Helllooooo my friends, and happy Friday! I hope all my fellow Americans had a fun and relaxing Fourth of July holiday yesterday, and for everyone else…er…I hope your Thursday was lovely. ;) There’s a good hunk of newsies and dealsies to go through (and yes, I really talk like that), so let’s get to it!
- Star Trek Online – We’ve been given some new Friday screenshots as well as a new video spotlighting Romulan dreadnaughts. SO PRETTY.
- EVE Online – In news covering the other big spacey MMO game, The Mittani has articles on “how nerds make fireworks” (better known as the Battle of Z9PP-H) as well as two recaps on the odd Battle of Z-99P in which the battle was brought to a halt by a typo? Huh?
- Void of Darkness – We have two videos to gawk at today! First is a video looking at defensive technology, the other looking at exploration. All videos will be embedded below too. :)
- Strike Suit Zero – Over on their official blog, they have word of a new Strike Suit project in the works, as well as survey to get input about it (you can also win a copy of the game and other stuff if you do the survey, so get on it), while their Kickstarter page mentions that their Linix beta is about to be launched.
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like their Kickstarter is gonna make it, but they’ve posted a little recap going over all the positive press they’ve gotten, which will help the project regardless, assuredly.
- Drox Operative – New patch, 1.013 Beta, which adds joystick support (OMG MUST TRY WITH A GAMEPAD) as well as a ton of other little fixes. Yay!
- Dominium – There’s a new blog post looking at the history of time in the game.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new release of the game which adds a new crafting system, station transactions and so on.
- OreSome – Been a while since we had an update on this one, but the dev has a new post talking about how their plans are coming together, which is a good read.
- Predestination – Their June development update has been release with updates on ship combat, exploration and more.
- Horizon – There’s a new gameplay video from the dev team showing off the galaxy map, which will also be embedded below.
- Star Citizen – There’s some new station bar concept art which looks really inviting. Totally reminds me of Privateer. :)
- Worlds Collide – The site now has a forum for y’all to jibber jabber at. ;)
- 90Edges Universe – The dev has written a post detailing the main features of the game such as building, exploring and so on.
- AI War – A new patch out entitled “Hacked To Pieces” which works on hacking and AI improvements.
Wow, that’s a lot for an otherwise slow week. We’re not done yet though, we have deals! Gamefly is having an “Indie-Pendence” sale (ugh, that’s HORRIBLE), but it has some spacey deals, such as:
- Strike Suit Infinity for $3.49
- Strike Suit Zero for $9.99
- Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD for $4.99
That’s it folks, have a fantastic weekend!!
18 thoughts on “Spacey Game News and Dealsies 7/5/13: Bring-On-The-Weekend Edition”
Hello Mr. Rubin! Quick question, if I may!
In the genre of space sim/exploration/trade/whatever, what is your opinion on the best currently available? I know there’s lots of new ones in development, but if I wanted to SIM SPACE right now, right this second, what is your advice?
Thanks for taking my call, I’ll hang up and listen off the air.
Hahahaha, I was asked recently to put together a sticky “Recommended List” of games for questions just like this. ;) I should work on that this weekend.
As for your question…I asked myself “If I just wanted to jump into a ship, fly off and do some trading, some combat and some exploring, which game would I play?”
The first answer that came back was, crazily enough, Freelancer. The vanilla game is just a joy to fly around in, add a good mod and make it even better.
If I wanted something with a bit more…detail/fidelity than Freelancer, I’d go with Evochron Mercenary. I hope this helps!
What the heck happened to your site, by the way?
I destroyed it, because between you and Solo, you pretty much already had it covered. That pissed me off because Solo would cover NON-SPACE 4x games, even though the name of the site was Space Sector. At least you stick to space games. That is why I would root for you in a fight if you ever had to fight Solo.
Is there a chance we can set that up?
Aaww man, there’s always room for another voice in this, I feel, if it’s unique enough, and I dug your site. Sigh, ah well. :/
Now now, Adam’s a good guy who runs a quality website, I’d never fight him. :)
Thanks. Maybe I’ll fire it back up again, once I figure out some new angle. I’d like it to be more than me copy/pasting from you and Solo. :)
It wouldn’t be a real fight, just like, a show-match for charity, with them big ridiculous boxing gloves.
Hey Brian! I’m wondering if you missed this short DSS video: https://www.indiedb.com/games/deep-space-settlement/videos/station-tower? You should be able to embed it as well. It doesn’t show much, but I think it’s interesting to look at nonetheless :)
I’m just asking, because you’ve mentioned the screenshots from earlier this week, but didn’t mention the more interesting(IMO) video :D
Have a great weekend!
Gah, sorry, missed that somehow. LEt me make sure I have your site in my RSS reader (I thought I did), I randomly check Twitter, which is how I saw your screenshots but apparently missed the video. Sorry!
Well GAH, IndieDB apparently has a separate RSS feed for “Media and Videos” than from news posts, which is how I missed it. Silly IndieDB.
Yep, just noticed this as well. If you create an account there and track the project, you will be notified though. Sorry for the inconvenience :/
“If you create an account there and track the project, you will be notified though. ”
I’ve been wondering the same! Hell, we are still linking to it from our site.
Any chance you’d add Starbound to your news?
They recently started to write daily progress news, which are totally awesome and just want me play the game now.
See, I’m not sure if Starbound fits since spaceship control is a requirement of mine. I’ve pre-ordered it though.
And if you are taking suggestions, Centration is one that just started up a Kickstarter last week. Ii is supposed to be a ‘simulation’ of surviving aboard a space station. It is pure multiplayer (yeah, yeah, I know) but it is supposed to be cooperative where each player plays a different role aboard the station. One of the things that has me most excited is the ‘airflow’ system, which will allow for things like dynamic ‘explosive decompression’, oxygen deprivation, and air poisoning.
Wow, this looks nifty.
Speaking of Star Trek do you guys know this?
Wow, I did not, thanks!!