upcoming game, Escaping Titan, as well as their Science Behind the Sci-Fi panels, and whatever else comes up. We’ll be using Google+ Hangout to broadcast this, so you can join us on:
Starting tonight, 1/31/13 at 6 PM Pacific, 9 PM Eastern. Now, I think, THINK it can also be embedded here using a simple YouTube embed link, so if I CAN do that, I’ll add a link after a cut below. I invite y’all to join us if only just to watch me make a mess of everything, but also to learn more about the game and the folks behind it. ;)
Edit: All done, and what a good time! Due to a technical glitch, the Q&A is in two videos, which you can see after the cut. I wanna do more of these now! ;)
Continue reading “Escapting Titan Video Q&A: There’s a First Time for Everything (That Was Fun!)” »
Heeeeeey party people, how are y’all?! It’s close to the weekend! YAY! I am so looking forward to the weekend it’s silly, and I hope y’all are too. With that said, let’s dive into some news! (Remember, videos are embedded below the cut.)
- Limit Theory – There’s a new video update to show off some lovely progress of the game, and the game’s Kickstarter has some more fun tidbits besides. I want this game now kplzthnxbye. ;)
- Star Citizen – There’s a new issue of The Lost Generation for your reading pleasure.
- EVE Online – There’s a new FanFest 2013 trailer available, and The Mittani has a look at the battle of M0O-JG.
- Drox Operative – There’s a new quick look video over on Tekk’s Tavern.
- Freespace 2 – On the Hard Light Facebook page, they’ve posted about some updated campaigns that take advantage of the latest FS_Open executionable and mediavps.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new screenshot of a ship which, I think, is called the Atamal class. I lose track of the Tweet this came from so I’m not 100%. They need a blog or something…
- StarStrategy – Wow, been AGES since I’ve seen word on this one, but suddenly there are some new screenshots over on SpaceSimCentral!
- Homeworld – The folks at VentureBeat have an interview with teamPixel about their efforts to revive the game’s license.
- Star Conflict – Another update with a new PvE mission involving sabotage!
- Retrobooster – The folks at the Indie Games Channel have written some words about the game. ;)
- Gratuitous Space Battles – Jay is Games (Is he? Is he really?) has a review of the latest DLC for the game, Outcasts. I’ma gonna be working on one too my own self.
- Star Trek Online – Another day, another dev blog, this time discussing the featured embassy project.
- CLR – I just found about about this game yesterday, and you can read more about it on their IndieDB page. I’ll bring you more soon.
- Via Galactica – After what felt like a long hiatus, the game has been updated to version 1.7.3., which adds numerous bug fixes and improvements.
In the deals area, Steam is having a weekend deal on the entire AI War series for 75% off. Finally, there’s a LOVELY fighter concept painting by Numioh over at the Concept Ships blog.
That’s it folks! Remember to tune in tonight at 6 PM Pacific time, 9 PM Eastern time for a LIVE Q&A (my first ever!) with Tyler Yohe of Broken Crown Games. I should be able to embed it here, but you’ll also be able to see it on my brand-new Google+ profile page and my YouTube channel. Hope to see y’all there!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 1/31/13: Some Old Friends Return…” »
ai war fleet command, clr, drox operative, eve online, freespace 2, gratuitous space battles, Homeworld, limit theory, retrobooster, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, starstrategy, via galactica
A Big Universe is Open Before You…
The one (and pretty much only) downside to running this blog is how behind I get in my game queue. I have games on my list from late 2011 for chrissakes waiting to be covered. The reason for this — and I’m sorry devs — is trying to strike a balance between covering new games in as timely a manner as I can while still getting to my queue while still trying to maintain a balance everywhere else. :)
Take Dangerous here. I was contacted by the game’s developer back in December, 2011! Since then he — and I’m sure others — have been patiently waiting for me to cover the game. Fear not developers, while I might be behind, I WILL cover your game. ;) So why am I covering Dangerous right now, out of the order of the queue? Mostly to help separate it from the recently hullaballoed Elite: Dangerous, but to also to reward the dev’s patience. ;) With that said, let’s dive into the danger-filled universe of Dangerous and see what awaits (as if the title didn’t give it away, but humor me…). ;)
Continue reading “Dangerous: Tons of Combat, Lots of Quests, Goodly Amounts of Fun” »
I’ve Got The Whole…News…In My Hands…
Hellloooo everyone, and happy hump day! I hope y’all are having a lovely week thus far, and to hopefully add some spaceship shininess to your day, here’s a buncha news for your eyes to feast upon! Plenty of vids today too, so they’ll all be embedded after the cut.
- Star Citizen – The folks on the official site want’cha to meet Chris Smith, new 3D Artist on the gam, and I’ll embed the video below .They also plan live chats with specific members of their dev team I think going on right now. The Concept Ships blog also has some concept art from the game, some (all?) of which we’ve seen. Finally, there’s a new screenshot of a carrier and some squadrons on Facebook that is GORGEOUS.
- Star Trek Online – Several posts about their upcoming third anniversary today, including specific ships, events, and a reveal video over on PC Gamer — which has Denise Crosby, apparently.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has a couple of articles for us today, one on EVE role playing, and a video interview with Tempelman N, head of the Bombers Bar corporation.
- FTL – The Mittani also have a review of the game on their site.
- Beyond Beyaan – Two Kickstarter updates for us, one regarding reaching 20% of his funding goal (yay!) and the other on some new tiers.
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a new video showing off the creation of a factory station. Can I have this game yet? Like, now? ;)
- Strike Suit Zero – The folks at The Pixel Press have both a textual review and a video review. Wowie.
- Endless Space – The Amplitude folks are having an Automoton ship design competition that you can enter. The prize is a signed artbook. Cool!
- SkyJacker – Over on Kickstarter, the devs have detailed exactly where their newfound money will be going. I love that kinda transparency.
- Drifter – Yet another screenshot, this time of some angry battle. PEW PEW!
- Dominion – These folks have some lovely new high-res planet screenshots to show y’all.
- Spatial Flux – Just found this one on Kickstarter today. It’s a “pixel art style text adventure set in space”. It’s got spaceships though, so there ya go…;)
Finally, just to let y’all know, tomorrow night I’ll be doing a live interview with Tyler Yohe of Broken Crown Games about their upcoming game, Escaping Titan, over Google Hangout. I’ve never done a Google Hangout interview before, let ALONE a live interview, so this’ll be interesting, and of course you’re all invited. Once I figure out where the heck it’ll be I’ll put the link up here and on Facebook and Twitter. Hope to see some of y’all there. :)
That’s it for today folks. Thanks for visiting and reading!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News 1/30/12: Video Deluge” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, Dominium, drifter, endless space, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, skyjacker, spatial flux, star citizen, star trek online, strike suit zero
Look! It’s a Star…Map…Right? ;)
Hey y’all, happy Tuesday! I hope y’all are having a lovely week so far! There’s a goodly amount of stuff to go over today from all over the place, so let’s jump in!
- Galaxy on Fire II HD – Some sort of weeeeeeird garbled message showed up on the game’s Facebook page today, and we’re supposed to guess what it means. It BETTER mean that all the expansions are finally coming to the PC, gorrammit. ;)
- EVE Online – Coverage of the massive 3,000+ ship battle from this past weekend — which is being called the Battle of Asakai — continues both from their development blog as well as Rock, Paper Shotgun. This is one of those cases wherein, to me, EVE is more fun to read about than to play. ;) I do LOVE that the game allows this sort of thing to be possible, though. :)
- Kerbal Space Program – The folks behind the game are participating with the I Dream of Space folks to let fans have a chance to win a flight in a suborbital craft! That sounds pretty freaking awesome.
- Drifter – We have more screenshots today, this time of freaking laser beams!
- Rodina – There’s a new video of their planet generator, which is just freaking sexy. I’ll embed it below.
- Blockade Runner – Speaking of videos, these folks have a new video showing off the game’s destruction capabilities, which will also be embedded below.
- Ring Runner – Their Kickstarter has been updated with info on the 3rd Sage’s Challenge and news of crash reports.
- Star Citizen – On the official site, there’s a Murry Cup Racing release announcing the new season, and a look at Chris Roberts’ rigs.
- StarMade – There’s a new video showing off the new factions screen on their IndieDB page that I’ll embed below. There’s also a new tactical module for the game that spits out some code golbedygook. ;) Finally, there’s also a post on planet types.
- Strike Suit Zero – There’s a new review over on The Game Jar.
- Lunar Flight – There’s a new interview over on NowGamer that apparently is the result of a Reddit thread.
- Edge of Space – According to VGN247, the game is now available for pre-order, and the demo has been updated.
- Starshatter: The Gathering Storm – I should’ve caught this earlier, but the open source community for the game over on Hard Light has been making serious progress on the game, with a new .EXE and a mod that makes it a bit prettier. You can download the game and these enhancements over on the Hard Light forums.
In somewhat-related news, the DOSBox project won SourceForge’s project of the month for January, 2013! Since I rely on DOSBox to play many of the games on my list, I know they deserve any kudos they get. Next, the Concept Ships blog is toying with the idea of hoodies. On the Broken Crown Games forum, there have been several new featured guest posts that we’re all being encouraged to read. Finally, in stuff related to gaming but not space gaming, there’s a fascinatng article from the developer of an RPG called Malevolence in which he discusses his approach to Kickstarter and how he passed 500% of his goal. Since Kickstarter has been so important to the spacey game community, I was hoping folks would find it helpful. :)
That’s it for today folks! have a great one!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News 1/29/13: All Over the Starmap” »
blockade runner, drifter, edge of space, eve online, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, Kerbal Space Program, Lunar Flight, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, rodina, star citizen, starmade, Starshatter The Gathering Storm, strike suit zero
Look! It’s a Thingy! Kill It! ;)
A little while back, a gentleman named Michael Juliano posted on our forums talking about a new game he was making called Rogue System, which aimed to be a more serious, hard core sim rather than the more arcade-like entries in the genre (not that there’s anything wrong with having arcade-like games of course, but there’s plenty of room for both). ;) The more I learned about the game, the more I WANTED to learn, so I reached out to to Michael and asked if he could do an Q&A. Below are the results, which make me want to play the game NOOOOOOW! ;) Please enjoy the full Q&A with Michael Juliano below. :)
Continue reading “Rogue System Q&A: Bringing Hard Core Simulation Back to Space” »
So! Many! Videos! *glug*
Hey y’all, happy Monday! I hopy y’all had a great weekend and, sadly like me, are back to work (kidding, I am SO VERY HAPPY I have such an awesome job). ;) Even though it’s a Monday, we don’t have to a have a case of such, so let’s start the week off right with some spacey game news. :)
- Beyond Beyaan – The big news of the day is that the Kickstarter for Beyond Beyaan began this morning, so that Brent can help spruce the game up some. Head on over and give it a look see! :) I’ll also embed the pitch video below. :) The dev is also giving away some Master of Orion keys over on the GOG forums, so be sure to check that out.
- Rogue System – There’s a new teaser video available that shows some LOVELY shield splash effects that y’all need to see, and I’ll also embed it below. :)
- Enemy Starfighter – Speaking of new videos, there’s a new vid of this game showing off fighter speeds, which I’ll also embed below.
- EVE Online – According to The Mittani, there was a 3,000 ship fight in LowSec this past weekend that you have to freaking see to believe. Apparently fifty dreadnoughts were lost, and nearly forty carriers alone among all sides, which included over 700 corporations and 200 alliances. Holy crap, I tells ya. Eurogamer also has words on this.
- Kerbal Space Program – You can read a new preview over on IGN, and see some new videos over on Twitch.TV that were recorded over the weekend.
- Ring Runner – There’s a new preview up on LevelSave that’s a fun little read.
- Dominion – These guys have a new dev blog for y’all to follow with an RSS feed! YAY RSS feeds! I live off ‘em, for serious.
- StarLife – Thanks to 4xgamer for pointing out some new videos of the game, which I’ll embed below. Note: Their new site needs an RSS feed, for serious. ;) I mean sure, they have a mailing list too, but c’mon. ;)
- X3: Reunion – According to this forum thread, there’s a new build of the Linux version of the game for testing.
- ScrumbleShip – Both the game’s Kickstarter and IndieDB page has more detail about it’s latest 0.20 release, which has a ton of features such as Mac support, new GUI options and much more.
- StarMade – New version 0.089999 (nope, not making that number up) adds a new catalog system which makes for easier searching and faster gameplay, apparently. I need to try it myself to be sure. ;)
- OreSome – Apparently there’s a new first look video from Riddler Gaming er…looking at the game (embedded below), and their IndieDB page has listed several recent changelogs.
- Drifter – The developer posted a new screenshot in which he’s going sightseeing in the game. WANT NOW PLZKTHNXBYE.
- X-Wing – The Game Jar reminisces about the game a little bit.
That’s it for today folks. Have a great one! :)
I Got’cher Videos Right Here Pal! ;)
beyond beyaan, Dominium, drifter, enemy starfighter, eve online, Kerbal Space Program, master of orion, oresome, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, rogue system, ScrumbleShip, Star Wars: X-Wing, starlife, starmade, x3 reunion
Looks Simple, Right? ;)
Welcome to the final installment of my Let’s Play series covering the amazing Rules of Engagement 2! This time I go out like I should, with a bang…several of them, in fact. I hope you enjoyed this series of Let’s Play videos, and hope you’ll stay tuned for my next one. ;) Enjoy the video, and thanks for visiting! :)
Closin’ Out the Week with Some News…
Hello everyone, and happy Friday! I hope you had a lovely week and are planning a fantastic weekend ahead (if it is your weekend that is). My staycation is allllmost over, and I’d say it was pretty productive! Besides the two reviews earlier this week, I have three reviews and two previews in the pipe ready to be finished up! YAY! Now with that said, let’s end the week with some news! YAY!
- SkyJacker – As I write this, their Kickstarter campaign has twenty-one minutes to go, yet has received nearly $36,000 in pledges, which is about $6,000 more than their funding goal. YAY!Congrats to the team over there, now bring on the game! Oh, yeah, during a final video feed, folks from Predestination and the National Space Society campaign showed up to give support. Nice!
- Miner Wars 2081 – A little while back, someone mentioned to me that the devs behind this game were deleting posts off Steam and elsewhere as to the quality of the game. Since then, the devs have released a press release addressing the allegations. Whether it’s effective or not in dealing with the allegations, I’ll leave up to you to decide. In other news, Press Play Online did a Press Start video covering the game, which I’ll embed below.
- SolarWar – According to 4xgamer, the beta of the game has just been released. Sounds like a good time to give it some preview attention, huh? ;)
- Star Citizen – The second issue of The Lost Generation has been released for your reading pleasure.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch that adds achievements, a new combat recon mode and more. Check it out!
- ScrumbleShip – According to a post on Twitter, a new version of the game has been released which fixes the HUD, improved the 2D renderer and more.
- Galactic Arms Race – This is a new game I found whilst browsing through Desura. Looks nifty, so I’ll try to snag a copy soon. :)
Finally, in deals, HardWar is on sale this weekend at DotEmu for $2.40, and worth every penny. Speaking of DotEmu, they now have both Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2 (funny that) for $9.99 each. This, however, is honestly is too much as GOG’s versions cost less AND come with extras, so you should still get ‘em there if you’ve not already.
That’s it folks! Have a great weekend and I’ll talk y’all next week!
Continue reading “Space Game News and Deals 1/25/13: It’s Already Friday?!” »
Lots of Stuff Today!
Hey party people, how’s your Thursday holding up? Mine is great so far. Have a review in the pipeline now, just started on a preview, and will try to get two more reviews in the pipe before the staycation ends. YEAH! Space games for the MF’ing win! :) With that said, let’s look at some news about said space games!
- Freespace – Here’s a small update to yesterday’s story/dream thing on Volition. Thanks to Scratched on Gamers With Jobs for catching this comment on Reddit leading to this trademark search result that tells us the holder of the Freespace trademark is Stompy Bot Productions. I’ll be honest, I’ve never heard of these folks, but since they have a new Heavy Gear game coming out too (OMGOMG), I contacted ‘em to see what’s the what on the trademark and what they plan to do with it, if anything. I’ll let y’all know what I find out. In other Freespace news, GOG’s version of the game will now run on a Mac! Awesome!
- Homeworld – According to PCGamesN, the folks at media company teamPixel, have launched a new IndieGoGo campaign to acquire the rights to Homeworld. This “Save Homeworld” campaign would involve selling the original game on GOG and Steam, make a new version for tablets, and then start work on Homeworld 3. I’ll keep an eye out on this one. Also, here’s a pitch video (I think that’s what it is) better explaining the project. It’ll be embedded below, of course.
- SkyJacker – With a bit more than a day left, their Kickstarter campaign FINALLY reached its funding goal! YES! Congrats to them!
- Galactose – The dev has announced a new alpha build to try out on our very own forum, as well as a short video of the new build, which I’ll embed below.
- Quintet – This is a new game that I wanna let y’all know about (because the dev was nice enough to email me). ;) This new game is called Quintet, and it’s a multiplayer bridge simulator. Where it differs from Artemis, the other game that currently encompasses this very small space, is that it can be played in a browser, rather than a Windows executionable. This opens up the game to way more people, I think. I’m going to be trying it out soon, but why not give it a try yourselves for free by clicking the link? :)
- Strike Suit Zero – A plethora of reviews has come in recently from places such as Rock, Paper Shotgun, IGN, Digital Spy and Eurogamer. I won’t spoil ‘em for you but…you should read ‘em. Also, the game is now available on GOG.
- Star Citizen – OMG their site FINALLY has an RSS feed! YAY! This will help me find more new for you, such as a small video interviewing Chief Visual Officer Chris Oliva (also embedding below), as well as an ad for an in-game salvage yard called Dumper’s Depot.
- Conquest: Frontier Wars – Even though right now he’s working on Star Sitizen, Erik Petersen gives us his thoughts about Conquest: Frontier Wars, his other baby. ;) You can also read an interview I did with him on the proposed sequel.
- StarDrive/Deep Space Settlement- I missed this yesterday (their stories need better titles ;), but 4xgamer has a beta video of StarDrive for your viewing pleasure, as well as a link to a tiny bonus video of Deep Space Settlement. These will be embedded after the cut.
Finally, on the Concept Ships blog, there’s a lovely little motion graphic of the progress of painting a ship by Tom McDowell that is really neat to look at.
That’s it folks! Have a lovely day and I’ll talk to y’all tomorrow! :)
Continue reading “Space Game News 1/24/12: Old Games Coming Out of The Woodwork…” »