Hello my friends, and welcome to NEWS. ;) I’m starting the year from scratch, as I had way too many news thingies in my queue slowing me down, so this is news from the past couple of weeks or so. I’m really gonna strive to do this more regular-like, but no promises. There’s a ton of fun stuff here, and as always, videos are embedded below. :) Now, let’s get on with it. :)
- Void Destroyer – OMG according to the game’s Kickstarter, the early-released version of the game is going to be on Steam THIS WEDNESDAY! YAY! Two new trailers have been released as well, which will be embedded below.
- FleetCOMM : Operation Vigrior – Two updates in the last several days explain why the project is behind, and where it’s going from here. I’m still excited to play the thing my own self. There’s also a video below of the game’s dynamic planet generator.
- Ring Runner – The Videogame Backlog has a review of the game which is fairly positive. There’s also a video Q&A with the devs on the Sweet!Creeper YouTube channel
- Wing Commander: Armada – According to the CIC, an enterprising fan has launched a server through Classic Gaming Arena for up to sixteen players.
- Super Wing Commander – Also according to the CIC, the folks at Edge Magazine took a look at the classic 3DO version of the game.
- Wing Commander: Prophecy – Finally from the CIC, an enterprising fan has written an upgrade patch for the OEM version of this game which, back in 1997 came with the Real3D Starfighter and missed out on the advanced effects put out by the 3dFX version, and brings the OEM version up to use OpenGL. I love fans that do stuff like this.
- Wings of Saint Nezaire – There’s a new video on the official site showing off the cockpit of the new Cobra heavy fighter, also embedded below.
- Eterium – On the game’s Kickstarter is a new update talking about a new demo, the beta being approved on Desura and much more
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager – The game is undergoing an evolution of sorts, which will include a new campaign, widescreen support and more.
- Predestination – The folks behind this game have launched another Kickstarter for a 3D ship designer, and is already well past its goal. If you missed the last one, check this out.
- PULSAR: Lost Colony – There are two development videos on YouTube (and embedded below) talking about the new life support system and the player hub.
- Rogue System – There’s a new development video talks about one of the fighter’s modular cockpit, which looks awesome.
- Rodina – A new version of the game ADDS HEADLIGHTS! OMG YAY! Oh, and also gamepad support, sure, but HEADLIGHTS!
- Star Citizen – The official site has a new Ten for the Chairman Q&A installment with Chris Roberts, a Q&A with Drake Cutlass designer Patrick Thomas (along with work-in-progress pics of the Cutlass), a galactic guide to Drake Interplanetary and the Magnus system, and a new lore builder installment on squad celebrities. On Stick and Rudder, they have five reasons why it’s not a PVP game.
- Drox Operative – There are new reviews of the expansion over on RPG Codex and Christ Centered Gamer, as well as some new patches for the game as well.
- Kickstarters – Thanks to Goomich for pointing out two spacey Kickstarters I missed, New Orbit and Space Pioneer, both of which could use some help. Universe Rush could also use some assistance.
- Galactic Starfighter – IncGamers.com has a link to a recent development video that shows off some gameplay and gives a final release date of February 4th.
- Infinite Pixels – A new milestone version of the game (0.5.0) adds a ton of crap to the game, like a jetpack, asteroids (with mining, yay!) and more! I really need to try this one out.
- Starship Corporation – A new version of the alpha is out that adds a power grid, a basic tutorial and more.
- Deep Space Settlement – Tons of videos from these folks, such as wishing us a happy new year, showing smooth camera transitions along with in-game fog, along with a 3D render of a frigate, synchronized firing, a dual spline cruiser and a utility spline as well. Wow these guys are busy, can’t wait to actually play the thing. ;)
- Approaching Infinity – A new post on Kickstarter talks about the game’s randomized crafting system.
- M.O.R.E. – Space Sector has a new article checking in with the developer a year after their successful Kickstarter.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a new dev article looking at the sexy-as-hell Atrox Cruiser.
- Kerbal Space Program – The Squad guys received honorable mention at the IGF. Yay! Also, amazing YouTuber Das24680 has posted the last in his long line of Kerbal videos.
- Vendetta Online – A new patch adds crossfading music, new kill-on-sight statuses and more.
- Wayward: Terran Frontier – Two updates on the site talk about a new content patch and being on Steam Greenlight, as well as a look ahead.
- Infinite Space 3 – The latest update shows some game editor footage and talks about how their engine is coming along.
- Limit Theory – The latest update shows off new AI, a new UI and shinier graphics. Preeeeeetttyyyyyy…
- EVE Online – The Mittani has an intriguing article entitled The Human Nature of EVE which is pretty compelling.
- Stars of Call – Over on our own forums, Mutos has put out a new version of the game with more border stations and much more! Check it out, it’s free!
- Sublight – Found this new game on Desura, hope to check it out soon and I hope you do too. ;)
- And Here the Wheel – The author of the Elite: Dangerous tie-in novel has a recent update on his blog about how the book is coming along.
Finally, in related news, a new dev video showing off AMD’s Mantle technology has some space battle porn (though it’s a tech demo and not an actual game). Finally, new came through that Mobygames has been purchased by Blue Flame Labs LLC, which is great because it seemed to be languishing under GameFly. I love the site and use it quite often for its extensive knowledgebase of classic gaming, and you should too. ;)
That’s it folks, and thank GAWD because I need a nap. Whew! :) Enjoy all the news and videos below, and have a great day!
We Got Your Videos Right Here!
Approaching Infinity, buzz aldrin's space program manager, Deep Space Settlement, drox operative, Eterium, eve online, FleetCOMM : Operation Vigrior, Galactic Starfighter, Infinite Pixels, Infinite Space 3, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, m.o.r.e., New Orbit, predestination, PULSAR: Lost Colony, Ring Runner, rodina, rogue system, Space Pioneer, star citizen, star trek online, stars of call, starship corporation, Sublight, Super Wing Commander, Universe Rush, Vendetta Online, Void Destroyer, wayward terran frontier, wing commander prophecy, wing commander: armada, Wings of Saint Nezaire
SO MUCH NEWSINESS!
Helllllloooooo my wonderful awesome friends! I’m back! I think! *checks* Yes, I’m back! Sorry for the lack of news posts, got surprisingly busy all over the place and just didn’t have the time. I do now though, yay! There’s a lot to go over, so let’s dive in, it’s all warm and stuff! ;)
- EVE Online – On the official site, they have a video of true stories from the first decade of the game (which will be embdedded below). The Mittani has articles on cruise missile fixes, mission fixes and news about an alliance slapfight.
- Drox Operative – The big news is MOD TOOLS! Yay! There’s also a new patch that fixes trade requests and other things.
- StarMade – Several updates include news on server crashes, a custom docking area, wedge shapes, faction options and other bugfixes.
- Star Conflict – There are updates on new gold standards as well as a new combat specialization.
- Star Citizen – There’s new art of the 300i fighter, which is alovely. There’s also a naming system poll, a spotlight on fan RADD and a new update to their writer’s guide.
- Voidnex – Thanks to reader Goomich for pointing out this new game to me. Looks nifty!
- StarDrive – The good folks at RTS Guru have written a preview of the game.
- FTL – You can now buy FTL-themed merchandise, such as a Kestrel hoodie or a pirate t-shirt. I so want the hoodie. There’s also an interview with the devs over on PixelJudge.
- Solar War – There’s a new version of the game available, which adds support for more factions, event chains and even more.
- Freespace Port – Version 3.4 of the port of Descent: Freespace to the Freespace 2 engine has been released! Go git it!
- Rogue System – Their new website has a chart that shows the progress of the game, which is awesome to see. I want it now though. ;)
- Infinite Space 3 – On their Kickstarter, they’ve announced a soundtrack as well as stretch goals! Go check it out and kick ‘em something!
- Mok Force – Thanks to Rock, Paper Shotgun for writing about this neat-looking shmup.
- Homeworld 2 Complex – The latest version of this extensive mod has been released on ModDB. You can see a trailer of it in action below.
- Neptune’s Pride II – Thanks again to Rock, Paper Shotgun for letting us know about a new version of this popular browser-based space conquest game.
- Endless Space – The Amplitude folks need help to save the Sowers.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new build which adds event handling and a new UI, among other things. The game also has its own cursor now, as well as velociraptors. ;)
- Stars of Call – According to a post on our very own forum, there’s a new version of this nifty Naev total conversion.
- Infinity – There’s a HUGE update on planetary engine improvements, which looks FANTASTIC. Can they FINALLY release this thing please? ;)
- Kerbal Space Program – As reported by Eurogamer, there was some confusion and outcry over the notion of paid expansions for the game. This was thankfully dealt with by a post from the devs on their blog.
- Void of Darkness – The dev has begun writing the dialog for all the alien races, apparently.
- Star Trek Online – There’s a new Legacy of Romulus dev blog entry to read.
- And Here the Wheel – There’s a new podcast episode for y’all to listen to. :)
- Elite: Dangerous – There’s a new Fiction Diary for the game on YouTube, as well as embedded below.
- Galactic Patrol 2013 – There’s a new Kickstarter for this game that has the blessings of the original Galactic Patrol folks. Go check it out.
- Joystick Required – This was a space game news site run by a Jumpgate colleague of mine back in the day, and it’s back, so go check it out and say hello!
- Strike Vector – This is spacey enough to warrant inclusion. Just go watch this trailer. Seriously, watch it.
- AI War – There’s a new patch called “Nebulous Diligence” which works to improve the AI.
We’re not done yet folks! We have DEALS too!! Let’s do this!
- Space Pirates and Zombies is on sale at GMG for $5.08
- Beat Hazard EVERYTHING is part of the latest Indie Gala weekly bundle, and you can get all of it f or $1.87, which is a FREAKING steal people.
- Gamestop is having a spring sale on everything Stardock, which includes:
- AI War is also part of a Steam weeklong sale, in which everything is 75% off.
- There’s also an IndieFort Spring Bundle which has both AI War and Zigfrak for $7.99.
FINALLY, the folks at Arcen games (who made the aforementioned AI War) have announced a new game called Skyward Collapse, which looks awesome.
That’s it! Have a great day folks!
Get’cher Videos Right Here…
ai war fleet command, And Here the Wheel, beat hazard, beyond beyaan, Descent: Freespace, drox operative, elite: dangerous, endless space, eve online, freespace 2, FTL, Galactic Civilizations I, galactic civilizations ii, galactic patrol 2013, homeworld 2, Infinite Space 3, infinity, Kerbal Space Program, mok force, neptune's pride ii, rogue system, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, solar war, space pirates and zombies, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, stardrive, starmade, stars of call, strike vector, void of darkness, voidnex, zigfrak
OMG NEW NEWS GRAPHIC! ;)
Hey folks, happy Friday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, was a crazy day and just didn’t have time. There’s two days worth of stuff here, so let’s get right to it!
- Vendetta Online – The Kickstarter — which has only 53 hours left with only 44% funded — has a new update showing off the game on an iPad.
- Beyond Beyaan – Their Kickstarter — which has four days left and is 95% funded — has a new post showing off two races and new stretch goals.
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Thanks to reader Robert for letting me know that OMG THE MANUAL IS FINALLY AVAILABLE ONLINE. Head over to Scribd to check it out.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has two great articles up, one on the U930 massacre, and one on learning the hard way in the game about luck and loss.
- Enemy Starfighter – First new update in a while! This time there’s a post on new AI in the game, which looks awesome.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch called Guarding the Space that optimizes the graphics and controls, as well as new wallpaper for y’all to download.
- Endless Space – Apparently their 4th add-on will be titled Virtual Awakening, and they have a post showing a new hero and new tech. Fun stuff, I hope!
- Escaping Titan – Tyler was interviewed by the folks on Gamezone about the game.
- StarDrive – The folks at IncGamers have written up a lovely preview of the game.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new issue of The Lost Generation on the official site, and their Facebook page has a cool modeling graphic of a Bengal carrier.
- Star Trek Online – Apparently Andorian escort vessels are now available in the game, and they look wonderfully menacing, I think.
- StarLife – There’s some new concept art by Aimee Seaver for y’all to gawk at. :)
- FringeSpace – Thanks to Jim for letting me know about this one. It’s apparently a project to remake Tachyon: The Fringe in the Freespace engine. I love the idea.
- Stars of Call – On our forums, user Mutos let us know about a Naev total conversion that’s based on their original fictional universe. It looks pretty damned cool, and you can try it out for free.
- Ring Runner – There’s a great new video showing off a multiplayer match with bots, which I’ll embed below the cut.
- Bitfighter – This is a new free multiplayer space combat game over on Desura that looks kinda fun.
Now, in deals, there are a LOT to go over, so let’s dive in:
- Gratuitous Space Battles is having a free weekend on Steam, plus the game itself is 75% off, meaning the base game is $3.74 and the “complete” pack is $4.74. The discount isn’t on the latest DLC though.
- Lunar Flight (PC, Mac) is on sale at GetGames for 4.99.
- The Indie Gala Colossus bundle includes a copy of Galactic Civilizations 1: Ultimate Edition along with a buncha other games if you pay around $5 as I write this.
- Amazon is having a HUGE Farewell to February sale, which includes a few space games such as Space Empires 5 for $4.99, O.R.B. for $2.49 and Spacebar (which I’ve never heard of) for $1.24.
- While not technically a space game, Sword of the Stars: The Pit — from the folks who made the Sword of the Stars space games — is finally available and going for $8.99 on GamersGate. Initial impressions are quite mixed on this one.
Finally, in kinda-related news, one of the co-founders of the Unity engine, which a lot of space game devs are using these days, it seems, has left the company to make games on his own. Finally finally, Ziff-Davis closed down 1Up, UGO and GameSpy yesterday, all of which gave decent coverage to space games, so I wish all those folks luck in finding new gigs.
That’s it for today folks! Have an awesome weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Dealsies 2/21-22/13: Random Bucket of Randomness” »
beyond beyaan, bitfighter, endless space, enemy starfighter, escaping titan, eve online, fringespace, galactic civilizations, gratuitous space battles, Lunar Flight, o.r.b., Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, Rules of Engagement 2, Space Empires V, spacebar, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, stardrive, starlife, stars of call, sword of the stars, Vendetta Online