A Little Bit of EVERYTHING…
Hey folks, welcome to the latest installment of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. Sorry for the delay in getting this to y’all, but real life sometimes creeps in and makes its presence known above all else. ;) That said, every now and then Jim and I feel it’s good to just sit back, shoot the crap and catch up with the news, what we’ve been playing and so on, so that’s what this latest show is about, and let me tell y’all, we are allllll over the place, in a good way. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we look forward to your comments and thank you for listening! Enjoy the show!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #37: Random Rambling Potpourri Pirates of Plenty” »
ai war, distant worlds, drox operative, Eclipse, endless space, Evochron Mercenary, freelancer, galactic civilizations ii, galactic civilizations iii, master of orion, nexus the jupiter incident, skyjacker, star citizen, star made, Star Wars Squadrons, star wolves, starbase orion, starflight, the last federation, The Mandate
MOAR NEWS FOR YOU!
Hello my friends, and happy Wednesday! I hope y’all are more awake than I am! SOOO TIRED! However, there’s news to report, and I’m trying to do this at least regularly enough that nothing gets missed, so let’s do this thing called news!
- Star Citizen – Tomorrow, 10/10/13, is the one year anniversary of the announcement of this game, so the RSI folks will have a celebratory livestream tomorrow, as well as a sale on some ships (ouch, my wallet!), but they’re also running a photo contest. They also passed the $21 million mark, which allows for salvage operations, something I am VERY excited about. There is also a Showdown news update and a guide to the Ellis system.
- Tactical Space Command – This Mac/iOS-only game is very much akin to “Harpoon in space”, as the developer who emailed me to let me know if its existence calls it. It’s pretty cool, so check it out.
- Voindex Frontier – Here’s another game that’s new-to-me, as it were. Looks pretty cool. :)
- SkyJacker – These folks have now launched their fourth Kickstarter campaign, so let’s hope this time they succeed!
- Epic Space Game – Their Kickstarter succeeded!!! YAY! Congrats to Edward and his team!
- Lunar Flight – The official site has an update on the upcoming Oculus Rift build for y’all to gawk at.
- FTL – Over on Quarter to Three, they’re running Starship Week, and there’s a new entry looking at this game and it’s impact (don’t worry, I have some stuff over there too I’ll link to separately).
- Kerbal Space Program – A new edition of KSP Weekly is up, and word that the long-awaited 0.22 version has entered the experimental phase, which brings it that much closer to release.
- Privateer 2 – Some enterprising fans of the game have released a patch which fixes some issues with the GOG version of the game, such as the interlaced video and such. I tried it but it made my joystick go all kerbibble, so I might go without.
- Drox Operative – A new beta patch for the game fixes memory leaks and a host of other issues.
- 90Edges Universe – The official blog has a progress update on how the game is coming along.
- X-Wing – The Old Game Magazines site has an image of an original ad for the game from 1993! Cool! Certainly brings back memories, it does.
- Wing Commander – From the CIC, we get word of both a Hellcat modeled into Wing Commander Academy and a 3D model of good old Bluehair from the first two games.
- Galactose – The official site has word of a new character outline.
- Star Trek Online – We have a couple of blog entries from the developers to look at, one on comm arrays and another on the Avenger-class cruiser (which is a damned sexy ship).
- Star Wars: The Old Republic – Apparently they’re getting a 12v12 online space combat arena thingy. Whoopie.
Next up, we have several sales, including:
- First up, Groupees is having a 1C Mega Bundle, in which you can buy two or more games for a SONG, and they include all three Star Wolves games as well as Parkan II, so jump on this as they’re all awesome.
- Speaking of Star Wolves, the Indie Gala Store is having a bundle of all three games for $4.99, but the Groupees bundle is still cheaper.
- Bundle Stars is having a great Quickfire Indie Bundle which includes Space Pirates and Zombies for $3.49, which is a decent deal for the other games you also get as well.
- Finally, FireFlower games is having a Sci-Fi Sale which includes games such as Ring Runner, The Tomorrow War and, again, all Star Wolves games. The prices aren’t the greatest though, but I wanted to make y’all aware of it regardless.
Finally, in related news, the aforementioned Not on Steam Sale is over, but apparently it has a huge success. Also, the latest game from those hardworking folks at Arcen Games, Bionic Dues, is now available.
That’s it for today folks, have a great one!
90Edges Universe, drox operative, epic space game, FTL, Kerbal Space Program, Lunar Flight, Parkan II, Privateer 2, Ring Runner, skyjacker, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, star trek online, star wolves, Tactical Space Command, the tomorrow war, Voindex Frontier, wing commander, x-wing
It’s Just Piling Up Today…
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay friends, how are you? Welcome back from the weekend, and happy Monday! I hope y’all are having a great day! I know I am because there’s just so much spacey gameyness going on! ;) Let’s dive in, shall we?
- Limit Theory – A new Limit Theory Prototype has been released, and while only those who pledged at the $75 level and above during the Kickstarter can PLAY it, there’s a video tutorial of it we can watch at least while we wait for beta access. It’ll also be embedded below. I wanna play this noooooooow. *weeps*
- Star Citizen – The Aurora fighter has been fully detailed in a lovely new brochure, and there’s a sale on the craft as well, this week only. It’s selling well enough for there to be a thank you post with more info, art and so on. I’m very tempted to get one…
- EVE Online – The Mittani has just a deluge of reports from FanFest, including the keynote, CCP Presents, art developments, CSM8 winners, as well as other articles covering the great fuel crunch and Heydieles and Old Man Star changing hands. On the dev blog, there are articles covering resource rebalancing in Odyssey as well as a resource rebalancing as well. Then, according to multiple sources, there will be an EVE Online TV and comic book series using player-submitted stories. Wow. Finally, some CCP programmers made a first-person dogfighting game called EVR that looks pretty damned cool.
- Infinite Space 3 – The good folks at Digital Eel made their Kickstarter goal! Congrats to them!!!
- StarDrive – Hold the Line has an interview with Dan DiCicco about the game.
- Void of Darkness – Seems the main dev is running into some coding problems. ;)
- Ring Runner – There’s a lovely preview of the game over on Greenlit Gaming. This reminds me that I need to add this to my preview queue…
- StarLife – There’s a preview article covering colinies, events and regions for y’all to dig into.
- Dominion – After testing a new pitch, these folks are gonna launch a new Kickstarter campaign on May 4th. Best of luck to ‘em!S
- StarMade – There’s a new post detailing startup sync and missile changes.
- Drox Operative – The folks at Indie Game Magazine has a Let’s Try video of the game, which I’ll embed below.
- Epic Space Game – A new update brings smoother mouse zooming, changes to jump drives and a lot more.
- OreSome – In a recent IndieDB post, apparently multiplayer is being experimented with. You can now also buy the game on GamersGate.
- And Here the Wheel – The author of this novel based on Elite: Dangerous has a progress update for us all to read.
Whew, that’s a mouthful right there, but we also have deals! These include:
Then, in somewhat related news, some of the developers from the original Homeworld have launched their new RTS, Hardware: Shipbreakers, which sadly doesn’t appear to take place in space. Boo. Finally, SpaceSector has posted its latest list of the Kickstarters that made it and didn’t, which is a fun read.
That’s it for now folks. Have an awesome day!!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 4/29/13: Back to Work!” »
And Here the Wheel, drox operative, elite: dangerous, epic space game, eve online, galactic civilizations, gemini wars, Homeworld, Infinite Space 3, limit theory, oresome, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, star citizen, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, stardrive, starlife, starmade, the tomorrow war, void of darkness
I Will Throw This Brick of News Through All of Your Windows! ;)
Hey y’all, happy Wednesday, and welcome back from Christmas break (if you had one, that is)! How was everyone’s holiday, and what did y’all get? ;) Mine was awesome, and I hope yours was too! Now with that said, let’s see what’s happened over the break…
- Over on Space Sector, Adam has an interview with Brain and Nerd CEO Brendan Drain regarding Predestination as well as a rather scathing review of Sword of the Stars II.
- Speaking of Predestination, their Kickstarter has been updated with a galaxy map prototype video (embedded after the cut) and more details on colonization, which looks cooler and cooler the more I read about it.
- In FTL news, there’s a new update that adds colorblind mode, specific action hotkeys and a lot more. Forbes also put the game at the top of their Most Challenging Games of 2012 list! Congrats, I think? ;)
- Over on the CRPG Addict (which you might recall inspired this site), he takes a look at the two Space games. I’ve not played Space II yet, but Space was surely a pickle.
- Over on the Kickstarter for Skyjacker, they have a new update covering alternative payment methods, content generation and more. The vids will be embedded below.
- There’s a new update for Vendetta Online which mostly consists of bugfixes.
- PC Gamer has an article about their recent experience with Freespace 2 after a new install with the Freespace Open additions. It’s a good read, but I think I’ve read it before…
- The Star Conflict folks are having a holiday-based contest where you can send your holiday greeting to the community. Pretty cool!
- There’s a new BorderSpace dev update video (embedded below also) which shows off a new H.U.D., new targeting modes and more! It’s SEXY!
- There’s a new mod for X3: Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude called X-Tended – Terran Conflict 2.0 which looks really damned cool. That one is coming up on my review list, so I’ll have to give it a whirl.
- According to 4xgamer, the Star Lords folks have relesed their second alpha (registration required). Wow, I thought that project was dead in the water, so good on them! :)
- Peter over at Matchsticks for My Eyes has his initial impressions of Drox Operative.
- The Galaxial blog has a new post looking at user interface customization, which is nifty.
- Finally, the Sol Command website has some new models of asteroids for your modeling needs.
In non-spacey game news, the folks behind AI War, Arcen Games, have released the beta for their 2.0 version of A Valley Without Wind. All existing owners of AVWW get 2.0 for free, and you can get ‘em both right now on Steam for just $5.99, which is an amazing deal. I put a decent amount of time into AVWW and found it a ton of fun, so I can’t wait for the sequel.
Finally, in deals, Get Games is having their Cheap as Chips sale and you can get Star Wolves, Star Wolves 2 and Star Wolves 3: Civil War for $2.70 each, the chepest I’ve ever seen ‘em, and totally worth it. :)
That’s it for today folks! I hope y’all have a lovely day, and I thank you for visiting and reading, as always! :)
You Want Videos? Right This Way!
ai war, Borderspace, drox operative, freespace 2, FTL, galaxial, predestination, skyjacker, space i, Star Conflict, star lords, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, Sword of the Stars II, Vendetta Online, x3 albion prelude, x3 terran conflict
IT OWNS YOU! ;)
The Steam Holiday Sale is ON LIKE DONKEY KONG, and here are all the spacey games I’ve been able to find (which is similar to the Thanksgiving sale in a lot of ways):
No go buy stuff! ;)
aces of the galaxy, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, darkstar one, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, flotilla, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gratuitous space battles, Gratuitous Tank Battles, Lunar Flight, nexus the jupiter incident, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, sol exodus, Space Empires V, space pirates and zombies, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, starpoint gemini, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II, x superbox
OMG! A SALE!
Hey y’all, GOG’s 2012 DRM-Free Holiday Sale has begun, and they have 50% off nearly every dang thing, plus they’ll be having daily deals with 75% off a particular game each day as well! For spacey gamers, this means the following:
There are a ton of classics on there, so if you don’t already own ‘em, snag ‘em now! Happy shopping! :)
darkstar one, Descent 1, descent 2, descent 3, Descent: Freespace, fragile allegiance, freespace 2, FTL, haegemonia, Independence War, independence war 2, master of orion, Master of Orion II, Master of Orion III, nexus the jupiter incident, star control, star control 2, star control 3, star wolves, starflight, starflight 2, Wing Commander 1, wing commander 2, Wing Commander 3 Heart of the Tiger, Wing Commander 4 The Price of Freedom, Wing Commander: Privateer
OMG THE SALES! RUN! SAVE YOURSELVES!
Happy Black Friday y’all! I hope y’all had a lovely Thanksgiving here in the US, and I hope y’all are jumping on all the sales today. In trying to help y’all out, I’m putting this post all the non-Steam sales on spacey games I can find. Here we go:
Warning: LONG List Ahead!
Armada 2526, arvoch alliance, arvoch conflict, dark horizon, darkstar one, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, endless space, evochron legends, Evochron Mercenary, Evochron Renegades, Galactic Civilizations I, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, genesis rising, Haegemonia - Legion of Iron, Haegemonia - The Solon Heritage, master of orion, Master of Orion III, o.r.b., Outforce, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, Smugglers IV, sol exodus, Space Trade, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, Starships Unlimited v3, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II, x3 albion prelude, x3 reunion, X3: Gold Edition, X3: Terran Conflic
You Magnificent Bastard!
Edit 2:Updated as of Black Friday morning with more deals.
Edit 1: This looks like a handily dandily tool to keep track of this stuff. Hope y’all find it helpful. :)
And we’re off! Once again, Steam is giving us the opportunity to throw money at them with another huge sale, the Steam Autumn Sale! So big, it deserves its own post! ;) Now, I don’t know all of the deals as I don’t have the time or energy to go through EEEEEVERYTHANG, but here’s the spacey game deals I did find (and please feel free to mention others in the comments.
First off, there’s an indie games sale which includes the following spacey game deals:
- FTL for $9.99 or with its soundtrack for $13.98. This one could be glitchy since the sale just began.
- Gemini Wars for $11.99
- Gratuitous Space Battles Complete Pack for $9.49 (or 75% off the individual game and 50% off each piece of DLC). This one is a STEAL.
- Galaxy on Fire II HD for $9.99, which is fantastic.
- Endless Space for $14.99 for the Admiral Edition, $17.49 for the Emperor Special Edition, and $1.70 to upgrade the Admiral to the Emperor Edition.
As for individual games, the ones I know of so far are:
So go have at it! Have fun, spend responsibly, and enjoy! Good luck, and good hunting my friends.
aces of the galaxy, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, endless space, Evochron Mercenary, FTL, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, galaxy on fire, gemini wars, gratuitous space battles, Lunar Flight, nexus the jupiter incident, sol exodus, Space Empires V, space pirates and zombies, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, starpoint gemini, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II, x superbox
This Turkey is Thankful I’m Not Eating It. ;)
Warning, incoming corniness alert. ;) As Thanksgiving approaches here in the U.S., I’ve been giving thought to who and what I have in my life to be thankful for. In my non-blogging life, I have a wonderful job, an amazing girlfriend, a cadre of the best friends a guy could ask for, adorable cats, my favorite car I’ve ever owned (yay Honda Fit!) and so much more. As this blog wonderfully takes up a good portion of my life, I tried to also think about what I’m thankful for in terms of the spacey gamey…er…space. Last year I listed the games I was thankful for, so this time, I’ll list the people I’m thankful for. :)
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey People I’m Thankful For” »
dangerous, elite, eve online, freespace 2, Jumpgate, sol exodus, space pirates and zombies, space rangers, spacewar!, star wars: tie fighter, star wolves, star wraith, zigfrak
Star Wolves 3 on the Kinda Cheap! ;)
Hey y’all, just an FYI that Beamdog is having a sale on all of their 1C games, and on the spacey side of things, this includes:
I’ve honestly seen these cheaper during sales elsewhere, but I wanted to let y’all know regardless. :)