Spacey Game News and Dealsies 7/5/13: Bring-On-The-Weekend Edition

I Need to Use This Graphic More.

I Need to Use This Graphic More.

Helllooooo my friends, and happy Friday! I hope all my fellow Americans had a fun and relaxing Fourth of July holiday yesterday, and for everyone else…er…I hope your Thursday was lovely. ;) There’s a good hunk of newsies and dealsies to go through (and yes, I really talk like that), so let’s get to it!

Wow, that’s a lot for an otherwise slow week. We’re not done yet though, we have deals! Gamefly is having an “Indie-Pendence” sale (ugh, that’s HORRIBLE), but it has some spacey deals, such as:

That’s it folks, have a fantastic weekend!!

flattr this!

This entry was posted in Deals, News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Spacey Game News and Dealsies 7/5/13: Bring-On-The-Weekend Edition

1. Ben says:

Hello Mr. Rubin! Quick question, if I may!

In the genre of space sim/exploration/trade/whatever, what is your opinion on the best currently available? I know there's lots of new ones in development, but if I wanted to SIM SPACE right now, right this second, what is your advice?

Thanks for taking my call, I'll hang up and listen off the air.

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

Hahahaha, I was asked recently to put together a sticky "Recommended List" of games for questions just like this. ;) I should work on that this weekend.

As for your question...I asked myself "If I just wanted to jump into a ship, fly off and do some trading, some combat and some exploring, which game would I play?"

The first answer that came back was, crazily enough, Freelancer. The vanilla game is just a joy to fly around in, add a good mod and make it even better.

If I wanted something with a bit more...detail/fidelity than Freelancer, I'd go with Evochron Mercenary. I hope this helps!

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

What the heck happened to your site, by the way?

• Ben says:

I destroyed it, because between you and Solo, you pretty much already had it covered. That pissed me off because Solo would cover NON-SPACE 4x games, even though the name of the site was Space Sector. At least you stick to space games. That is why I would root for you in a fight if you ever had to fight Solo.

Is there a chance we can set that up?

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

Aaww man, there's always room for another voice in this, I feel, if it's unique enough, and I dug your site. Sigh, ah well. :/

Now now, Adam's a good guy who runs a quality website, I'd never fight him. :)

• Ben says:

Thanks. Maybe I'll fire it back up again, once I figure out some new angle. I'd like it to be more than me copy/pasting from you and Solo. :)

It wouldn't be a real fight, just like, a show-match for charity, with them big ridiculous boxing gloves.

2. Mathias says:

Hey Brian! I'm wondering if you missed this short DSS video: http://www.indiedb.com/games/deep-space-settlement/videos/station-tower? You should be able to embed it as well. It doesn't show much, but I think it's interesting to look at nonetheless :)
    I'm just asking, because you've mentioned the screenshots from earlier this week, but didn't mention the more interesting(IMO) video :D
    Have a great weekend!

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

Gah, sorry, missed that somehow. LEt me make sure I have your site in my RSS reader (I thought I did), I randomly check Twitter, which is how I saw your screenshots but apparently missed the video. Sorry!

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

Well GAH, IndieDB apparently has a separate RSS feed for "Media and Videos" than from news posts, which is how I missed it. Silly IndieDB.

• Mathias says:

Yep, just noticed this as well. If you create an account there and track the project, you will be notified though. Sorry for the inconvenience :/

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

"If you create an account there and track the project, you will be notified though. "

3. Mathias says:

I've been wondering the same! Hell, we are still linking to it from our site.

4. Sledge Hammer says:

Any chance you'd add Starbound to your news?
    They recently started to write daily progress news, which are totally awesome and just want me play the game now.

• Brian Rubin Brian Rubin says:

See, I'm not sure if Starbound fits since spaceship control is a requirement of mine. I've pre-ordered it though.

5. Aaron Macke says:

And if you are taking suggestions, Centration is one that just started up a Kickstarter last week. Ii is supposed to be a 'simulation' of surviving aboard a space station. It is pure multiplayer (yeah, yeah, I know) but it is supposed to be cooperative where each player plays a different role aboard the station. One of the things that has me most excited is the 'airflow' system, which will allow for things like dynamic 'explosive decompression', oxygen deprivation, and air poisoning.

6. Grave says:

Speaking of Star Trek do you guys know this?