Man, weekends can be exhausting. Since I had some extra free time this weekend, I recorded twice as many videos as I usually have time for, which left my brain with little left for anything else. Thankfully we have a long weekend coming up to mark the official end of Summer, and good riddance I say. I hate heat, so I’m hoping we’ll be getting cooler weather soon. Thankfully, I was able to play some fun and relaxing stuff this weekend beyond the stuff I recorded for y’all, so overall it was good. Plus we plowed through the first season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel in, like, no time. Anyway, enough about me, here’s the good stuff.
Today we start going through Starglider 2, the only slightly less batcrap sequel to last week’s Starglider. In THIS one, you’re supposed to gather the ingredients for a bomb from around the solar system, and wow is it crazy. You need to fight planetary defenses, pilots and apparently, eventually, space whales. Sadly I never see any whales, but I see PLENTY of the other stuff. Like it’s predecessor, Starglider 2 doesn’t care about the player. “GET THIS SHIRT DONE!” it yells at you, barely telling you how. It’s actually really frustrating and not super fun. I might’ve loved this in 1988, I don’t know.
We’re having the folks behind Landinar: Into the Void on the podcast tomorrow morning, so I wanted to get some time with the game beforehand. What I found was a really fun space adventure game with stuff on-foot and in-space! I loved being able to run around stations and your own ship, all the attention to detail and so on. This video mostly has combat, which is fun, but I’m hoping there will be more non-combat missions as well.
- Far Colony has a new dev blog about infrastructure.
- Celestial Command has a dev blog about its updated UI.
- Starcom: Nexus is a new game that should hit early access soon. I hope to play it soon too! Yay!
- Empyrean Frontier got a small patch that added some more voices to the game.
- War Tech Fighters has a patch that makes dismantling easier.
- Stellatum got a major update that adds an arena mode and more.
- New Steam Weeklong Deals, including Cycle 28, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Beat Hazard and more.
- GOG is having a weekly sale that includes games like X-Com: Interceptor and Objects in Space.
What I’ve Been Playing
- Horizon Shift Turbo – Finally got past California!
- VentureVerse: Legend of Ulora – Played a little of this, and it’s fun so far. Movement is a bit weird though.
- Basingstoke – This game is freaking terrifying.
- Shadowcrawl – Really fun in short bursts.
- Warhammer 40,000: Gladius – Relics of War – The AI is beating me IN THE TUTORIAL you guys.
- Warlock 2: the Exiled – All the talk of Gladius reminded me I owned this, so I loaded it up. Had a good time with it too.
- Mario Golf: Advance Tour – I bought a GBA SP over the weekend, along with this game. Didn’t realize how much I missed it.
So yeah, I think I like this format, it lets me make these more quickly and efficiently and still gives you, hopefully, the stuff you want to see. Thanks for reading!