Minecraft’s Notch Planning Firefly/Elite-Style Sim…

1. Therlun says:

Too bad Northstar will probably never happen, with the Sots2 debacle and all.

Wait….Northstar? Wassat, and why haven't I heard of it? ;)

• Therlun says:

Kerberus (Sword of the Stars) announced Northstar at some point.

It was supposed to be an open galaxy you explored, traded and interacted in.

Humanity just started exploring the galaxy, with earth nations having their own colonial empires, military etc.

You would have played the role of a captain that inherited an independent starship and made his own luck in a world between human factions and alien species.

You had a variable crew with "lots of character". Combat was turn based. Besides ship to ship combat there was X-Com like tactical combat for boarding actions.

The focus would have been trade and exploration with "deep" combat and faction interaction.

I am honestly amazed I've never heard of this. The folks who made the Space Empires games made a similar style game, and it sucked. :/ The one that was to be in the Fading Suns universe looked awesome though. We could totally use more games like that. Sigh.

2. Tony says:

Sounds pretty sweet to me. Plus Notch loves us PC folks… :)

Yeah, I'm cautiously excited my own self. I'll feel more confident once we have more details. Right now it's little more than a pipe dream, though a lovely one.

3. Fabien says: