Drowning Under the Tide of News…
Hellloooooo everyone, and happy Friday! This was a really nutty week for me, hence the lack of news until today! I’ve got a WEEK’S worth of stuff to get through, so let’s DO THIS! ;)
(Sorry if the news pieces appear a bit disjointed, I had to go through between seventy to eighty news pieces out of order ;)
- Distant Worlds: Shadows – The game came out yesterday, and there’s already a new patch to fix some crashing problems that users have found since release. Das24680 also has five new videos of the game showing off more gameplay. Youtube user Pewpewchewchew also has a Let’s Play video of his own. These will all be embedded below.
- SkyJacker – There’s some new photos over on their facebook showing off the disassembly of a Shaarkarians mothership. They also have dissasembly videos of a Shaarkarians mothership, a Rak-Tak-Bashogee battleship and a Rak-Tak-Bashogee cruiser.
- Star Citizen – We have some new wallpapers showing off the planet Tyrol, part 8 of the writer’s guide, a Congress Now news update, a sneak peak at the hanger module and an interview with network and server programmer Tom Sawyer (embedded below as well). They also just announced an upcoming livingstreaming event in late June. Finally, Forbes did a video interview with Chris Roberts, which is also embedded below.
- Retrobooster – The developer recorded a video demo for the folks at IGN, which I can’t embed. The demo is a ton of fun, by the by. ;)
- Kerbal Space Program – Version 2.0 of the game has been released and adds things like chairs and other parts! Yay chairs! ;) There’s also a new merchandise store! I want a mug.
- Elite: Dangerous – There’s a new fiction diary entry over on their Kickstarter, and the video will be embedded below. Thanks to Wild Bill for the tip!
- Drox Operative – In the midst of making an expansion, Steven has released a beta patch for the game. This new patch has a ton of little fixes.
- Star Trek Online – The new Legacy of Romulus expansion went live yesterday! Yay! There’s also a dev blog on Dilithium 101.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has word of a super-cap and dreadnaught battle in Venal and a brawl in Delve, both of which sound expensive. There’s also a video and interview regarding Campigenus, a twenty-four minute fan movie you can see here (and embedded below), and a report of the battle of T-8UOF.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch that adds a practice mode and a new sector, among other things.
- AI War – A new patch entitled, “Tumbleweeds In The Stars“, adds a new minor faction in preparation for the next expansion, Vengeance of the Machine.
- GoD Factory: Wingmen – Thanks to IndieGames.com for making me aware of this multiplayer battle arena space game that just launched a Kickstarter. Looks nifty.
- Starlight Inception – There’s a new Kickstarter update showing off how the game is coming along, as well as a new teaser trailer, which will be embedded below.
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new version of the game that adds awards and medals, jackets, new console commands and more.
- Aeon Command – Part 2 of the dev’s post mortem is now up.
- Lunar Flight – The multiplayer update — which includes a ton of stuff — is now up on Steam. I totally need to revisit this game.
- Strike Suit Zero – The mod dev tool called XedMod is now available, as well as some mods for the game. I can’t embed the video, however. :/ The Heroes of the Fleet DLC is also out now.
- 90Edges Universe – I was contacted by the dev of this project to let me know it exists. :) (I LOVE that, by the way.) It’s very early right now, but it looks like a neat open universey buildy thing. Check it out.
- Limit Theory – There’s a new dev post every day on their forums, if you’ve not checked it out recently.
- Infinite Pixels – There’s a new alpha trailer over on their IndieDB page, which I’ll also be embedded below. There are also posts on planets and co-op gameplay.
- Star Made – There’s been so much new news since my last update, including a new webserver, several new builds and more, that I’ll just direct you to their news page if you don’t mind. ;)
- Dominium – There’s a new video on their Kickstarter showing off some combat that sadly I can’t embed. It looks fun though. :)
- Void Space – I found this Kickstarter about a space mining simulator? Space AND mining? I love both of those things! Sold! (Maybe, if he updates his campaign at all, which he hasn’t yet, and that is a pet peeve of mine. TALK TO US DAMN YOU! ;)
- StarDrive – Some more reviews from CalmDownTom, Pure News and DMJared on YouTube. (Embedded below).
OH MY GOD that was a lot. But wait, we also have DEALS! Besides the two mentioned yesterday, we also have the following:
FINALLY, we’re done. That took FOREVER to put together, but I love y’all, so y’all are worth it. ;) Have a great weekend!
Videos Right This Way!
90Edges Universe, Aeon Command, ai war fleet command, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds: Shadows, Dominium, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, epic space game, eve online, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, gemini wars, GoD Factory: Wingmen, gratuitous space battles, Infinite Pixels, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, Lunar Flight, retrobooster, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, skyjacker, space pirates and zombies, Spaceforce: Rogue Universe, star citizen, Star Conflict, star made, star ruler, star trek online, stardrive, starlight inception, strike suit zero, Void Space, x3 reunion, zigfrak
I Want to Go To There. ;)
Heyyyy folks, welcome to this edition of the Space Game Junkie Podcast. In this episode, Jim and I sit down with Brendan Anthony, former Bethesda developer who is currently working on an awesome space game called Rodina. We talk about the game at length, but due to a good deal of wine on my part I think, the conversation goes all over the place as well. It’s a fun ride, and we hope you enjoy it.
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we welcome your comments/critiques below in the comments or on the forum, and invite you to follow us on the RSS or the iTunes thingamajig. Thanks for listening, and have an awesome day!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #14: Rodina Q&A (and Random Ramblings)” »
beat hazard, freelancer, freespace, FTL, Kerbal Space Program, lunar lander, rodina, star wars: tie fighter, StarFox, wing commander, Wing Commander: Privateer, x3 albion prelude
HUGE Sale! HUGE!
Hey guys and gals, I’m super busy with stuff at the moment, so if I don’t get time to post an actual news post today, I at least wanted y’all to know that GamersGate is having a HUGE sale on space games this weekend, like three pages worth. It looks to be nearly every space game they have on that thing. If you need more space games to add to your library/collection/backlog, go check it out, and enjoy! :)
Whoops! I also forgot to add that, since Distant Worlds: Shadows is out today (YAAAAAY!), Matrix is having a bundle sale where you can get EVERYTHING for $69.96! That’s the original game and all three expansions, including the new one! THAT’S A STEAL PEOPLE! So jump on it if you can, you’ll be happy you did! ?Enjoy!
I Do Love Those Random Galaxies…
Over the past couple of years, I’ve noticed that there are two words — as well as variations of these words — that get me more excited than almost any other. Those are “procedurally generated”, as well as its cousin, “randomly generated”. I mean, I’ve always loved randomness in games because replayability is a big factor in my enjoyment of a game, but lately this one factor has been even more important than ever. I started thinking of this topic because recently a game I had NO interest in called Don’t Starve shot to the top of my interest meter once I read “Randomly Generated New Worlds” in the list of the game’s features. I don’t even LIKE survival games that much, but randomly generated worlds? Sign me the hell up. This made me begin to wonder both why I love procedural generation so much, and how it figures into the realm of space gaming.
Continue reading “Spacing Out: Procedural Generation Gets Me Hot” »
I Went to There! ;)
Hey kids, how are ya? I’m chiming in because I just had a Google+ Hangout session with some friends over on Broken Forum in which they graciously took the time and helped me learn Kerbal Space Program a little better, and it was hilarious. With their help, I made my first orbit and also landed on the Mun! Yay!
It’s on the long side (as these things can get), and I’m still learning about these Hangouts, so for a spell I forgot to click on my little chat window to focus it on the game. I also think I need to learn to use some of the programs my buddy Paul told me about after the last hangout. I apologize for any quality issues, but please bear with me as I’m still learning. :)
Aaaanyway, I hope you enjoy it!
SO MANY NEWSIDEALSNESS!
Hellllllloooo my friends, and happy Friday! The weekend is FINALLY upon us! YES! Sorry about the lack of news for the past couple of days, there was some other stuff I needed to get done first before this, so I hope y’all don’t mind. :) Even though my time has been consumed with Distant Worlds: Shadows, I’ve still managed to fit in some X3: Albion Prelude, so I’ll have something on that early next week. I also hope to tackle some more TIE Fighter this weekend as well. But enough about me, there’s a LOT of newsiness to talk about!!!
- Distant Worlds: Shadows – Speaking of which, that crazy cat Das24680 has three new videos of him playing the game. THREE. I wish I had his dedication/energy. YouTube user quill18 also has a Let’s Try video of him playing the game. These’ll all be embedded below too.
- EVE Online – Several articles today, first from the official site, including a look at the next decade and an article on the Crossing Zebras podcast. Then, The Mittani has an article on introducing kids to the game, as well as reduced clone costs in Odyssey.
- Infinite Pixels – Thanks to Rock, Paper Shotgun for making us aware of this “voxel space exploration game“. Oh look, there’s a trailer as well! :)
- Star Trek Online – We have a two new Legacy of Romulus dev blog entries, one on the Klingon Defence Force, and one on the Numbus adventure zone.
- Gimbal – There’s a new expansion for the game that adds new game modes, new parts, new maps and more. Looks like now’d be a good time to try it, huh? ;) I got a copy last year and it sadly fell through the cracks during my nutty Summer. I should rectify that problem…
- Star Sonata 2 – There’s also a new expansion pack coming for this game next month called “Subspace Assault” that which adds restructured content and other stuff.
- Aeon Command – The devs have posted the first part of the game’s post mortem, which makes for great reading.
- Rogue System – There’s a new dev diary entry over on the game’s forums.
- Predestination – There’s also a new April dev update for this game on the game’s official site (which REALLY needs an RSS feed, dangit). ;)
- Star Citizen – There’s a new video up interviewing customer support guru Brittany Godfrey, who we’ve likely all dealt with at least once. ;) The video will also be embedded below. There’s also an update showing storyboards of the planet Stanton Landing, a new writer’s guide installment, and a fan focus video which I’ll embed below.
- X3: Albion Prelude – There’s a big new 3.0 patch for the game that adds new plots, mission types, controller support and so on. A small hotfix was shortly released afterwards to fix some savegame issues. ;) Looks awesome, I can try my new 360 gamepad with it. ;)
- Strike Suit Zero – There’s a new update looking at their Oculus Rift support, which I sadly can’t embed (silly Kickstarter vids).
- Void of Darkness – They have a new website with more information on the game for y’all to check out. :)
- Lunar Flight – The multiplayer beta is now available on Steam for PC players!
- Epic Space Game – There’s a new version of the game which includes an official Mac client, an improved H.U.D. and more!
Now we have deals!!! First, I suppose to celebrate the release of its major 3.0 patch as noted above, some of the X games are on sale at a few places, such as:
Next in deals, Amazon is having a HUGE Digital Games Mayhem sale, yet it only includes a few space games (of which are of questionable quality, but I mention ‘em regardless), such as:
Finally in deals, we have some randoms, such as Dawnstar (which I still need to play) for $5.00 on Green Man Gaming and Unstoppable Gorg for…whatever you want on IndieGameStand.
Finally in related stuff, the folks at the amazing Three Moves Ahead podcast had a great podcast on 4X games.
That’s it!! WHEW! Have a great weekend everyone.
Continue reading “Spacey News and Deals 5/15-17/13: The Bring On the Weekend Edition” »
Aeon Command, Danwstar, Distant Worlds: Shadows, epic space game, eve online, gimbal, Infinite Pixels, Lunar Flight, master of orion 3, miner wars 2081, predestination, rogue system, space trader, star citizen, star sonata 2, star trek online, star wars: tie fighter, strike suit zero, Unstoppable Gorg, void of darkness, x3 albion prelude, x3 reunion, x3 terran conflict
Welcome to the Age of Shadows!
Back in January, I got a PM on Matrix Games’ forum asking if I wanted into the beta for Distant Worlds: Shadows, the third expansion for what’s become my favorite space 4X games (and one of my favorite games period). I would’ve been excited at the time…had I thought to visit the forums themselves. ;) I totally missed the boat in getting in on the beta MONTHS ago, so yeah, sadface. Thankfully, however, I was brought into the beta until a couple of weeks ago, and crammed several hours of playtime with one of the more recent beta versions. Make no mistake, this expansion adds a TON of stuff to an already bountiful game, and in this preview, I’ll look at the main additions to the game — pirate factions, ground combat enhancements, the Age of Shadows and so on — and discuss how these affect the game on their own, as well as how they affect the traditional empire play that the game is known for. With that said, let’s dive in. :)
Continue reading “Distant Worlds: Shadows – Here There Be Pirates (and Love)” »
A Taste of Things to Come…
Hey guys and gals. I’m chiming in because I just finished a massive Google+ Hangout on Air with some folks from Gamers with Jobs in which they asked me to show them Distant Worlds with the new expansion, Shadows. It kinda goes all over the place, but it shows a good bit of gameplay from the empire’s side of things. You can expect my formal review of Distant Worlds: Shadows likely tomorrow.
Enjoy the video! (Also, this is my second Hangout on Air ever, and I barely had any idea what I was doing, so please be gentle ;)
So Close, Yet So Far…
Hey guys, welcome to my weekly op-ed column that I’m calling “Spacing Out” (the name was a joint effort between my girlfriend and I ;). I realized I’d not been really writing enough op-ed pieces, and came up with the idea of doing them weekly, both as a writing exercise and a way to put thoughts and ideas out there to share and discuss with y’all. :) I’ll be doing these every Wednesday, because if I don’t set a specific day to do ‘em, I never will, you know? ;) Recently, 4X games have been on my mind after the recent release of StarDrive. After I made my decision to put my review of the game on hold, I was taken to task on a forum I frequent for not liking other recent entries in the 4X space race, such as Endless Space and Sword of the Stars II. This got me to thinking, what HAS been going on with spacey 4X games of late?
Continue reading “Spacing Out: The Trouble with 4X Games” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, endless space, galactic civilizations ii, Imperium Galactica II, master of orion, master of orion ii battle at antares, predestination, Sins of a Solar Empire II, stardrive, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter
What Does It MEAN?!
Hey kids, welcome to episode #13 of the Space Game Junkie! This time, Jim and I get up early in the morning to talk to Malcolm Sparrow, the lead developer of space combat and trading game Dominium (formerly known as Dominion) and it’s current Kickstarter campaign. This podcast is a bit shorter than usual because we did it at 6 AM my time, and I had to rush to work afterwards, just so y’all know. ;) As a treat, you’re all hearing me pre-coffee. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, we invite you to comment on the podcast below, invite you to subscribe to us via RSS or iTunes, and thank you for listening. Enjoy! :)
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #13: Dominium Q&A with Malcolm Sparrow” »