Archive.org, also known as the Internet Wayback Machine, has for a while now been building an Historical Software Collection that’s been adding all sorts of awesome games we all grew up with, from E.T. and Pitfall and Choplifter…okay, maybe games I grew up with, but still, it’s pretty awesome. Well, according to a blog post, they just added the grandaddy of all space games, SpaceWar! from 1962! A while back I reviewed SpaceWar! using a little Java applet, but the emulator here is much more advanced, requiring an actual startup sequence and so on. If you’ve not experienced not only the oldest of space games, but one of the oldest video games period (only beaten by a Tic Tac Toe game that came out a bit earlier), check it out!
Listen to the Latest Podcast!
On the Next Podcast…
- Game of the Week - Space Tyrant 02/26/2018 – 03/02/2018 This week, we'll engage in some tyrannical space conquest with Space Tyrant!
- Release: Space Tyrant 02/27/2018 Space Tyrant, the fast-playing "5X" game, is slated for release today!
- Podcast #238 - Elite Grievances 02/27/2018 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM You've heard us talk about it on the show before, but for this one episode, ALL We're gonna talk about is Elite: Dangerous.
- LAN Party Thursdays - Guns of Icarus Alliance 03/01/2018 at 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM This week we'll be returning to the co-op steamship combat game, Guns of Icarus Alliance!
- Week Off 03/05/2018 – 03/09/2018 I'm having dental surgery on 3/2, so this week, no videos or podcasts as I recover.