Spacey Gamey News and Dealsies – 12/21/12

It's the News!

Bring On the News!

Hey everyone, happy Friday! As this will very likely be the last thing I post before Christmas day, I wanted to wish all those who celebrate the holiday a joyous, fun, and present-filled holiday. :) Now let’s jump into some news and deals!

Now onto deals, of which there are a bunch today. First off, GamersGate’s holiday sale seems to be in full force, and they have the following funness:

WHEW. Now, we’re not done yet, because DotEmu is also having a sale, which includes the following:

NOW we’re done, and I need a nap. ;) Again, have a wonderful and festive holiday folks, and thanks as always for visiting. :)

1. Wild_Bill says:

The “Scavenger Hunt” wasn’t even fluff. I listened to the pod cast and frankly, I could give a rat’s ass about ‘walking around on planets’ add on. What I’d rather see is a totally open, persistent world, using the standard Elite rules but with REAL LIFE PILOTS instead of just AI. The current concept of having to either do a single-player or else invite friends to join me just doesn’t flame my jets for nothing. When I was playing JumpGate I was O.A.S. forever. One of my biggest complaints was trying to find squad mates on-line and interested in doing what I was interested in (and vice versa). Playing with other people, the community, was what made JumpGate so great and so special, but having to coordinate with squad mates was more hassle than it was worth a lot of the time. Same thing for major events. Trying to get everyone on the same ‘wave length’/schedule was such a hassle! Anyway, I pledged my 100 lbs and hopefully it will turn into something I can love.

Brian, isn’t there anything out there JumpGate-like???

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

Sigh, sadly there isn’t until Star Citizen or BorderSpace get released. I have little to no faith in Elite: Dangerous anymore, really. :/

• Wild_Bill says:

Star Citizen? Hmmmm I’ll have to check it out. Don’t know what I’d do without your input Brian. Especially since you know what I’m talking about when it comes to JumpGate. I don’t have the time, knowledge or contacts to do the job that you do and when I consider you share all of your effort and info for free….wow! Just wow! Keep it up.

As to Elite, I’m going to let my pledge stand. If they hit the goal fine. I only lose money if they never actually produce the game. If they don’t meet their goal, I’m not losing anything. I’m not playing anything right now anyway.

• Mekhios says:

Come on over to EVE Online Wild_Bill. We will look after you. ;)

• Wild_Bill says:

I’m actually looking into that now Mekhios. I remember that “EVE” was a swear-word among most of the JumpGate community because a pilot didn’t actually ‘fly’ the ship or ‘aim the guns’. It DOES seem to be a highly convoluted and multi-layered game from what I’m reading. Once I figure out what I’m going to do, and after we get rid of all the post-Christmas family hanging around so I’ll have enough time to play, I’ll give you a holler. I noticed something about a “Buddy Invite List” or something that bumped up the number of free trial days. That sounds good to me and even at $15 per month dues it still looks attractive. It would get me back in space again and involved in an active community (even if a horribly large one).

• Senil says:

I prefer the single player approach, or at least te posibility of playing that way

• Wild_Bill says:

Senil I understand the allure of a ‘single player’ game. Until JumpGate I never played anything else, on line or not, sci-fi or fantasy. Having experienced the positives and negatives of working with a whole community of space pilots, miners, traders, factional combat pilots, bounty hunters and pirates (not to mention squads and all that implies) I just cannot imagine settling for anything less (except as a space-saver, time-killer).

2. Psycho Society says:

No kidding. A minute and a half long teaser doesn’t really cut it for me. I mean come on. A “tease”? The man is asking people to fund his project, they need to be shown something real.

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

Well, they’re saving 14 salaries now, you’d think that would go toward funding this thing. *bitter*

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

Sigh, I canceled my pledge again. There’s a lot about this I don’t like.

• Gee says:

Brian – I’m sensing you’re not a huge fan of Elite… I agree that the early KS campaign was bad; and sad news about the lay-offs (par for the course in the graphics and art side of the industry unfortunately) – but I think the campaign had really improved of late. They’ll probably just make it… Personally, I’m intrigued by what they’re planning to do!

3. Captain Kal says:

A very “Merry Christmass” to all of you, and especially to our host Brian!!!! Let’s hope we will finaly have time to play all those games that we have bought!!!! :)

4. MiniMax says:

All things Space-related aside, merry Christmass to all.
    Lets be thankful that the Mayans messed up good and proper (but nice Trolling btw) and we get to see some awesome Space-Games in 2013.