This Week’s Gaming Thoughts
Hey y’all, happy Sunday! I hope y’all had a great week last week. It was a weird one for me. I spent a lot of my time and mental energy not on gaming at all, but on my channel. After joining Pipeline — an exclusive community of streamers helping streamers — I’ve got so many ideas on how to try and improve both myself and my content that I’m a bit overwhelmed. I’ve come up with some good stuff though, so stay tuned for that. ;)
In gaming itself though, a rare thing happened this week: I found a game that I bought at full price, sight-unseen, just based on its blurb. Here’s said blurb:
Bloody Rally Show is dystopian roguelite combat racing game with infinite variety of race tracks, campaigns, missions, leaderboards, daily challenges, track editor, car editor, car tuning, customization, car battles, and multiple game modes, including one where you are a pedestrian.Steam Page Blurb for Bloody Rally Show
Now let’s look at this blurb bit by bit:
- Roguelike? Okay, I love those, but I can’t buy EVERY one…
- Combat racing game? Well, I DO love car games with guns and violence…
- Infinite variety of race tracks, campaigns, missions, leaderboards, daily challenges? ALL of this stuff is procedurally generated?! REALLY? Well then I might have to get this…
- Track editor, car editor, car tuning, customization, car battles, and multiple game modes? So an even bigger variety of content? Well damn, I’m close to pulling the trigger.
- Including one where you are a pedestrian? Okay here take my money.
Now y’all know me, I love space games primarily, but damn if this didn’t hit EVERY DAMNED ITCH I didn’t even know needed scratching. I’ve got nearly four hours in the game, and it is SO FREAKING FUN. It might be my new favorite racing game because it has everything I want in a racing game, such as:
- Pedestrians to kill? Check, they also refill your nitro meter and are ammo for the exploding pedestrian cannon weapon.
- Weapons? Check, and speaking of, they have a wide variety, from machine guns and nail guns to a paper dump called Mad Fax that dumps paper in your enemies’ faces.
- Infinite Variety? Check, it’s got single races, campaigns, missions/quests and editors to create tracks and cars.
- Arcadey Physics? Check, this game’s driving is AMAZING, and it feels pitch-perfect for the type of not-so-realistic-but-still-has-some-physics driving I want.
I think a game comes along like this once a year for me. Maybe less. Last time a game took over my heart and soul like this was Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr, which I think was a couple of years ago when I got it, and I still play it regularly.
What I’ve Been Playing This Past Week
- Bloody Rally Show – Nearly four hours in since getting it late last week and holy hell it’s insane. I love it for reasons already stated, and can’t wait to stream it for y’all on Tuesday.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X – FINALLY began the training missions, one of which seems to have broken because I had to manually end it. Regardless, it shows me what I’ve known for a long time: I need far more patience on the controls than I’ve ever used.
- Kingsway – I had a bit of time to kill the other day and wanted something I could play while also listening to a podcast. This fit the bill PERFECTLY. It’s just so fun with its Win9x interface.
What I’m Planning on Playing This Coming Week
- Bloody Rally Show – Uh, duh.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X – More training, which I’m actually gonna record and release exclusively for patrons. Wanna become a patron? Check it out. ;)
- Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr – Game has some events coming up that I need to do. ;)
Gaming Question of the Week
What Was the Last Game That Hit All The Right Notes For You From Jump?
As related to my rant above, which game hit all the right notes for you right out of the gate?
Top Clip of the Past Week
These five minutes of Far Cry 2 really encapsulate the chaos that can happen in a really good gunfight. I was just approaching an area when a sniper began taking shots at me, but I couldn’t see them. I could see their friends though, and had to deal with them WHILE getting snipped at, and finally found the sniper’s admittedly brilliant location. It was super satisfying to take them out.
That’s it for my ramblings this week. Hope to see y’all on a stream or social media! Have a lovely week!