Hey folks, welcome to the latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. I apologize for getting this up so late, as Jim sent it to me days ago, but I had the busiest weekend ever, so I didn’t really have time to put it up until now. I also don’t have time to do the detailed show notes this week either (I might have to pair those down in general since they take an awful long time sometimes). :( On a happier note, Jim and I talk about a lot of awesome stuff, like news, games we’re playing and immersion in video games, based on our own experiences plus those you — our awesome readers — shared with us. It made for a great discussion, and we hope you enjoy it. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, you can leave comments below, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to contact us directly. Also, while I’m thinking of it, we’re thinking of doing some kind of write-in show, so hey, write us with questions you have and we’ll answer ‘em on a future show. ;) Thanks for listening, as always folks! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #48: Drowning in Immersion” »
Cannons Rockets and Lasers, Deep Space Settlement, distant worlds, elite, elite: dangerous, endless space, enemy starfighter, Eterium, eve online, freelancer, freespace 2, Hardwar, homeworld cataclysm, Independence War, Interstellaria, Jumpgate, Kerbal Space Program, Master of Orion 2, nexus the jupiter incident, Renegade: Battle for Jacob's Star, Rules of Engagement, sins of a solar empire, star citizen, star control 2, star crusader, Star Wars: Empires at War, Star Wars: Rebellion, star wars: tie fighter, starflight, Starshatter, sword of the stars, the last federation, Void Destroyer, wing commander, Wing Commander: Privateer, X3
So Pretty! So Explodey!
Hello folks, and welcome to this latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. This week, Jim and I sit down and talk with Alex Landa, Producer for the currently Kickstarting game SkyJacker. We learn a lot about the game in our time with Alex, and we hope you will too, enough to go and kick to the darned thing. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we hope you enjoy the podcast, look forward to your comments below and invite you to subscribe through iTunes or RSS. Thanks for listening! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #35: Stealing the Sky in SkyJacker” »
Bring All Guns to Bear!
Helllooo friends, and welcome to another Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I sit down with Chris Adderley and Alex Catamo, the lead developers on Star Villains and Space Heroes. If you’re unaware, Star Villains and Space Heroes isn’t another fighter-based space game (though we all do love those), but rather a game of capital ship combat, something that even this genre is fairly rare (sadly). We talk to Chris and Alex all about their game, plus a bunch of other stuff, as is our usual. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
We hope you enjoy the discussion, look forward to your comments below, and invite you to subscribe to us via iTunes or RSS. Thanks as always for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #29: Cap Ships and the Heroes (and Villains) Who Love Them…” »
Battlecruiser 3000 A.D., freespace 2, FTL, Independence War, Kerbal Space Program, Rules of Engagement, Star Trek Bridge Commander, Star Trek Klingon Academy, Star Trek: Armada, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, star villains and space heroes, star wars: tie fighter, Starshatter, Ur-Quan Masters
Help Me Puppy! I’m Burred in News!
Holy crap, newsiness! It’s been a while since I posted some of this stuff, but DAAAAAYUM has life been crazy. Work has been INSANE, home life has been busy and I had a weird slightly-depressive funk I had to work my way through (nothing bad, just turning 40 stuff mostly), but things are balancing out again, which means it’s time for NEWS, and hooooooly crap is there a ton (over 180 items). Several weeks worth of stuff from all over the map (so much so that this post will likely be written over a mult-day period). This post will be so damned big I’ll have to put it behind a cut just to help make the front page look sane, so here goes…
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Deals 8/10/13-9/3/13: A News Post So Big I Hope It Doesn’t Break the Site…” »
0x10c, Aeon Command, ai war, Artemis, Astrobase Command, beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, Deuteros, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, elite, elite: dangerous, endless space, enemy starfighter, epic space game, Eterium, eve online, eve: valkyrie, freespace 2, freespace open, galactic civilizations ii, Galactose, Galaxia Conquestum, Galaxy Union, GoD Factory: Wingmen, horizon, Infinite Pixels, Infinite Space 3, Kaiser Earth, Kerbal Space Program, Last Jungle in Sector 17, limit theory, Lunar Flight, m.o.r.e., Master of Orion II, Obliterate Everything 2 Gold, Open Imperium Galctica, PULSAR: Lost Colony, quintet, retrobooster, rodina, solar war, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, star villains and space heroes, starpoint gemini ii, starsector, StellarBrink, strike suit zero, sword of the stars, System Lords, Vendetta Online, void of darkness, wayward terran frontier, wing commander, x rebirth, x3 albion prelude, x3 terran conflict
This Episode Makes About as Much Sense as This Picture.
Hello folks, and welcome to episode 19 of the Space Game Junkie podcast! This week, Jim and I have no guest, and you know what thaaaaat meannnnns. WE TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING. Well, almost everything, both on and off topic, and we kinda have a topic, but we skim it because I’m neither prepared nor intelligent enough to discuss it at length. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, please throw your thoughts our way, as we love to hear them, and thanks so much for listening! Enjoy!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #19: Random Rambly Bits of Randomness, and Physics!” »
elite, endless space, freelancer, freespace 2, Frontier: Elite II, Galactose, Independence War, independence war 2, Jumpgate, retrobooster, Ring Runner, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, stardrive, starflight, Void Destroyer, void of darkness
It’s Pretty Until You Hit Your Head Against It…
So after our random-ass podcast covering Piracy (and a ton of other things), I’ve been playing some Independence War 2: The Edge of Chaos here and there so as to get past the initial chapter in which you play annoying, whiny child pirate in order to get to the meat of the game wherein you play an annoying, whiny adult pirate (I assume) so my co-host and I can play together and try being pirates. Wheeee!
I was chugging along through chapter zero (wait, how can one have a chapter of NOTHING?) doing just fine when I reached one of the missions that made me pissed off at this game in the first place. In the preceding missions, you did some simple errands involving some theft and some maiming for others. This time, however, you had to steal some reactor rods for yourself, which was in an area surrounded by NINE ships in three groups of three. The game tells me to sneak in there, but no details as to how really, so I try to make my way into the area, remaining undetected and far enough away from the other ships to avoid being scanned, to dock with the reactor and get out of there. SIX TRIES LATER, I — through some sheer force of luck — manage to get far enough away from the base to kick in my LDS drive and hightail it out of there.
This got me thinking (after all the cursing), WHY did this mission have to be so difficult? The previous missions weren’t this tough, so why the sudden “OMGIHATELIFE” difficulty wall?
Continue reading “Spacing Out: Another Brick in the Difficulty Wall…” »
Welcome to the latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I sit down to talk to Paul Zakrzewski, lead developer for the currently-Kickstarted game Void Destroyer. Paul talks about the history of the game, his aspirations for it, working with the community to fix bugs and much more. It’s a lively discussion about a pretty fun game, even in this early stage of its lifespan, and we hope you enjoy it. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we welcome your comments below, and invite you to subscribe to us via RSS or iTunes. Thanks for listening! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #17: Void Destroyer – The Dark Souls of Space Games?” »
If I Had a Hammer…
Last night on our podcast, we spoke to the creator of Void Destroyer, Paul Zakrzewski, about his upcoming game, and at one point I asked him about the editors that would be included in the game. He basically said that everything that he used to make the game would be included, so one could make their own maps, missions and even campaigns, all with triggers and cutscenes and all that fun stuff.
I f#$%ing love that.
This got me to thinking, even with the prevelance and popularity of games that include editors, such as Freespace 2, Skyrim and so on, there are a lot of games out there that deserve such tools and don’t have them. There are also games that don’t have such tools and yet don’t really need them, as enterprising programmers and designers find their way into their guts regardless, such as Digital Anvil’s Freelancer. I then began to wonder why some games have these tools while others don’t…
Continue reading “Spacing Out: Tools and Trust” »
You Magnificent Son of A Bitch…
Welcome to episode #09 of the Space Game junkie Podcast! In this episode, Jim and I bring on Gamers With Jobs CEO Shawn “Certis” Andrich to discuss if space games are just “chasing a dot”, as he called them previous. In a surprise — to me at least, and pleasantly so — the discussion evolves and turns into an intervention where we discuss how space action games have become kinda samey in terms of lack of space, lack of place and so on to help Shawn find some new games. It was a fun, spirited discussion. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
We talked about a looooooot of games, and you can find links to all of them below in the show notes. We hope you enjoy the show, and invite you to comment here or on the forum, as well as use our RSS or iTunes feeds to subscribe to us. Thanks for listening, and have a great day! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #09: Chasing Dots and Games” »
dangerous, darkstar one, diaspora, drox operative, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, freelancer, freespace 2, freespace open, Frontier: Elite II, FTL, galaxy on fire, Homeworld, independence war 2, limit theory, Rules of Engagement, skyjacker, Space Rangers 2, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, Star Wars: X-Wing, star wars: x-wing alliance, Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Starshatter, strike suit zero, wing commander, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn, x series
SO MUCH NEWSINESS!
Helllllloooooo my wonderful awesome friends! I’m back! I think! *checks* Yes, I’m back! Sorry for the lack of news posts, got surprisingly busy all over the place and just didn’t have the time. I do now though, yay! There’s a lot to go over, so let’s dive in, it’s all warm and stuff! ;)
- EVE Online – On the official site, they have a video of true stories from the first decade of the game (which will be embdedded below). The Mittani has articles on cruise missile fixes, mission fixes and news about an alliance slapfight.
- Drox Operative – The big news is MOD TOOLS! Yay! There’s also a new patch that fixes trade requests and other things.
- StarMade – Several updates include news on server crashes, a custom docking area, wedge shapes, faction options and other bugfixes.
- Star Conflict – There are updates on new gold standards as well as a new combat specialization.
- Star Citizen – There’s new art of the 300i fighter, which is alovely. There’s also a naming system poll, a spotlight on fan RADD and a new update to their writer’s guide.
- Voidnex – Thanks to reader Goomich for pointing out this new game to me. Looks nifty!
- StarDrive – The good folks at RTS Guru have written a preview of the game.
- FTL – You can now buy FTL-themed merchandise, such as a Kestrel hoodie or a pirate t-shirt. I so want the hoodie. There’s also an interview with the devs over on PixelJudge.
- Solar War – There’s a new version of the game available, which adds support for more factions, event chains and even more.
- Freespace Port – Version 3.4 of the port of Descent: Freespace to the Freespace 2 engine has been released! Go git it!
- Rogue System – Their new website has a chart that shows the progress of the game, which is awesome to see. I want it now though. ;)
- Infinite Space 3 – On their Kickstarter, they’ve announced a soundtrack as well as stretch goals! Go check it out and kick ‘em something!
- Mok Force – Thanks to Rock, Paper Shotgun for writing about this neat-looking shmup.
- Homeworld 2 Complex – The latest version of this extensive mod has been released on ModDB. You can see a trailer of it in action below.
- Neptune’s Pride II – Thanks again to Rock, Paper Shotgun for letting us know about a new version of this popular browser-based space conquest game.
- Endless Space – The Amplitude folks need help to save the Sowers.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new build which adds event handling and a new UI, among other things. The game also has its own cursor now, as well as velociraptors. ;)
- Stars of Call – According to a post on our very own forum, there’s a new version of this nifty Naev total conversion.
- Infinity – There’s a HUGE update on planetary engine improvements, which looks FANTASTIC. Can they FINALLY release this thing please? ;)
- Kerbal Space Program – As reported by Eurogamer, there was some confusion and outcry over the notion of paid expansions for the game. This was thankfully dealt with by a post from the devs on their blog.
- Void of Darkness – The dev has begun writing the dialog for all the alien races, apparently.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a new Legacy of Romulus dev blog entry to read.
- And Here the Wheel – There’s a new podcast episode for y’all to listen to. :)
- Elite: Dangerous – There’s a new Fiction Diary for the game on YouTube, as well as embedded below.
- Galactic Patrol 2013 – There’s a new Kickstarter for this game that has the blessings of the original Galactic Patrol folks. Go check it out.
- Joystick Required – This was a space game news site run by a Jumpgate colleague of mine back in the day, and it’s back, so go check it out and say hello!
- Strike Vector – This is spacey enough to warrant inclusion. Just go watch this trailer. Seriously, watch it.
- AI War – There’s a new patch called “Nebulous Diligence” which works to improve the AI.
We’re not done yet folks! We have DEALS too!! Let’s do this!
- Space Pirates and Zombies is on sale at GMG for $5.08
- Beat Hazard EVERYTHING is part of the latest Indie Gala weekly bundle, and you can get all of it f or $1.87, which is a FREAKING steal people.
- Gamestop is having a spring sale on everything Stardock, which includes:
- AI War is also part of a Steam weeklong sale, in which everything is 75% off.
- There’s also an IndieFort Spring Bundle which has both AI War and Zigfrak for $7.99.
FINALLY, the folks at Arcen games (who made the aforementioned AI War) have announced a new game called Skyward Collapse, which looks awesome.
That’s it! Have a great day folks!
Get’cher Videos Right Here…
ai war fleet command, And Here the Wheel, beat hazard, beyond beyaan, Descent: Freespace, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, eve online, freespace 2, FTL, Galactic Civilizations I, galactic civilizations ii, galactic patrol 2013, homeworld 2, Infinite Space 3, infinity, Kerbal Space Program, mok force, neptune's pride ii, rogue system, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, solar war, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, stardrive, starmade, stars of call, strike vector, void of darkness, voidnex, zigfrak