SO MUCH NEWSINESS!
Helllllloooooo my wonderful awesome friends! I’m back! I think! *checks* Yes, I’m back! Sorry for the lack of news posts, got surprisingly busy all over the place and just didn’t have the time. I do now though, yay! There’s a lot to go over, so let’s dive in, it’s all warm and stuff! ;)
- EVE Online – On the official site, they have a video of true stories from the first decade of the game (which will be embdedded below). The Mittani has articles on cruise missile fixes, mission fixes and news about an alliance slapfight.
- Drox Operative – The big news is MOD TOOLS! Yay! There’s also a new patch that fixes trade requests and other things.
- StarMade – Several updates include news on server crashes, a custom docking area, wedge shapes, faction options and other bugfixes.
- Star Conflict – There are updates on new gold standards as well as a new combat specialization.
- Star Citizen – There’s new art of the 300i fighter, which is alovely. There’s also a naming system poll, a spotlight on fan RADD and a new update to their writer’s guide.
- Voidnex – Thanks to reader Goomich for pointing out this new game to me. Looks nifty!
- StarDrive – The good folks at RTS Guru have written a preview of the game.
- FTL – You can now buy FTL-themed merchandise, such as a Kestrel hoodie or a pirate t-shirt. I so want the hoodie. There’s also an interview with the devs over on PixelJudge.
- Solar War – There’s a new version of the game available, which adds support for more factions, event chains and even more.
- Freespace Port – Version 3.4 of the port of Descent: Freespace to the Freespace 2 engine has been released! Go git it!
- Rogue System – Their new website has a chart that shows the progress of the game, which is awesome to see. I want it now though. ;)
- Infinite Space 3 – On their Kickstarter, they’ve announced a soundtrack as well as stretch goals! Go check it out and kick ‘em something!
- Mok Force – Thanks to Rock, Paper Shotgun for writing about this neat-looking shmup.
- Homeworld 2 Complex – The latest version of this extensive mod has been released on ModDB. You can see a trailer of it in action below.
- Neptune’s Pride II – Thanks again to Rock, Paper Shotgun for letting us know about a new version of this popular browser-based space conquest game.
- Endless Space – The Amplitude folks need help to save the Sowers.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new build which adds event handling and a new UI, among other things. The game also has its own cursor now, as well as velociraptors. ;)
- Stars of Call – According to a post on our very own forum, there’s a new version of this nifty Naev total conversion.
- Infinity – There’s a HUGE update on planetary engine improvements, which looks FANTASTIC. Can they FINALLY release this thing please? ;)
- Kerbal Space Program – As reported by Eurogamer, there was some confusion and outcry over the notion of paid expansions for the game. This was thankfully dealt with by a post from the devs on their blog.
- Void of Darkness – The dev has begun writing the dialog for all the alien races, apparently.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a new Legacy of Romulus dev blog entry to read.
- And Here the Wheel – There’s a new podcast episode for y’all to listen to. :)
- Elite: Dangerous – There’s a new Fiction Diary for the game on YouTube, as well as embedded below.
- Galactic Patrol 2013 – There’s a new Kickstarter for this game that has the blessings of the original Galactic Patrol folks. Go check it out.
- Joystick Required – This was a space game news site run by a Jumpgate colleague of mine back in the day, and it’s back, so go check it out and say hello!
- Strike Vector – This is spacey enough to warrant inclusion. Just go watch this trailer. Seriously, watch it.
- AI War – There’s a new patch called “Nebulous Diligence” which works to improve the AI.
We’re not done yet folks! We have DEALS too!! Let’s do this!
- Space Pirates and Zombies is on sale at GMG for $5.08
- Beat Hazard EVERYTHING is part of the latest Indie Gala weekly bundle, and you can get all of it f or $1.87, which is a FREAKING steal people.
- Gamestop is having a spring sale on everything Stardock, which includes:
- AI War is also part of a Steam weeklong sale, in which everything is 75% off.
- There’s also an IndieFort Spring Bundle which has both AI War and Zigfrak for $7.99.
FINALLY, the folks at Arcen games (who made the aforementioned AI War) have announced a new game called Skyward Collapse, which looks awesome.
That’s it! Have a great day folks!
Get’cher Videos Right Here…
ai war fleet command, And Here the Wheel, beat hazard, beyond beyaan, Descent: Freespace, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, eve online, freespace 2, FTL, Galactic Civilizations I, galactic civilizations ii, galactic patrol 2013, homeworld 2, Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars, infinity, Kerbal Space Program, mok force, neptune's pride ii, rogue system, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, solar war, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, stardrive, starmade, stars of call, strike vector, void of darkness, voidnex, zigfrak
Packed to the Gills with News!
Haaaaaaaaaay youuuuu guuuuyyysss! How are ya? I hope y’all are doing awesomely! Me, I’m still under the weather a bit, but feeling better today, so I’ve got a frakton of news to get off my chest, finally. Let’s dive in!
- First off, there have been a TON of Drox Operative reviews, and you can read ‘em over on GAMINGtruth, Giant Bomb (video, which I’ll embed below), Bytten, RPG Codex and Gametactics. Gamercast author Charlotte Wooley also named it one of her top games of 2012! Huzzah!
- Indie Game Magazine has their own nice things to say about Zigfrak. :) They also have a small article on Elite: Dangerous.
- Over on GamaSutra, they have a lovely article about the making of Spacewar! and how it relates to video game history.
- Dominion has a whole new website for you to feast upon!
- The Indie Games Weblog has listed their top 10 indie strategy games of 2012, and FTL made the list (but I won’t say where). ;)
- Over on the Starship Corporation website, they have new screenshots, a new version of the ship designer for you to try, and on YouTube they have a new tutorial to go with it (embedded below).
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has an article about the recently released Ur-Quan Masters HD update.
- There were two small patches released for OreSome, according to their IndieDB page.
- 4xgamer has word that a Halo mod for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is in the works, for all you Halo fans out there. ;)
- The Predestination website has a Kickstarter wrap-up article that goes into excellent detail about where they money is going and so forth. They even have graphs!
- Vendetta Online has a new patch that lets you easily add waypoints to the navmap, plus a buncha bug fixes.
- Starfarer has been renamed to Starsector “for business reasons” and has a new version out with a new character screen and other improvements.
- There’s a new dev build of Star Made entitled “Factions”. I assume that’s what it adds but I’ve yet to try it.
- OMG, there’s an update on the Space Rangers HD: A World Apart page! They say the game will be released Q1 of this year in both English and Russian at the same time! Yay!
- According to Massively,the long-thought-dead Firefly-based MMO, Firefly Universe Online, is now moving forward after receiving “well wishes” from Fox and announcing it on their Facebook page. However, after being accused of fraud due to an association with the Yes Men — who apparently are known for making fake media announcements — the devs of the game, DarkCryo, responded to the allegations on GameInformer. Wheeee!
- Over on their Kickstarter, the Slipspace folks have announced support for the Ouya console.
- According to their offical site, you can now find RetroBooster on PenguinSpy, a Linux gaming network thingy.
- Space Sector is running a contest for some StarDrive beta keys. Go! Enter!
- We have two Elite: Dangerous related videos. The first is an official video teasing some Cobra combat, while the second is a fan-made short film called The Return of the Cobra. These will both be embedded below.
- Finally in the space-game related news portion of our show, the SolCommand website is soliciting suggestions for more game models for their artists to create.
Next up, in related gaming news, THQ’s assets are going up for auction on 1/22/13, according to VG247. This includes Volition, creator of the Freespace games. Best of luck to all of them. Then, Kickstarter sent out a little The Best of 2012 slideshow, and what’s interesting here is that while no space games are mentioned specifically, there was $83,144,565 backed for games projects from 1,378,143 backers, which is more than any other category by a wide margin, so yay for games!
In non-gaming news, we have great ship designs from Michael Tassie and Darren Bartley over on the Concept Ships blog.
Finally, there’s unsurprisingly — after all the holiday sales — only one deal today, that being Star Wolves 3: Civil War for $14.99 on Green Man Gaming Today.
WHEW! I need a nap now. ;) Have an awesome day folks!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals – 1/7-8/13” »
Descent: Freespace, dominion, drox operative, elite: dangerous, firefly universe online, freespace 2, FTL, oresome, predestination, retrobooster, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, slipspace, Space Rangers HD A War Apart, spacewar!, star made, stardrive, starfarer, starsector, starship corporation, The Ur-Quan Masters, Vendetta Online, zigfrak
I Wanna Fly Around in This!
At the very beginning of the amazing Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy book, it includes a short set of instructions on how to leave Earth. When I read that, a part of my brain wanted to follow every detail so I could leave this small, confining planet as quickly as possible.
See, I’ve wanted to leave Earth ever since I was four years old and saw the Enterprise for the first time (the “Star Trek” one, of course). It just feels so…SMALL to me. So confining. This is why, ever since then, I’ve dived into any piece of science fiction I could get my grubby paws on. It gave me a window into new worlds that I could only visit in my imagination, and one of the best windows has been video games that take place in space. While I was playing around with some space game or another the other day, I began to wonder what it was about space that was so fascinating, and why I was so very drawn to any game that took place in its vast expanses.
This is What I Came up With…
OMG! A SALE!
Hey y’all, GOG’s 2012 DRM-Free Holiday Sale has begun, and they have 50% off nearly every dang thing, plus they’ll be having daily deals with 75% off a particular game each day as well! For spacey gamers, this means the following:
There are a ton of classics on there, so if you don’t already own ‘em, snag ‘em now! Happy shopping! :)
darkstar one, Descent 1, descent 2, descent 3, Descent: Freespace, fragile allegiance, freespace 2, FTL, haegemonia, Independence War, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos, Master of Orion 1, master of orion 2, master of orion 3, nexus the jupiter incident, Star Control 1, star control 2, star control 3, star wolves, Starflight 1, starflight 2, Wing Commander 1, wing commander 2, Wing Commander 3 Heart of the Tiger, Wing Commander 4 The Price of Freedom, Wing Commander: Privateer
I Love Both of These Things! :)
Hey y’all, happy gorram Friday!!! Let’s get this weekend STAAAAARTEEEEED with some spacey game news and dealsies!!!! LET’S DO THIS:
- The Kickstarter for Elite: Dangerous has finally added some visuals in the form of concept art and a video with David Braben which shows some scant footage of the game behind him. Now, while I try to stay positive on this blog as much as possible, the folks at Rock, Paper Shotgun have no such reservations, and pretty much mirror how I feel about the whole thing. :/
- Speaking of which, the developer of the open spacey game which happens to be called Dangerous has some words about the naming of the new Elite game, his concern over the naming of the new game and the confusion it might cause with his.
- The Kickstarter for Strike Suit Zero has announced two new tiers, the $650 tier which includes a Thurstmaster Warthog HOTAS (freaking SWEET throttle and stick), and a $300 tier which includes a headset, a mouse and a….bag? Yeah, a bag. Hope it’s an awesome bag at least. ;)
- Over on the official Star Citizen website, they have a new Friday update with word on new stretch goals, news on physical add-ons and more.
- Finally in the news today, in Ring Runner news, over on Kickstarter they’ve announced an AMA on Reddit with the devs to start at 3PM Pacific time today. There’s also a first look video of the game (which I’ll embed below) made by fan 5nak3 that’s totally worth checking out.
Finally, in deals news, GOG is having a sale on every Interplay game they have this weekend, because apparently the price of some will be going up soon as part of a new deal with ‘em to bring more games to the site. There are a lot of amazing games in this sale, all for $2.99, such as:
Plus a lot of amazing games that aren’t spacey games, such as Sacrifice, M.A.X., Conquest of the New World, Shogo, Shattered Steel and many more. If you don’t already have a bunch of these amazing games, get ‘em now!
That’s it for today! Have a wonderful weekend, and I’ll see y’all on Monday!
Continue reading “Spacey Games and Deals – 11/9/12” »
Whole New Games for Mac! Yay!
Well GOG has certainly been busy, as they had a conference today to launch a buncha things, many of interest to space gamers. First off, they’re bringing many of their games to the Mac platform, several for the first time! In spacey game goodness, this includes:
FTL, which was already available on Mac, can now also be down for the platform through GOG if you have a copy there as well. This is AWESOME for Mac games, and I’m truly and honestly thrilled for y’all. :) I tried to run one of their games (non-spacey game, Theme Hospital) on my MacBook Pro here at work and it worked like a champ. I am VERY wary of installing Starflight, as I will get NOTHING done. ;)
Snag This, People!
They’re also launching a deal in which you can pay what you want for various Interplay games, and for $34.99, you get 32 games, which is a freaking bargain because of course you get Freespace and Freespace 2 among other non-spacey classics. This deal runs for the next two weeks. I’d jump it but I already own pretty much every game in the catalog already. ;)
Enjoy the deals and the new games! ;)
It's a Supernova of News!!!
Heeeeelllo everyone, how y’all been? Me, I’ve been busy, not only with work, but with some articles for here as well, so a lot of news has happened in the interim. I’ve got a ton to go through, so let’s get started:
- According to Eurogamer, the long, long, long delayed fan-based project, Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn will finally, FINALLY be released on March 22. I know I’ll be trying out this bad boy. You can also see a trailer below after the cut.
- There’s a mod being planned for The Ur-Quan Masters that will be called Project 6014 according to this forum post. This mod takes place shortly after the end of Star Control II, so it should be a good time.
- In the world of EVE Online, Eve News 24 has a fascinating article about a few folks two trillion ISK due to exploits in the contract system. The dev blog also has new entries on little improvements, a streaming FanFest feed, launcher issues and price indices for February.
- In Starfarer news, Space Sector has their own look at the game, which also got a new version released recently.
- RTSGuru has some tidbits about beta updates and changes to the current beta version of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.
- There’s a new blog entry regarding Starfare that involves modding that looks pretty neat.
- PC Magazine has a list of the “10 Classic Computer RPGs” and, as I’d hoped, Starflight makes the list.
- According to folks at the recent Game Developers Conference (GDC), folks compared Miner Wars 2081 to Descent, Freespace and Red Faction, which seems fair I s’pose. There’s also a new version of the game available for beta testers.
- Speaking of the GDC, the folks behind FTL: The Game wrote up a little recap of their experience there. Their Kickstarter page also recently passed $100,000. Woooow!
- There’s a new patch available for Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter that has a few critical fixes.
- Over on the Beyond Beyaan blog, Brent admits he’s never played Master of Orion on impossible difficulty, and then discusses the result of his first attempt to do so. He also has entries on his game, covering topics like the combat screen (video embedded below), a tutorial and a new version!
- There’s a new version of Arvoch Alliance available that fixes a few things, but not the difficulty wall, apparently *grumble*. Thanks Blue’s News for the tip.
- Apparently the composer for the music in Descent Freespace and Freespace 2, Dan Wentz, is now on the Hard Light Productions forums to get help making remixes of the music from those games. AWESOME!
- According to VG247, the lead ship designer for Star Trek Online, Adam Williams (blog with ship designs here), has left Crpytic to join Bungie. Sad, since I did love the designs of STO.
- There’s a new version of Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator, according to this forum post,, which adds among other things, a GM console! Cool!
- There’s a new version of Kerbal Space Program that you can buy in their store, according to their dev blog.
- There’s an update for the exceptional Really Big Sky over on Steam.
- Out of Eight Reviews has reviewed both Star Hammer Tactics as well as Lunar Flight.
- If you want more Lunar Flight reviews, you can head over to Impulse Gamer, MetaGem and IGN Germany.
- In somewhat related gamey news, Cliff Harris — the bloke behind Gratiutous Space Battles — is now taking pre-orders for his new game, Gratuitous Tank Battles, which looks pretty cool.
- Finally, in non-gamey news, the Concept Ships blog has some fantastic concept art for spaceships from an upcoming web-comic called Carpe Chaos that look REALLY cool, so check out parts 1, 2 and 3.
WHEW! That was a lot! Thanks for reading y’all, and have a great weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 3-16-12” »
Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator, arvoch alliance, beyond beyaan, Descent, Descent: Freespace, eve online, freespace 2, galaxy of fire 2 hd, gratuitous space battles, Gratuitous Tank Battles, Kerbal Space Program, Lunar Flight, master of orion, miner wars 2081, Project 6014, really big sky, Red Faction, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, star control 2, star hammer tactics, star trek online, starfarer, starflight, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, The Ur-Quan Masters, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn