Who Are You?
Hi there! My name is Brian Rubin, and I’ve been playing games with spaceships on a computer for roughly thirty years, ever since Lunar Lander back on my Radio Shack TRS-80. Since then, I’ve developed a love and a passion for space games. Simulations, 4X strategy games, real-time strategy games, trading games, you name it. My personal motto has been, “if it has a spaceship, I’ll play it.”
What’s This Site About?
This site was inspired by The CRPG Addict, who is writing his own journey regarding computer role playing games. When I first saw the site, I was inspired to make my own spin on this awesome idea, but with space games instead. Therefore, I decided to create my own website about my passion for space-based gaming. This site will test the motto posted above. This site is also my own love letter to the genre and everyone involved in it, so I’ll not only spend time reviewing games old and new, but also trying to promote the games being made by passionate people who also love the space gaming genre.
What Will I Find Here?
Besides news on current and upcoming space-based computer games, in keeping with the tradition set up by The CRPG Addict, I plan to play and review every computer-based space game ever made. So far I’ve compiled a list of hundreds of games, and these will be reviewed in order by year and then by name (since I don’t know exact release dates), along with interviews, op-eds and a weekly podcast. You’ll also find an amazing community of fans (the best around, in my opinion) who share the love of space and sci-fi gaming.
The Rules of Covering a Game
These rules are somewhat adapted from The CRPG Addict’s own rules, because they work so well. :)
- I will play a game for at least six hours before writing about it, longer if I like it. I do not have to win a game to write about it.
- If a game can be purchased, I will do so. Otherwise, I have no issues with downloading a game from an emulator or abandonware site.
- I will not use cheats, walkthroughs or FAQ’s to proceed in a game, nor will I reload a save game for a better outcome. Save games will be used only as a last resort (i.e. my character(s) died).
- I will only play games released for computers, such as those made by Commodore, Atari, Apple and IBM. Console and mobile games aren’t to be considered.
- For a game to be considered, it has to have a major component that focuses on a spaceship of some sort. This includes interaction, command and control.
- Total conversion mods will be considered if they offer a new and unique experience over the game they’re built upon, essentially creating a new game.
- Games will be covered in order of year, followed by alphabetical order.
- If a new space game is released, however, I’ll write a review of it as quickly as possible in order to give it timely promotion, then resume with my original chronological order.
- If a game’s author is kind enough to send me a copy of their game, I’ll add it into the current queue of reviews to reward that kindness.
- Reviews will be in the format of either a one-shot article or a multi-article series, which will be determined on a case-by-case basis and will be at my discretion.
I hope this helps explain how I’ve created my list of games for consideration. I also hope this sufficiently explained the what, who and why of this website. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me, and thanks for visiting!
PS. Who Did The Background Image?
The background image currently used on this site is from the artist Alexander Preuss, and is entitled, “The Broken Armistice over Abalakin”. I am currently attempting to obtain permission to use this awesome piece of art.