Is It the Weekend Yet? – Daily Dispatch for 8/30/18
It’s almost Labor Day Weekend here in the U.S., and that means the unofficial end of Summer. Sure, Summer doesn’t ACTUALLY end until September 22nd, but it’s something of a weird tradition we have here. The upshot is we get a long weekend, and I am so, so, soooooo looking forward to it. I should have some time to game, but what I really want is time to sleep. I still have an odd relationship with sleep. When the time comes to actually DO it, I’m resistant because hey I wanna stay awake. Awake is fun it’s where the video games are. Then, when I don’t get enough, I super duper regret not listening to the smart part of my brain and going to bed earlier. When I DO get enough of it, I’m super grateful. This week, I so didn’t get enough, so I am still just…winded.
HOPEFULLY, I can fix that a bit this coming weekend. Alright, now let’s get to the crud you actually care about, ‘eh? ;)
In today’s episode of Starglider 2, I actually tried to care. I was given a list of things to get, and by gum, I was gonna get ’em. Some of the things I’d need were in the hulls of space pirate ships, so I had to go and kill some of them. You never seem to upgrade your ship, so you’re apparently always capable of taking them out. And take them out I did, a lot of them, but I NEVER got any of their cargo. It was super frustrating. I also tried to find a tree to tractor beam into my ship, but it didn’t seem to work. This game is freaking weird.
AstroViking is just a simple twin-stick shooter with a basic progression mechanic. It doesn’t ask a lot, but it also doesn’t cost a lot, and sometimes, you just want the simple pleasure of shooting and punching alien spaceships.
- Planetes launched its Q3 development roadmap, as well as a new patch.
- Worbital has a new devblog talking emotes, build limits and more.
- Stellaris has a new development diary that focuses pretty much entirely on planets.
- Solar Settlers now has an expert mode for experienced players that aren’t me. ;)
- Gaia Beyond got a fairly big patch that adds a new sidequest, achievements and more.
- Spacebourne is going to be delayed a bit before its release, sadly.
- EVE Online saw one of its oldest characters put up for sale and go for around $6,300.
- Humble launched its Summer Sale in its store today, with just a ton, TON of games on sale. Like, maybe everything they have. Seriously.
- Humble also launched a Paradox Interactive sale today, with the usual suspects.
- WinGameStore launched its massive Back to School Sale today as well, with tons of games on sale.
- GreenManGaming launched its Ready Player Two sale today, which includes multiplayer and co-op games like Interstellar Rift, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and more.
What I’ve Been Playing
- BloodLust 2: Nemesis – Yes, more of this. It’s really quite good, though when I got to sublevel three of the dungeon I was in, I experienced my first death. Thankfully, at least on easy — which I wasn’t aware I was playing at — dying only moves you somewhere else in the dungeon. It’s when the wraith gets you and kicks your ass that you’re moved somewhere really nasty. Overall I’m having a blast with this one.
- Starcom: Nexus – Do you like Starflight?! Did you love the fun space bits of The Long Journey Home but not the awful rover bits? Well then I have a game for you. I got a key for this yesterday, and lost an hour to it before I even realized it. It has ship-building, exploration, research and alien communication. It’s SO Starflighty, but the best bit is when you send a rover down, you’re just given a series of choices on how the rover crew proceeds, you don’t have to, like, crash the rover all over the place. It’s great! I should be doing a video of this one soon, as soon as I’m sure I’m allowed. ;)
That’ll do it for today y’all! Have a great one.