I didn’t play a ton of Sid Meier’s Starships to fully grok just how dull and middling it is, but then again, I didn’t really have to. This PC port of a mobile game makes it pretty clear from the get go that this game isn’t very wide or deep. The tutorial consists of one page with five images. The gameplay, split between a larger meta galaxy map and smaller tactical maps for the battles, feels very beer-and-pretzely, if the beer was Yingling and the pretzels were some generic brand you found in a gas station. After playing a session to get a feel for the game, and then this session recorded for the video, I felt like not only had I seen everything there was to see, but that I didn’t really need to return. On mobile, I could see this being a “one more turn…when I have to go to the bathroom next” game, maybe. But on PC, yeah, I think your time might be better spent elsewhere. That is, unless you’re looking for something very light and almost non-committal, then this could work for you. I hope you enjoy my video, and I thank you for watching.
Listen to the Latest Podcast!
On the Next Podcast…
- Game of the Week - Station 21 and Deep Sixed 02/19/2018 – 02/23/2018 This week, we'll try to tackle the newly-released space station sim, Station 21, along with the spaceship breakdown simulator, Deep Sixed.
- Podcast #237 - Starmancer 02/20/2018 at 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM This week, we'll be talking to the folks behind the currently Kickstarting space station sim, Starmancer.
- LAN Party Thursdays - D&D Lords of Waterdeep 02/22/2018 at 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM For board game night this month, we'll be playing D&D Lords of Waterdeep!
- Monthly MMO Meetup - EVE Online 02/25/2018 at 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM This month, we'll be tooling around in EVE Online!
- Game of the Week - Space Tyrant 02/26/2018 – 03/02/2018 This week, we'll engage in some tyrannical space conquest with Space Tyrant!