So! Much! Color!
Haaaaaaaaayyyy guuuuuuuuys, how are ya? Sorry for the delay in this week’s podcast episode, but Jim and I were both busier than usual this week with the real life nonsense. That said, we had no guest this past week, so we just caught up on what we’ve been playing, the news and all sorts of other stuff. It was a fun time, so we hope you enjoy it.
Podcast: Play in new window
As always, please feel free to comment on the podcast below (I’m not creating specific forum threads anymore, no one uses ‘em ;) and follow us using RSS and/or iTunes. Thanks for listening!
Continue reading “SGJ Podcast #12: A Potpourri of Pew Pew” »
Cosmic Encounter Online, Dark Space, distant worlds, drox operative, Earth & Beyond, Eclipse, endless space, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, Icarus Ascends, Independence War, Jumpgate, legends of pegasus, limit theory, master of orion, Omega Boost, rodina, Salvation Prophecy, star citizen, Star Command, Star Trek Klingon Academy, star trek: starfleet command: orion pirates, stardrive, Strike Suit Infinity, Unstoppable Gorg, x3 albion prelude
Hellooooo everyone, and welcome to Monday! I’m off today on account of getting a tooth removed, so I’m writing part of this before I leave for my little operation. I’ll write the rest when I get back, likely on drugs, to add to the entertainment. ;) Sorry for the lack of news later last week, the week totally got away from me. That said, let’s get into some newwwwwws bitches! ;)
- Homeworld – Gearbox has purchased the IP.
Apparently, according to PC Gamer (and other sources, but I saw it there first), someone — and we don’t know who yet — snagged the Homeworld IP in a recent auction of THQ’s assets. Sadly, it wasn’t to the teamPixel folks who’d been trying to hard to raise the funds. Hopefully it ended up in good hands, but we don’t know yet, sadly.
- Infinite Space 3 – There’s some new art and a combat video over on their Kickstarter page. We’re also gonna be interviewing some of the folks behind this game for this week’s podcast, so stay tuned! :)
- Void of Darkness – A couple of updated for your reading pleasure. First, a forum update, followed by a role-playing update, which is nifty.
- StarMade – There are some new server stability fixes and the fixing of a ghost bug.
- ScrumbleShip – According to the dev’s Kickstarter and IndieDB pages, there will be a new launcher for the game called ScrumbleGet. This I like.
- Ring Runner – According to a post on their Kicksarter, their lon-linear arch is nearly complete, which has me all aflutter, as I love non-linear anything. There’s also an interview with their Dryere brothers — the lead devs of the game — in The Leader, which is a good read (based on what I skimmed anyway). ;)
- EVE Online – Loooots of stuff recently. First, from the official site blogs, there’s news of a single sign in for account management, a spotlight on EVE Backstage, and info on the client and EULA modifications. Then from The Mittani, they have articles on the burning of Jita, the death of Aeon, ten years of GARPA and an epic brawl in Ardia which resulted in the loss of ten capital ships.
- Star Rift – Thanks to Goomich over on Steam for letting me know about this new game on Greenlight. It looks like a first/third-person space combat/trading game, and you can learn more from the official site or from the trailer, which I’ll embed after the cut.
- Star Trek Online – There are dev blogs on Romulan ship progression and a revamp to the UI, as well as a video showing off a Legacy Pack, which I’ll embed below.
- Icarus Ascends – The dev for this game came onto our forum to let us know about this game, which looks pretty cool. Go check it out! I’ll embed the video below.
- Escaping Titan – Congrats to the team on their super successful Kickstarter, which brought in over 300% of its goal.
- Infinity – Rock, Paper Shotgun has a nice article summimg up where the game is now after all this time.
- Beyond Beyaan – There are two posts covering UI and data in the game.
- StarDrive – According to a post on RTS Guru, the game will be available this Friday, April 26th. They also have a preview to boot. I’m working on my own preview too, so please stay tuned. :)
- Star Conflict – The latest update to the game brings along sector conquests with it. Nifty!
- Vendetta Online – The game has now been officially released for the iPad! One more reason I wanna get one someday! ;)
- Star Citizen – Part three of the Writer’s Guide is now up, and you can also watch a video with team member Adam Poole, which I’ll also embed below.
But wait, there’s more, we also have some deals to gawk at!!
Finally, the dev of Lex Laser Saves the Galaxy, Again asked me to pimp his game on Kickstarter, so here ya go, and you can see some lovely concept ship art by Philipp Erkinger at the Concept Ships blog.
That’s it folks, now I’m gonna go crawl into a ball and hope this pain goes away soon. ;) Have a great day!
Continue reading “Space Game News and Deals 4/18-22/13: The Owwie Edition” »
beyond beyaan, dawnstar, endless space, escaping titan, eve online, Galaxy on Fire II HD, gimbal, Homeworld, Icarus Ascends, Infinite Space 3, infinity, Mass Effect 2, ring runner, ScrumbleShip, star citizen, Star Conflict, Star Rift, star trek online, stardrive, starmade, Vendetta Online, void of darkness
Titan Doesn’t Look So Bad…
Hey folks, sorry for the lateness of this week’s podcast. CRAZY week. That being said, this week Jim and I sat down with Asa Gillette, Chris Cheng and Tyler Yohe from Broken Crown Games about their Escaping Titan sourcebook Kickstarter, the game itself, and bunch of other random nonsense. ;)
Podcast: Play in new window
We hope you enjoy it, and as always, and feel free to leave any comments or questions below or in the forum. Sorry for the shortness of this post, but I have to get back to doing all this work. Also, there are some more adult-oriented themes at the end of this one, so if you have kids in the room, be careful (the convo got a bit wonky, but hopefully funny). ;) Enjoy!
Scant Show Notes This Way!
SO MUCH NEWSINESS!
Helllloooo everyone! SOOO SORRY I’ve been lax on posting the news, but I’ve been just SO busy and SO tired I’ve barely had a break for anything else. In fact, that TIE Fighter video below was pretty much all I’ve had energy for recently until now, thankfully. I’m finally feeling more awake and human, and need to get both you folks AND myself informed as to the latest spacey gamey stuff going on, so let’s dive in, it’s pretty deep.
- Escaping Titan – The Kickstarter for the Escaping Titan rulebook collection has launched, and has a very modest funding fee which will, I believe, help fund the game itself. I know I’m kicking to it, are you? ;) These guys will also be on the next episode of the podcast, so stay tuned!
- Weird Worlds – This awesome, AWESOME game is now on Steam! YAY! Go get it! :)
- Horizon – Got word today that Iceberg Interactive will be publishing this game! Congrats to them!
- Star Citizen – Lots of updates here. First, Gamasutra has an interview with Chris Roberts on his crowdfunding successes. Gameinformer also has an intterview with the main man. Then, the official site has some Terra concept art, a new issue of “The Lost Generation“, a fan spotlight on ship designs, and a video with lead artist Mark Skelton, which will be below.
- I.O.U: Isle of Universe – Thanks to Demorve on Quarter to Three for pointing this out to me. Over on Steam Greenlight, there’s an interesting looking game called I.O.U: Isle of Universe which I’d never heard of before, but looks nifty as heck, so I’ma keep an eye out on it. :) You can see a video of the game in action after the cut.
- Starflight II – The CRPG Addict has posted several entries covering his look at the game, which are all fantastic reads as usual. :) If you’ve not played this, they’re VERY spoilery, FYI, so proceed with caution.
- EVE Online – Holy crap, lots of articles on this one. The official site has stories on The Angel Project and a dev blog on the war on bots. The Mittani has a look at the The Burning Life novel, two articles on the use of carriers, and various articles covering the TEST Alliance, EVE University’s head resigning, incoming planetary ownership in Dust, Li3 Alliance having its wallet stolen, a look at the revised Black Ops system, and a look at the old Naglfar cap ship. Whew!
- Star Conflict – The Mittani also has an article on getting started in the game. There’s also a small Q&A on the official site.
- FTL – Polygon has a lovely little story about the background of the game and its success.
- Kerbal Space Program – Version 0.19 has been released which includes Linux support, atmospheric effects, new parts and a lot more. I need to make another video of this ASAP.
- AI War – There’s a new update entitled “Core Foamhammer” which adds new versions of eighteen ships.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new update on wormholes and starlanes for y’all to read.
- Distant Worlds – Rob over on One Guy, Too Many Games has reviewed the game and found it didn’t click with him, sadly.
- Star Lords – According to a Tweet from the game’s developer, you can now get Alpha 3.0 at the official site.
- Limit Theory – There’s a new progress update over on the the game’s forum which, as always, is a great read.
- StarDrive – To help make up for my own lack of a preview (SORRY, been so busy), I present to you this comical Let’s Play forum series.
- Angular Velocity – There’s are a couple of progress updates as well as a new video, which will be under the cut below.
- StarStrategy – The lead developer is looking for help with some graphics for the game. There’s also a new screenshot, new video, and some progress updates.
- Void of Darkness – There’s a new call for alpha testers, and a new video to gawk at as well!
- Miner Wars 2081 – There’s a new update for the game which apparently includes the source code!
- Elite: Dangerous – Thanks to Wild Bill for sending these in! :) There’s a new progress update video up on Kickstarter.
- Infinity – Wow, twice in as many weeks with a new update, this time talking about the possibility of a Kickstarter and other fun stuff.
- Predestination – There’s a new race reveal! Meet the Sauros! Aren’t they ADORABLE? ;)
- Galactic Reign – This is a new game that looks like a fun space conquest game, but is only available on Windows 8 and Windows Phone, so I likely won’t be playing it. Sighs. Thanks VGN247!
- Drox Operative – JUST UNDER THE WIRE. Just as I was about to post this story, I saw there’s a new patch for the game which adds…new colors on some ships…oh, and a bug.
Next up, SolCommand has some lovely models for your game creation usage, this time of a Giza Pyramid ship, a Dyn shield emitter, a Kurat Command Ship and some futuristic towers. Finally (OMG I KNOW), the Concept Ships blog has lovely art from rd7, Colin Foran and Jon McCoy.
WHEW! I need a nap! Have a good one folks, and I’ll try to make these more regular in the coming week, but don’t be surprised if I miss a day or two, as I’m just swamped. :/ Thanks for visiting and reading, as always, and have a great day!
Continue reading “Space Game News and Deals 3/13-19/13: Serious Ketchup Needed” »
ai war fleet command, angular velocity, beyond beyaan, distant worlds, drox operative, elite: dangerous, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, Galactic Reign, horizon, I.O.U: Isle of Universe, infinity, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, miner wars 2081, predestination, star citizen, Star Conflict, star lords, stardrive, Starflight II: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula, starstrategy, void of darkness, weird worlds return to infinite space
OMG NEW NEWS GRAPHIC! ;)
Hey folks, happy Friday! Sorry about the lack of news yesterday, was a crazy day and just didn’t have time. There’s two days worth of stuff here, so let’s get right to it!
- Vendetta Online – The Kickstarter — which has only 53 hours left with only 44% funded — has a new update showing off the game on an iPad.
- Beyond Beyaan – Their Kickstarter — which has four days left and is 95% funded — has a new post showing off two races and new stretch goals.
- Rules of Engagement 2 – Thanks to reader Robert for letting me know that OMG THE MANUAL IS FINALLY AVAILABLE ONLINE. Head over to Scribd to check it out.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has two great articles up, one on the U930 massacre, and one on learning the hard way in the game about luck and loss.
- Enemy Starfighter – First new update in a while! This time there’s a post on new AI in the game, which looks awesome.
- Star Conflict – There’s a new patch called Guarding the Space that optimizes the graphics and controls, as well as new wallpaper for y’all to download.
- Endless Space – Apparently their 4th add-on will be titled Virtual Awakening, and they have a post showing a new hero and new tech. Fun stuff, I hope!
- Escaping Titan – Tyler was interviewed by the folks on Gamezone about the game.
- StarDrive – The folks at IncGamers have written up a lovely preview of the game.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new issue of The Lost Generation on the official site, and their Facebook page has a cool modeling graphic of a Bengal carrier.
- Star Trek Online – Apparently Andorian escort vessels are now available in the game, and they look wonderfully menacing, I think.
- StarLife – There’s some new concept art by Aimee Seaver for y’all to gawk at. :)
- FringeSpace – Thanks to Jim for letting me know about this one. It’s apparently a project to remake Tachyon: The Fringe in the Freespace engine. I love the idea.
- Stars of Call – On our forums, user Mutos let us know about a Naev total conversion that’s based on their original fictional universe. It looks pretty damned cool, and you can try it out for free.
- Ring Runner – There’s a great new video showing off a multiplayer match with bots, which I’ll embed below the cut.
- Bitfighter – This is a new free multiplayer space combat game over on Desura that looks kinda fun.
Now, in deals, there are a LOT to go over, so let’s dive in:
- Gratuitous Space Battles is having a free weekend on Steam, plus the game itself is 75% off, meaning the base game is $3.74 and the “complete” pack is $4.74. The discount isn’t on the latest DLC though.
- Lunar Flight (PC, Mac) is on sale at GetGames for 4.99.
- The Indie Gala Colossus bundle includes a copy of Galactic Civilizations 1: Ultimate Edition along with a buncha other games if you pay around $5 as I write this.
- Amazon is having a HUGE Farewell to February sale, which includes a few space games such as Space Empires 5 for $4.99, O.R.B. for $2.49 and Spacebar (which I’ve never heard of) for $1.24.
- While not technically a space game, Sword of the Stars: The Pit — from the folks who made the Sword of the Stars space games — is finally available and going for $8.99 on GamersGate. Initial impressions are quite mixed on this one.
Finally, in kinda-related news, one of the co-founders of the Unity engine, which a lot of space game devs are using these days, it seems, has left the company to make games on his own. Finally finally, Ziff-Davis closed down 1Up, UGO and GameSpy yesterday, all of which gave decent coverage to space games, so I wish all those folks luck in finding new gigs.
That’s it for today folks! Have an awesome weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey News and Dealsies 2/21-22/13: Random Bucket of Randomness” »
beyond beyaan, bitfighter, endless space, enemy starfighter, escaping titan, eve online, fringespace, galactic civilizations, gratuitous space battles, Lunar Flight, o.r.b., Ring Runner - Flight of The Sages, Rules of Engagement 2, Space Empires V, spacebar, star citizen, Star Conflict, star trek online, stardrive, starlife, stars of call, sword of the stars, Vendetta Online
I’ll Be Visually Speaking to These Guys (or Guy)…;)
Hey folks, welcome to my first ever live Q&A, or video Q&A. Now, I usually don’t like to subject folks to my ugly mug, but Tyler of Broken Crown Games came up with the idea, so blame him. ;) This Q&A will cover their upcoming game, Escaping Titan, as well as their Science Behind the Sci-Fi panels, and whatever else comes up. We’ll be using Google+ Hangout to broadcast this, so you can join us on:
Starting tonight, 1/31/13 at 6 PM Pacific, 9 PM Eastern. Now, I think, THINK it can also be embedded here using a simple YouTube embed link, so if I CAN do that, I’ll add a link after a cut below. I invite y’all to join us if only just to watch me make a mess of everything, but also to learn more about the game and the folks behind it. ;)
Edit: All done, and what a good time! Due to a technical glitch, the Q&A is in two videos, which you can see after the cut. I wanna do more of these now! ;)
Continue reading “Escapting Titan Video Q&A: There’s a First Time for Everything (That Was Fun!)” »
I’ve Got The Whole…News…In My Hands…
Hellloooo everyone, and happy hump day! I hope y’all are having a lovely week thus far, and to hopefully add some spaceship shininess to your day, here’s a buncha news for your eyes to feast upon! Plenty of vids today too, so they’ll all be embedded after the cut.
- Star Citizen – The folks on the official site want’cha to meet Chris Smith, new 3D Artist on the gam, and I’ll embed the video below .They also plan live chats with specific members of their dev team I think going on right now. The Concept Ships blog also has some concept art from the game, some (all?) of which we’ve seen. Finally, there’s a new screenshot of a carrier and some squadrons on Facebook that is GORGEOUS.
- Star Trek Online – Several posts about their upcoming third anniversary today, including specific ships, events, and a reveal video over on PC Gamer — which has Denise Crosby, apparently.
- EVE Online – The Mittani has a couple of articles for us today, one on EVE role playing, and a video interview with Tempelman N, head of the Bombers Bar corporation.
- FTL – The Mittani also have a review of the game on their site.
- Beyond Beyaan – Two Kickstarter updates for us, one regarding reaching 20% of his funding goal (yay!) and the other on some new tiers.
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a new video showing off the creation of a factory station. Can I have this game yet? Like, now? ;)
- Strike Suit Zero – The folks at The Pixel Press have both a textual review and a video review. Wowie.
- Endless Space – The Amplitude folks are having an Automoton ship design competition that you can enter. The prize is a signed artbook. Cool!
- SkyJacker – Over on Kickstarter, the devs have detailed exactly where their newfound money will be going. I love that kinda transparency.
- Drifter – Yet another screenshot, this time of some angry battle. PEW PEW!
- Dominion – These folks have some lovely new high-res planet screenshots to show y’all.
- Spatial Flux – Just found this one on Kickstarter today. It’s a “pixel art style text adventure set in space”. It’s got spaceships though, so there ya go…;)
Finally, just to let y’all know, tomorrow night I’ll be doing a live interview with Tyler Yohe of Broken Crown Games about their upcoming game, Escaping Titan, over Google Hangout. I’ve never done a Google Hangout interview before, let ALONE a live interview, so this’ll be interesting, and of course you’re all invited. Once I figure out where the heck it’ll be I’ll put the link up here and on Facebook and Twitter. Hope to see some of y’all there. :)
That’s it for today folks. Thanks for visiting and reading!
Continue reading “Spacey Game News 1/30/12: Video Deluge” »
beyond beyaan, Deep Space Settlement, dominion, drifter, endless space, escaping titan, eve online, FTL, skyjacker, spatial flux, star citizen, star trek online, strike suit zero
Hey y’all, I’m still on break, so no news post today, but I was politely and specifically asked to post this one thing, so I figured why not? ;) The folks at Broken Crown Games are gonna be working on an upcoming game called Escaping Titan which has to build a spaceship and fly it off Titan, which sounds sufficiently spacey to me. The neat thing, though, is that first, they’re launching a “Science Behind the Sci-Fi” panel, which is a “unique chance for gamers and scientists alike to get a behind-the-scenes glance on a games development by following PhDs scientist consultants as they discuss the science from their respective fields that will be translated into the final game content. ” Sounds nifty, right? I love the melding of actual science with sci-fi, so this sounds pretty cool. I’ll post the press release after the cut, and the panel has begun on their forums.
The second cool bit of news — and they let me have this as an exclusive, yay! — is that their first live appearance will be on March 15th at MegaCon in Orlando. That same day they’ll be launching a Kickstarter for their game, and they’ll have an “Early Bird Special” limited reward tier where you can get the game in its entirety for one freaking dollar. I’ve never seen a gaming Kickstarter that offered the GAME for $1, so I think that’s pretty dang cool. :) I figured that was cool enough to get its own post. ;) Again, happy new year folks, and I’ll keep you posted on more developments regarding this. :) Have an awesome day!
Press Release Right This Way!