Both of These in Abundance Today…
Helloooo my friends, and welcome to the NEWS. I can’t believe it’s been almost a month since I did one of these, and I am so sorry for the gap. February’s been a CRAZY month, as it always is for me, and I’ve had to let some of the news go bye bye since it’s a bit on the older side at this point. Therefore, this post will cover the last week or so of news and stuff. With that said, let’s dive in! Remember, all videos will be embedded after the cut.
- Jumpgate – Not sure why, but registration has been temporarily disabled, which ssssuuuuucks, and totally gets in the way of me trying to recruit more people into the game. I’ll let’cha all know when it’s back up. ;)
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a new video showing off some awesome looking gameplay, and new screenshots of shield generators in action. Now stop bugging me, Matthias. ;) (Actually, don’t, someone bugging me would actually be awesome)
- Elite: Dangerous – Rock, Paper Shotgun has two articles covering the game, one an impressions piece covering the alpha, the other a chatroom article between some of their writers.
- Wing Commander – The CIC has word of George Oldziey’s Kickstarter campaign and how it’s going, along with some stories he’s shared from his days composing for the third and fourth installments in the series.
- The Last Federation – According to a post on the official forums, the game has been delayed until April, which personally is fine by me. Get it done right, not quickly, I like to say. :)
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – The alpha version of the game is on track to be released…OMG, today!…according to their Kickstarter. Can’t wait to get mine, so stay tuned for a preview! :)
- Interstellaria – The developer shared some pieces from their Design a Ship contest, which I believe is currently ongoing.
- Kerbal Space Program - The devs have launched a logo contest for the various Kerbin manufacturers, around two dozen in all. Have artistic skills? Check it out!
- Galaxial – A new blog entry has a stress test video and some new screenshots as well, and it looks to be coming along nicely.
- Star Citizen – Tons of new stuff lately on this one! From the official site, they announced that they’ve reached $39 million in crowdfunding, with a procedural R&D team being hired as the $41 million stretch goal, which has me damned excited. There’s also a new Ten for the Chairman video, a new episode of The Next Great Starship, a concept art gallery for the Mustang (a new low-level ship in the game) and part four of their ongoing DATELINE: SESEN fiction series. Elsewhere, Eurogamer is reporting that CI has teamed with Warhorse — the developer of the awesome looking Kingdom Come RPG — to help each other make the most of the Crytek engine. Finally, Stick and Rudder looks at the ongoing and confusing backlash effect surrounding the game which, like the author, I don’t understand. WHEW!
- Tactical Space Command – The Mac/iPad “Harpoon in Space” game has gotten a recent update which includes a scenario editor among other things, and the developer has released a video showing it off. We’ll also have the developer on the podcast in the coming weeks, so stay tuned for that.
- Void Destroyer – There’s a new Let’s Play video of the game from YouTube user Dealspwn, which is a fun watch. It also reminds me I need to work on mine. ;)
- Vendetta Online – A new update brings improvemenets to player capital ships, which apparently is a big deal as previously they didn’t work the same way as NPC cap ships did. I could see how that would be damned annoying.
- Paragon – According to a post on IndieDB, alpha 4 of the game is now available for purchase on their website for a whole $5. The update has new ships, 3D cockpits, mouse flight and more. I totally plan to pick this up soon.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new official trailer for the game detailing some of the game’s features.
- EVE Online – A new comic called EVE: True Stories is available in comic shops or through the Dark Horse Digital app. This comic details the real events surrounding the fall of the Band of Brothers alliance. Nifty! Thanks VG247!
- Space Engineers – A new version of the game is out, and a new video details all the changes and updates.
- New Games – Finally, in kinda news, I found a bevy of new games recently through friends or perusing the usual digital distribution sites. In the more serious, core-gamey column, these include Crater Maker (which is also in a currently running Humble Bundle), Out There, Orbit, and Ascent – The Space Game (love that title). In the more casual gaming column, we have Space Smasher and Luna’s Wandering Stars. Check ‘em out!
Finally, in sales, GamersGate is having a massive Red Carpet sale which includes a bevy of space games and so much more I don’t even have the time to list ‘em all here. Then, on Steam, today’s daily deal happens to be everything Strike Suit Zero related, and the weekly deals include the fourth and fifth installements of the Space Empires games.
Whew! That was a ton of work, but y’all are worth it. :) I know I keep saying I’ll do these more frequently, but but I really do hope to do them somewhat regularly. :) Thanks for reading folks, and have a great day! :)
Continue reading “Spacey Game Newsies and Dealsies 2/25/14: The Holy-Crap-Where-Did-February-Go Edition…” »
Ascent - The Space Game, Crater Maker, Deep Space Settlement, elite: dangerous, epic space game, eve online, galaxial, Interstellaria, Jumpgate, Kerbal Space Program, Luna's Wandering Stars, Orbit, Out There, Paragon, PULSAR: Lost Colony, space empires, Space Engineers, Space Smasher, star citizen, strike suit zero, Tactical Space Command, the last federation, Vendetta Online, Void Destroyer, wing commander
It’s the News You Know and Love…
Hellloooo my friends, and happy Monday! It’s time for another news digest, as I’ve gotten to that point where I have enough news to make one, and am gonna make the dang time needed to write one. :) There’s plenty to go over, so let’s dive in, shall we? (Remember, all vids are embedded after the cut)
- Endless Space – According to this Tweet from the Amplitude folks, the free add-on for Disharmony, entitled The Search for Auriga, will be released on November 14th! Insert obligatory “will this add the fun?” joke here. ;) (Sorry, couldn’t resist…)
- Wing Commander – The CIC has a couple of things of note, first a look back at the series by Den of Geek, then a look at the treasures in Chris Roberts’ office. Waaaaaaaant. They also have some shots of a new 3D rendered model of the Bearcat as well as some ships from Privateer 2.
- Star Citizen – Speaking of Chris Roberts, he’s chimed in to announce the game’s recent goal of $26 million in funding, which will now allow players to choose another starting ship. On the other side of the coin, the folks at Stick and Rudder wonder what might happen if the game fails. Back on the official site, there’s a new lore builder talking about racing, more details on the updated Hornet, a wacky new episode of The Wingman’s Hangar and finally, the full announcement for The Next Great Starship contest. Wheeew, that was a mouthful, huh?
- Eterium – There are some new details for the Sagaris medium fighter available.
- Galaxial – We finally have a new dev update, this time looking at some improved ship graphics. When can we play this again? ;)
- Vendetta Online – The most recent patch includes a new variant to the Vulture, custom names for cap ships and more.
- SkyJacker – There are a couple of new updates showing off details and free flight videos (which will be below as well) of the YTG Bomber and YTG Herald for your viewing enjoyment.
- EVE Online – The official site has a community spotlight on Agony Unleashed, a corp offering PVP classes, which is pretty cool of them.
- The Mandate – There’s a new video over at Viddler showing off a panel about the game at the recent MCM Comic Con late last month.
- Predestination – Hot on the heels of the recent combat beta, the planetary beta has now been released into the grubby paws of testers, myself included. Really need to try this…
- Freespace Open – The latest edition of the HLP Newsletter is here, with news of new campaigns, some features for the next release of FSO and more!
- Astrobase Command – There’s a new pictoral training montage on the game’s blog. I’m liking the look of this thing.
- Limit Theory – The latest development video has been posted which looks as sexy as ever.
- Sea of Stars – The folks behind this game have also posted their latest dev video, which looks fantastic.
- Star Wars Squadrons – Apparently this is a successor to TIE Fighter that I only just recently heard of, and it apparently works with the Oculus Rift. Wowie!
In somewhat relevant news, the Escapist has an odd list of the eight best giant video game spaceships. Then, reader Stephen Cameron sent in a video of his own procedural starship creator, similar to the one I posted the other day, which looks damned cool and runs in C I believe.
Finally, in deals, GamersGate is having a Stardock midweek sale with all the usual suspects present.
That’s it for today folks, have a great one!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 11/4/13: Lots of Meat on the Bone Today…” »
Astrobase Command, endless space, endless space disharmony, endless space: the search for auriga, Eterium, eve online, freespace open, galaxial, limit theory, predestination, Privateer 2: The Darkening, Sea of Stars, skyjacker, star citizen, Star Wars Squadrons, star wars: tie fighter, The Mandate, Vendetta Online, wing commander
Hey everyone, happy Friday! It’s the weekend, and I might actually get to play some games for the first time in over a WEEK. I am going through physical withdrawal, so I NEED to get some gaming in, not only to make the shaking stop, but to put more content on the site. It’s been a CRAZY week! We recorded three podcasts this week, and it was totally, TOTALLY worth all the effort. :) With that said, let’s close the week out with some news. :)
That’s it for gamey news, but we’re not done! There are deals today as well. GetGames is having a Strategy Sale, which includes these space games:
Finally, in somewhat related news, over on SolCommand there’s an updated Blackstar ship model for your modeling use.
Oh, wait, you were wondering where the third podcast was, since we only released two this week. Sorry, silly me, I forgot to mention that WE TALKED TO CHRIS ROBERTS YESTERDAY! OMG! That podcast will go up on Monday, so stay tuned, and have an awesome weekend! ;)
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 3/8/13: Prepping for The Weekend” »
beyond beyaan, Dominium, edge of space, endless space, eve online, galaxial, gemini wars, legends of pegasus, rodina, star citizen, stardrive, starpoint gemini
SO MUCH NEWS!!!
Hello everyone, and happy Tuesday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, had a dentist appointment and no time to put into this, sadly. Fun times! This mean I have news from today, yesterday and the weekend to cover, so let’s dive in!
- Endless Space – There’s a new screenshot of a new Automaton hero, Mizn Ora-Yur, from the upcoming Virtual Awakening expansion. I love the look of it.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has some great EVE-based articles such as the sin of sloth in the game, news on a new battle of U930, a look at the sovereignty system, some unrest in the Li3 federation and finally, an interview with the folks behind the EVE documentary called “A Tale of Internet Spaceships“,
- Freespace 2 – Speaking of The Mittani, they take at look at the BEST SPACE COMBAT SIM EVER in their Nostalgia files.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new update entitled, “Information as Currency; the Rise of the InfoAgent” which talks about this career path.
- SlipSpace – There’s a new dev video on their Kickstarter page that I sadly can’t embed, but it looks nifty!
- Rogue System – FlightSim.com has a nice little blurb about the game. Michael also posted some thoughts on Kickstarter and a small article on how hardcore the game is. Finally, there’s a new startup video, which I’ll embed below.
- StarMade – There’s both a quick status update that followed the release of a new test build for folks to try, including me. ;)
- Beyond Beyaan – Spider! (He is our hero) Also, the Kickstarter has less than a day left, so if you wanna kick in, now’s the time. :)
- StarLife – The devs have set up a new forum for y’all to chat about the game.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a small update covering a possible roleplaying code of conduct. They also have Friday screenshots, as well as a new starship spotlight video, which I’ll embed below.
- Miner Wars 2081 – According to a tweet on their Twitter feed, the devs have begun work on modding support, as well as releasing “99% of the game source code”. I wonder what that other 1% would be…
- StarStrategy – More screenshots of things going pew pew!
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Maurice — you know, one of the gentlement I just interviewed about the game — posted an old review of the game from OMNI magazine that’s a real treat to read.
- ZigFrak – The folks at TechZwn (odd name) have a review of the game for y’all to enjoy.
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a cool new screenshot over on yfrog.
- Galaxial – There’s a new dev blog entry covering colony management that looks pretty awesome.
- Drox Operatove – There are some new tweets teasing features in the upcoming expansion.
- Space Nerds in Space – Thanks to Free Gamer for letting us know about this upcoming starship bridge simulator inspired by Artemis.
- Sword of the Stars II – Universal Gaming Reviews has a review and giveaway of the game.
- Strike Suit Zero – Speaking of giveaways, Space Sector is having one for this game.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new post detailing the latest changes to the game.
- Star Command – There’s a new update apologizing for their lack of updates and then giving a small update on their Kickstarter.
- Longshot – The dad at Dad’s Gaming Addiction did an article on the game.
- AI War – Now that their latest game is released, Arcen can now return to patching this one. ;)
- Void of Darkness – This is a new Starflight-inspired game sent into me by reader John, so thanks John!
- Wing Commander – Podcast Partner Jim sent over this awesome video of a hard-rock cover of the game’s theme. This will totally be embedded below the cut.
Next up, sales, and there’s a good chunk of stuff! Steam is having several midweek sales, which includes the following:
Finally, related news! First, since we cover older games here, I though that a new version of the Amiga emulator WinUAE being released was somewhat relevant, thanks to Indie Retro News for the update. Next, I missed this somehow but Artem Bank — the gentleman who composed the amazing music for Star Ruler — has two new bits of music out, “Facebook 5” and “Natural” which sound great. Finally, the Concept Ships blog has fantastic ships from Joseph Cross and a gorgeous orbiter concept from Rasmus Poulsen.
That’s it folks! WHEW! Thanks for visiting, and enjoy!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 2/25-26/13: Catching Up Edition” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, endless space, epic space game, eve online, freespace, galaxial, gemini wars, longshot, miner wars 2081, rogue system, Rules of Engagement 2, slipspace, Space Empires IV, Space Empires V, space nerds in space, star citizen, Star Command, star ruler, star trek online, starlife, starmade, starstrategy, stellar impact, strike suit zero, Sword of the Stars II, void of darkness, wing commander, zigfrak
Lots of News Lately! Whee!
Heeeeeeeey everyone, how are ya? I’m back, kinda (work is NUTS this week), but I think I have enough time today to throw together some news if y’all don’t mind. Lemme just tell ya, after this week? I am sooooooo looking forward to having next week off. ;) Now let’s dive in, shall we?
- Today’s big news is that Iceberg Interactive will be publishing Starpoint Gemini II. Yay! They also sent over some new screenshots, which I’ll post after the cut. I also admit, I forgot I did a Q&A with the SGII folks a while back (it’s been a while, back off! ;), so I thought I’d put that up here too for your reading pleasure.
- The latest expansion to Gratuitous Space Battles, Outcasts, was released late last week according to Cliffski’s blog. I should be diving into it soon my own self, even though I am HORRIBLE at the game. ;)
- There are new reviews of Drox Operative over on Entertainment Depot and IncGamers. I’m really happy about the amount of press the game is getting, it’s certainly deserved. :) Also, according to their Facebook, a new patch will be released soon! YAY!
- The Strike Suit Zero Kickstarter has an update saying that the game will also be released on GOG for those who want a DRM-free copy. VERY cool!
- Gamasutra has an interview with Deavid Braben (I love the title, “That’s So Braben” *giggle*) which talks about what a rollercoaster the crowdfunding was for Elite: Dangerous.
- GOG has a new space game added to their already amazing selection, this time it’s the great O.R.B. Off-World Resource Base, which many sadly wrote off as a Homeworld clone, which it really isn’t. Regardless, it’s totally worth the $5.99.
- There’s a new update on the SkyJacker Kickstarter trying to get more folks to back their awesome-looking project. Head on over and check it out.
- There’s a new teaser video for Rogue System that looks positively droolworthy, and I’ll be embedding it after the cut.
- There’s a new update on the Galaxial blog talking about recent updates to the game such as new interface windows and music.
- Apparently there’s been a substantive update to Fairspace Genesis that adds a TON of stuff like contrails, better pilot AI, improved quest rewards and more. There’s also a new video showing some of these off, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- The Beyond Beyaan blog has a new update looking at sectors, as well as one saying less is more.
- The StarMade site has a list of recent changes to the game, of which there are several.
- According to Massively, season eight of Star Trek Online will be arriving later this year to mark the three-year anniversary of the game. Season nine will be rolled out shortly thereafter.
- There’s a cool new screenshot of Solar War over on its Facebook page.
- The first release candidate of Freespace Open 3.6.16 is available for those brave souls willing to try it. ;)
- Apparently you can now purchase the Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion soundtrack as separate DLC over on Steam, which I totally plan to do soon.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has a lovely little look at Edge of Space.
- Finally in news, Space Sector has a list of sci-fi games you can’t miss in 2013. Don’t worry, I won’t let’cha miss ‘em either. ;)
In deals news, we only have a couple. A new Bundle Stars bundle has been launched with some pretty good games in it…and Stellar Impact. ;) I only mention it because it’s a space game, but the overall bundle is pretty awesome despite its inclusion. ;) They also re-launched their original bundle, which includes the really fun Star Wolves 2.
That’s it folks. Have a lovely day!
Continue reading “Spacey Game Newsies and Dealsies – 1/11-15/13” »
beyond beyaan, drox operative, edge of space, elite: dangerous, fairspace genesis, freespace open, galaxial, gratuitous space battles, rogue system, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, solar war, star trek online, Star Wolves 2, starmade, starpoint gemini ii, stellar impact, strike suit zero
I Will Throw This Brick of News Through All of Your Windows! ;)
Hey y’all, happy Wednesday, and welcome back from Christmas break (if you had one, that is)! How was everyone’s holiday, and what did y’all get? ;) Mine was awesome, and I hope yours was too! Now with that said, let’s see what’s happened over the break…
- Over on Space Sector, Adam has an interview with Brain and Nerd CEO Brendan Drain regarding Predestination as well as a rather scathing review of Sword of the Stars II.
- Speaking of Predestination, their Kickstarter has been updated with a galaxy map prototype video (embedded after the cut) and more details on colonization, which looks cooler and cooler the more I read about it.
- In FTL news, there’s a new update that adds colorblind mode, specific action hotkeys and a lot more. Forbes also put the game at the top of their Most Challenging Games of 2012 list! Congrats, I think? ;)
- Over on the CRPG Addict (which you might recall inspired this site), he takes a look at the two Space games. I’ve not played Space II yet, but Space was surely a pickle.
- Over on the Kickstarter for Skyjacker, they have a new update covering alternative payment methods, content generation and more. The vids will be embedded below.
- There’s a new update for Vendetta Online which mostly consists of bugfixes.
- PC Gamer has an article about their recent experience with Freespace 2 after a new install with the Freespace Open additions. It’s a good read, but I think I’ve read it before…
- The Star Conflict folks are having a holiday-based contest where you can send your holiday greeting to the community. Pretty cool!
- There’s a new BorderSpace dev update video (embedded below also) which shows off a new H.U.D., new targeting modes and more! It’s SEXY!
- There’s a new mod for X3: Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude called X-Tended – Terran Conflict 2.0 which looks really damned cool. That one is coming up on my review list, so I’ll have to give it a whirl.
- According to 4xgamer, the Star Lords folks have relesed their second alpha (registration required). Wow, I thought that project was dead in the water, so good on them! :)
- Peter over at Matchsticks for My Eyes has his initial impressions of Drox Operative.
- The Galaxial blog has a new post looking at user interface customization, which is nifty.
- Finally, the Sol Command website has some new models of asteroids for your modeling needs.
In non-spacey game news, the folks behind AI War, Arcen Games, have released the beta for their 2.0 version of A Valley Without Wind. All existing owners of AVWW get 2.0 for free, and you can get ‘em both right now on Steam for just $5.99, which is an amazing deal. I put a decent amount of time into AVWW and found it a ton of fun, so I can’t wait for the sequel.
Finally, in deals, Get Games is having their Cheap as Chips sale and you can get Star Wolves, Star Wolves 2 and Star Wolves 3: Civil War for $2.70 each, the chepest I’ve ever seen ‘em, and totally worth it. :)
That’s it for today folks! I hope y’all have a lovely day, and I thank you for visiting and reading, as always! :)
You Want Videos? Right This Way!
ai war, Borderspace, drox operative, freespace 2, FTL, galaxial, predestination, skyjacker, space i, Star Conflict, star lords, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, Sword of the Stars II, Vendetta Online, x3 albion prelude, x3 terran conflict
Trying to Bring You the Best News Each Day!
Hey y’all, happy Tuesday!! I hope everyone is having a stupendous day today! There’s a good chunka newsiness today, so let’s dive in:
- In Star Citizen news, Chris Roberts has made a small video for the final push of the Kickstarter campaign, which is kinda cute, and will be embedded below. There’s also a new update detailing the Goss system and a small update on Rock, Paper Shotgun about the AI video released yesterday.
- Speaking of videos, we have some more for you today. First is a combat teaser video of Drifter, which looks like a ton of fun.
- We then have a small video previewing the next iteration of Void Destroyer which shows more of its command mode, which looks cool! Yay capital ships!
- The Kickstarter for Strike Suit Zero has been updated with another dev diary video (which I can’t embed, sadly) looking at the game’s soundtrack! Yay soundtracks (I actually LOVE video game music)! :)
- To help encourage entry into the upcoming New Eden Open on EVE Online, one player, Somerset Mahm, will be funding each team with ten billion ISK. That’s a lotta in-game moneys people.
- The blog for Galaxial has been updated with a new entry on ship customization, along with some pretty color variants for a ship they built.
- Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion has received a new 1.1 update, which includes new maps, balance adjustments and loads more. Might be a good time to get back into the game if y’all got distracted with holiday releases. ;)
- Over on their forum, the FTL devs are looking for help with testing a colorblind color-swap test.
- Finally in news, the Blockade Runner folks need your BRDs in order to convert them to BRSs…I think. Something about converting ship files to a new version of the game…
In the deals column, to celebrate a new “season”, Steam is offering a Steam Starter Pack for Star Trek Online at 60% off for $9.99, which includes some new ships and equipment. Looks worth it if you’re into the game.
That’s it for today folks. Have a lovely happy day!!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals – 11/13/12” »
This Picture, Representing “News”, Brought To You by Zeraan. Blame Him. ;)
Hey there everyone, happy Thursday! The weekend is creeping up upon us all, and in the hopes of adding some positivity until we get there, I’ve got some space game news to drop on y’all (yeeeah, makes no sense, leave me alone, I’m reallyyy tired. ;). That said, here’s today’s news!
- There is now a demo for Drox Operative. Wait, why are you still here? You thought I was gonna say more? GO GET IT AND PLAY IT DAMMIT! ;) I’ve talked about it plenty, so now you can see what the fuss is all about.
- Also in happy news, the Kickstater for Star Citizen has passed $1,000,000! This now unlocks the Idris-class corvette — the largest playable ship in the game — and gives some more in-game money to all backers. There’s also an update from Chris Roberts announcing that their combined crowdfunding efforts have reached $3,000,000! Congrats to them!
- Strike Suit Zero also has happy news on their Kickstarter, as they’ve reached the $130,000 stretch goal allowing mod tools to be released! Awesome!
- Over on the Kickstarter for Elite: Dangerous, David Braben has chimed in saying that new material, including a video, will be going up on their Kickstarter page tomorrow. I await with bated breath.
- Over on Space Sector, they have a look at the recently released beta spacey defense game, Solar War.
- The blog for Galaxial has an update on the progress of the game, which include galaxy changes, new jumpgates and more.
- One of the devs for FTL got bored without power, and created a “big bead sprite” of the Kestrel, which you can see on their Twitter.
- Finally in gamey news, the Kickstarter campaign for StarJacked: The Adventure Begins has been launched. Again. Not sure what happened but they’re calling it a “reboot”.
Finally, on the Concept Ships blog, there are some fantastic designs courtesy of Jason Stokes. That’s all for today my friends! Thanks for visiting and reading, and have an awesome day!
Adding to This List...
Hey y’all, just chiming in because — thanks to Space Sector and SpaceSimCentral — I’ve been learning about new space games I’d never heard of before, and wanted to give credit where credit was due. I also wanted to keep y’all in the loop, in case you missed the mention of these on the other sites. These include:
These have also been added to the list. Now, I try to find all the games I can on my own, but since I’m one guy, I’m asking for help as well. ;)
If you’re a developer of a computer-based space game (i.e. not for mobile or consoles, sorry), and your game isn’t on my list, I invite you to contact me so I can help promote your game. I also have a forum thread dedicated solely to new game announcements and news updates for your use. I’m all about spreading the spacey game love here, and while I’d like to think do a fair job on my own of finding new games to cover, I’d do a better one with some help. ;)
Thanks guys, for visiting and reading! :)