I Want to Go To There. ;)
Heyyyy folks, welcome to this edition of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. In this episode, Jim and I sit down with Brendan Anthony, former Bethesda developer who is currently working on an awesome space game called Rodina. We talk about the game at length, but due to a good deal of wine on my part I think, the conversation goes all over the place as well. It’s a fun ride, and we hope you enjoy it.
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we welcome your comments/critiques below in the comments or on the forum, and invite you to follow us on the RSS or the iTunes thingamajig. Thanks for listening, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #14: Rodina Q&A (and Random Ramblings)” »
beat hazard, freelancer, freespace, FTL, Kerbal Space Program, lunar lander, rodina, star wars: tie fighter, StarFox, wing commander, Wing Commander: Privateer, x3 albion prelude
SO MUCH NEWS!!!
Hello everyone, and happy Tuesday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, had a dentist appointment and no time to put into this, sadly. Fun times! This mean I have news from today, yesterday and the weekend to cover, so let’s dive in!
- Endless Space – There’s a new screenshot of a new Automaton hero, Mizn Ora-Yur, from the upcoming Virtual Awakening expansion. I love the look of it.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has some great EVE-based articles such as the sin of sloth in the game, news on a new battle of U930, a look at the sovereignty system, some unrest in the Li3 federation and finally, an interview with the folks behind the EVE documentary called “A Tale of Internet Spaceships“,
- Freespace 2 – Speaking of The Mittani, they take at look at the BEST SPACE COMBAT SIM EVER in their Nostalgia files.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new update entitled, “Information as Currency; the Rise of the InfoAgent” which talks about this career path.
- SlipSpace – There’s a new dev video on their Kickstarter page that I sadly can’t embed, but it looks nifty!
- Rogue System – FlightSim.com has a nice little blurb about the game. Michael also posted some thoughts on Kickstarter and a small article on how hardcore the game is. Finally, there’s a new startup video, which I’ll embed below.
- StarMade – There’s both a quick status update that followed the release of a new test build for folks to try, including me. ;)
- Beyond Beyaan – Spider! (He is our hero) Also, the Kickstarter has less than a day left, so if you wanna kick in, now’s the time. :)
- StarLife – The devs have set up a new forum for y’all to chat about the game.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a small update covering a possible roleplaying code of conduct. They also have Friday screenshots, as well as a new starship spotlight video, which I’ll embed below.
- Miner Wars 2081 – According to a tweet on their Twitter feed, the devs have begun work on modding support, as well as releasing “99% of the game source code”. I wonder what that other 1% would be…
- StarStrategy – More screenshots of things going pew pew!
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Maurice — you know, one of the gentlement I just interviewed about the game — posted an old review of the game from OMNI magazine that’s a real treat to read.
- ZigFrak – The folks at TechZwn (odd name) have a review of the game for y’all to enjoy.
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a cool new screenshot over on yfrog.
- Galaxial – There’s a new dev blog entry covering colony management that looks pretty awesome.
- Drox Operatove – There are some new tweets teasing features in the upcoming expansion.
- Space Nerds in Space – Thanks to Free Gamer for letting us know about this upcoming starship bridge simulator inspired by Artemis.
- Sword of the Stars II – Universal Gaming Reviews has a review and giveaway of the game.
- Strike Suit Zero – Speaking of giveaways, Space Sector is having one for this game.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new post detailing the latest changes to the game.
- Star Command – There’s a new update apologizing for their lack of updates and then giving a small update on their Kickstarter.
- Longshot – The dad at Dad’s Gaming Addiction did an article on the game.
- AI War – Now that their latest game is released, Arcen can now return to patching this one. ;)
- Void of Darkness – This is a new Starflight-inspired game sent into me by reader John, so thanks John!
- Wing Commander – Podcast Partner Jim sent over this awesome video of a hard-rock cover of the game’s theme. This will totally be embedded below the cut.
Next up, sales, and there’s a good chunk of stuff! Steam is having several midweek sales, which includes the following:
Finally, related news! First, since we cover older games here, I though that a new version of the Amiga emulator WinUAE being released was somewhat relevant, thanks to Indie Retro News for the update. Next, I missed this somehow but Artem Bank — the gentleman who composed the amazing music for Star Ruler — has two new bits of music out, “Facebook 5” and “Natural” which sound great. Finally, the Concept Ships blog has fantastic ships from Joseph Cross and a gorgeous orbiter concept from Rasmus Poulsen.
That’s it folks! WHEW! Thanks for visiting, and enjoy!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 2/25-26/13: Catching Up Edition” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, endless space, epic space game, eve online, freespace, galaxial, gemini wars, longshot, miner wars 2081, rogue system, Rules of Engagement 2, slipspace, Space Empires IV, Space Empires V, space nerds in space, star citizen, Star Command, star ruler, star trek online, starlife, starmade, starstrategy, stellar impact, strike suit zero, Sword of the Stars II, void of darkness, wing commander, zigfrak
Lots of Stuff Today!
Hey party people, how’s your Thursday holding up? Mine is great so far. Have a review in the pipeline now, just started on a preview, and will try to get two more reviews in the pipe before the staycation ends. YEAH! Space games for the MF’ing win! :) With that said, let’s look at some news about said space games!
- Freespace – Here’s a small update to yesterday’s story/dream thing on Volition. Thanks to Scratched on Gamers With Jobs for catching this comment on Reddit leading to this trademark search result that tells us the holder of the Freespace trademark is Stompy Bot Productions. I’ll be honest, I’ve never heard of these folks, but since they have a new Heavy Gear game coming out too (OMGOMG), I contacted ‘em to see what’s the what on the trademark and what they plan to do with it, if anything. I’ll let y’all know what I find out. In other Freespace news, GOG’s version of the game will now run on a Mac! Awesome!
- Homeworld – According to PCGamesN, the folks at media company teamPixel, have launched a new IndieGoGo campaign to acquire the rights to Homeworld. This “Save Homeworld” campaign would involve selling the original game on GOG and Steam, make a new version for tablets, and then start work on Homeworld 3. I’ll keep an eye out on this one. Also, here’s a pitch video (I think that’s what it is) better explaining the project. It’ll be embedded below, of course.
- SkyJacker – With a bit more than a day left, their Kickstarter campaign FINALLY reached its funding goal! YES! Congrats to them!
- Galactose – The dev has announced a new alpha build to try out on our very own forum, as well as a short video of the new build, which I’ll embed below.
- Quintet – This is a new game that I wanna let y’all know about (because the dev was nice enough to email me). ;) This new game is called Quintet, and it’s a multiplayer bridge simulator. Where it differs from Artemis, the other game that currently encompasses this very small space, is that it can be played in a browser, rather than a Windows executionable. This opens up the game to way more people, I think. I’m going to be trying it out soon, but why not give it a try yourselves for free by clicking the link? :)
- Strike Suit Zero – A plethora of reviews has come in recently from places such as Rock, Paper Shotgun, IGN, Digital Spy and Eurogamer. I won’t spoil ‘em for you but…you should read ‘em. Also, the game is now available on GOG.
- Star Citizen – OMG their site FINALLY has an RSS feed! YAY! This will help me find more new for you, such as a small video interviewing Chief Visual Officer Chris Oliva (also embedding below), as well as an ad for an in-game salvage yard called Dumper’s Depot.
- Conquest: Frontier Wars – Even though right now he’s working on Star Sitizen, Erik Petersen gives us his thoughts about Conquest: Frontier Wars, his other baby. ;) You can also read an interview I did with him on the proposed sequel.
- StarDrive/Deep Space Settlement- I missed this yesterday (their stories need better titles ;), but 4xgamer has a beta video of StarDrive for your viewing pleasure, as well as a link to a tiny bonus video of Deep Space Settlement. These will be embedded after the cut.
Finally, on the Concept Ships blog, there’s a lovely little motion graphic of the progress of painting a ship by Tom McDowell that is really neat to look at.
That’s it folks! Have a lovely day and I’ll talk to y’all tomorrow! :)
Continue reading “Space Game News 1/24/12: Old Games Coming Out of The Woodwork…” »
I Love These Guys…
I want to interrupt whatever the heck it is you’re doing to bring you this verrrrrrry interesting news piece. Today, the auction for the holdings of THQ commenced, and Volition seems to be going to Koch Media for around $22.3 million. You know Volition, right? The folks behind the Saints Row and, especially more important, Freespace series? ;) Now, to be honest, before yesterday I’d never heard of Koch Media, so at first I was like, “Who the heck are these guys?”
Theeeeeeeeeen I saw they publish games through a company called Deep Silver, who I’ve known of for years. These guys have a hand in publishing the X series of space games from Egosoft. This got me VEEEEEEEEEEEERY excited. Now, I try not to give to much into rumor or speculation, so I’ll put this one more in the “dream” column. And I have a dream. I have a dream that Deep Silver, seeing how long lasting and successful the X series is will take a shine to Volition’s Freespace IP, which I’m hoping comes over with them in the sale. Then maybe, just MAYBE, we might at long last see a Freespace 3.
Now again, this is just a dream, but I’m gonna hold onto it with all of my might, even if it’s crazy. Freespace 2 had an amazing ending (well, if you got the good one, anyway, the other was just dang depressing). AMAZING. But it wasn’t the end of the whole story, and I feel we deserve to see that entire story. Freespace 3 is a game that (some of us are) begging to be made, and I can just hope and dream that it might become a reality.
Now tell me, am I alone here? Am I just making the insane ramblings of the ultimate fanboy? I’d love to know what y’all think in the comments. :)
Best Space Combat Ever for Mere Peanuts...
Once again, GOG (formerly Good Old Games) are having a huge Interplay sale, and as a result, you can now get the amazing Freespace (and its expansion) and the subblime Freespace 2 for $2.99 apiece. If you have ANY interest in the genre, and have yet to play either of these games…well, what the hell is wrong with you? ;)
Seriously, buy them! You don’t need to have played the first one to enjoy the second, however, so while I suggest you buy them both to support GOG, you can only play the second one if you wish. Also, don’t forget to get the FSO Installer so you can update Freespace 2 to the latest version of Freespace Open, which pretties it up a LOT.
PS. If you need convincing as to why Freespace 2 is so awesome, check out the YouTube video I’ve embedded after the cut.
Continue reading “Freespace and Freespace 2 on Sale This Weekend at GoG” »