Newsiness = Happiness. I Think?
Hey y’all, happy Monday, and welcome back to the work week (for those of us with a traditional work week at least). There was a decent bit of news since yesterday’s update, so let’s jump in, shall we?
- This might be the oddest news I’ve posted here. Apparently the bloke running this Kickstarter campaign wants to raise funds to not only kick to the Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter campaign, but to help him write a book set in the world of the same game. And look, I just found this campaign as well asking for the same thing, which wasn’t there when I did a search an hour ago. I am so confused by this…
- In more normal news, if any of this stuff could be called normal, The Limit Theory Kickstarter campaign has as of now been fully funded! Yay! They also have a new gameplay preview video, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- There’s a new video of Blockade Runner in action called Starman that, well, you’ll need to see for yourself. It’s also embedded after the cut.
- According to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, there’s a new random galaxy generator (this link is a direct link to the ZIP file) for the galactic conquest mode in Gratuitous Space Battles! Cool! Totally need to try that!
- The Kickstarter for Predestination has a new update covering colonization, fleet combat and research that’s very informative.
- The Indie Games Weblog has a small snippet on Solar War that’s pretty cool.
- The ModDB page for Freeworlds: Tides of War has a new video showing off the MC90 Star Cruiser, which is darned sexy.
- This is tangentially spacey game related, but GoG is now reporting that over 400 of their games now support Windows 8 natively. I can’t find a list but I’m sure some spacey favorites have to be in there.
- Finally, I discovered a new spacey Kickstarter called Colonia that’s a 4X game with “long-term strategy”. Check it out!
In non-space gamey news, the folks at Gamasutra have a look at the beloved TRS-80, which I played my first-ever spacey games on. Finally, in non-gamey news, there’s a new piece of spacey art by MANCHU over on the Concept Ships blog, and a reader with the great name of Brian turned me onto this website called ShapeWright wherein you can build a ship in a web-based WebGL environment. I can’t try it here at work, sadly, but he recommends it. ;)
That’s it for today folks. Thanks for reading, and have a wondrous day!
Continue reading “Spacey News – 11/26/12” »
Bringing You All the News That’s Fit to Print!
Hello there y’all, and happy Monday! What a day it’s been already, thanks to the Star Citizen news, but besides that, other stuff happened over the weekend as well, so let’s get it out of the way! :)
- Speaking of Star Citizen, there were a TON of updates leading up to the end of their crowdfunding campaign, so let’s just pound ‘em out right now. First off, we have more general end of campaign,final countdown and 24-hours-to-go updates. Here’s also a photo of the team within the last 24 hours from Twitter. Then, a ton of stuff was unlocked, such as the Krell, Stanton, Kallis and Chronos systems, as well as the new Drake Cutlass, the Caterpilar Armored Transport and the ORIGIN M50 Interceptor. There are also two new vids (which I’ll embed below the cut) of early AI combat as well as an early test of a 3D spaceport. Finally, GOG has an interview with Chris Roberts as well. Whew!
- In Strike Suit Zero news, they have word that the release date for the game is January 24th, 2013! Already?! Nice, can’t wait to play it!
- The ModDB page of Freeworlds: Tides of War — You know, that AMAZING Freelancer mod/total conversion that I can’t wait to play — has an update talking about the final phase of the game and how development is in full swing! YAY!
- Now that the Elite: Dangerous has cleaned up its tiers a bit (they make more sense now, thankfully), they’ve added new pledge add-ons to confuse things further. Or something.
- The StarLife blog has been updated with some brief race descriptions. Brief indeed!
- According to my friend over at Matchsticks for My Eyes, he has word that the mobile port of Master of Orion called Starbase Orion will be ported to the PC via a Kickstarter next year. Oh, the irony of it all. I think.
- Both Sword of the Stars II and Vendetta Online got updates over the weekend.
- The Predestination blog has had its first update in forever with new screenshots that are gorram sexy.
- The Beyond Beyaan blog has been updated with news on dealing with resource shortages. I hate when that happens.
- The Three Moves Ahead podcast recently had a podcast talking to Chris Park of Arcen about AI War and stuff.
- In our final news piece, the SkyJacker folks have relaunched their digital store if you wanna still buy the game. They’ve also announced a new Kickstarter campaign which will build funds for an app to go along with their game.
Now, onto the deals. As its Thanksgiving week here in the U.S., the deals are gonna come hot and heavy, especially from Steam, who will have so many I’ll likely not be able to share ‘em all (I suggest the amazing DDDeals and Cheap Ass Gamer to help keep up). GamersGate, however, has hit the ground running with their Thanksgiving sale, and it includes the following spacey goodness.
Aaaand I need a nap now. ;) Have a great day y’all!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals – 11/19/12” »
ai war fleet command, beyond beyaan, elite: dangerous, Freeworlds Tides of War, galactic civilizations, galactic civilizations ii, genesis rising, master of orion, predestination, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, star citizen, star life, starbase orion, strike suit zero, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, Vendetta Online, x3 albion prelude, x3 gold, x3 reunion, x3 terran conflict
Hey y’all, welcome to another snippy installment! Been way too long since I did one of these, so there’s a TON of crap to cover, so let’s just jump right in…
- Vendetta Online just celebrated it’s tenth anniversary, and has a new version out for y’all to play.
- There’s a new Drox Operative blog entry covering weapons usage.
- There’s a demo patch for the Freeworlds: Tides of War Freelancer mod demo. There are also some new screenshots for everyone to gawk at. ;)
- In Beyond Beyaan news, there are new icons, word on an upcoming patch, word of a demo and a preview over at Space Sector.
- Space Sector also has an article entitled Stellar Indie Venture: Deep Space Settlement — a game I had never heard of — an article entitled “Novus Aeterno Wants You! – A Space 4X MMO with No End?” — about an MMO I’d never heard of — as well as an interview with Camel 101 regarding Gemini Wars. Adam is kicking ass over there, folks.
- Speaking of, you can now also pre-order Gemini Wars, as well as see the box art.
- There’s a video from the Cynical Brit entitled KickSmarter – Episode One that gives coverage to Starlight Inception.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has an article on the ambitious space sim Ensign-1, which is a pretty good read. There’s also a word of adding shaders to the game to make it look better.
- Naev has been updated to 0.5.3, which adds a portable mode, active cooling and more.
- There’s now a mission editor for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn. This also includes a “loose remake” of the first two missions in Wing Commander III: The Heart of the Tiger, which is a nice touch.
- Over on The RPG Addict — which you might recall is the site which inspired this one ;) — is taking another look at Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic.
- In FTL news, Gamefront has an article entitled, “Kickstart My Gaming Heart, which talks about the game in detail, and over on the official website, they now have a forum (which was up but is down at the moment).
- The Star Conflict website has been updated with forum signatures, a new trailer (which I’ll embed below) and Day of Cosmonautics screenshots.
- There’s also a sweet new trailer for Legends of Pegasus, which I’ll also embed after the cut.
- The excellent website Flash of Steel has an article entitled, “Science in Strategy Games: Master of Orion series” talks about the research in the first two games of this iconic series.
- According to this Meridian4 press release, Stellar Impact has had something of a re-release. Sadly, the official site is down at the moment, but they had time to release a patch at least. ;)
- Apparently the Sisters of Mercy podcast had the creator of Lunar Flight on as a guest.
- ScrumbleShip has been updated to version 0.14.
- Finally, in non-game news, the Concept Ships has amazing designs from Daryl Mandryk and Igor-Alban Chevalier.
And that’s it. Whew!! Enjoy all the news, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 4/23/12” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, ensign 1, Freeworlds Tides of War, gemini wars, legends of pegasus, Lunar Flight, master of orion, Naev, Novus Aeterno, ScrumbleShip, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, Star Conflict, starlight inception, stellar impact, Vendetta Online, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn
Buried Under the Weight of All That News...
Hey y’all, it’s been ages since I did one of these, so there’s a veritable ton to go through, so let’s just get right to it:
- There are some new preliminary screen shots of Notch’s 0x10c over at VG247 that look very Minecraftian.
- There’s a new dev update video of the-possible–fan-based-follow-up-to-Jumpgate-that-I-just-found-out-about called Borderspace, which looks very cool. I’ll also embed the video after the cut.
- There’s an art update for the Kickstarted fleet combat game Vigrior : Maneuver Warfare that looks pretty slick.
- The popular indie title Lunar Flight is now available on Steam for those folks waiting to get it through that platform.
- Over on the Blockade Runner website, they’ve released version 0.54.0 to their paying supporters.
- There’s an April update for backers of StarDrive that discusses how funds were used in awesome new ways, so it’s worth reading if you’re a backer.
- Also over on Kickstarter, the folks behind a Starlight Inception have released two updates, the first thanking fans for their support, and the second regards apologizing for launch DLC, which now isn’t happening.
- The Star Conflict site has been updated with new screenshots as well as new info on one of the systems in the game, Pandora.
- According to the Beyond Beyaan blog, there’s a new version that fixes installation problems and more.
- A demo of the upcoming Freelancer mod that many of us have been waiting a long time for, Freeworlds: Tides of War, has been released! Hopefully that means the full mod will be released soon!
- Speaking of mods, thanks to “doctorfrog” for letting me know that a new beta version of the Unstable Space add-on for the Torn Stars mod for Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos has been released. *catches breath* I need to try this one out soon.
- The Naev development blarg has been updated with a story covering the end of the 0.5 release cycle, talking about how, after 0.5.3 , they’ll be jumping to version 0.6. They also have a post on afterburners.
- Our buddy DarkOne has a review of Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn over on SpaceSimCentral.
- Both Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, Kerbal Space Program and Space Pirates and Zombies got updates recently.
- The folks at RTS Guru have a teaser trailer for Stellar Impact, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- The Miner Wars 2081 website has updated information on their release date, which is “Q3-Q4 2012″.
- Finally, over on Space Sector, Adam has started a new article series entitled “Stellar Indie Venture”, and the first article is on presentation.
And that should do it for now! Thanks for reading, and if you have news to share, don’t hesitate to contact me. Have a great day!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 4/12/12” »
0x10c, beyond beyaan, blockade runner, Borderspace, freelancer, Freeworlds Tides of War, independence war 2, Jumpgate, Kerbal Space Program, Lunar Flight, miner wars 2081, Naev, space pirates and zombies, Star Conflict, stardrive, starlight inception, stellar impact, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, Torn Stars, Unstable Space, Vigrior : Maneuver Warfare, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn
Damn, This Looks Impressive...Most Impressive...
I’ve not spoken much about specific mods here on my blog, but this is one mod I can’t help but mention. Freeworlds: Tides of War is an extensive mod/total conversion for Freelancer, and has been in the works for quite some time. Fans of Freelancer and its mod scene — such as myself — have been waiting for its release with baited breath. Well, word came late last night that a demo version had been released, which I first noticed on ModDB. I know I’m gonna be trying this out dang soon, but I wanted to let y’all know too. Enjoy!!
It's a Super Nova of News!!
Hey y’all, happy Friday! I thought I’d finish the week out with the latest spate of Spacey Snippets, so I hope y’all enjoy ‘em! Also, lots of videos came out this week, so they’ll be embedded after the cut.
- There’s a new Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion trailer, which you can view after the cut below. The developers are also teasing a new game, according to VG237.
- There a new EVE Online video entitled “Awakening”, which you can also see after the cut below. They also have a new spaceship viewer on their site
- Space Sector has an interview with Novacore Studios regardings Legends of Pegasus, and there’s also a new trailer, which you can see below. They also have a review of Blue Libra.
- There are some more blog posts regarding Beyond Beyaan regarding technology scripts, particles and combat plans.
- The Drox Operative website has been updated with pics of two new monsters, the Storm and the Swarm. They look creeepy!
- There’s a bit of news on Naev, including a new blog posts on activated outfits, and also you can now get the game on Desura.
- In Miner Wars 2081 news, they’ve now added a top list of contributors, a new build for paid beta testers and some new pics, which you can see on their website. They’re also looking for more playtesters.
- According to Space Sim Central, there’s a new trailer for the upcoming game Salvation Prophecy, which you can see below. They also have put up a Solstice review.
- In Evochron Mercenary news, there’s a new version of the game on the game’s website, and Giant Bomb has done a quick look of the game which is pretty amusing.
- The folks behind the Freelancer mod Freeworlds: Tides of War have released a new video looking at basic shadows, which looks awesome. Check it out below.
- The fantastic Starpoint Gemini is now available on Steam.
- In SOL: Exodus news, SpaceSector is reporting that there’s now a demo out, as well as an upcoming update which includes in-mission checkpoints, a cockpit view, collision damage and more.
- Over on Doctor Frog’s Horrible Things, he’s written a blog entry about the recently-made-open-source space sim Starshatter: The Gathering Storm
- Besides my own preview, DIY Gamer also has a preview of Starfarer for ya.
- Finally, in non-gamey news, a lot of concept spaceships were put up this week at the Concept Ships blog, including fantastic entries by Mike Kim, Dima Goryainov, Fabián J. Cuevas and finally, an amazing Enterprise concept by Shawn Weixelman.
That’s it for now! Have a great weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 2/17/12” »
beyond beyaan, blue libra, drox operative, Evochron Mercenary, freelancer, Freeworlds Tides of War, legends of pegasus, miner wars 2081, Naev, Salvation Prophecy, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, sol exodus, Solstice, starpoint gemini, Starshatter The Gathering Storm