Ring of Boredom…
Hey folks, welcome to the latest episode of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. This week — at Jim’s behest — we spent time looking at one specific game and talking about it’s…let’s say ups and downs. The game Jim chose was Darkstar One from 2006. Jim chose this because I’ve never spoken highly of it, and he wanted to find out why. Join us, won’t you?
Podcast: Play in new window
You can also see the video we recorded below from the SGJ Twitch.tv channel:
We hope you enjoy either the audio or video versions of the podcast (or both, go crazy!). ;) We also invite you to subscribe to us via iTunes or RSS, and look forward to your comments below. Also, we’re opening up the floor to ideas/topics/guest you’d like us to cover, so if there’s something you’d like our podcast to cover, please let us know. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #36: Delving into the Depths of Despai…er…Darkstar One” »
Go! Buy! Save!
Hey kids, there are some deals going on this weekend I wanted to let y’all know about while I have a little time to breathe. ;) These are:
Now, if someone held a gun to my head and told me to buy only one thing here, it’d be Zigfrak, from ShinyLoot, easily. Fantastic deal for the price, and you’d be silly not to snag it if you haven’t already. :) Weird Worlds would likely be next on the list, if the person with the gun let me choose. ;) Have a good one folks, and happy saving!
Remember This Nightmare? ;)
Hey folks, welcome back to the Space Game Junkie podcast! After a short break, Jim brings on one of his oldest friends, Mike, to talk about the joy of old games and the fun involved in getting them to run on newer hardware. We also go all over the place, as per usual. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we look forward to your comments below, and invite you to subscribe to us via RSS or iTunes. Thanks for listening, and enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #26: Old Men Talking Old Games” »
0x10c, Artemis, conquest frontier wars, darkstar one, distant worlds, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, Eterium, freelancer, Hardwar, Independence War, quintet, Ring Runner, Rules of Engagement 2, Space, space pirates and zombies, space rogue, Star Trek: Starfleet Command, star wars: tie fighter, starflight, starlancer, Stars!, tachyon the fringe, Wings of Saint Nezaire, x rebirth, X-Tension, x3 albion prelude
You Magnificent Son of A Bitch…
Welcome to episode #09 of the Space Game junkie Podcast! In this episode, Jim and I bring on Gamers With Jobs CEO Shawn “Certis” Andrich to discuss if space games are just “chasing a dot”, as he called them previous. In a surprise — to me at least, and pleasantly so — the discussion evolves and turns into an intervention where we discuss how space action games have become kinda samey in terms of lack of space, lack of place and so on to help Shawn find some new games. It was a fun, spirited discussion. :)
Podcast: Play in new window
We talked about a looooooot of games, and you can find links to all of them below in the show notes. We hope you enjoy the show, and invite you to comment here or on the forum, as well as use our RSS or iTunes feeds to subscribe to us. Thanks for listening, and have a great day! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #09: Chasing Dots and Games” »
dangerous, darkstar one, diaspora, drox operative, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, freelancer, freespace 2, freespace open, Frontier: Elite II, FTL, galaxy on fire, Homeworld, independence war 2, limit theory, Rules of Engagement, skyjacker, Space Rangers 2, star citizen, star wars: tie fighter, Star Wars: X-Wing, star wars: x-wing alliance, Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Starshatter, strike suit zero, wing commander, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn, x series
The Weekend! YAY! Don’t Drown! ;)
Heeeeeeeeeeey friends, happy Friday! The weekend is finally upon us!! WWOOHOO! What are y’all playing this weekend? I dunno about y’all, but I am TIIIIRED. I need another weekend to lead up to this weekend. ;) Anyway, you’re not here for my charming banter (or maybe you are, in which case, you’re welcome ;), you’re here for the freaking news, so let me drop some on y’all…
Now, in somewhat related-to-space-game news, there’s a new panel entitled “What Does Ancient Earth Tell Us?” over on the Broken Crown Games forum. Then, in an interview with Ironclad (the folks behind the Sins of a Solar Empire games), they apparently feel as if the RTS genre is dying. Is that news, really? The Escapist thinks so, and thanks to ‘em. ;)
Finally, in deals, GOG is having a random weekend sale that includes Darkstar One for $3.99. Finally, there’s a new bundle called the Green Light Bundle that includes Aeon Command (of which I’ll have a review up next week) for any price over $5 apparently.
That’s it folks! Have a wonderful day and weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 2/1/13: Bring On the Weekend!” »
Aeon Command, ai war fleet command, darkstar one, Dominium, drox operative, edge of space, eve online, star citizen, Star Conflict, starmade, strike suit zero
Bring On the News!
Hey everyone, happy Friday! As this will very likely be the last thing I post before Christmas day, I wanted to wish all those who celebrate the holiday a joyous, fun, and present-filled holiday. :) Now let’s jump into some news and deals!
- First up the Emeny Starfighter site has been updated with two awesome videos showing some fun, short bits of the game. I’ll embed these below, but be sure to check ‘em out, especially the one showing things getting blowed up. ;)
- Okay, get this folks. There’s a new update for one of the Distant Worlds expansions, but not Legends, rather, Return of the Shakturi. That’s kinda crazy awesome. Apparently, “v188.8.131.52 update incorporates all the bug fixes and performance improvements from Distant Worlds: Legends,” which is pretty cool if you’ve not purchased Legends yet.
- Star Trek Online Community Manager Brandon “BranFlakes” Felczer was interviewed on the Deck Eight podcast.
- The Limit Theory Kickstarter has been updated with talk on creating a faction and a new tech demo, which I’ll embed below. Definitely looking awesome!
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has posted an excellent review of Drox Operative that anyone on the fence about getting the game needs to read.
- Iteration 14 of Void Destroyer has been released, which includes a new command mode, turret enhancements and more!
- The Vendetta Online folks have released their holiday newsletter, which offers some free time for previous subscribers and so on.
- The Star Conflict folks are now offering gold standards for victories in battles, which can be used as currency in the game it seems.
- Finally, the Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter has been updated with video of a scavenger hunt (embedded below) as well as some other useful links. Whoopiedeedoo.
Now onto deals, of which there are a bunch today. First off, GamersGate’s holiday sale seems to be in full force, and they have the following funness:
WHEW. Now, we’re not done yet, because DotEmu is also having a sale, which includes the following:
NOW we’re done, and I need a nap. ;) Again, have a wonderful and festive holiday folks, and thanks as always for visiting. :)
Get’cher Videos Right This Way, Folks!
dark matter, darkstar one, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, drox operative, elite: dangerous, enemy starfighter, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, galactic dream, gratuitous space battles, independence war 2, Independence War Deluxe Edition, limit theory, master of orion, Master of Orion III, o.r.b., sins of a solar empire: rebellion, Space Empires IV, Space Empires V, Star Conflict, star fury, star trek online, stellar impact, Vendetta Online, Void Destroyer
IT OWNS YOU! ;)
The Steam Holiday Sale is ON LIKE DONKEY KONG, and here are all the spacey games I’ve been able to find (which is similar to the Thanksgiving sale in a lot of ways):
No go buy stuff! ;)
aces of the galaxy, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, darkstar one, eve online, Evochron Mercenary, flotilla, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gratuitous space battles, Gratuitous Tank Battles, Lunar Flight, nexus the jupiter incident, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, sol exodus, Space Empires V, space pirates and zombies, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, starpoint gemini, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II, x superbox
The News is Back!
Hey folks, happy Tuesday! SO SORRY I didn’t post yesterday, but I was sick as a dog. Apparently I have a bronchial infection, woohoo! It subsided for a week or so but came back full force this past weekend, so badly that I went to the doctor yesterday. Now I have drugs!! Woohoo! So let me bring you up to speed on all the spacey gamey newsiness in my drug-enduced sleepy haze, and enjoy!
- First, there are a bunch of news bits about Elite: Dangerous. First, Frontier Developents laid off fourteen people as a result of “changing mix of skills requirements for our current and future projects”. I’m sure I speak for us all when I say we wish them the best of luck during this tough time. Despite this, the number of updates over on Kickstarter has really kicked it up a notch. These updates include part 3 of the Chris Roberts/David Braben Interview (embedded after the cut), an updated FAQ, a new render of an Anaconda plus news that anyone pledging over ninety pounds will get all content updates forever, and a video with David Braben talking about the game’s development plan (also embedded below). WHEW.
- The Kickstarter for Skyjacker has its first update about why it exists, as well as a new update looking at transformations, which is really nifty!
- Adam Solo over on Space Sector has an interview with the CEO of Iceberg Interactive about all sorts of fun stuff!
- There’s a new spacey game coming called Barrage which is a 4X thingy that we don’t know much about yet, but sounds nifty! The dev let me know about it via Twitter.
- The Predestination Kickstater has a new update looking at their first stretch goal, accepting Paypal donations and more.
- The Dominion Kickstarter page has a new update in which they blow crap up!
- There’s a new reviews of Drox Operative over at Gamer Living, ElcomeSoft, GamerCast and a video review by Strafing Forward as well! Yay! (Yes, I know I have mine to do. :P) You can now also buy the game from the Mac Game Store.
- There’s a video preview of Retrobooster over at GamersDissent. Looks like a good time.
- The Star Citizen site has an update about their partnership with Behavior Interactive, an update on their forums and plenty more.
- There are two new meaty Limit Theory updates on their Kickstarter, including a space station tech demo and new stretch goals, among other things!
- There’s a new dev blog talking about Polaris, the third free content update for Endless Space.
- There are some new screenshots of Strike Suit Zero on their Facebook page.
- According to their blog, Ensign-1 now supports Xbox 360 controllers.
- There’s a new blog update on the Rodina website talking about revamped planet generators.
- A new update for Star Made brings a shield system, a revised chat system and more!
- Star Conflict now has friends lists as part of their most recent update, according to their blog.
- Finally, RTS Guru has an article entitled “Do Strategy Gamers care about Visual effects?” that mentions FTL a bit.
SHEEESH! But wait folks, we’re not done! We also have DEALS, starting with a bunch from GamersGate today, which are as follows:
Next up, the Groupees folks have a Build a Greenlight Bundle that includes Salvation Prophecy.
Finally in deals, DotEmu has a bunch, including:
FINALLY, we have some great concept spaceship from MANCHU and Steve Shi from the Concept Ships blog.
WHEEEEW! Thanks for your patience folks, REALLY appreciate it. Once I get better and the holidays are over I should be able to resume something of a normal schedule and get more actual content out. :) Have a great day y’all!
This Way for All The Videos!
barrage, darkstar one, Dominium, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, ensign 1, FTL, gratuitous space battles, limit theory, miner wars 2081, o.r.b., predestination, retrobooster, rodina, Salvation Prophecy, skyjacker, Space Empires IV, space empires: starfury, star citizen, Star Conflict, star made, strike suit zero
OMG! A SALE!
Hey y’all, GOG’s 2012 DRM-Free Holiday Sale has begun, and they have 50% off nearly every dang thing, plus they’ll be having daily deals with 75% off a particular game each day as well! For spacey gamers, this means the following:
There are a ton of classics on there, so if you don’t already own ‘em, snag ‘em now! Happy shopping! :)
darkstar one, Descent 1, descent 2, descent 3, Descent: Freespace, fragile allegiance, freespace 2, FTL, haegemonia, Independence War, independence war 2, master of orion, Master of Orion II, Master of Orion III, nexus the jupiter incident, star control, star control 2, star control 3, star wolves, starflight, starflight 2, Wing Commander 1, wing commander 2, Wing Commander 3 Heart of the Tiger, Wing Commander 4 The Price of Freedom, Wing Commander: Privateer
OMG THE SALES! RUN! SAVE YOURSELVES!
Happy Black Friday y’all! I hope y’all had a lovely Thanksgiving here in the US, and I hope y’all are jumping on all the sales today. In trying to help y’all out, I’m putting this post all the non-Steam sales on spacey games I can find. Here we go:
Warning: LONG List Ahead!
Armada 2526, arvoch alliance, arvoch conflict, dark horizon, darkstar one, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, endless space, evochron legends, Evochron Mercenary, Evochron Renegades, Galactic Civilizations I, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, genesis rising, Haegemonia - Legion of Iron, Haegemonia - The Solon Heritage, master of orion, Master of Orion III, o.r.b., Outforce, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, Smugglers IV, sol exodus, Space Trade, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, Starships Unlimited v3, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II, x3 albion prelude, x3 reunion, X3: Gold Edition, X3: Terran Conflic