Hey folks, welcome to the latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. I apologize for getting this up so late, as Jim sent it to me days ago, but I had the busiest weekend ever, so I didn’t really have time to put it up until now. I also don’t have time to do the detailed show notes this week either (I might have to pair those down in general since they take an awful long time sometimes). :( On a happier note, Jim and I talk about a lot of awesome stuff, like news, games we’re playing and immersion in video games, based on our own experiences plus those you — our awesome readers — shared with us. It made for a great discussion, and we hope you enjoy it. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, you can leave comments below, or contact us at email@example.com if you’d like to contact us directly. Also, while I’m thinking of it, we’re thinking of doing some kind of write-in show, so hey, write us with questions you have and we’ll answer ‘em on a future show. ;) Thanks for listening, as always folks! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #48: Drowning in Immersion” »
Cannons Rockets and Lasers, Deep Space Settlement, distant worlds, elite, elite: dangerous, endless space, enemy starfighter, Eterium, eve online, freelancer, freespace 2, Hardwar, homeworld cataclysm, Independence War, Interstellaria, Jumpgate, Kerbal Space Program, Master of Orion 2, nexus the jupiter incident, Renegade: Battle for Jacob's Star, Rules of Engagement, sins of a solar empire, star citizen, star control 2, star crusader, Star Wars: Empires at War, Star Wars: Rebellion, star wars: tie fighter, starflight, Starshatter, sword of the stars, the last federation, Void Destroyer, wing commander, Wing Commander: Privateer, X3
A Little Bit of EVERYTHING…
Hey folks, welcome to the latest installment of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. Sorry for the delay in getting this to y’all, but real life sometimes creeps in and makes its presence known above all else. ;) That said, every now and then Jim and I feel it’s good to just sit back, shoot the crap and catch up with the news, what we’ve been playing and so on, so that’s what this latest show is about, and let me tell y’all, we are allllll over the place, in a good way. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we look forward to your comments and thank you for listening! Enjoy the show!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #37: Random Rambling Potpourri Pirates of Plenty” »
ai war, distant worlds, drox operative, Eclipse, endless space, Evochron Mercenary, freelancer, galactic civilizations ii, galactic civilizations iii, master of orion, nexus the jupiter incident, skyjacker, star citizen, star made, Star Wars Squadrons, star wolves, starbase orion, starflight, the last federation, The Mandate
Ring of Boredom…
Hey folks, welcome to the latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. This week — at Jim’s behest — we spent time looking at one specific game and talking about it’s…let’s say ups and downs. The game Jim chose was Darkstar One from 2006. Jim chose this because I’ve never spoken highly of it, and he wanted to find out why. Join us, won’t you?
Podcast: Play in new window
You can also see the video we recorded below from the SGJ Twitch.tv channel:
We hope you enjoy either the audio or video versions of the podcast (or both, go crazy!). ;) We also invite you to subscribe to us via iTunes or RSS, and look forward to your comments below. Also, we’re opening up the floor to ideas/topics/guest you’d like us to cover, so if there’s something you’d like our podcast to cover, please let us know. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #36: Delving into the Depths of Despai…er…Darkstar One” »
Remember This Nightmare? ;)
Hey folks, welcome back to the Space Game Junkie podcast! After a short break, Jim brings on one of his oldest friends, Mike, to talk about the joy of old games and the fun involved in getting them to run on newer hardware. We also go all over the place, as per usual. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we look forward to your comments below, and invite you to subscribe to us via RSS or iTunes. Thanks for listening, and enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #26: Old Men Talking Old Games” »
0x10c, Artemis, conquest frontier wars, darkstar one, distant worlds, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, Eterium, freelancer, Hardwar, Independence War, quintet, Ring Runner, Rules of Engagement 2, Space, space pirates and zombies, space rogue, Star Trek: Starfleet Command, star wars: tie fighter, starflight, starlancer, Stars!, tachyon the fringe, Wings of Saint Nezaire, x rebirth, X-Tension, x3 albion prelude
This Episode Makes About as Much Sense as This Picture.
Hello folks, and welcome to episode 19 of the Space Game Junkie podcast! This week, Jim and I have no guest, and you know what thaaaaat meannnnns. WE TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING. Well, almost everything, both on and off topic, and we kinda have a topic, but we skim it because I’m neither prepared nor intelligent enough to discuss it at length. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, please throw your thoughts our way, as we love to hear them, and thanks so much for listening! Enjoy!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #19: Random Rambly Bits of Randomness, and Physics!” »
elite, endless space, freelancer, freespace 2, Frontier: Elite II, Galactose, Independence War, independence war 2, Jumpgate, retrobooster, Ring Runner, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, stardrive, starflight, Void Destroyer, void of darkness
So Much Freaking News!
Hellooooo my friends, how are you? Let me tell you, on my end? Life has been craaaaaaaaaay to the freaking zeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Seriously, I’ve not been this busy with work and life in a long damned time, but things are stabilizing again, and I’ve been saving up all the news I’ve been finding JUST so I could vomit it all out to y’all in a huge-ass post. I’m a little loopy today, so prepare for some weirdness. ;) Enjoy! ;)
- Void of Darkness – Justin, the game’s developer, wrote in to let me know that his game’s IndieGoGo campaign had begun. If I hadn’t just purchased a PS Vita, I’d likely chip in right now. ;)
- Endless Space – The Disharmony expansion — which I just wrote about yesterday, go me ;) — is up on Steam today. There were a bunch of dev posts about the expansion, but they won’t load as I write this, so I can’t include them. :/
- AI War – Version 7.0 of the game is now out, as is the latest expansion, Vengeance of the Machine! Go get it!
- EVE Online – A lot of stuff for this one. First, the official site has an article on exploration sites and one on a community spotlight focusig on Red Frog Freight. The Mittani has a ton of articles covering tech one industrials, a Caldari surge in factional warfare, another look at the Fountain campaign, some battle reports, people doing dumb things with their toys and a requiem for the Honeybadger Coalition.
- Star Citizen – Lots of updates for this one too, including a recent 300i campaign which led to a new crowdfunding record, a news update on the in-game congress, an “Atlas Falls” story entry, a look at the Orion system and part twelve of the writer’s guide.
- Dominium – Work has begun on some of the game’s coreUI elements, and there’s a post on procedurally generated levels in the game.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new blog post looking at the sector conquest portion of the game.
- Galaxy Union – This is a new space 4x game I’d never heard of before yesterday, but you can now purchase the early version of the game for less than $5.
- Worlds Collide – This is another new space 4X game that I’ve been made aware of thanks to Space Sector.
- Sea of Stars – There’s a new June update on Kickstarter with a new video and everything.
- Sword of the Stars 2 – There’s a tiny new patch which fixes a few little things.
- Savage Trader – Here’s another new space game I found on Kickstarter, it’s a 2D space game coming out for Mac first, of all things.
- Tradeward Rising – This Kickstarter is striving to finish this particular space strategy MMO thingy.
- DreadChase – This is a new spacey game that’s being termed a “6 degree-of-freedom FPS stealth/combat” game. I do like all of those things. I’ll embed the latest video of the thing below. :)
- 90Edges Universe – There’s a video of a space station in action! I’ll embed it below!
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new blog post talking about fleet movement and it’s succesful implementation, one looking at fleets being updated and one looking at moving from grids to free points.
- Vendetta Online – There’s a new development update talking about recent updates to the game and from the dev team.
- Rogue System – According to the latest dev post, Mike is getting an Oculus Rift! Nice!
- Distant World – Shadows – Das24680 has four whole new videos looking at the game, all of which will be embedded below.
- Infinite Pixels – Alpha 0.0.6 has been released, and it apparently allows multiple planets on a multiplayer server. Nifty! There’s also a video of it in action, which I’ll embed below.
- Skyjacker – According to their Kickstarter, the beta for the Starship Constructor will be released this week for beta backers (which I am, yay!).
- Void Destroyer – Since their goal has been passed on Kickstarter (yay, congrats Paul!), official stretch goals have been announced. There are also posts looking at swarm mines and actually adding mines to the game.
- Eterium – There’s a blog post detailing improved explosions in the game, one looking at fighters prepping for launch and one talking about the new hazard difficulty level.
- Freelancer – The Mostly Harmless mod has been released, which strives to bring the universe from Elite into the game. Thanks Starport!
- Quintet – There’s an interview with Carmine, the developer, over on Subspace Communicator Online. The game is also out for Android now! Yay!
- Strike Suit Zero – The Mac beta of the game has been sent off to beta testers! Yay for Mac gamers! Their blog also has thoughts on the future of space combat.
- Drox Operative – There’s a new patch for the game with a ton of diplomatic changes and much more.
- Retrobooster – There’s a new video looking at the new death ray weapon in the game, which I’ll embed below.
- Ring Runner – There’s a final content update coming before the game’s imminent release! Yay! Can’t wait to review it!
- StarMade – There’s a blog post the game’s new universe-wide AI system. Check it out below.
Then, in related news, there’s a guest blog post on the Star Trek Online blog looking at diversity in Star Trek, as well as a soundtrack album of music from various Star Trek video games. No kidding! Finally, as part of Atari’s bankruptcy sale, they’re selling the IPs for Master of Orion and Star Control for $100,000 each, along with some others. Wowie.
That’s it folks! Thanks for your patience and your patronage and I’ll strive to make future updates more regular. :) Have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News 6/15-26/13: The Oops-I-Did-It-Again Edition” »
90Edges Universe, ai war, beyond beyaan, Distant World Shadows, Dominium, DreadChase, drox operative, elite, endless space disharmony, Eterium, eve online, freelancer, Galaxy Union, Infinite Pixels, master of orion, quintet, retrobooster, Ring Runner, rogue system, Savage Trader, Sea of Stars, skyjacker, star citizen, Star Conflict, star control, star trek online, starmade, strike suit zero, Sword of the Stars 2, Tradeward Rising, Vendetta Online, Void Destroyer, void of darkness, Worlds Collide
News and Videos!
Hellloooo my friends, and happy hump day! I hope y’all are having a great week so far! My week has been busy with stuff, but I’m gonna be working on some content tonight, so stay tuned for that. :) In the meantime, here’s some news for your reading pleasure!
- Star Trek: NCC-1701 – The folks at Trek Core have an interview with the devs behind this fully explorable Enterprise sim/game/thing, which looks awesome. I’m hoping to get into the beta of the thing soon, so stay tuned. :)
- Star Conflict – There’s a new event coming up called “Operation Maintenance Training” that plans to, and I quote, “designed to test your knowledge on various topics and maintain your mental tone in the best possible condition.” Okie dokie. ;)
- Void Destroyer – There’s a new post up about asteroid generation along with a video, which I’ll embed below.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a new version of their pixel ships wallpaper up, which looks awesome.
- Infinite Pixels – Apparently alpha 0.0.3 is out with more vivid planet colors, a colony management system and more. There’s also a new video showing this off, which will be embedded below.
- Aeon Command – Part three of the dev’s post mortem has been posted.
- Star Citizen – There’s a news update called “Death of a Planet” as well as a press roundup that included a video interview with Eric Petersen, which I’ll embed below.
- Freelancer – According to The Starport, the SSM Mod has a new lease on life thanks to a new server, so go check it out, as the mod is HUGE.
- Eterium – There’s word that a new demo will eventually be released with updated controls. That’s a very good thing.
That’s all folks! Have a lovely day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News 6/12/13: A Light News Day” »
If I Had a Hammer…
Last night on our podcast, we spoke to the creator of Void Destroyer, Paul Zakrzewski, about his upcoming game, and at one point I asked him about the editors that would be included in the game. He basically said that everything that he used to make the game would be included, so one could make their own maps, missions and even campaigns, all with triggers and cutscenes and all that fun stuff.
I f#$%ing love that.
This got me to thinking, even with the prevelance and popularity of games that include editors, such as Freespace 2, Skyrim and so on, there are a lot of games out there that deserve such tools and don’t have them. There are also games that don’t have such tools and yet don’t really need them, as enterprising programmers and designers find their way into their guts regardless, such as Digital Anvil’s Freelancer. I then began to wonder why some games have these tools while others don’t…
Continue reading “Spacing Out: Tools and Trust” »
Welllllllcome to episode #16 of the Space Game Junkie podcast. This week, Jim and I have no guest and the baaaaarest thread of a topic. This results in what has to be the most random, off-topic podcast we’ve done yet. I mean what other space game podcast (is there one?) talks about space pirates, Marvel Heroes, Squirrel Girl, being renamed Paul and so on? I blame the fatigue my own self. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
We would love it if y’all would chime in about your stories of being a pirate in space games, because honestly that career path doesn’t much fit us, you know? :) We look forward to your stories, as well as your comments, below, and invite you to subscribe to us if you’ve not already. Thanks for listening, and enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #16: Pirates, Pauls and Squirrels Oh My!” »
black market, Distant Worlds: Shadows, drifter, elite, enemy starfighter, Eterium, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, flotilla, freelancer, independence war 2, Jumpgate, Kerbal Space Program, Pirate Galaxy, Space Pirates, space pirates and zombies, Space Rangers 2, space rogue, space trader, star citizen, star trek online, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, star wars galaxies, Starshatter, Trade Wars, Treasure Planet: Battle of Procyon, Void Destroyer, Wing Commander: Privateer, x3 albion prelude
I Want to Go To There. ;)
Heyyyy folks, welcome to this edition of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. In this episode, Jim and I sit down with Brendan Anthony, former Bethesda developer who is currently working on an awesome space game called Rodina. We talk about the game at length, but due to a good deal of wine on my part I think, the conversation goes all over the place as well. It’s a fun ride, and we hope you enjoy it.
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we welcome your comments/critiques below in the comments or on the forum, and invite you to follow us on the RSS or the iTunes thingamajig. Thanks for listening, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #14: Rodina Q&A (and Random Ramblings)” »
beat hazard, freelancer, freespace, FTL, Kerbal Space Program, lunar lander, rodina, star wars: tie fighter, StarFox, wing commander, Wing Commander: Privateer, x3 albion prelude