Remember This Nightmare? ;)
Hey folks, welcome back to the Space Game Junkie podcast! After a short break, Jim brings on one of his oldest friends, Mike, to talk about the joy of old games and the fun involved in getting them to run on newer hardware. We also go all over the place, as per usual. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we look forward to your comments below, and invite you to subscribe to us via RSS or iTunes. Thanks for listening, and enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #26: Old Men Talking Old Games” »
0x10c, Artemis, conquest frontier wars, darkstar one, distant worlds, Emperor of the Fading Suns, endless space, Eterium, freelancer, Hardwar, Independence War, quintet, Ring Runner, Rules of Engagement 2, Space, space pirates and zombies, space rogue, Star Trek: Starfleet Command, star wars: tie fighter, starflight, starlancer, Stars!, tachyon the fringe, Wings of Saint Nezaire, x rebirth, X-Tension, x3 albion prelude
More Chit Chat
Hello, and welcome to episode 01 of the SGJ Podcast. Join Jim from the Bad Movie Podcast and me as we try to adapt something of a format in order to have some more focus and structure! ;) We talk about some news, some games we’re playing, and our topic for this week, which games that are still worth playing even though their graphics and UI are on the archaic side. We also look at the opposite side of the coin, games that have held up well over the years.
Podcast: Play in new window
We also have an iTunes page now, as well as our RSS feed! Yay! Thank you for listening, and please find our show notes under the cut. :) Also, since I’m still pretty new to this podcasting thing (it’s old hat to Jim, thankfully), please don’t hesitate to give me constructive criticism on how I can improve my performance either in the comments below or in the forum. :) Hope the length is okay with y’all, but again, new to this stuff, still trying to be efficient. ;) Thanks again! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #01: Graphics vs. UI vs. Gameplay! FIGHT!” »
beyond beyaan, drox operative, elite, endless space, freelancer, Homeworld, homeworld 2, homeworld cataclysm, independence war 2, Kerbal Space Program, privateer gemini gold, rogue system, Rules of Engagement, Rules of Engagement 2, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, space rogue, Star Command, star fleet 1, star fleet 2, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, star wars: tie fighter, star wars: x-wing alliance, starflight, starflight 2, starlander, wing commander, wing commander ii, wing commander iii: heart of the tiger, wing commander iv the price of freedom, wing commander prophecy
SO MUCH NEWS!!!
Hello everyone, and happy Tuesday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, had a dentist appointment and no time to put into this, sadly. Fun times! This mean I have news from today, yesterday and the weekend to cover, so let’s dive in!
- Endless Space – There’s a new screenshot of a new Automaton hero, Mizn Ora-Yur, from the upcoming Virtual Awakening expansion. I love the look of it.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has some great EVE-based articles such as the sin of sloth in the game, news on a new battle of U930, a look at the sovereignty system, some unrest in the Li3 federation and finally, an interview with the folks behind the EVE documentary called “A Tale of Internet Spaceships“,
- Freespace 2 – Speaking of The Mittani, they take at look at the BEST SPACE COMBAT SIM EVER in their Nostalgia files.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new update entitled, “Information as Currency; the Rise of the InfoAgent” which talks about this career path.
- SlipSpace – There’s a new dev video on their Kickstarter page that I sadly can’t embed, but it looks nifty!
- Rogue System – FlightSim.com has a nice little blurb about the game. Michael also posted some thoughts on Kickstarter and a small article on how hardcore the game is. Finally, there’s a new startup video, which I’ll embed below.
- StarMade – There’s both a quick status update that followed the release of a new test build for folks to try, including me. ;)
- Beyond Beyaan – Spider! (He is our hero) Also, the Kickstarter has less than a day left, so if you wanna kick in, now’s the time. :)
- StarLife – The devs have set up a new forum for y’all to chat about the game.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a small update covering a possible roleplaying code of conduct. They also have Friday screenshots, as well as a new starship spotlight video, which I’ll embed below.
- Miner Wars 2081 – According to a tweet on their Twitter feed, the devs have begun work on modding support, as well as releasing “99% of the game source code”. I wonder what that other 1% would be…
- StarStrategy – More screenshots of things going pew pew!
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Maurice — you know, one of the gentlement I just interviewed about the game — posted an old review of the game from OMNI magazine that’s a real treat to read.
- ZigFrak – The folks at TechZwn (odd name) have a review of the game for y’all to enjoy.
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a cool new screenshot over on yfrog.
- Galaxial – There’s a new dev blog entry covering colony management that looks pretty awesome.
- Drox Operatove – There are some new tweets teasing features in the upcoming expansion.
- Space Nerds in Space – Thanks to Free Gamer for letting us know about this upcoming starship bridge simulator inspired by Artemis.
- Sword of the Stars II – Universal Gaming Reviews has a review and giveaway of the game.
- Strike Suit Zero – Speaking of giveaways, Space Sector is having one for this game.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new post detailing the latest changes to the game.
- Star Command – There’s a new update apologizing for their lack of updates and then giving a small update on their Kickstarter.
- Longshot – The dad at Dad’s Gaming Addiction did an article on the game.
- AI War – Now that their latest game is released, Arcen can now return to patching this one. ;)
- Void of Darkness – This is a new Starflight-inspired game sent into me by reader John, so thanks John!
- Wing Commander – Podcast Partner Jim sent over this awesome video of a hard-rock cover of the game’s theme. This will totally be embedded below the cut.
Next up, sales, and there’s a good chunk of stuff! Steam is having several midweek sales, which includes the following:
Finally, related news! First, since we cover older games here, I though that a new version of the Amiga emulator WinUAE being released was somewhat relevant, thanks to Indie Retro News for the update. Next, I missed this somehow but Artem Bank — the gentleman who composed the amazing music for Star Ruler — has two new bits of music out, “Facebook 5” and “Natural” which sound great. Finally, the Concept Ships blog has fantastic ships from Joseph Cross and a gorgeous orbiter concept from Rasmus Poulsen.
That’s it folks! WHEW! Thanks for visiting, and enjoy!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News and Deals 2/25-26/13: Catching Up Edition” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, endless space, epic space game, eve online, freespace, galaxial, gemini wars, longshot, miner wars 2081, rogue system, Rules of Engagement 2, slipspace, Space Empires IV, Space Empires V, space nerds in space, star citizen, Star Command, star ruler, star trek online, starlife, starmade, starstrategy, stellar impact, strike suit zero, Sword of the Stars II, void of darkness, wing commander, zigfrak
OMG NEW NEWS GRAPHIC! ;)
Hey folks, happy Friday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, was a crazy day and just didn’t have time. There’s two days worth of stuff here, so let’s get right to it!
- Vendetta Online – The Kickstarter — which has only 53 hours left with only 44% funded — has a new update showing off the game on an iPad.
- Beyond Beyaan – Their Kickstarter — which has four days left and is 95% funded — has a new post showing off two races and new stretch goals.
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Thanks to reader Robert for letting me know that OMG THE MANUAL IS FINALLY AVAILABLE ONLINE. Head over to Scribd to check it out.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has two great articles up, one on the U930 massacre, and one on learning the hard way in the game about luck and loss.
- Enemy Starfighter – First new update in a while! This time there’s a post on new AI in the game, which looks awesome.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch called Guarding the Space that optimizes the graphics and controls, as well as new wallpaper for y’all to download.
- Endless Space – Apparently their 4th add-on will be titled Virtual Awakening, and they have a post showing a new hero and new tech. Fun stuff, I hope!
- Escaping Titan – Tyler was interviewed by the folks on Gamezone about the game.
- StarDrive – The folks at IncGamers have written up a lovely preview of the game.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new issue of The Lost Generation on the official site, and their Facebook page has a cool modeling graphic of a Bengal carrier.
- Star Trek Online – Apparently Andorian escort vessels are now available in the game, and they look wonderfully menacing, I think.
- StarLife – There’s some new concept art by Aimee Seaver for y’all to gawk at. :)
- FringeSpace – Thanks to Jim for letting me know about this one. It’s apparently a project to remake Tachyon: The Fringe in the Freespace engine. I love the idea.
- Stars of Call – On our forums, user Mutos let us know about a Naev total conversion that’s based on their original fictional universe. It looks pretty damned cool, and you can try it out for free.
- Ring Runner – There’s a great new video showing off a multiplayer match with bots, which I’ll embed below the cut.
- Bitfighter – This is a new free multiplayer space combat game over on Desura that looks kinda fun.
Now, in deals, there are a LOT to go over, so let’s dive in:
- Gratuitous Space Battles is having a free weekend on Steam, plus the game itself is 75% off, meaning the base game is $3.74 and the “complete” pack is $4.74. The discount isn’t on the latest DLC though.
- Lunar Flight (PC, Mac) is on sale at GetGames for 4.99.
- The Indie Gala Colossus bundle includes a copy of Galactic Civilizations 1: Ultimate Edition along with a buncha other games if you pay around $5 as I write this.
- Amazon is having a HUGE Farewell to February sale, which includes a few space games such as Space Empires 5 for $4.99, O.R.B. for $2.49 and Spacebar (which I’ve never heard of) for $1.24.
- While not technically a space game, Sword of the Stars: The Pit — from the folks who made the Sword of the Stars space games — is finally available and going for $8.99 on GamersGate. Initial impressions are quite mixed on this one.
Finally, in kinda-related news, one of the co-founders of the Unity engine, which a lot of space game devs are using these days, it seems, has left the company to make games on his own. Finally finally, Ziff-Davis closed down 1Up, UGO and GameSpy yesterday, all of which gave decent coverage to space games, so I wish all those folks luck in finding new gigs.
That’s it for today folks! Have an awesome weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Dealsies 2/21-22/13: Random Bucket of Randomness” »
beyond beyaan, bitfighter, endless space, enemy starfighter, escaping titan, eve online, fringespace, galactic civilizations, gratuitous space battles, Lunar Flight, o.r.b., Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, Rules of Engagement 2, Space Empires V, spacebar, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, stardrive, starlife, stars of call, sword of the stars, Vendetta Online
Looks Simple, Right? ;)
Welcome to the final installment of my Let’s Play series covering the amazing Rules of Engagement 2! This time I go out like I should, with a bang…several of them, in fact. I hope you enjoyed this series of Let’s Play videos, and hope you’ll stay tuned for my next one. ;) Enjoy the video, and thanks for visiting! :)
This is My Office. Where I Deal Death.
Hey y’all, we’re back with another entry in our look of Rules of Engagement 2, this time we’re trying to capture another outpost, rescue some prisoners of war and destroy every ship in the area. This time, however…things don’t go according to plan. I hope you enjoy this entry, and don’t mind my both occasional cursing and somewhat often whining. ;) Thanks for watching!
Bringing the Pain.
After some false starts, I was FINALLY able to record another Rules of Engagement 2 video. Yay! I hope y’all don’t mind that the game itself is paused for a little bit while I explain stuff and set up the scenario for y’all. :) As always, please let me know if you have any criticisms or thoughts of improving these things. :) Thanks, and enjoy!!
So y’all might recall that my last bout with Rules of Engagement 2 was something less than a success, so watch as I return to claim vengeance upon my enemies, armed with new tactics and ideas! Also watch me curse a bit and whine like a little girl. ;) Enjoy!!
I Do Not Like the Cone of Shame, but That Dog is ADORABLE.
Hey y’all, how’s your Sunday going? Me? I was planning on being all sorts of productive today. Was gonna do another Rules of Engagement 2 video, play some more Sword of the Stars II since it was apparently given the all-clear and so on, so I’d have some more content for y’all.
This is Where Things Get Dicey…
Aawwww Yeah, This is The Stuff…
Hey y’all, welcome to my first in a series of let’s play videos covering the amazing 1993 tactical starship simulator, Rules of Engagement 2. Again, I’m new at these, so please feel free to shoot any suggestions my way as to making these better. There’s also some mild cursing in there. Why? I don’t want to spoil it for you, but let’s just say it’s evident that, even after doing the tutorial and reading the manual cover to cover, it’s easy to tell that it’s been at least 15 years since I last played this game. ;) Enjoy!