So! Much! Color!
Haaaaaaaaayyyy guuuuuuuuys, how are ya? Sorry for the delay in this week’s podcast episode, but Jim and I were both busier than usual this week with the real life nonsense. That said, we had no guest this past week, so we just caught up on what we’ve been playing, the news and all sorts of other stuff. It was a fun time, so we hope you enjoy it.
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, please feel free to comment on the podcast below (I’m not creating specific forum threads anymore, no one uses ‘em ;) and follow us using RSS and/or iTunes. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #12: A Potpourri of Pew Pew” »
Cosmic Encounter Online, Dark Space, distant worlds, drox operative, Earth & Beyond, Eclipse, endless space, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, Icarus Ascends, Independence War, Jumpgate, legends of pegasus, limit theory, master of orion, Omega Boost, rodina, Salvation Prophecy, star citizen, Star Command, Star Trek Klingon Academy, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, stardrive, Strike Suit Infinity, Unstoppable Gorg, x3 albion prelude
Hey everyone, happy Friday! It’s the weekend, and I might actually get to play some games for the first time in over a WEEK. I am going through physical withdrawal, so I NEED to get some gaming in, not only to make the shaking stop, but to put more content on the site. It’s been a CRAZY week! We recorded three podcasts this week, and it was totally, TOTALLY worth all the effort. :) With that said, let’s close the week out with some news. :)
That’s it for gamey news, but we’re not done! There are deals today as well. GetGames is having a Strategy Sale, which includes these space games:
Finally, in somewhat related news, over on SolCommand there’s an updated Blackstar ship model for your modeling use.
Oh, wait, you were wondering where the third podcast was, since we only released two this week. Sorry, silly me, I forgot to mention that WE TALKED TO CHRIS ROBERTS YESTERDAY! OMG! That podcast will go up on Monday, so stay tuned, and have an awesome weekend! ;)
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 3/8/13: Prepping for The Weekend” »
beyond beyaan, dominion, edge of space, endless space, eve online, galaxial, gemini wars, legends of pegasus, rodina, star citizen, stardrive, starpoint gemini
No More of This, Apparently.
Thanks to the PlaySF Blog for this tip. According to a post on the Novacore website, the Legends of Pegasus developer is shutting down due to insolvency. Quote:
We very much regret to inform that the Novacore Studios UG has to quit the operation and further development work because of insolvency. We thank all of our employees and partners for their cooperation during the last two years.
Sad news, the game had potential and with patching, it could’ve been a fun game, but it’s a shame it was released as messy as it was. :/ My hearts go out to all of their employees, and I wish them luck and hope they find new opportunities as soon as possible.
Still Going Strong I Think. :)
Hey y’all, how y’all doin’? I realize I’ve not chimed in on how things are going with the blog in a while, so I thought I’d give y’all an update, let you know what’s coming up, and let you know what’s been going on in general. :)
Continue reading “State of the Blog: September 22nd, 2012” »
drox operative, endless space, FTL, galaxy of fire 2 hd, gemini wars, interstellar defense troops, legends of pegasus, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, stardrive, super star trek, torchlight ii
Hello my friends, how have you been? Me? I’ve been busy, exhausted and lacking in a bit of motivation, mostly due to the busy and exhausted bit. Dammit though, lots of news has happened, so out of my love for you guys, I need to keep y’all informed, right? :) Therefore, here’s just the TON of stuff that’s happened since the last round of snippets! Enjoy!
- There have been a ton of updates over on the Star Command Kickstarter page, in which they discuss making it halfway to their goal, answering questions, updating their tiers a bit and questions on their second Kickstarter campaign. Yowza.
- Over on IndieDB, ScrumbleShip has reached 0.15, which includes a new lighting system and much more.
- Arcen Games has released their AI War beta 5.042 patch, which includes more efficient rendering and tons of small fixes, and updates from their earlier 5.041 patch. They also have more news about their new expansion.
- In Legends of Pegasus news, they have a new update on the X’or race, as well as a trailer showing ‘em off. I’ll also be embedding this after the cut.
- After months without news, we finally get some regarding Strike Suit Zero in the form of a Dev Diary, which I’ll also embed after the cut. Rock, Paper Shotgun also has some coverage.
- RTSGuru has an interesting article entitled In Praise of 4X and Nudging it Forward discussing the need for some evolution in 4X games. I wonder if they’ve played Distand Worlds. ;)
- Space Sector has an article entitled Kickstarters That Made It and … Didn’t Make It – Update that bring us up to speed on the successful and not-so-successful spacey Kickstarters of late.
- The PlaySF Blog has an article entitled Children of Starflight, looking at the original series and some of its successors. They also let us all know about some new Spaceforce games that seemed to have falled under our radar, and they finally have a review of Star Wars: X-Wing.
- The Starmade site on IndieDB has been updated with a new version that includes many core upgrades such as performance upgrades, tons of bug fixes and more.
- The Beyond Beyaan blog has been updated with entries on planets and their economy, squadron UI and music, even with a sample MP3.
- The FleetCOMM : Operation Vigrior Kickstarter page has a new bootcamp update showcasing the difficulty of the game.
- The Skyjacker Kickstarter page — which only has 5 days to go people — has several new updates, including more info on pirates, a personal message asking for help in their success, and a meet the team video, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- Over on the Torchships Kickstarter page, there’s an update about the demo, which will hopefully be released on July 27th.
- According to Space Sector, they have an article about a 4X game I’d admittedly never heard of entitled Horizon still going strong and close to being feature complete.
- The FTL website has been updated regarding progress on the beta, such as a new save and exit feature and more.
- According to the Ensign-1 page on IndieDB, they’ve released a WYSIWYG level editor for your tinkering pleasure.
- The Predestination website has been updated with an article on their new combat system, as well as a video of its implementation. This will also be embedded after the cut.
- There are more Endless Space reviews over on Space Sector, The Scientific Gamer and Out of Eight PC Game Reviews, who also has a video of his playthrough of the game, which I’ll also embed below.
- Speaking of reviews, Rock, Paper Shotgun has posted their review of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, as does Ripten.
- Finally in non-game news, there are excellent example of ship art over on the Concept Ships blog from Jamie Jones and Dorje Bellbrook.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeew, that was a lot. :) I hope y’all feel updated now on the latest and greatest spacey news, and I hope y’all have an awesome day. :) Don’t forget to click below to see the videos I mentioned above. Thanks for reading!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 7/17/12” »
beyond beyaan, distant worlds, endless space, horizon, legends of pegasus, predestination, ScrumbleShip, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, Star Command, Star Wars: X-Wing, starflight, starmade, strike suit zero, torchships
You Can Pre-Order This Today!
Huh, I just mentioned this game on the Snippets just a couple of hours ago. Funny that. Anyway, you can now pre-order Legends of Pegasus on Steam for 15% off the regular price, or $33.99. The game sure does look pretty, and I know I can’t wait to play it, so if you can swing it, check it out. :) Enjoy!
Those aren’t Fireworks, they’re News Stories!
Hey y’all, how are ya? It’s another week, which means another round of snippety news for y’all (I will try to do these weekly, I swear). A bunch of good stuff happened, so let’s get to it, shall we?
- Continuing the Endless Space lovefest, we have reviews from Indie Love, PC.MMGN.com and Hooked Gamers and an editorial from RTS Guru. You can also win a Steam code for the game over on Space Sector.
- Since I’ve not the time sadly to post them all on my own, you can head to News10.net to see some new screenshots of Legends of Pegasus.
- The Skyjacker Kickstarter page has been updated with an updated demo and news of the first mod for the game, as well as a fleet video that just looks awesome. There’s also a new article about the game on the PlaySF Blog.
- There’s a new awesome looking fan made trailer for Miner Wars: 2081 that is totally worth watching.
- There’s a new update on the StarDrive Kickstarter page giving fans and backers an update on the game’s progress, and how they’re looking for an October 15th release.
- Also on Kickstarter, according to the Rubicon page, beta versions have gone out to backers. I got my version a little bit ago, and it was fun to play around with. Stay tuned for more.
- Over on the Oresome IndieDB page, they’ve released their shipyard mode for y’all to toy around with, and you can also get it on the official site. You can learn more about this game in my recent Q&A.
- The Blockade Runner site has some new models on display, including a Nebulon B Frigate.
- The Star Made blog has a new entry on random encounters.
- The Star Conflict website has a new post on the Federation faction.
- If you’re curious about the amazing (and heart breaking) Drox Operative, but have yet to bite the bullet, you can first read this quick start guide from the game’s artist, or check out videos covering single player and multi player from from YouTube user Denaries.
- There are new updates on Steam for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter and Lunar Flight.
- Speaking of Sins, there’s a new review over on Gamespot, and they liked it almost as much as other folks.
- Over on Eight out of Eight PC Game Reviews, they took a look at Gemini Wars, and weren’t to impressed with their findings. I still have to finish my review! Ack!
- The Scientific Gamer has an article entitled In Praise of: Kerbal Space Program, which looks at the popular space program creation program that I still need to try.
- The Beyond Beyaan blog has updates about squadron movement in the game and a new baby outside of the game. Congrats to Brent and his now-larger family! :)
- Space Sector has some new screenshots of Red Shift, a game I only honestly heard about recently. ;)
- The venerable Wing Commander Combat Information Center has word of fan-made box covers for the classic Wing Commander games being sold on GOG.com.
- Finally, in non-gamey news, the Concept Ships blog has some awesome spaceship art from Mike Kim.
That’s it for now folks. I hope you’ve enjoyed this news roundup, and thanks for reading! Have a great day!
beyond beyaan, blockade runner, drox operative, endless space, gemini wars, Kerbal Space Program, legends of pegasus, Lunar Flight, oresome, red shift, rubicon, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, Star Conflict, star made, stardrive, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter
SO. MUCH. NEWS.
Hey y’all, haven’t done one of these in a while, but a decent amount of newsy news has come down the pike since the last round of Snippets, so let’s buckle up and dive in, shall we?
- Space Sector has their Drox Operative preview up, which is a great read. If you haven’t checked mine out yet, you can read that too. ;)
- There’s a ton of Endless Space chatter going on right now, including a series of After Actions Reports (Parts 1, 2, and 3) from Space Sector as well as articles from Nerd Age and Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- According to GamesIndustry.biz, long-time Star Trek Online designer Dan Griffis is resigning in a few weeks to follow up on a new opportunity.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun also has another excellent article up discussing Skyjacker, which is a great read. They also have a new team-member and a new media campaign, according to this Kickstarter update, as well as some new screenshots on their official site. Don’t forget Skyjacker still has a Kickstarter going.
- The Starlight Inception Kickstarter page has a new update entitled “Inside the Ready Room” which is a fairly detailed status update on how the game is progressing.
- Besides my own look at the game, there are a lot of new Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion reviews out, including at PC Gamer, GameSpy, NeoSeeker, Space Sector and Gaming Trend.
- The PlaySF blog has quite a few new articles, including a Q&A with Michael Shade of Fishlabs regarding Galaxy on Fire’s upcoming PC release, a review of Arvoch Alliance, a Q&A with 1C’s Sergey Gerasev, a Q&A with Keith Newton of I-Novae studios about their game Infinity, and an article entitled Explore And Expand, Or Exploit And Expire? regarding the apparent stagnation of 4X games.
- The Star Made blog on IndieDB has been updated with articles covering a new graphics upgrade, space stations, docking modules and the game’s infinite universe.
- The Blockade Runner site has been updated with models of a TIE Fighter, a carrier and more.
- There’s a new video for Ring Runners detailing their fourth archetype, Arsenals. I’ll also embed this after the cut.
- In Freespace Open news, a new campaign has been released entitled Luyten Civil War which looks pretty sweet.
- There’s a new trailer for Legends of Pegasus which looks pretty dang sweet, and which I’ll also embed after the cut.
- The Beyond Beyaan blog has been updated with entries on a new economy system and another look at squadrons.
- Whereas before it was only available on Steam, you can now purchase SOL: Exodus on Desura as well!
- In non-gamey news, the Concept Ships blog has been on a roll of late, with excellent entries from Carlo Arellano, Maciej Kuciara, Tuomas Korpi, Galan Pang and Fausto De Martini.
- Finally in non-gamey news, EW.com has a gallery of what they feel are the 23 Coolest Onscreen Spaceships ever. I agree with a lot of the list, but Serenity at #17? I cry shenanigans. Clearly that’s the best ship ever. Science says so. ;)
Whew, that’s a lot! *pant pant* ;) I hope y’all enjoyed it and found it useful! Don’t forget if y’all find news that I’ve not covered, you can send it my way with the contact form. Have a great day!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 6-27-12” »
arvoch alliance, beyond beyaan, blockade runner, drox operative, endless space, galaxy on fire, infinity, legends of pegasus, skyjacker, sol exodus, star made, star trek online, starlight inception
You Can Now Pre-Order This Prettiness. :)
Thanks to OrfBC from Broken Forum for clueing me into the fact that the VERY pretty looking spacey strategy game, Legends of Pegasus, is now up for pre-order on Steam, with a release date of July 26th! I can’t wait to get my paws on this one (Note: I do not actually have paws). Enjoy!
Hey y’all, welcome to another snippy installment! Been way too long since I did one of these, so there’s a TON of crap to cover, so let’s just jump right in…
- Vendetta Online just celebrated it’s tenth anniversary, and has a new version out for y’all to play.
- There’s a new Drox Operative blog entry covering weapons usage.
- There’s a demo patch for the Freeworlds: Tides of War Freelancer mod demo. There are also some new screenshots for everyone to gawk at. ;)
- In Beyond Beyaan news, there are new icons, word on an upcoming patch, word of a demo and a preview over at Space Sector.
- Space Sector also has an article entitled Stellar Indie Venture: Deep Space Settlement — a game I had never heard of — an article entitled “Novus Aeterno Wants You! – A Space 4X MMO with No End?” — about an MMO I’d never heard of — as well as an interview with Camel 101 regarding Gemini Wars. Adam is kicking ass over there, folks.
- Speaking of, you can now also pre-order Gemini Wars, as well as see the box art.
- There’s a video from the Cynical Brit entitled KickSmarter – Episode One that gives coverage to Starlight Inception.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has an article on the ambitious space sim Ensign-1, which is a pretty good read. There’s also a word of adding shaders to the game to make it look better.
- Naev has been updated to 0.5.3, which adds a portable mode, active cooling and more.
- There’s now a mission editor for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn. This also includes a “loose remake” of the first two missions in Wing Commander III: The Heart of the Tiger, which is a nice touch.
- Over on The RPG Addict — which you might recall is the site which inspired this one ;) — is taking another look at Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic.
- In FTL news, Gamefront has an article entitled, “Kickstart My Gaming Heart, which talks about the game in detail, and over on the official website, they now have a forum (which was up but is down at the moment).
- The Star Conflict website has been updated with forum signatures, a new trailer (which I’ll embed below) and Day of Cosmonautics screenshots.
- There’s also a sweet new trailer for Legends of Pegasus, which I’ll also embed after the cut.
- The excellent website Flash of Steel has an article entitled, “Science in Strategy Games: Master of Orion series” talks about the research in the first two games of this iconic series.
- According to this Meridian4 press release, Stellar Impact has had something of a re-release. Sadly, the official site is down at the moment, but they had time to release a patch at least. ;)
- Apparently the Sisters of Mercy podcast had the creator of Lunar Flight on as a guest.
- ScrumbleShip has been updated to version 0.14.
- Finally, in non-game news, the Concept Ships has amazing designs from Daryl Mandryk and Igor-Alban Chevalier.
And that’s it. Whew!! Enjoy all the news, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 4/23/12” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, ensign 1, Freeworlds Tides of War, gemini wars, legends of pegasus, Lunar Flight, master of orion, Naev, Novus Aeterno, ScrumbleShip, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, Star Conflict, starlight inception, stellar impact, Vendetta Online, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn