We Need a Better Logo…
Hey everyone, welcome to episode #02 of the Space Game Junkie Podcast! This week, Jim and I try to become more streamlined and efficient (me especially), yet still discuss some news, some games, and our main topic, the best music from spacey games!
Podcast: Play in new window
All the notes for the show are below, and feel free to comment on the show either here in the comments or on our forum. Thanks for listening, and don’t forget if you want to subscribe, you can use the icons in the sidebar on the left for our RSS feed or iTunes page. Thanks again! Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #02: Give Me a Ship and a Song to Steer Her By…” »
conquest frontier wars, distant worlds, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, eve online, freelancer, freespace 2, FTL, galactic civilizations ii, Homeworld, really big sky, star ruler, star wars: tie fighter, Terminus, veil of darkness, wing commander, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn
More Chit Chat
Hello, and welcome to episode 01 of the SGJ Podcast. Join Jim from the Bad Movie Podcast and me as we try to adapt something of a format in order to have some more focus and structure! ;) We talk about some news, some games we’re playing, and our topic for this week, which games that are still worth playing even though their graphics and UI are on the archaic side. We also look at the opposite side of the coin, games that have held up well over the years.
Podcast: Play in new window
We also have an iTunes page now, as well as our RSS feed! Yay! Thank you for listening, and please find our show notes under the cut. :) Also, since I’m still pretty new to this podcasting thing (it’s old hat to Jim, thankfully), please don’t hesitate to give me constructive criticism on how I can improve my performance either in the comments below or in the forum. :) Hope the length is okay with y’all, but again, new to this stuff, still trying to be efficient. ;) Thanks again! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #01: Graphics vs. UI vs. Gameplay! FIGHT!” »
beyond beyaan, drox operative, elite, endless space, freelancer, Homeworld, homeworld 2, homeworld cataclysm, independence war 2, Kerbal Space Program, privateer gemini gold, rogue system, Rules of Engagement, Rules of Engagement 2, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, space rogue, Star Command, star fleet 1, star fleet 2, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, star wars: tie fighter, star wars: x-wing alliance, starflight, starflight 2, starlander, wing commander, wing commander ii, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, wing commander iv the price of freedom, wing commander prophecy
Your Journey Begins Here
I am, I’ll admit, an unabashed Wing Commander fanboy. I’ve played all the PC games and enjoyed all of them (Privateer 2 doesn’t count), and have logged several hundred hours in the various iterations of the Confed/Kilarthi universe. Now we have a new, fan-based peek into that universe I and many fans love so much. Entitled Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, it’s a game with a long history, almost as long as the series on which it’s based. Please join me now as I take a look at this new entry into the Wing Commander mythos and see how well it fares.
Continue reading “Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn – A Labor of Love” »
Yeah, I Have to Get Creative with News-Related Images. :P
Hey y’all, welcome to Friday! With the weekend almost upon us, it’s time for our final round of news for the week! Let’s take a look at what’s going on, shall we? ;)
- The big news of the day is that the Kickstarter for Strike Suit Zero has past their funding goal of $100,000!! Congrats to them! According to a Tweet from Jamin Smith, a pledge from the lead designer of Assassin’s Creed 3, Steve Masters, pushed them over the line.
- The races page on the Drox Operative website has been updated with info for two more races in the game, the Humans and the Shadow. Also, according to a post on Soldak’s Facebook, the next patch will include bounty hunters that can hunt Operatives! Cool! Edit: The patch is out! Read about the changes here! Yay!
- Even though we talked about the release date for Miner Wars 2081 yesterday, Rock, Paper Shotgun has a nice writeup about it.
- Finally in the news, the Star Citizen Kickstarter has been updated with a small Q&A about the Xi’An, a recently revealed alien race in the game.
Now, in terms of sales, GOG is having a Massive EA Selection sale this weekend, which includes spacey classics such as:
Which are all just dang amazing deals. If you don’t, for some WACKY reason, already own these, this is a great time to snag some of the best space gaming ever. The final deal is over on Steam, where you can get the just-released-over-there Gemini Wars for $15.99.
Finally, in non-gaming news, there are some lovely ship designs over on the Concept Ships blog from Tom McDowell.
And that’s it for today folks. I hope y’all have a lovely weekend and get some fun spacey gaming in. :)
drox operative, gemini wars, miner wars 2081, star citizen, starflight, starflight 2, strike suit zero, wing commander, wing commander ii, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, wing commander iv the price of freedom
Pew Pew on the Cheap!
Hey y’all, GOG is having one of their weekend sales, which this time includes the Ultima and Wing Commander games. Since what we really care about around here is Wing Commander, you can get these on the cheap:
If you’ve not played any of these, now is the perfect chance to snag these iconic games and see what all the fuss is about. :) Enjoy!
PS. The recently released Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn takes place in the same time period as Wing Commander 3, so to fully get everything out of The Darkest Dawn, you should play games 1-3 first. :)
Hey y’all, welcome to another snippy installment! Been way too long since I did one of these, so there’s a TON of crap to cover, so let’s just jump right in…
- Vendetta Online just celebrated it’s tenth anniversary, and has a new version out for y’all to play.
- There’s a new Drox Operative blog entry covering weapons usage.
- There’s a demo patch for the Freeworlds: Tides of War Freelancer mod demo. There are also some new screenshots for everyone to gawk at. ;)
- In Beyond Beyaan news, there are new icons, word on an upcoming patch, word of a demo and a preview over at Space Sector.
- Space Sector also has an article entitled Stellar Indie Venture: Deep Space Settlement — a game I had never heard of — an article entitled “Novus Aeterno Wants You! – A Space 4X MMO with No End?” — about an MMO I’d never heard of — as well as an interview with Camel 101 regarding Gemini Wars. Adam is kicking ass over there, folks.
- Speaking of, you can now also pre-order Gemini Wars, as well as see the box art.
- There’s a video from the Cynical Brit entitled KickSmarter – Episode One that gives coverage to Starlight Inception.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun has an article on the ambitious space sim Ensign-1, which is a pretty good read. There’s also a word of adding shaders to the game to make it look better.
- Naev has been updated to 0.5.3, which adds a portable mode, active cooling and more.
- There’s now a mission editor for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn. This also includes a “loose remake” of the first two missions in Wing Commander III: The Heart of the Tiger, which is a nice touch.
- Over on The RPG Addict — which you might recall is the site which inspired this one ;) — is taking another look at Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic.
- In FTL news, Gamefront has an article entitled, “Kickstart My Gaming Heart, which talks about the game in detail, and over on the official website, they now have a forum (which was up but is down at the moment).
- The Star Conflict website has been updated with forum signatures, a new trailer (which I’ll embed below) and Day of Cosmonautics screenshots.
- There’s also a sweet new trailer for Legends of Pegasus, which I’ll also embed after the cut.
- The excellent website Flash of Steel has an article entitled, “Science in Strategy Games: Master of Orion series” talks about the research in the first two games of this iconic series.
- According to this Meridian4 press release, Stellar Impact has had something of a re-release. Sadly, the official site is down at the moment, but they had time to release a patch at least. ;)
- Apparently the Sisters of Mercy podcast had the creator of Lunar Flight on as a guest.
- ScrumbleShip has been updated to version 0.14.
- Finally, in non-game news, the Concept Ships has amazing designs from Daryl Mandryk and Igor-Alban Chevalier.
And that’s it. Whew!! Enjoy all the news, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 4/23/12” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, ensign 1, Freeworlds Tides of War, gemini wars, legends of pegasus, Lunar Flight, master of orion, Naev, Novus Aeterno, ScrumbleShip, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, Star Conflict, starlight inception, stellar impact, Vendetta Online, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn
50 Years Ago, Spacewar! Was Born!
I recently realized that Spacewar! was first released in 1962, fifty years ago. In looking at the game’s Wikipedia entry, the first operational version of the game was released in February, while the version we’ve come to know and love was released in April. Therefore, I’d say now is good enough a time as any to say happy 50th birthday to space gaming, and to look back at how far we’ve come since the very beginning…
Continue reading “Happy 50th Birthday Space Games: A Look at How Far We’ve Come” »
allegiance, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed, Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space, computer space, elite, freespace 2, Frontier: Elite II, galaxy game, Hard Nova, Hardwar, Homeworld, Imperium Galactica II, Independence War, independence war 2, Jumpgate, Lightspeed, master of orion, MegaTraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy, omnitrend's universe, Privateer 2: The Darkening, Reach for the Stars: The Conquest of the Galaxy, Rendezvous: A Space Shuttle Flight Simulation, Rules of Engagement, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, silpheed, space i, Space Rangers 2, spacewar!, Spaceward Ho!, Star Command, star control, star crusader, Star Trek Klingon Academy, Star Trek: Starfleet Command, star wars: tie fighter, Star Wars: X-Wing, starflight, Trade Wars 2002, wing commander, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger