Say what you want about all the great space games on the way, the two titans of the genre right now are Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous. Within the last week, both games became playable as last night the Arena Commander module for Star Citizen finally launched after some delay. Before that, Elite: Dangerous had a playable alpha, but then recently entered it’s premium beta phase last week as well. Now that both of these juggernauts can be virtually flown, it’ll be interesting to see what similarities and differences there are between the two. I’ve toyed with the alpha for Elite, which totally blew me away, but I’ve yet to play Arena Commander. Have you guys toyed with either of these? If so, let’s talk about ’em in the comments. These games signal a serious return of space games from the genre’s close-to-death state just a few years ago, so they’re worth discussing I think. :)
Listen to the Latest Podcast!
On the Next Podcast…
- Game of the Week - Star Traders: Frontiers 08/13/2018 – 08/17/2018 This week, we'll tackle the expansive space RPG, Star Traders: Frontiers!
- Podcast #257 - The Blight of the Asset Flip 08/14/2018 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM Tonight we'll discuss how asset flips are helping to ruin Steam (along with Steam's own lack of action toward them).
- LAN Party Thursdays - Borderlands 2 Month 08/16/2018 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM This month, EVERY LAN party will be Borderlands 2, so we can plow through as much of it as possible before Borderlands 3 gets released.
- Game of the Week - Starglider 08/20/2018 – 08/24/2018 By request, I'll dive into the classic space flight sim, the Amiga version of Starglider!
- LAN Party Thursdays - Borderlands 2 Month 08/23/2018 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM This month, EVERY LAN party will be Borderlands 2, so we can plow through as much of it as possible before Borderlands 3 gets released.