I didn’t play a ton of Sid Meier’s Starships to fully grok just how dull and middling it is, but then again, I didn’t really have to. This PC port of a mobile game makes it pretty clear from the get go that this game isn’t very wide or deep. The tutorial consists of one page with five images. The gameplay, split between a larger meta galaxy map and smaller tactical maps for the battles, feels very beer-and-pretzely, if the beer was Yingling and the pretzels were some generic brand you found in a gas station. After playing a session to get a feel for the game, and then this session recorded for the video, I felt like not only had I seen everything there was to see, but that I didn’t really need to return. On mobile, I could see this being a “one more turn…when I have to go to the bathroom next” game, maybe. But on PC, yeah, I think your time might be better spent elsewhere. That is, unless you’re looking for something very light and almost non-committal, then this could work for you. I hope you enjoy my video, and I thank you for watching.
Listen to the Latest Podcast!
On the Next Podcast…
- Game of the Week - Star Traders: Frontiers 08/13/2018 – 08/17/2018 This week, we'll tackle the expansive space RPG, Star Traders: Frontiers!
- Podcast #257 - The Blight of the Asset Flip 08/14/2018 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM Tonight we'll discuss how asset flips are helping to ruin Steam (along with Steam's own lack of action toward them).
- LAN Party Thursdays - Borderlands 2 Month 08/16/2018 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM This month, EVERY LAN party will be Borderlands 2, so we can plow through as much of it as possible before Borderlands 3 gets released.
- Game of the Week - Starglider 08/20/2018 – 08/24/2018 By request, I'll dive into the classic space flight sim, the Amiga version of Starglider!
- LAN Party Thursdays - Borderlands 2 Month 08/23/2018 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM This month, EVERY LAN party will be Borderlands 2, so we can plow through as much of it as possible before Borderlands 3 gets released.