We Need a Better Logo…
Hey everyone, welcome to episode #02 of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I try to become more streamlined and efficient (me especially), yet still discuss some news, some games, and our main topic, the best music from spacey games!
Podcast: Play in new window
All the notes for the show are below, and feel free to comment on the show either here in the comments or on our forum. Thanks for listening, and don’t forget if you want to subscribe, you can use the icons in the sidebar on the left for our RSS feed or iTunes page. Thanks again! Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #02: Give Me a Ship and a Song to Steer Her By…” »
conquest frontier wars, distant worlds, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, eve online, freelancer, freespace 2, FTL, galactic civilizations ii, Homeworld, really big sky, star ruler, star wars: tie fighter, Terminus, veil of darkness, wing commander, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn
SO MUCH NEWS!!!
Hello everyone, and happy Tuesday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, had a dentist appointment and no time to put into this, sadly. Fun times! This mean I have news from today, yesterday and the weekend to cover, so let’s dive in!
- Endless Space – There’s a new screenshot of a new Automaton hero, Mizn Ora-Yur, from the upcoming Virtual Awakening expansion. I love the look of it.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has some great EVE-based articles such as the sin of sloth in the game, news on a new battle of U930, a look at the sovereignty system, some unrest in the Li3 federation and finally, an interview with the folks behind the EVE documentary called “A Tale of Internet Spaceships“,
- Freespace 2 – Speaking of The Mittani, they take at look at the BEST SPACE COMBAT SIM EVER in their Nostalgia files.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new update entitled, “Information as Currency; the Rise of the InfoAgent” which talks about this career path.
- SlipSpace – There’s a new dev video on their Kickstarter page that I sadly can’t embed, but it looks nifty!
- Rogue System – FlightSim.com has a nice little blurb about the game. Michael also posted some thoughts on Kickstarter and a small article on how hardcore the game is. Finally, there’s a new startup video, which I’ll embed below.
- StarMade – There’s both a quick status update that followed the release of a new test build for folks to try, including me. ;)
- Beyond Beyaan – Spider! (He is our hero) Also, the Kickstarter has less than a day left, so if you wanna kick in, now’s the time. :)
- StarLife – The devs have set up a new forum for y’all to chat about the game.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a small update covering a possible roleplaying code of conduct. They also have Friday screenshots, as well as a new starship spotlight video, which I’ll embed below.
- Miner Wars 2081 – According to a tweet on their Twitter feed, the devs have begun work on modding support, as well as releasing “99% of the game source code”. I wonder what that other 1% would be…
- StarStrategy – More screenshots of things going pew pew!
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Maurice — you know, one of the gentlement I just interviewed about the game — posted an old review of the game from OMNI magazine that’s a real treat to read.
- ZigFrak – The folks at TechZwn (odd name) have a review of the game for y’all to enjoy.
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a cool new screenshot over on yfrog.
- Galaxial – There’s a new dev blog entry covering colony management that looks pretty awesome.
- Drox Operatove – There are some new tweets teasing features in the upcoming expansion.
- Space Nerds in Space – Thanks to Free Gamer for letting us know about this upcoming starship bridge simulator inspired by Artemis.
- Sword of the Stars II – Universal Gaming Reviews has a review and giveaway of the game.
- Strike Suit Zero – Speaking of giveaways, Space Sector is having one for this game.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new post detailing the latest changes to the game.
- Star Command – There’s a new update apologizing for their lack of updates and then giving a small update on their Kickstarter.
- Longshot – The dad at Dad’s Gaming Addiction did an article on the game.
- AI War – Now that their latest game is released, Arcen can now return to patching this one. ;)
- Void of Darkness – This is a new Starflight-inspired game sent into me by reader John, so thanks John!
- Wing Commander – Podcast Partner Jim sent over this awesome video of a hard-rock cover of the game’s theme. This will totally be embedded below the cut.
Next up, sales, and there’s a good chunk of stuff! Steam is having several midweek sales, which includes the following:
Finally, related news! First, since we cover older games here, I though that a new version of the Amiga emulator WinUAE being released was somewhat relevant, thanks to Indie Retro News for the update. Next, I missed this somehow but Artem Bank — the gentleman who composed the amazing music for Star Ruler — has two new bits of music out, “Facebook 5” and “Natural” which sound great. Finally, the Concept Ships blog has fantastic ships from Joseph Cross and a gorgeous orbiter concept from Rasmus Poulsen.
That’s it folks! WHEW! Thanks for visiting, and enjoy!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 2/25-26/13: Catching Up Edition” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, endless space, epic space game, eve online, freespace, galaxial, gemini wars, longshot, miner wars 2081, rogue system, Rules of Engagement 2, slipspace, Space Empires IV, Space Empires V, space nerds in space, star citizen, Star Command, star ruler, star trek online, starlife, starmade, starstrategy, stellar impact, strike suit zero, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, void of darkness, wing commander, zigfrak
IT OWNS YOU! ;)
The Steam Holiday Sale is ON LIKE DONKEY KONG, and here are all the spacey games I’ve been able to find (which is similar to the Thanksgiving sale in a lot of ways):
No go buy stuff! ;)
aces of the galaxy, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, darkstar one, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, flotilla, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gratuitous space battles, Gratuitous Tank Battles, Lunar Flight, nexus the jupiter incident, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, sol exodus, Space Empires V, space pirates and zombies, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, starpoint gemini, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, x superbox
*glug* SO MUCH *glug* NEWS
AAHHH! SO MUCH NEWS and DEALS! I’m drowning in it! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalp!
- *coughing up water* Okay, here’s a bit that both news and a deal! HAH! Didn’t expect that one huh? So y’all remember Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space? Well apparently the folks behind it, Infinite Space Games, severed ties with the folks at Shrapnel Games and can now sell their games on places like Desura and Steam for much cheaper than before. Speaking of cheap, it’ll also be on IndieGameStand starting next Monday! AWESOME. There’s also a new launch trailer you can watch by clicking the link or watching it below. :) This is awesome, as these guys deserve more sales.
- In other big news, Kerbal Space Program will soon be “sandbox complete” with what they’re calling their biggest update yet. To celebrate this and their second anniversary, they’ll be hosting a KerbalKon on November 30th with dev talks, interviews, contests and more! I hope to get an early review copy so I can finally, seriously dive into it and hopefully not crash every time I try to fly anything. ;)
- There’s a lot of Endless Space news today, including a new dev blog entry talking about multiplayer, a new trailer over on Facebook (which is too big to embed below) and a new review over on TruePCGaming.
- Over on the Kickstarter for Limit Theory, Josh wrote a little entry about reaching his funding goals, as did Rock, Paper Shotgun.
- In Star Citizen news, there’s an interview with Chris Roberts from PressPlayOnline (which I’ll embed below) as well as a new FAQ covering insurance and more.
- On the Kickstarter for Dominion – Episode 1, there’s word of a new screenshot and an updated video for the pitch.
- The FTL folks have an update on their Kickstarter page regarding those waiting for physical rewards.
- There a review of Miner Wars 2081 over on Green Lit Gaming.
- Finally, there’s an article on IncGamers about how the publisher model prevented Elite: Dangerous from being made. No further comment on that.
You thought I was done?! HAH, I’ve barely BEGUN! Now we have DEALS!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! First, the dev behind Dangerous let me know that his game is on sale on GamersGate, where you can the game itself for $10, the soundtrack for $4, or the deluxe edition (which includes both) for $12.50. That isn’t all GamersGate has for us today. They also have:
AND THAT’S NOT ALL! The folks at Green Man Gaming are having an Iceberg Interactive sale, which includes these spacey games:
FINALLY, over on the Concept Ships blog, they have some lovely ship designs from Dmitry Vishnevsky.
OMG I can breathe again! WHEW! That took pretty much my entire lunch break to write, so I hope y’all enjoyed it. Have a great day!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey Newsies and Dealsies – 11/27/12” »
arvoch alliance, arvoch conflict, dangerous, dominion, elite: dangerous, endless space, evochron legends, FTL, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, miner wars 2081, sol exodus, star citizen, star ruler, starpoint gemini, sword of the stars, weird worlds return to infinite space
OMG THE SALES! RUN! SAVE YOURSELVES!
Happy Black Friday y’all! I hope y’all had a lovely Thanksgiving here in the US, and I hope y’all are jumping on all the sales today. In trying to help y’all out, I’m putting this post all the non-Steam sales on spacey games I can find. Here we go:
Warning: LONG List Ahead!
Armada 2526, Armada 2526 Supernova, arvoch alliance, arvoch conflict, dark horizon, darkstar one, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, endless space, evochron legends, Evochron Mercenary, Evochron Renegades, Galactic Civilizations I, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, genesis rising, Haegemonia - Legion of Iron, Haegemonia - The Solon Heritage, master of orion, Master of Orion III, o.r.b., Outforce, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, Smugglers IV - Doomsday, sol exodus, Space Trade, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, Starships Unlimited v3, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, x3 albion prelude, x3 reunion, X3: Gold Edition, X3: Terran Conflic
You Magnificent Bastard!
Edit 2:Updated as of Black Friday morning with more deals.
Edit 1: This looks like a handily dandily tool to keep track of this stuff. Hope y’all find it helpful. :)
And we’re off! Once again, Steam is giving us the opportunity to throw money at them with another huge sale, the Steam Autumn Sale! So big, it deserves its own post! ;) Now, I don’t know all of the deals as I don’t have the time or energy to go through EEEEEVERYTHANG, but here’s the spacey game deals I did find (and please feel free to mention others in the comments.
First off, there’s an indie games sale which includes the following spacey game deals:
- FTL for $9.99 or with its soundtrack for $13.98. This one could be glitchy since the sale just began.
- Gemini Wars for $11.99
- Gratuitous Space Battles Complete Pack for $9.49 (or 75% off the individual game and 50% off each piece of DLC). This one is a STEAL.
- Galaxy on Fire II HD for $9.99, which is fantastic.
- Endless Space for $14.99 for the Admiral Edition, $17.49 for the Emperor Special Edition, and $1.70 to upgrade the Admiral to the Emperor Edition.
As for individual games, the ones I know of so far are:
So go have at it! Have fun, spend responsibly, and enjoy! Good luck, and good hunting my friends.
aces of the galaxy, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, endless space, Evochron Mercenary, FTL, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, galaxy on fire, gemini wars, gratuitous space battles, Lunar Flight, nexus the jupiter incident, sol exodus, Space Empires V, space pirates and zombies, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, starpoint gemini, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, x superbox
Look! News! And Deals Too!
Hey y’all, happy Tuesday! I hope all of our friends on the east coast of the US are okay, and that everyone affected by hurricane Sandy recovers quickly and easily. I dunno how to segue into gaming news after that, so I’ll just jump right in:
- The Star Citizen Kickstarter reached $750,000 last night, so every backer gets a AMX-1 Repair Droid in their garage. Nifty! I also forgot to post the second part of Rock, Paper Shotgun’s interview with Chris Roberts the other day, sorries. The official site also has new entries in the Cassandra’s Tears and Tales of the Crimson Kid stories.
- The Strike Suit Zero Kickstarter campaign now has a community Q&A video. I’d embed it, but it’s one of them Kickstarter vids, sorry. They’ve also announced you can customize your rewards as well, if you wish.
- The folks at Amplitude Studios have a new dev blog which gives a quick Halloween update regarding their second add-on for Endless Space.
- There’s a new “Fortress-size It” beta update for AI War which “greatly expands the module variety available to modular fortress owners in champion games”.
- Finally, in news, an EVE Online dev blog has announced the expansion of the buddy program, which looks pretty cool.
Now, we have a buncha sales today too!
- First off, Steam is having a Halloween Sale which includes a ton of games, most notably to us, the fantastic Space Pirates and Zombies for $2.49.
- Then, Green Man Gaming is having a Aliens & Space Promo, which includes the following spacey deals:
- Finally, the Stardock folks mentioned that Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity is on sale at a few retailers, but so far I can only find it on Gamestop for $4.98.
And finally, in non-spacey game news, the Concept Ships blog has a lovely spaceship painting by MANCHU.
That’s it for today folks, have a great day, and stay safe!
ai war fleet command, Armada 2526 Gold Edition, endless space, eve online, galaxy on fire, gemini wars, o.r.b., sins of a solar empire trinity, sol exodus, Space Empires IV, space empires: starfury, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, star ruler, starpoint gemini, stellar impact, strike suit zero
What? Look, I Know This Image is Stupid, But It’s Tough Finding Free Stock Images of ‘News’. :P
Hey y’all, happy Friday! I’d like to say this first week of daily news digests is going well! It’s keeping me focused on writing SOMETHING each day, and I hope it’s helping keep y’all informed as to all the spacey gamey goodness out there. Now with that said, let’s dive in:
- Sol Trader has been updated with new AI traders, revised UI screens, and save/load functionality. Seems like a good time to try this little beauty, huh? I know I’m gonna.
- According to a press release, the folks behind Iron Sky Invasion are using actors from the film — which I still need to see — in the game, which is pretty cool.
- The folks behind Blackspace posted an update on their Kickstarter page talking about new reward add-ons.
- Also on Kickstarter, the folks behind Ring Runner have announced a new award tier that allows users to help create a whole new skill for the game.
- And in the final Kickstarter update, the folks behind M.O.R.E. have announced that their game has been fully funded. Congrats to them!!!
- Paste Magazine has a great review of FTL up.
In today’s deals, we have a couple worth mentioning:
Thanks to Bryan for this tip! The folks at GetGames are having a Sci-Fi Sale
which includes the following spacey games (which are all pretty good deals in my opinion):
In non-space-gamey news, Cliff Harris — the bloke behind Gratuitous Space Battles – announced that after many years, his game Diplomacy 2 is finally on Steam! Congrats Cliff! Finally, there are some fantastic spaceship paintings by Adrien Girod over on the Concepts Ships blog.
That’s it for now y’all! Have a wonderful weekend!!
Armada 2526, blackspace, gemini wars, gratuitous space battles, iron sky invasion, m.o.r.e., o.r.b., really big sky, Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, sol trader, Space Empires IV, star fury, star ruler, starpoint gemini
Gaining a Larger Foothold in Space Gaming?
Last month, publisher Iceberg Interactive acquiring the publishing rights to three upcoming space games, StarDrive, Endless Space and the boxed collector’s edition of SOL: Exodus. Wondering if this was a trend, I contacted my press contact over at Iceberg to see if I could do a Q&A about all this, and more. I recently received the answers from CEO Erik Schreuder, which give a lot of insight into these recent acquisitions and much more. Please read the answers below, and enjoy! :)
Continue reading “Iceberg Interactive Q&A: Bringing Passion to Publishing” »
Music to Fill the Expanse of Space...
A little while back, after the Kinetic Void Kickstarter began, I got an email from one Artem Bank about doing the music for the game. This immediately got me excited as Artem had also done the music for Star Ruler, which was a great game with a fantastic soundtrack. I therefore contacted Artem and asked if I could do a Q&A, the results of which you can read below. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did. :)
Continue reading “Artem Bank Q&A: Scoring the Music of Space and Beyond…” »