Welcome back to X-COM Interceptor my friends! I tell you, this has been a tough week. Why? Because this game has a ton of potential. The strategic/business side of things is fun, and it’s great to watch the campaign unfold before you on the map. Where it stumbles, horribly so, are the interface and the flight controls, both of which are just freaking maddening. Honestly, the more I play this, the more annoyed I get with it. It just could’ve gotten so much right, and it’s in such a unique place in what it offers, that it COULD have been a legend in the genre. I mean very few, if any, space sims have this open and dynamic a campaign, along with managing the businesses of building bases, recruiting pilots and so on, and if it did ANY of these things REALLY well, this might’ve been a hit, but it’s all so…mediocre. It just all tries and just comes short of the mark, and it’s maddening because you could SEE that this could’ve been great, but it’s just so not. It’s just a damned shame that it just makes me both angry and sad at the same time. Oh well, maybe one of the newer sims coming down the pike will fill in the void this sim could’ve filled, but alas, right now this sim is really the only one of its kind, and that’s just pathetic. It’s harder to play a game like this when it’s on the cusp of greatness than it is to play one that’s just flat out horrible, and this one has so many cusps it’s silly, so this was a really tough one to muscle through, but I thank you for watching it. See you next week for Ascendancy!
Listen to the Latest Podcast!
On the Next Podcast…
- Game of the Week - Wing Commander: Armada 06/18/2018 – 06/22/2018 This week we'll play with one of the odd Wing Commander stepchildren, Armada
- Game of the Week - Wing Commander IV 06/25/2018 – 06/29/2018 It's now time to tackle my favorite of the series, Wing Commander IV.
- Night Off - No Podcast This Week 06/26/2018 Friends, I've got good friends coming into town, so we'll be taking the week off from podcasting.
- LAN Party Thursdays - Borderlands 2 06/28/2018 at 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM Join us for our monthly sojourn to Pandora in Borderlands 2!
- Game of the Week - Wing Commander Prophecy 07/02/2018 – 07/06/2018 This week, we'll toy with the final in the much-beloved Wing Commander series, Prophecy.