So recently I said I was gonna do a few previews, and even listed them on the site. Welp, I tried to preview a few games and found them…not up to snuff. First, neither Star Supremacy and Planet War had any kind of direct spaceship control, so they were disqualified. Then, I tried Starjack Online, but a broken tutorial — how can I extract minerals on that planet when there AREN’T any, dangit? — and seemingly no community turned me off, so I’m dropping that as well. Now I’ll be moving onto Moon Breakers as well as starting my review, finally, of Distant Worlds – Legends. Stat tuned!!
It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these, so sorry if it’s incomplete from the last one. I kinda took a break during the holiday season. With that, here’s some of the latest spacey gamey news!
- Evochron Mercenary is now available on Steam, and on sale no less.
- Angry British game journalist TotalBiscuit has done one of his “WTF Is…” videos covering upcoming indie space 4X/RPG Starfarer.
- On the Lunar Flight website, there’s a fun graphic comparing the posters of Lunar Flight with Lunar Lander. You can now also buy the game on Desura for half the regular price, which you might wanna jump on after you read their impressions over at Rock, Paper Shotgun.
- Over on Sugarfree Gamer, they have an after action report covering Armada 2526 Supernova, currently in three articles covering turn 1, turns 2&3, and turn 4.
- The developer behind Kickstarter darling StarDrive is about to release the first dev build of the game, available for those who chipped in.
- According to the official Miner Wars 2081 website, you can now pre-order their companion MMO for $19.99, which includes two years of gameplay with no subscription fees. They’re also having a level design competition.
- According to a press release, the folks behind Star Supremacy have a huge patch in the works, which includes colony ships, an optimized alliance system, architectural effects and more. The folks at RTSGuru also have some new screenshots.
- Adam over on Space Sector has an article entitled, “A List of Sci-Fi/Space Games You Can’t Miss In 2012 that’s pretty self-explanatory.
- Kerbal Space Program has gotten a new update to their game’s engine.
- According to their blog, the folks at Soldak Entertainment have added info on two new races in Drox Operative, the Hive and Utopian.
- As always, the fellow behind Beyond Beyaan has been very busy blogging, with articles on the production screen, a discussion of orbiting, a small update on the overall game, articles on colonization and colonization again, and a look at transports.
- Finally, in non gamey news, according to Gizmodo, if you want your home to sound like the Original Series U.S.S. Enterprise, they now have door chimes for that. Also, the TV show Wing Commander Academy is coming to the US in a complete series DVD set, according to TVShowsonDVD, which is awesome because I missed it while it was on.
And that’s it. Have a great day y’all!
Talk about busy! I love the holiday season, but dang if they don’t wreak havoc on the blogging. That being said, lots of stuff has happened! So let’s get to it!
- Kerbal Space Program has been updated to version 0.13 today. I’ve yet to try this one, but I hear it’s awesome.
- Star Wars Galaxies ended today, according to Rock, Paper Shotgun. Never got around to playing that one at all.
- The folks at EVE Online have deployed two patches for their Crucible expansion, 1.01 and 1.02, in the last couple of weeks.
- Space Sector has some new screenshots of Legends of Pegasus which look pretty cool.
- The folks behind Miner Wars: 2081 are launching an affiliate program to help get the game promoted.
- Distant Worlds: Legends has received both a new update and a modding guide, which you can find on the game’s download page.
- A new trailer was released for Stellar Impact, which got coverage both on Rock, Paper Shotgun and Space Sector.
- The folks behind Lunar Flight — a game I plan to try quite soon — has released a beta trailer for version 2.0, which looks great.
- The Starfarer blog has been updated with a picture of ships under consideration, which look pretty awesome.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has a neat article about a free-to-play MMO called Pirate Galaxy, which looks pretty cool.
- The Star Supremacy ship design contest has ended, and you can see the winners in this forum thread.
- The FAQ/a> for Star Conflict has been updated with lots of new information.
- The Beyond Beyaan blog has been updated with several new posts, including posts on equipment selection, the design screen, and equipment selection again.
- Space Sector has a neat article entitled Starships Combat Conundrums – Realism vs. Simplification that’s worth a read.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has an interview with the development team of Pioneer, an Elite clone that’s in development.
- There’s a new version of the Artemis Starship Bridge Simulator out that adds several new features.
- Space Sim Central has an article on Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn showing off some new videos.
Whew! That’s a lot of newsy news! Have a great weekend and a happy, safe holiday season!
HOLY CRAP what a busy couple of weeks. I mean last week was CRAZY, then I had a vacation, which was AWESOME, then this week has been CRAZY. So yeah, a LOT of crap has happened between my last Spacey Snippets, so let’s dive in, shall we?
- The folks behind Star Supremacy have been damned busy, announcing over 7,000 players in their open beta, and a ship design contest that’s currently in the works.
- The folks behind EVE Online have also been busy, finally deploying their latest expansion, Crucible, a couple of days ago. Besides that, they also have posted several dev blogs on the Genolution CA-1 implant, an introduction to Cerberus, the return of engine trails, tweaks to starbases and lots of little tweaks all in Crucible which will hopefully make our lives easier. Crucible has been getting pretty positive feedback, so I’m excited to try it.
- The Star Conflict website has been updated with information on ship systems. You can also find an interview with Product Director Nikolai Seleznev over on MMORPGItalia.
- The developer of Beyond Beyaan has also been cranking out the dev blogs, covering topics like planets and star systems, equipment selection, a new ship design screen, ship borders, a new video of the alpha, the technology and research screen and a new tech screen. Whew!
- The folks behind the upcoming space mining sim Miner Wars 2081 have released a trailer looking at all the new features in the latest build, as well as new game called Miner Wars 2.5D that I’ll totally be checking out once its released.
- According to RTSGuru, Stardock has launched their own store wherein you can pre-order Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. Rock, Paper, Shotgun also has some coverage of the game.
- Space Sector has a new article up entitled, “What Makes A Good Game – Story” that’s a good read.
- Finally, the developer of Starfarer has a new blog entry about crew management.
I should be able to resume normal posting of original content next week. These last couple of weeks have just KILLED me. Thanks for understanding y’all, and for visiting. Have a great week and weekend. :)
Hey folks, just wanted to remind y’all that Star Supremacy goes into an open beta today, so head on over, register an account and give it a shot. I’ll be trying it out and will post some impressions shortly. Enjoy!
With a busy week at work, along with finising up my look at Space I and doing research into the best n00b-friendly space games, I missed a buncha news, so let’s get to it!
- There’s a ton of EVE Online related news, such as a new ship (the Caldari Naga), new nebulae, a rewrite of the starbase system, a new fitting window, a new launcher, a wealth of goodies for explorers (like me, yay!) and finally, some “In Development” videos looking at their art, core gameplay and more. Yeesh, that’s a mouthful…looks like it was a good tiem to resub though. ;)
- Beyond Beyaan’s Brent has posted a bunch of new blog entries covering transports, articles on fleet UI here, here and here, and articles on pollution, reserves and the galaxy screen.
- The Star Supremacy folks are having a ship design contest.
- There’s a new patch for Space Pirates and Zombies.
- Star Trek Online is revising its space skills, and will be going Free to Play on January 17th, 2012 according to Eurogamer.
- Soldak Entertainment has a new Drox Operative blog entry covering ship components, as well as a new Google Plus page.
- The Star Conflict website has a new artwork section as well as an updated storyline.
- Haegemonia Gold Edition is on sale at Good Old Games this weekend as part of a larger weekend sale.
- There’s a new updated version of Evochron Mercenary available for download.
- Finally, as part of their “Gaming Made Me” series, RPS author Craig Pearson discusses his fond memories of Elite II: Frontier.
Whew, I need to catch my breath now! Have a great weekend everyone!
Hey y’all, the good folks behind Star Supremacy sent me some keys to activate some in-game goodies to celebrate the game going into open beta! Comment on this story with a valid email address and I’ll happily email you a code. Click after the cut to see instructions on how to redeem the in-game gifts, and enjoy!
There’s a buncha little spacey news bits that have cropped up lately, so let’s get to it:
- The Star Supremacy folks have a boatload of stuff going on, such as a Halloween event and a massive update as they prepare to go into open beta soon.
- The folks at EVE Online have been plenty busy, with a new power of 2 special offer, a return of the Community Communication Liaisons, and a new Gallente starship, the Talos, which looks pretty sweet. They also just emailed me about returning for five days, so I might give it a whirl.
- Beat Hazard Ultra is now available in the Mac App Store, and is on sale for $1 until November 1st.
- There’s a new space shooter called Huespace from Nonsuch Games that looks lovingly retro, and is only $4.95. You can also download a demo to try out, which I totally plan to do.
That’s it for now. Thanks for reading, and if you have any spacey news to share, feel free to contact me. Have a great day!
Today marks our final article on Star Supremacy, this time talking about the stuff that makes the universe go ’round; money. Enjoy!
Continue reading “It’s All About the Benjamins in Star Supremacy” »
In our continuing series of articles looking at Star Supremacy, we today have an article looking at the items in the game. Enjoy!
Continue reading “Gotta Catch all the Items in Star Supremacy” »