Spacey Game Newsies and Dealsies 7/24/13: Getting-Back-On-The-Horse Edition
Hellllloooooooooo my beloved friends, how are you? I hope y’all are having an excellent hump day so far. On my end, I’ve not played much lately, but I did see Pacific Rim again last night, which was awesomely exhausting. If y’all haven’t seen it, you NEED to, especially on as big as screen as possible. We’re not here to talk movies, though (unless it’s Pacific Rim talk, then CHAT AWAY), but videyagames, so let’s get to it!
- Atari Properties – The big news on the minds of spacey gamers is where Atari’s various properties have landed. According to these court documents (thanks Goomich!), Wargaming is the new owner of the Master of Orion IP, while Stardock now owns the Star Control IP. You can read more on The Escapist and IncGamers about the Star Control acquisition, and there’s a post from Stardock’s Brad Wardell about the acquisition. Thanks to Blues for the links. I’m honestly not entirely sure how to feel about this news, but it’s too early to decide whether this is a good or bad thing. Stardock has said they want to start work on a Star Control reboot this year, but will it be the same? I mean, we already have the Ur-Quan Masters after all. I guess we’ll see what happens in time. What do you guys think?
- Homeworld – Over on Polygon, the Gearbox folks go into detail on how they aquired the Homeworld IP from THQ in their bankruptcy auctions.
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager – Last week I went to Slitherine and Matrix Games’ presentation at Historicon, which included a lot of info about this game. I’ll be writing my own report soon, but they’ve also posted their presentation as well, along with a video from Buzz Aldrin himself, who sadly had to cancel his appearance at the event. Lots of good stuff in there.
- Ring Runner – IGN has released a Let’s Try video of them playing the game, which I’ll also embed below. I’m currently working on a review of this one, so stay tuned.
- Star Citizen – There’s a new galactic guide to Hurston Dynamics to add some more in-universe flavor.
- Vendetta Online – There’s a new version of the game that adds high-res planets, procedural nebula backgrounds and more. They also have added Oculus Rift support to the game.
- Beyond Beyaan – There’s a new blog post detailing some new demo races and more race information in the game for y’all to read.
- Galactose – You can now read about cruiser parts and debris in their latest blog post.
- Star Conflict – A new update entitled “New Frontiers” adds T5 level ships, new hangers and a new PvE mission.
- AI War – The latest update, entitled “More Dirty Tricks“, allows you to play some new tricks on the AI.
- Star Trek Online – There are two new entries in their Legacy of Romulus series, and they’ve also had visits from Massively and Priority One.
- Endless Space – The folks over at CheatMasters have a review of the Disharmony expansion pack, which I say with no further comment. ;)
- Deep Space Settlement – There’s a new video of a station tower in the game which I’m posting only because I wanna stop being nagged about it. ;) (Not really, it looks cool, but still…) I’ll also embed the video below.
In deals, there’s another bundle to tell ya about, the Summertide Bundle from Indie Gala which includes the fantastic Space Pirates and Zombies and a ton of other games for $6.42 currently, which is a steal people.
Finally, in related news, the folks at Camel 101 — who made the fun, if flawed Gemini Wars — are making a new tactical combat game called Black Talons, and sent over a teaser trailer for y’all to check out.
That’s it for today folks. Have a great one! :)