Say what you want about all the great space games on the way, the two titans of the genre right now are Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous. Within the last week, both games became playable as last night the Arena Commander module for Star Citizen finally launched after some delay. Before that, Elite: Dangerous had a playable alpha, but then recently entered it’s premium beta phase last week as well. Now that both of these juggernauts can be virtually flown, it’ll be interesting to see what similarities and differences there are between the two. I’ve toyed with the alpha for Elite, which totally blew me away, but I’ve yet to play Arena Commander. Have you guys toyed with either of these? If so, let’s talk about ’em in the comments. These games signal a serious return of space games from the genre’s close-to-death state just a few years ago, so they’re worth discussing I think. :)
Listen to the Latest Podcast!
On the Next Podcast…
- Game of the Week - Station 21 and Deep Sixed 02/19/2018 – 02/23/2018 This week, we'll try to tackle the newly-released space station sim, Station 21, along with the spaceship breakdown simulator, Deep Sixed.
- LAN Party Thursdays - D&D Lords of Waterdeep 02/22/2018 at 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM For board game night this month, we'll be playing D&D Lords of Waterdeep!
- Monthly MMO Meetup - EVE Online 02/25/2018 at 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM This month, we'll be tooling around in EVE Online!
- Game of the Week - Space Tyrant 02/26/2018 – 03/02/2018 This week, we'll engage in some tyrannical space conquest with Space Tyrant!
- Release: Space Tyrant 02/27/2018 Space Tyrant, the fast-playing "5X" game, is slated for release today!