Ring of Boredom…
Hey folks, welcome to the latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. This week — at Jim’s behest — we spent time looking at one specific game and talking about it’s…let’s say ups and downs. The game Jim chose was Darkstar One from 2006. Jim chose this because I’ve never spoken highly of it, and he wanted to find out why. Join us, won’t you?
Podcast: Play in new window
You can also see the video we recorded below from the SGJ Twitch.tv channel:
We hope you enjoy either the audio or video versions of the podcast (or both, go crazy!). ;) We also invite you to subscribe to us via iTunes or RSS, and look forward to your comments below. Also, we’re opening up the floor to ideas/topics/guest you’d like us to cover, so if there’s something you’d like our podcast to cover, please let us know. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #36: Delving into the Depths of Despai…er…Darkstar One” »
When the Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter was running, one of the reward tiers was a “Writer’s Pack” in which authors would get to contribute an original piece of fiction in the Elite: Dangerous universe. It was through this I found out about “And Here the Wheel“, an original novel by John Harper set in the game’s universe. I contacted John a while back to do a written Q&A, but as I stiiiiiink at writing questions for those things, I eventually offered to do an audio Q&A instead, since those are more fun and dynamic. Him being in Wellington, New Zealand and me in Los Angeles made the timing it a bit tricky, but we finally worked it out. I therefore invite to listen to my first interview with an author ever, John Harper, author of “And Here the Wheel” in which we talk about nearly all things Elite as well as the book itself. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
John also asked if I could promote his publisher’s IndieGoGo campaign, and since the sound like awesome folks, I figured I’d do so. ;) Thanks for listening!
PS. I think it’s funny how my first interview with a composer, Artem Bank, was in text and my first interview with an author is in audio. ;) Just a funny thought, really…
Help Me Puppy! I’m Burred in News!
Holy crap, newsiness! It’s been a while since I posted some of this stuff, but DAAAAAYUM has life been crazy. Work has been INSANE, home life has been busy and I had a weird slightly-depressive funk I had to work my way through (nothing bad, just turning 40 stuff mostly), but things are balancing out again, which means it’s time for NEWS, and hooooooly crap is there a ton (over 180 items). Several weeks worth of stuff from all over the map (so much so that this post will likely be written over a mult-day period). This post will be so damned big I’ll have to put it behind a cut just to help make the front page look sane, so here goes…
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Deals 8/10/13-9/3/13: A News Post So Big I Hope It Doesn’t Break the Site…” »
0x10c, Aeon Command, ai war, Artemis, Astrobase Command, beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, Deuteros, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, elite, elite: dangerous, endless space, enemy starfighter, epic space game, Eterium, eve online, eve: valkyrie, freespace 2, freespace open, galactic civilizations ii, Galactose, Galaxia Conquestum, Galaxy Union, GoD Factory: Wingmen, horizon, Infinite Pixels, Infinite Space 3, Kaiser Earth, Kerbal Space Program, Last Jungle in Sector 17, limit theory, Lunar Flight, m.o.r.e., Master of Orion II, Obliterate Everything 2 Gold, Open Imperium Galctica, PULSAR: Lost Colony, quintet, retrobooster, rodina, solar war, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, star villains and space heroes, starpoint gemini ii, starsector, StellarBrink, strike suit zero, sword of the stars, System Lords, Vendetta Online, void of darkness, wayward terran frontier, wing commander, x rebirth, x3 albion prelude, x3 terran conflict
This Episode Makes About as Much Sense as This Picture.
Hello folks, and welcome to episode 19 of the Space Game Junkie podcast! This week, Jim and I have no guest, and you know what thaaaaat meannnnns. WE TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING. Well, almost everything, both on and off topic, and we kinda have a topic, but we skim it because I’m neither prepared nor intelligent enough to discuss it at length. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, please throw your thoughts our way, as we love to hear them, and thanks so much for listening! Enjoy!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #19: Random Rambly Bits of Randomness, and Physics!” »
elite, endless space, freelancer, freespace 2, Frontier: Elite II, Galactose, Independence War, independence war 2, Jumpgate, retrobooster, Ring Runner, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, stardrive, starflight, Void Destroyer, void of darkness
So Much Freaking News!
Hellooooo my friends, how are you? Let me tell you, on my end? Life has been craaaaaaaaaay to the freaking zeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Seriously, I’ve not been this busy with work and life in a long damned time, but things are stabilizing again, and I’ve been saving up all the news I’ve been finding JUST so I could vomit it all out to y’all in a huge-ass post. I’m a little loopy today, so prepare for some weirdness. ;) Enjoy! ;)
- Void of Darkness – Justin, the game’s developer, wrote in to let me know that his game’s IndieGoGo campaign had begun. If I hadn’t just purchased a PS Vita, I’d likely chip in right now. ;)
- Endless Space – The Disharmony expansion — which I just wrote about yesterday, go me ;) — is up on Steam today. There were a bunch of dev posts about the expansion, but they won’t load as I write this, so I can’t include them. :/
- AI War – Version 7.0 of the game is now out, as is the latest expansion, Vengeance of the Machine! Go get it!
- EVE Online – A lot of stuff for this one. First, the official site has an article on exploration sites and one on a community spotlight focusig on Red Frog Freight. The Mittani has a ton of articles covering tech one industrials, a Caldari surge in factional warfare, another look at the Fountain campaign, some battle reports, people doing dumb things with their toys and a requiem for the Honeybadger Coalition.
- Star Citizen – Lots of updates for this one too, including a recent 300i campaign which led to a new crowdfunding record, a news update on the in-game congress, an “Atlas Falls” story entry, a look at the Orion system and part twelve of the writer’s guide.
- Dominium – Work has begun on some of the game’s coreUI elements, and there’s a post on procedurally generated levels in the game.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new blog post looking at the sector conquest portion of the game.
- Galaxy Union – This is a new space 4x game I’d never heard of before yesterday, but you can now purchase the early version of the game for less than $5.
- Worlds Collide – This is another new space 4X game that I’ve been made aware of thanks to Space Sector.
- Sea of Stars – There’s a new June update on Kickstarter with a new video and everything.
- Sword of the Stars 2 – There’s a tiny new patch which fixes a few little things.
- Savage Trader – Here’s another new space game I found on Kickstarter, it’s a 2D space game coming out for Mac first, of all things.
- Tradeward Rising – This Kickstarter is striving to finish this particular space strategy MMO thingy.
- DreadChase – This is a new spacey game that’s being termed a “6 degree-of-freedom FPS stealth/combat” game. I do like all of those things. I’ll embed the latest video of the thing below. :)
- 90Edges Universe – There’s a video of a space station in action! I’ll embed it below!
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new blog post talking about fleet movement and it’s succesful implementation, one looking at fleets being updated and one looking at moving from grids to free points.
- Vendetta Online – There’s a new development update talking about recent updates to the game and from the dev team.
- Rogue System – According to the latest dev post, Mike is getting an Oculus Rift! Nice!
- Distant World – Shadows – Das24680 has four whole new videos looking at the game, all of which will be embedded below.
- Infinite Pixels – Alpha 0.0.6 has been released, and it apparently allows multiple planets on a multiplayer server. Nifty! There’s also a video of it in action, which I’ll embed below.
- Skyjacker – According to their Kickstarter, the beta for the Starship Constructor will be released this week for beta backers (which I am, yay!).
- Void Destroyer – Since their goal has been passed on Kickstarter (yay, congrats Paul!), official stretch goals have been announced. There are also posts looking at swarm mines and actually adding mines to the game.
- Eterium – There’s a blog post detailing improved explosions in the game, one looking at fighters prepping for launch and one talking about the new hazard difficulty level.
- Freelancer – The Mostly Harmless mod has been released, which strives to bring the universe from Elite into the game. Thanks Starport!
- Quintet – There’s an interview with Carmine, the developer, over on Subspace Communicator Online. The game is also out for Android now! Yay!
- Strike Suit Zero – The Mac beta of the game has been sent off to beta testers! Yay for Mac gamers! Their blog also has thoughts on the future of space combat.
- Drox Operative – There’s a new patch for the game with a ton of diplomatic changes and much more.
- Retrobooster – There’s a new video looking at the new death ray weapon in the game, which I’ll embed below.
- Ring Runner – There’s a final content update coming before the game’s imminent release! Yay! Can’t wait to review it!
- StarMade – There’s a blog post the game’s new universe-wide AI system. Check it out below.
Then, in related news, there’s a guest blog post on the Star Trek Online blog looking at diversity in Star Trek, as well as a soundtrack album of music from various Star Trek video games. No kidding! Finally, as part of Atari’s bankruptcy sale, they’re selling the IPs for Master of Orion and Star Control for $100,000 each, along with some others. Wowie.
That’s it folks! Thanks for your patience and your patronage and I’ll strive to make future updates more regular. :) Have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News 6/15-26/13: The Oops-I-Did-It-Again Edition” »
90Edges Universe, ai war, beyond beyaan, Distant World Shadows, Dominium, DreadChase, drox operative, elite, endless space disharmony, Eterium, eve online, freelancer, Galaxy Union, Infinite Pixels, master of orion, quintet, retrobooster, Ring Runner, rogue system, Savage Trader, Sea of Stars, skyjacker, star citizen, Star Conflict, star control, star trek online, starmade, strike suit zero, Sword of the Stars 2, Tradeward Rising, Vendetta Online, Void Destroyer, void of darkness, Worlds Collide
Welllllllcome to episode #16 of the Space Game Junkie podcast. This week, Jim and I have no guest and the baaaaarest thread of a topic. This results in what has to be the most random, off-topic podcast we’ve done yet. I mean what other space game podcast (is there one?) talks about space pirates, Marvel Heroes, Squirrel Girl, being renamed Paul and so on? I blame the fatigue my own self. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
We would love it if y’all would chime in about your stories of being a pirate in space games, because honestly that career path doesn’t much fit us, you know? :) We look forward to your stories, as well as your comments, below, and invite you to subscribe to us if you’ve not already. Thanks for listening, and enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #16: Pirates, Pauls and Squirrels Oh My!” »
black market, Distant Worlds: Shadows, drifter, elite, enemy starfighter, Eterium, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, flotilla, freelancer, independence war 2, Jumpgate, Kerbal Space Program, Pirate Galaxy, Space Pirates, space pirates and zombies, Space Rangers 2, space rogue, space trader, star citizen, star trek online, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, star wars galaxies, Starshatter, Trade Wars, Treasure Planet: Battle of Procyon, Void Destroyer, Wing Commander: Privateer, x3 albion prelude
What Does It MEAN?!
Hey kids, welcome to episode #13 of the Space Game Junkie! This time, Jim and I get up early in the morning to talk to Malcolm Sparrow, the lead developer of space combat and trading game Dominium (formerly known as Dominion) and it’s current Kickstarter campaign. This podcast is a bit shorter than usual because we did it at 6 AM my time, and I had to rush to work afterwards, just so y’all know. ;) As a treat, you’re all hearing me pre-coffee. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we invite you to comment on the podcast below, invite you to subscribe to us via RSS or iTunes, and thank you for listening. Enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #13: Dominium Q&A with Malcolm Sparrow” »
More Chit Chat
Hello, and welcome to episode 01 of the SGJ Podcast. Join Jim from the Bad Movie Podcast and me as we try to adapt something of a format in order to have some more focus and structure! ;) We talk about some news, some games we’re playing, and our topic for this week, which games that are still worth playing even though their graphics and UI are on the archaic side. We also look at the opposite side of the coin, games that have held up well over the years.
Podcast: Play in new window
We also have an iTunes page now, as well as our RSS feed! Yay! Thank you for listening, and please find our show notes under the cut. :) Also, since I’m still pretty new to this podcasting thing (it’s old hat to Jim, thankfully), please don’t hesitate to give me constructive criticism on how I can improve my performance either in the comments below or in the forum. :) Hope the length is okay with y’all, but again, new to this stuff, still trying to be efficient. ;) Thanks again! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #01: Graphics vs. UI vs. Gameplay! FIGHT!” »
beyond beyaan, drox operative, elite, endless space, freelancer, Homeworld, homeworld 2, homeworld cataclysm, independence war 2, Kerbal Space Program, privateer gemini gold, rogue system, Rules of Engagement, Rules of Engagement 2, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, space rogue, Star Command, star fleet 1, star fleet 2, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, star wars: tie fighter, star wars: x-wing alliance, starflight, starflight 2, starlander, wing commander, wing commander ii, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, wing commander iv the price of freedom, wing commander prophecy
Last News of 2012?
Hey guys, happy last Friday of 2012! Not a lot of news today, so let’s dive in:
That’s all the news I could find! I know, right? There are some AWESOME deals today though:
- Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is on Steam’s Daily Deal for $13.59, which is the cheapest I believe I’ve ever seen it, and a TOTAL steal. Trinity is also a steal at $6.79.
- FTL is going for $4.99 on the official site right now, which is also a great deal.
Finally, there’s some lovely ship art by James Paick on the Concept Ships blog.
And that’s it! Have a lovely day and weekend, and thanks for visiting! :)
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Deals – 12/28/12” »
This Turkey is Thankful I’m Not Eating It. ;)
Warning, incoming corniness alert. ;) As Thanksgiving approaches here in the U.S., I’ve been giving thought to who and what I have in my life to be thankful for. In my non-blogging life, I have a wonderful job, an amazing girlfriend, a cadre of the best friends a guy could ask for, adorable cats, my favorite car I’ve ever owned (yay Honda Fit!) and so much more. As this blog wonderfully takes up a good portion of my life, I tried to also think about what I’m thankful for in terms of the spacey gamey…er…space. Last year I listed the games I was thankful for, so this time, I’ll list the people I’m thankful for. :)
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey People I’m Thankful For” »
dangerous, elite, eve online, freespace 2, Jumpgate, sol exodus, space pirates and zombies, space rangers, spacewar!, star wars: tie fighter, star wolves, star wraith, zigfrak