*glug* SO MUCH *glug* NEWS
AAHHH! SO MUCH NEWS and DEALS! I’m drowning in it! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalp!
- *coughing up water* Okay, here’s a bit that both news and a deal! HAH! Didn’t expect that one huh? So y’all remember Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space? Well apparently the folks behind it, Infinite Space Games, severed ties with the folks at Shrapnel Games and can now sell their games on places like Desura and Steam for much cheaper than before. Speaking of cheap, it’ll also be on IndieGameStand starting next Monday! AWESOME. There’s also a new launch trailer you can watch by clicking the link or watching it below. :) This is awesome, as these guys deserve more sales.
- In other big news, Kerbal Space Program will soon be “sandbox complete” with what they’re calling their biggest update yet. To celebrate this and their second anniversary, they’ll be hosting a KerbalKon on November 30th with dev talks, interviews, contests and more! I hope to get an early review copy so I can finally, seriously dive into it and hopefully not crash every time I try to fly anything. ;)
- There’s a lot of Endless Space news today, including a new dev blog entry talking about multiplayer, a new trailer over on Facebook (which is too big to embed below) and a new review over on TruePCGaming.
- Over on the Kickstarter for Limit Theory, Josh wrote a little entry about reaching his funding goals, as did Rock, Paper Shotgun.
- In Star Citizen news, there’s an interview with Chris Roberts from PressPlayOnline (which I’ll embed below) as well as a new FAQ covering insurance and more.
- On the Kickstarter for Dominion – Episode 1, there’s word of a new screenshot and an updated video for the pitch.
- The FTL folks have an update on their Kickstarter page regarding those waiting for physical rewards.
- There a review of Miner Wars 2081 over on Green Lit Gaming.
- Finally, there’s an article on IncGamers about how the publisher model prevented Elite: Dangerous from being made. No further comment on that.
You thought I was done?! HAH, I’ve barely BEGUN! Now we have DEALS!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! First, the dev behind Dangerous let me know that his game is on sale on GamersGate, where you can the game itself for $10, the soundtrack for $4, or the deluxe edition (which includes both) for $12.50. That isn’t all GamersGate has for us today. They also have:
AND THAT’S NOT ALL! The folks at Green Man Gaming are having an Iceberg Interactive sale, which includes these spacey games:
FINALLY, over on the Concept Ships blog, they have some lovely ship designs from Dmitry Vishnevsky.
OMG I can breathe again! WHEW! That took pretty much my entire lunch break to write, so I hope y’all enjoyed it. Have a great day!
Continue reading “Spacey Gamey Newsies and Dealsies – 11/27/12” »
arvoch alliance, arvoch conflict, dangerous, dominion, elite: dangerous, endless space, evochron legends, FTL, Kerbal Space Program, limit theory, miner wars 2081, sol exodus, star citizen, star ruler, starpoint gemini, sword of the stars, weird worlds return to infinite space
OMG THE SALES! RUN! SAVE YOURSELVES!
Happy Black Friday y’all! I hope y’all had a lovely Thanksgiving here in the US, and I hope y’all are jumping on all the sales today. In trying to help y’all out, I’m putting this post all the non-Steam sales on spacey games I can find. Here we go:
Warning: LONG List Ahead!
Armada 2526, Armada 2526 Supernova, arvoch alliance, arvoch conflict, dark horizon, darkstar one, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, endless space, evochron legends, Evochron Mercenary, Evochron Renegades, Galactic Civilizations I, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, genesis rising, Haegemonia - Legion of Iron, Haegemonia - The Solon Heritage, master of orion, Master of Orion III, o.r.b., Outforce, sins of a solar empire trinity, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, Smugglers IV - Doomsday, sol exodus, Space Trade, star ruler, star wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, Starships Unlimited v3, stellar impact, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, x3 albion prelude, x3 reunion, X3: Gold Edition, X3: Terran Conflic
SO. MUCH. NEWS.
Hey y’all, haven’t done one of these in a while, but a decent amount of newsy news has come down the pike since the last round of Snippets, so let’s buckle up and dive in, shall we?
- Space Sector has their Drox Operative preview up, which is a great read. If you haven’t checked mine out yet, you can read that too. ;)
- There’s a ton of Endless Space chatter going on right now, including a series of After Actions Reports (Parts 1, 2, and 3) from Space Sector as well as articles from Nerd Age and Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- According to GamesIndustry.biz, long-time Star Trek Online designer Dan Griffis is resigning in a few weeks to follow up on a new opportunity.
- Rock, Paper Shotgun also has another excellent article up discussing Skyjacker, which is a great read. They also have a new team-member and a new media campaign, according to this Kickstarter update, as well as some new screenshots on their official site. Don’t forget Skyjacker still has a Kickstarter going.
- The Starlight Inception Kickstarter page has a new update entitled “Inside the Ready Room” which is a fairly detailed status update on how the game is progressing.
- Besides my own look at the game, there are a lot of new Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion reviews out, including at PC Gamer, GameSpy, NeoSeeker, Space Sector and Gaming Trend.
- The PlaySF blog has quite a few new articles, including a Q&A with Michael Shade of Fishlabs regarding Galaxy on Fire’s upcoming PC release, a review of Arvoch Alliance, a Q&A with 1C’s Sergey Gerasev, a Q&A with Keith Newton of I-Novae studios about their game Infinity, and an article entitled Explore And Expand, Or Exploit And Expire? regarding the apparent stagnation of 4X games.
- The Star Made blog on IndieDB has been updated with articles covering a new graphics upgrade, space stations, docking modules and the game’s infinite universe.
- The Blockade Runner site has been updated with models of a TIE Fighter, a carrier and more.
- There’s a new video for Ring Runners detailing their fourth archetype, Arsenals. I’ll also embed this after the cut.
- In Freespace Open news, a new campaign has been released entitled Luyten Civil War which looks pretty sweet.
- There’s a new trailer for Legends of Pegasus which looks pretty dang sweet, and which I’ll also embed after the cut.
- The Beyond Beyaan blog has been updated with entries on a new economy system and another look at squadrons.
- Whereas before it was only available on Steam, you can now purchase SOL: Exodus on Desura as well!
- In non-gamey news, the Concept Ships blog has been on a roll of late, with excellent entries from Carlo Arellano, Maciej Kuciara, Tuomas Korpi, Galan Pang and Fausto De Martini.
- Finally in non-gamey news, EW.com has a gallery of what they feel are the 23 Coolest Onscreen Spaceships ever. I agree with a lot of the list, but Serenity at #17? I cry shenanigans. Clearly that’s the best ship ever. Science says so. ;)
Whew, that’s a lot! *pant pant* ;) I hope y’all enjoyed it and found it useful! Don’t forget if y’all find news that I’ve not covered, you can send it my way with the contact form. Have a great day!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 6-27-12” »
arvoch alliance, beyond beyaan, blockade runner, drox operative, endless space, galaxy on fire, infinity, legends of pegasus, skyjacker, sol exodus, star made, star trek online, starlight inception
It's a Supernova of News!!!
Heeeeelllo everyone, how y’all been? Me, I’ve been busy, not only with work, but with some articles for here as well, so a lot of news has happened in the interim. I’ve got a ton to go through, so let’s get started:
- According to Eurogamer, the long, long, long delayed fan-based project, Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn will finally, FINALLY be released on March 22. I know I’ll be trying out this bad boy. You can also see a trailer below after the cut.
- There’s a mod being planned for The Ur-Quan Masters that will be called Project 6014 according to this forum post. This mod takes place shortly after the end of Star Control II, so it should be a good time.
- In the world of EVE Online, Eve News 24 has a fascinating article about a few folks two trillion ISK due to exploits in the contract system. The dev blog also has new entries on little improvements, a streaming FanFest feed, launcher issues and price indices for February.
- In Starfarer news, Space Sector has their own look at the game, which also got a new version released recently.
- RTSGuru has some tidbits about beta updates and changes to the current beta version of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.
- There’s a new blog entry regarding Starfare that involves modding that looks pretty neat.
- PC Magazine has a list of the “10 Classic Computer RPGs” and, as I’d hoped, Starflight makes the list.
- According to folks at the recent Game Developers Conference (GDC), folks compared Miner Wars 2081 to Descent, Freespace and Red Faction, which seems fair I s’pose. There’s also a new version of the game available for beta testers.
- Speaking of the GDC, the folks behind FTL: The Game wrote up a little recap of their experience there. Their Kickstarter page also recently passed $100,000. Woooow!
- There’s a new patch available for Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter that has a few critical fixes.
- Over on the Beyond Beyaan blog, Brent admits he’s never played Master of Orion on impossible difficulty, and then discusses the result of his first attempt to do so. He also has entries on his game, covering topics like the combat screen (video embedded below), a tutorial and a new version!
- There’s a new version of Arvoch Alliance available that fixes a few things, but not the difficulty wall, apparently *grumble*. Thanks Blue’s News for the tip.
- Apparently the composer for the music in Descent Freespace and Freespace 2, Dan Wentz, is now on the Hard Light Productions forums to get help making remixes of the music from those games. AWESOME!
- According to VG247, the lead ship designer for Star Trek Online, Adam Williams (blog with ship designs here), has left Crpytic to join Bungie. Sad, since I did love the designs of STO.
- There’s a new version of Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator, according to this forum post,, which adds among other things, a GM console! Cool!
- There’s a new version of Kerbal Space Program that you can buy in their store, according to their dev blog.
- There’s an update for the exceptional Really Big Sky over on Steam.
- Out of Eight Reviews has reviewed both Star Hammer Tactics as well as Lunar Flight.
- If you want more Lunar Flight reviews, you can head over to Impulse Gamer, MetaGem and IGN Germany.
- In somewhat related gamey news, Cliff Harris — the bloke behind Gratiutous Space Battles — is now taking pre-orders for his new game, Gratuitous Tank Battles, which looks pretty cool.
- Finally, in non-gamey news, the Concept Ships blog has some fantastic concept art for spaceships from an upcoming web-comic called Carpe Chaos that look REALLY cool, so check out parts 1, 2 and 3.
WHEW! That was a lot! Thanks for reading y’all, and have a great weekend!
Continue reading “Spacey Snippets – 3-16-12” »
Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator, arvoch alliance, beyond beyaan, Descent, Descent: Freespace, eve online, freespace 2, galaxy of fire 2 hd, gratuitous space battles, Gratuitous Tank Battles, Kerbal Space Program, Lunar Flight, master of orion, miner wars 2081, Project 6014, really big sky, Red Faction, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, star control 2, star hammer tactics, star trek online, starfarer, starflight, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, The Ur-Quan Masters, Wing Commander Saga The Darkest Dawn
Plenty of Spacey Games for Sale on GamersGate!
GamersGate has a ton of spacey game deals, including:
For my money, the best deals there are for Master of Orion II, Sword of the Stars Complete and Space Rangers 2: Reboot, but many of those are great games. Enjoy!!
arvoch alliance, arvoch conflict, dark horizon, darkstar one, Evochron Mercenary, Evochron Renegades, genesis rising, lost empire, lost empire immortals, master of orion, master of orion ii battle at antares, really big sky, space force: rogue universe, space rangers, Space Rangers 2, star assault, sword of the stars, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, the tomorrow war
I saw this screen a lot...
At the end of the last article covering Arvoch Alliance, Lieutenant Veloxi kept dying repeatedly during the forth mission, entitled “Springing the Trap”. Read on to find out how I got passed that mission, and why the remainder of my six hours with the game reminded me of an old Dane Cook bit. Don’t worry, it was back when he was funny.
Continue reading “Arvoch Alliance – Dead Again…and Again…and Again…and One More Time…” »
Instead of "ho ho ho" he says "pew pew pew". ;)
So it’s the time of year where presents must be bought, whether for friends or loved ones, and if you have that person in your life that loves space games, or is new to space games and wants to play more, it can be confusing to know what to get ‘em. There are a goodly amount of choices out there when it comes to computer-based space games, but they all cater to different desires. Does the person for whom you plan to buy a space game prefer piloting a spaceship? Or maybe they want to be more of a tactician, commanding their forces like an admiral, or maybe they want to even control an entire space empire?
I’ve thought of the games that are still for sale these days, whether newish or not, and have come up with a list that I feel could cater to any space game fan, new or old. Click below to check out the list, complete with links to the various places you can buy the games listed.
Continue reading “2011 Space Game Holiday Buying Guide” »
ai war fleet command, arvoch alliance, distant worlds, Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi, distant worlds legends, Evochron Mercenary, freespace 2, Independence War, independence war 2, master of orion, master of orion ii battle at antares, nexus the jupiter incident, space pirates and zombies, Space Rangers 2, star wolves, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, starpoint gemini, x3 terran conflict
After completing my training, as noted in the previous article, I, Space Pilot Veloxi, decided to be recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the…wait, that’s not it. Yes, I decided to join the Alliance and defend the Evochron quadrant from the nasty folks in the Federation. No, not THAT Federation – the blokes from Star Trek, who seem pretty personable – no, this was the EVIL Federation. I know that because their ships show up red on my H.U.D. Yes, join me as I venture forth to battle the evil Federation in the our first foray into AA’s campaign.
Continue reading “Arvoch Alliance – Lots of Shooting, Some Mining and Some Dying…” »
Woo Hoo Indeed. :)
So it’s been kinda quiet around here, and I’m sorry about that. The holiday kicked by butt, and I needed time to recover. I therefore wanted to give y’all an update as to what was going on. :)
Continue reading “Kinda Off-Topic: Good News and Better News :)” »
OMG so tired...
So on Thanksgiving, my girl and I drove up to San Francisco to hang out, see the sights and go to the Dickens Fair! Welp, we came back yesterday…with EVERYONE ELSE in the damned state. What’s usually a five to six hour drive was a ten hour drive, and to be honest, I am EXHAUSTED.
I was totally planning on diving back into Arvoch Alliance tonight, but honestly folks, I don’t think I have the energy, so I hope y’all don’t mind waiting another day or two for me to resume my coverage of AA. Thanks for reading and understanding, and I hope y’all had a lovely weekend. :)
Edit: So I just watched G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and feel much better. ;) I needed something brainless and explosive, and that fit the bill. Gd’nite y’all. :)