I’ve never been much of a morning person, but I’m not a night person either. I’d say I’m more of a…late morning, mid-afternoon person. That’s never more evident than days like today, wherein Spaz and I got up SUPER EARLY to record a live podcast, due to our guest being in London. I’m not complaining, not in the slightest, but my GOD does it mess with the rest of my day. It’s worth it though, as we had a LOVELY conversation with the developer of Executive Assault 2, which looks to be an AMAZING game upon completion. Heck, it’s pretty darned amazing right now. ;)
As mentioned, we spoke this morning (our time of course) to Robert Hesketh, Owner of Hesketh Studios, about his upcoming space FPS/RTS piece of awesomeness, Executive Assault 2. It was a really fun conversation, and I think we gave him some fun ideas for the game itself, which looks to be AMAZING. Thankfully it’ll be available in early access in a few weeks, so keep your wallets ready.
Today in Star Control: Origins, we get an FTL drive! This means we get to make new friends, as well as enemies, so it’s not all wine and roses. I really like the map system they have implemented here. You have search and auto-pilot functionality, which is a real boon. It makes finding where you need to go next — which is also laid out in the handy log — really efficient. Doesn’t make the GAME itself any easier, but I’ll take what I can get.
Solar Explorer: New Dawn took me completely by surprise. First, it’s an homage to Lunar Lander, which was the first space game I ever played on a computer (on a cassette, no less), so it had that going for it right from the get-go. However, the additions it makes to the formula are SUBLIME. Now, landing is a three-part process which involves approaching orbit, slowing down from orbit, and then a final landing. You also have to stay on course and avoid obstacles as well. It can lead to some HILARIOUS crashes, and the only thing you lose upon crashing is time. It’s really just a shockingly wonderful game, and you ALL need to check it out. Seriously.
- Starcom: Nexus will be doing another round of closed beta sign-ups soon, and you can sign up here.
- Battlestar Galactica Deadlock has a new dev diary talking about updates to their procedural environments.
- Rodina got a new beta update which significantly overhauls interiors of buildings.
- Heat Signature has a new post about another new incoming feature, contractors.
- Celestial Command got a very small patch that fixes a few critical bugs, following this bigger patch which introduced some of them. ;)
AI War 2 got a fairly sizable patch with all sorts of fixes and updates.
- Gaia Beyond got a patch which add quest counters and new music!
- Starflight has another remake in the works that I just found out about — thank you YouTube user Blakes Sanctum — this one is fan-made, and you can check it out here.
- Green Man Gaming is having a Scandimania sale (I kinda love that name) which includes Stellaris and a host of other games.
What I’ve Been Playing
- Executive Assault – I spent a little time with the original game in order to prep a bit for talking about the sequel this morning, and I had a grand time. Though I’m glad he’s making the second one a bit more streamlined.
- Earth Defense Force 4.1 – I loaded the game up today to make sure my save was intact, and it was. THANK GOD FOR CLOUD SAVING Y’ALL. It’s gonna be so fun to return to this game on Thursday.
- Star Wars Galaxies – I’m actually installing the Legends emulator right now, because I’ve been itching to play this one, and it doesn’t take up as much precious HD space as my other MMOs, which I can’t even install right now.
A pretty good day, all things considered! Thanks for reading y’all, and have a great day!